Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2021, 14:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
MG Astor (ZS petrol) spied inside out

Attachment 2182765
Which is the car on the right side, is it the Aventurra? Helps to gauge the road presence. Good to see EPB with Auto Hold. I hope they provide some of the physical controls (especially the AC).
Old 23rd July 2021, 18:53   #92
Senior - BHPian

In the sea of 'flashy' Cretas & Seltos-es, this will look a bit plain-jane.

The grille reminds me of the preceding model Desire.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 07:02   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel17 View Post
Seems like it has gotten a bigger infotainment screen and the physical buttons have been eliminated.Interior looks a lot like the Creta.
Physical buttons present just below the touchscreen. Look closely.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 09:57   #94
BHPian

Well if it looks like the ZS, and the economies of making a single body would seem to indicate it will be, I’d be all over it. The ZS is a lovely little piece of automotive design when viewed in the metal. Looks elegant compared to the Cretas, Seltos’, XUVs and Dusters floating around. Very nice indeed.
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 14:09   #95
BHPian

Based on the reviews of the zst available in other countries, I feel Astor is going to be a formidable competition in its segment. The 1.3 turbo is a hoot to drive. The only shortcomings noted are the quality of speakers and soft suspensions. Soft suspensions are a issue with the Hector as well. If the suspension for 1.3 turbo are tuned slightly stiffer it will be a great car to drive.
Old 24th July 2021, 23:30   #96
BHPian

Having observed disruptive pricing across models from MG in India , I feel MG Astor has chance to grab volumes that even MG can’t imagine. They are certainly looking at 4000 volume a month which can be totally outnumbered. If they can price the higher variants of 1.5l with CVT around 15 lakh on road, it will be a good proposition. I seriously hope MG hits a sweet spot in pricing as everything else is already going in favor of the car . I’m certainly excited for the launch. Hope MG doesn’t disappoint.
Oomph11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 06:06   #97
Senior - BHPian

While we are also running a thread on Hondas forever upcoming midsize crossover, look at this action by MG as a contrast. The company is barely 2 years old, operates out of a renovated plant of a defunct manufacturer , is under a political cloud of negativity and suspicion for its origins, yet has launched 3 products and is ready with its fourth.
Honda India doesn't deserve much consideration and mindspace frankly, for all these years its been a one horse one pony show, and both those are part of dying segment. Kudos to MG for coming up with the Astor and may the best automaker survive for the benefit of the Indian consumer.
fhdowntheline is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 10:52   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto1212 View Post
MG Astor looks quite similar to MG ZST in UAE. When can we expect the launch?l]
The car in the UAE doesn’t have ADAS unfortunately. Seeing the lane guidance camera on the windscreen in the spy photos, I really hope it does come with the ADAS system.
Old 1st August 2021, 14:29   #99
Senior - BHPian

MG Astor spied testing in Rajasthan. Launch expected to be in the end of August.

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_1627808148138.jpg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_1627808150708.jpg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_1627808153500.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 19:49   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
The company is barely 2 years old, operates out of a renovated plant of a defunct manufacturer , is under a political cloud of negativity and suspicion for its origins, yet has launched 3 products and is ready with its fourth.
Agreed!

I’ll add that although it’ll take a little time for word to get around and credibility to be built, they’ve also really understood some of the pain points of owning a car in India and have gone to great lengths to address them. They’ve come up with excellent service packages and have ridiculously low pay-as-you-go service costs. We just did a paid oil change at the first service of our Hector Plus which is usually just a checkup, and it cost us an unbelievable 2500 bucks! I couldn’t believe it could be so low so I asked them twice and checked to make sure they’d actually flushed out the entire old oil and topped up from zero. They had! I have no doubt whatsoever that service costs over the course of a few years will be considerably less than any equivalent or even lower models from competitors (cough cough Hyundai cough).

Their follow ups have also been very good so far and they’ve been polite and responsive.

It’s been a touch of bad luck that the political climate has been what it has just when they launched but I think they clearly have a long-term vision and will get past it.

And as I’ve mentioned before, the ZS EV is a really beautiful looking car in the metal - pics don’t do it justice. I’d rate its looks over any crossover of its size below 20L. Even the Kushaq, albeit the fact the latter takes a more straight-lined, geometric approach in its design language. Paired with a good engine, I’d be all over it like white on rice.

Good times for consumers all told.

Last edited by RT13 : 1st August 2021 at 19:50.
RT13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 20:07   #101
BHPian

The steering- mounted controls, the locking mechanism, the overall design does look more like VW than a Chinese owned British brand design. Does it have to do anything with SAIC’s partnership with VW in China?
Old 1st August 2021, 20:12   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Good times for consumers all told.
This is the usual Chinese strategy, I can only on the above statement. Sorry, I am not being mean, again sorry to disappoint you my friend. Time will give the answer.
Old 1st August 2021, 21:46   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
This is the usual Chinese strategy, I can only on the above statement. Sorry, I am not being mean, again sorry to disappoint you my friend. Time will give the answer.
Yes, time will indeed tell the answer. It has already told the answer for some. They have just stopped looking at their watches.
Instead of waiting for that one coveted product, mass consumers will happily buy MG cars and trade in after 3-4 years. If the Astor succeeds, it will also ring a warning to the Koreans to stop taking their 10+ lac Rs segment leadership for granted.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 23:40   #104
BHPian

If only MG MOTORS was not chinese owned. Would have bought this one with closed eyes instead of Korean twins.
YashodhanGanu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 09:26   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomph11 View Post
The steering- mounted controls, the locking mechanism, the overall design does look more like VW than a Chinese owned British brand design. Does it have to do anything with SAIC’s partnership with VW in China?
You are correct. SAIC also makes cars for Volkswagen in China and the ZS EV that I saw had lots of parts from Volkswagen-Audi Group. In fact the cabin seemed more German than Chinese. Going by the pictures, safe to assume ZS Petrol (Astor) will have similar interior which I personally liked!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks