Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2019, 15:17   #46
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped

I own a Storme since 2014, and I fall in love with it every time I see and drive my Storme.
To date, there is no other SUV which can match the space, comfort, road presence, and cult following which the brand Name SAFARI holds.

I wish TATA motors brings a new body on frame, more modern, more brute offroader, like the REAL SUV, so that we the SAFARI OWNERS UNITED can RECLAIM OUR LIFE again.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-img_20170929_163626.jpg  

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-img_20170930_145318.jpg  

v_safari is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 15:20   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Safari started the SUV love for me. My granddad had the first gen and I used to insist my dad to exchange our car with this for a few days. And I used to sit in the car for hours and explore the unseen features. Storme was a complete disaster when compared to the original one.

But it was definitely an icon and many fell in love with SUV's after seeing this. And add this amazing ad which still excites me.

But it was a wise decision from Tata to pull the plug. And I really hope they recreate something like the original Safari.
naveen.raju is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 15:43   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

As the Safari bows out - this would also start ringing the closing bells for the 2.2 Varicor I'm suspecting. Hexa would go offline for some months as mentioned by @ram87pune on a different thread & will come back later in 2020 with a BSVI compliant engine.

All unofficial communication off course. But I think the 2.2 Varicor will now move out from passenger car duties into more of a commercial power unit.

Hopefully a 2.0 Transverse mounting capable DICOR resurrection is in the works at TML. More of a prayer this!
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 15:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
As the Safari bows out - this would also start ringing the closing bells for the 2.2 Varicor I'm suspecting. Hexa would go offline for some months as mentioned by @ram87pune on a different thread & will come back later in 2020 with a BSVI compliant engine.

All unofficial communication off course. But I think the 2.2 Varicor will now move out from passenger car duties into more of a commercial power unit.

Hopefully a 2.0 Transverse mounting capable DICOR resurrection is in the works at TML. More of a prayer this!
The 2.2 Varicor isn't going anywhere for the time being and will be returning in its BS6 avatar in the Hexa next year. Also there are slim chances that this engine will be used in the Harrier/Gravitas duo maybe with the facelift whenever it comes and Tata will end their contract with Fiat for the 2.0 Multujet as that engine and Fiat both are proving troubleful for Tata from the very beginning.
ram87pune is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 16:01   #50
Team-BHP Support

This was inevitable but still feeling sad after seeing this thread. Truly an icon in the Indian automotive scene. I hope the next vehicle to adorn the Safari badge will live up to the expectations. I wanted to buy the Storme 4x4 in 2014, but the price was too high for the VX version and Tata did not provide 4x4 in lower trims.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 17:11   #51
BHPian

Well it takes decades to build a brand. Sad to see Tata axing it. As a car Safari has its plus and minuses and was selling much less than Scorpio, its main competitor. Hexa is priced higher. It could have been an opportunity for Tata to continue this brand and increase its presence by fixing the weakness. Case lost.
busydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 17:28   #52
BHPian

Every journey has it’s end and thus successful and joyful journey of Safari moniker is coming to end. I didn’t own it but being first home grown SUV makes me feel proud about it. The sheer road presence, powerful engine and go anywhere ability made Safari perfect combination for hardcore SUV lovers. Feeling very sad that we will not see any new Safari hereafter. But we should hope this Safari will make comeback with bang in BS6 avatar.
sandeepsc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 18:00   #53
BHPian

I just reached home after completing an 800 km trip in a Safari. Then I open Team-BHP and I see this news.

Am I sad? Yes, not because the Safari in current avatar is being discontinued, but because Tata failed to capitalize on the brand name. BS6, crash worthiness were all announced long back and Tata very well knew it was coming. But they decided to kill the brand. They should learn from Mahindra on how to stay updated.
I drove a 2012 Dicor which has done about 43K kms. The car had a lot of broken plastic pieces and a crude looking interior. The gearshifts were cumbersome. I often drive a Scorpio of the same vintage and I feel it has aged well compared to this truck. The car was comfortable though. Once you are out of dense traffic, it is a very comfortable cruiser. It dismissed bad patches like they never existed. The road presence helped a lot in the narrow 2 lane roads of Kerala. The state transport buses that were coming from the opposite direction almost always waited until they passed me so that they can start their overtaking maneuver. I am sure they would have forced me out of the road if I was in a hatchback. Will I have bought one? No, I'd have bought the Hexa if I was looking for a comfortable cruiser. I will not miss the truck, but the brand.
DieselAddikt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 18:23   #54
Senior - BHPian

After owning 3 Safari's and covered more than half of India in it. I still feel its comfort level is unmatched in the segment. We had Safari right from initial version of TCIC to latest along with various avatars of Scorpios, Boleros, Xylos (budget SUVs).
Except TCIC safari, none of the safari models gave us any trouble other than periodic maintenance. Initial model of 2.2 Dicor was driven more than 3 lac kms before being sold of and other than consumables nothing major happened. Only if Tata Motors would have more focused on production QC , ASS and brand building, things would have been different.
What a coincidence that i sold my Safari 4x4 a week back.

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-safari-2.jpg

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-safari-1.jpg

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-safari-storme.jpg
Shubhendra is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 18:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

Before the craze for Fortuner and the likes, there was Safari. Back in 2005, dad wanted to buy Safari but I stopped him and eventually we got Baleno 1.6. Safari brought in emotions that very few cars could and actually it had ability to fly over broken roads. Safari and Indica laid foundation for modern day Tata cars to be accepted in mass market (sumo too came close). Sierra, Safari are products that will forever remain in our hearts, the appeal was something unique.
Am now really wondering what will happen to Army orders ? Is the order from Army completed ? Will Tata motors specially produce Safari for Army ?
aaggoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 20:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Tata had to do this at some point. And its better to let go off certain legacy brands at the right time rather than hang on to it for ever. Tata has the Gravitas, a BS6 Hexa and probably an updated and a better Harrier on the way. So that sort of takes care of the 15-25 lakh segment in a big way. They need to get quality levels consistently right first. If they do this, and plus if they have automatics, they would have probably done 90% right for the end user. However, currently the cars from Tata lack that consistency. Quality levels of the Harrier have come under criticism, and rightfully so. This is hygiene now, not aspirational anymore.
Old 28th November 2019, 21:40   #57
BHPian

Oh, I just asked this question..... this is helpful. I was really in the process of buying one... a new one.

And though this is an iconic vehicle, I have to listen to my mind over my heart. It is going to lower the resale values considerably. Maybe I shall go for a used one.
Old 28th November 2019, 22:52   #58
BHPian

A few years back, I didn't understand what the big fuss about this car was. Oh boy, did I realize how wrong I was the moment I sat inside of one (Storme)! It was luxurious to say the least. Even now, I feel that something the likes of an Endeavour doesn't impress me much in terms of cabin ergonomics as much as the Safari did; price to value ratio kept in mind of course. A family friend owned two of them- Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-screenshot_20191128224627__01.jpg

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-screenshot_20191128224718__01.jpg

No wonder the Safari is such an emotion!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 00:27   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I think the moniker should be laid to rest too, at least for the near future.

'Safari' evokes a special emotion, and it will take a special car to wear that badge.
So true. IMO I will want to see the next Safari to be a true Safari, not a 7 seater for sure (even this one was not really one). It should weigh much less. And most important of all it should be the one to go everywhere, both, a capable 4x4 and a good highway stormer, no less. No more ladder frame, maybe with a solid Defender derived chassis.
And the tag line should be. The Indian Explorer.

Last edited by zulfi hansi : 29th November 2019 at 00:29. Reason: adding
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 09:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octy17 View Post
Sad day indeed. Is someone cutting onions here? I have tears in my eyes while reading this article.
No Sir, onions have become very expensive these days
Very well maintained Safari and I like the way you call it "He"

Tata should actually offer a Nano free with all these humongous SUV's since using them is todays city traffic is a Huge challenge.
I keep telling this to couple of my friends who own HEXA.

I never found Safari to be the only car which a family could own ( From my perspective ), but the desire to drive one and be seen in one is really strong.Also Sad is that No one ever made a SCALE model of Safari!

All good things must come to end, but the legacy still stays on.

Last edited by silverado : 29th November 2019 at 09:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks