Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2020, 00:39   #16
BHPian

re: MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansh singhania View Post
I don't understand why this model would be aiming for the 15-17 lakh price bracket since mg already sells a decent number of the hector and it wouldn't make sense for the ZS.
Agreed. MG ZS doesn't have an extensive length of equipment as well. Driven it in Dubai. Definitely doesn't have any oomph for MG to quote it more than 13 Lakhs in India.
Gixxy.danger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 15:19   #17
Team-BHP Support

From the test reports that I have seen, the 1.5 litre engine is mediocre but the 1.0 triple turbo makes a big difference.

Best version of the lot is the electric one though
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 18:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansh singhania View Post
I don't understand why this model would be aiming for the 15-17 lakh price bracket since mg already sells a decent number of the hector and it wouldn't make sense for the ZS.
+1
Positioning of the ZS will be a big trouble for MG as the Internet car is already competing with the Creta-Seltos duo.
Better offer a diesel+automatic combo with the Hector and mint more money from that!
Nazaar25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 12:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

India bound MG ZS petrol facelift spied testing.

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-smartselect_20200910122053_chrome.jpg

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...testing-418547
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 14:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
+1
Positioning of the ZS will be a big trouble for MG as the Internet car is already competing with the Creta-Seltos duo.
Better offer a diesel+automatic combo with the Hector and mint more money from that!
I actually feel the positioning of ZS will be a huge trouble for Creta/Seltos duo. If MG is able to price the much bigger Hector at just about 10% more cost, then the Korean Siblings, imagine the ZS top end arriving at 15 odd lakh OTR! IMO only MG can stop the Creta/Seltos duo.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 14:51   #21
BHPian

I'm not sure how much it will dent the Korean Duo
Firstly, all the Hector Petrol Owners can vouch for the FE that they're getting
Secondly the Chinese brand may not click with the common man with the current ongoing situation.

Hyundai & Kia are established brands with reliable products over time.
MG on the other hand is new & selling good number of Hectors, However will the ZS actually be able to dent the Creta & Seltos ....err I don't think so.

The ZS has a very puny look when compared to the SUVs in that segment
(only other being Duster at the moment )
As far as I remember, the ZS seemed small in the Auto Expo held in Fev'20
- Can pricing sweeten the deal is a big challenge, because its the HIGH RIDING POSITION which really matters if its a SUV
FIAT3031 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 15:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
Secondly the Chinese brand may not click with the common man with the current ongoing situation.
Two different things here.
1) Hector's petrol-diesel sales ratio is roughly 50%-50%. Which indicates the petrol itself enjoys pretty great sales, irrespective of the FE.
2) Regarding the chinese ownership factor, that has not resulted in any sales dip for MG Hector. Infact, Hector buyers are still bearing wait times due to the demand it carries. IMO, people simply don't care about the ownership, when they are spending closed to 20 big one's and simply want the car which they like.

Quote:
MG on the other hand is new & selling good number of Hectors, However will the ZS actually be able to dent the Creta & Seltos ....err I don't think so.
People thought the same about Hector. Guess, what the demand is still there. From whatever interactions I have had with the Hector owners, they are very satisfied with the MG ASS till now.

Quote:
- Can pricing sweeten the deal is a big challenge, because its the HIGH RIDING POSITION which really matters if its a SUV
I agree with this point. ZS does not have that flat bonnet and high seating position expected of a SUV in this segment. That said, the dimensions are slightly bigger than Creta and that can nullify the absence of high seating position factor to some extent.

IMO, the pricing will play a key role. If they manage to price the top end variant about 3.5-5L (and they can) rupees cheaper than a Seltos/Creta equivalent, surely this can turn into a winner.

Last edited by 07CR : 10th September 2020 at 15:13.
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 15:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Looks like they are evaluating two types of Petrol engines.
1.5L and 1.3L
MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-zs.jpg
kpzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 23:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
The current situation is only affecting MG among those who were already against the brand due to its Chinese ownership. The real customers don't really care about the ownership of a car's brand's ownership, just like the Maruti buyers who do not care about the safety of their cars! As long as a car is practical, reliable and decently refined, no one really complains about a car!

Quote:
There have been several cases in the Indian Automotive industry where a inferior looking new product has demolished the market share of a well-established car! The Ambassador-800 case is the biggest example of this!
Also, with competition coming right, left and centre in next 2-3 years via Toyota-Suzuki, Ford-Mahindra and VW-Skoda, the Hyundai-Kia dominance is anyways going to end in next 3-4 years (Kia atleast!) and the ZS might just start the wave as according to my observations, MG has developed a much more premium presence in the market.

Quote:
The ZS EV actually has fairly good road presence and a fairly high riding stance and the same is expected from the ZS petrol. The Creta though, might have an edge over the ZS in terms of road presence.
Anyways, MG's excellent Marketing Team will take care of this aspect and will definitely find a way to nullify any possible negative impact of this aspect!

Also, the S-Cross used to sell fairly good an year back and even sold around 3000 units last month. Hence, I don't think the market for crossovers which look like crossovers, is small. It's just that the potential of such cars has not been explored yet!
theAutomaniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 16:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Looks like they are evaluating two types of Petrol engines.
1.5L and 1.3L
Attachment 2054013
The 1.3 is also a turbo petrol option that is available in two states of tune – 125hp and 230Nm, or an impressive 163hp. The 1.0 turbo petrol is a three cylinder unit, which is why they're probably hesitating to introduce it here. At 106 hp, it will be a bit underpowered for the segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
People thought the same about Hector. Guess, what the demand is still there. From whatever interactions I have had with the Hector owners, they are very satisfied with the MG ASS till now.
Full points to MG for ensuring that. I know people who burnt their clutch plates in the first year itself due to their habit of riding the clutch and MG has still gone ahead and replaced the same free of cost.

Last time I took my car for service, they vacuumed the interiors, did rubbing polish of the exterior, with me not even asking for it.
Old 11th September 2020, 18:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Last time I took my car for service, they vacuumed the interiors, did rubbing polish of the exterior, with me not even asking for it.
Great, I quite like the car. I would love to hear an ownership review of Hector on Team Bhp. If I am not wrong, there's only one ownership review of Hector.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 18:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Great, I quite like the car. I would love to hear an ownership review of Hector on Team Bhp. If I am not wrong, there's only one ownership review of Hector.
I'm just waiting for the 15k service. Post which I'll start an ownership thread. So far, it's been a satisfying ownership experience.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 17:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

MG ZS Petrol facelift spied testing

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-smartselect_20200914172114_twitter.jpg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-smartselect_20200914172232_twitter.jpg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-smartselect_20200914172132_twitter.jpg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-smartselect_20200914172158_twitter.jpg

Video link

https://twitter.com/MotorBeam/status...014818305?s=19

Source : MotorBeam
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 09:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

MG ZS Petrol spied with LED projectors

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-smartselect_20201030085844_chrome.jpg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-smartselect_20201030085859_chrome.jpg

https://www.rushlane.com/mg-zs-petro...-12381304.html
Old 29th December 2020, 09:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

MG ZS Petrol spied with single tone and dual tone alloys

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_16092155337001770.jpg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_16092155370933783.jpg

Source : Rushlane
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks