Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2021, 09:05   #166
BHPian

Re: MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled

While the features and tech pack looks interesting and definitely provides a very competent alternative to Koreans, I just wish MG acts miserly with the badging.

That "internet inside" badge was a big turn off. Hopefully there is no "AI inside" badging on this one! 🤞
SinghShu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 09:36   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I feel what's really interesting with both these (XUV 7OO and Astor) unveils is how they are showcasing their partnership with other companies. Mahindra made it known to the world that they are working with reputed companies like Sony, Visteon, Mobileye, etc. Same was the case with Astor today.

The presentation from Rajeev Chaba also had a showcase from the respective company representatives for each of these technologies (from what I remember) -

Now that's really nice compared to the earlier silent vendor model. Also I'm guessing that with each main vendors name made public, they will be more inclined to bring their ace game to the table.
Is it a ploy to make sure the vendor delivers high quality stuff so that people do not bad mouth them. Because now the public will know who(which vendor) exactly messed up when some of the parts go bad.
Old 19th August 2021, 10:51   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNA411 View Post
I believe you are right about 1.5 NA with 120 hp but the article here got me excited on the engine with mild hybrid generating 140 hp and hence the question.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...189106176.html

Last edited by SDP : 19th August 2021 at 23:13. Reason: Typo
Old 19th August 2021, 11:35   #169
Senior - BHPian

I hope MG has learnt it's lesson with Gloster pricing. IMO, they could have priced it lower, as compared to the rivals, but they went a bit overboard for profits.

With the XUV700 pricing, MG needs to offer similar bang for buck (like they did with Hector in 2019), for gaining a foothold with Astor. Since it's coming only with a petrol motor, a 8L rupee starting range will grab many eyeballs!
If they go with similar approach of Nissan (Magnite), they could offer the 1.5 NA engine in the top end, and at ridiculosly low prices of 11-12L.

I hope they do it again. As someone else said above, on paper atleast, if someone needs only 5 seats and relatively small size, but a crossover, Astor could be a very compelling option. For everyone else, there's the XUV700!

These two could destroy the competition completely.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 11:50   #170
BHPian

I just got my ZS EV and couldnt be happier (warning the mods: ownership review incoming). This is a more complete car feature-wise. I only wish they released their PHEV here.
lina is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 11:58   #171
BHPian

Good work by MG providing ADAS. However, I missed the Driver Drowsiness Detection which the XUV 700 has. I wonder why?
Old 19th August 2021, 13:26   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
3) 1.3 "3" cylinder Turbo - Powerful engine, but could be a bit noisy for having only 3 cylinders. Psychologically, paying north of 17L for 3 cylinder engine makes me
Are you sure it is a 3 cylinder? I was thinking it is a four pot unit similar to the one in kicks. If it is indeed 3, it will be a big minus in addition to the lack of a diesel.
Old 19th August 2021, 13:33   #173
BHPian

MG Astor looks promising. Should take head-on with the Korean twins with a lot of IoT and AI features.

I am sceptical about the ADAS effectiveness in the Indian context. Computer vision/object recognition is not something new but how effectively the car would react in the real world scenario (of bumper to bumper traffic) is something to be seen.

We have been listening to people after rear-ending someone that "You put the brake suddenly, I could not stop" or "The biker cut maar ke chala gaya". What will happen in such a situation now? People would say "ADAS ne brake maar diya, main kya karun"

Also, the AI Assistant looks too obstructive to me. Anything in the line of vision during driving can cause serious mishaps. I hope it only does its animation while you are stationary.
HP-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 13:36   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
Are you sure it is a 3 cylinder? I was thinking it is a four pot unit similar to the one in kicks. If it is indeed 3, it will be a big minus in addition to the lack of a diesel.
Yes it is indeed! I did quite a bit of research last month on it. You can find reviews for ZST variant which was launched this year with 1.3L engine.

For reference adding a link to Aus variant review.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-rev...#disqus_thread
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 13:39   #175
BHPian

A noob question, how is this car related to EV car sold in India? Same platform/underpinnings?
Old 19th August 2021, 14:22   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
A noob question, how is this car related to EV car sold in India? Same platform/underpinnings?
In simple terms, it is combustion engine version of ZS EV already sold here. Expect similar dimensions, space, interiors, boot, etc. This one (Astor) however is a facelift and has more goodies on offer.
ADI7YAK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 14:56   #177
BHPian

So we all like the Astor, huh?

Quick question: weren't we the same forum that unanimously dissed the 2020 Mahindra Thar for being too "Wrangler Lite"?

And now we all are liking the Astor? Are we sure?

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-picsart_081902.41.44.png

Okay, just checking, thanks.

The feature list looks good. The XUV7OO magic will force them to price it sensibly and trends dictate that more and more of these "out of reach" goodies like ADAS will trickle into more accessible price brackets. Happy days!

Personally I could never see myself driving a Chinese car no matter how tantalizing the price. Plus, those AI eyes are creepy as all hell. What do you do if you're driving late at night and those turn into angry slits?
Singh101 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 17:15   #178
BHPian

For everyone jumping into conclusions about ADAS compatibility with Indian roads, don’t! As a consumer, I’m really happy that someone is at least trying a new safety feature that only luxury cars had until a little while ago. So let’s give them a chance and see how they perform. And hey, worst case, you could always turn them off. Also, I don’t care if a car is Chinese or German or Indian as long as it’s safe and reliable. Let’s cut the pseudo patriotism and give MG a chance.
shibulijack is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 17:41   #179
AZT
BHPian

Good to see MG investing here and getting in more products. I'm not a fan of China but with Ford and Honda playing it safe we need some new competition to shake things up.

Can't believe we've already moved on from the Kushaq and justifying that price. The Astor is still a few months away (Diwali launch ??) and I see Kushaq being mainly hit. The Creta is a brand in itself and will remain unfazed.
Old 19th August 2021, 17:45   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I feel what's really interesting with both these (XUV 7OO and Astor) unveils is how they are showcasing their partnership with other companies. Mahindra made it known to the world that they are working with reputed companies like Sony, Visteon, Mobileye, etc. Same was the case with Astor today.

There was a recent thread on the forum where the dealer asked the buyer to get the infotainment system repaired directly by the vendor.

I hope making these names public doesnt mean that becomes the new normal.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks