Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2021, 11:23   #241
BHPian

Re: MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I had seen the MG ZS EV too recently in Gurgaon and it is a well built car. I was also considering buying the ZS EV, but as my daily driving is 100 Km, I would need to charge it almost every 2nd day, which would be a bit of a limitation. So as of now, we have not gone for an EV.
You are the perfect candidate for an EV! Why would charging every other day be a problem? All you have to do is plug it in and go to sleep and it is ready by the morning. Or you can plug it in in the evening and it will be ready before you go to bed. MG provides two chargers with it and the faster 7KW one will charge it fully in around 7 hours. After running 100kms, you would have around 60 to 70% of the battery remaining and all you would need is a couple of hours of top up. The savings would be good. If you spend around 7 litres of petrol on your daily commute, it will cost you around Rs 750. On the EV you would pay only around Rs 100 or even lesser if you have a special EV tariff. So right off the bat you can save around 20k per month on fuel alone. I have the ZS EV and it is simply great. Yes, you will miss the ADAS though.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 12:12   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
You are the perfect candidate for an EV! Why would charging every other day be a problem? All you have to do is plug it in and go to sleep and it is ready by the morning. Or you can plug it in in the evening and it will be ready before you go to bed. MG provides two chargers with it and the faster 7KW one will charge it fully in around 7 hours. After running 100kms, you would have around 60 to 70% of the battery remaining and all you would need is a couple of hours of top up. The savings would be good. If you spend around 7 litres of petrol on your daily commute, it will cost you around Rs 750. On the EV you would pay only around Rs 100 or even lesser if you have a special EV tariff. So right off the bat you can save around 20k per month on fuel alone. I have the ZS EV and it is simply great. Yes, you will miss the ADAS though.
Thanks for sharing your views. Yes I know an EV would be feasible even at this stage, but In Gurgaon there is also no registration subsidy (compared to Delhi). The MG ZS EV was coming to 25L on road in Gurgaon for us (compared to 22L in Delhi due to subsidy). For our next car we would definitely get an EV when we replace our Compass. Currently to replace our Laura, we have booked a MH Hector Plus (6 seater) diesel. That is the only car which comes close to filling the requirements currently.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 16:45   #243
Senior - BHPian

MG Astor will offer Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as standard across all its variants.

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-20210907_164504.jpg

MG has already confirmed Astor will get industry-first personal AI assistant and first-in-segment Autonomous Level-2 technology.

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-20210907_164629.jpg

Addition of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto may just help the car connect with more prospective customers as well.

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-20210907_164635.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 7th September 2021 at 16:51.
Venkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 18:02   #244
BHPian

The Astor is rumoured to come with a 4 cylinder 1.5 litre mild hybrid petrol engine, producing 141 bhp and 240 nm of torque. Not sure if this is a NA or turbo petrol.

This is in contrast to the other rumours of 1.3 turbo petrol and 1.5 NA petrol engine options.

The MG sales guys have no idea either. Looks like we will have to wait for MG to reveal the car and specs. Personally, I wouldn't mind a 4 cylinder mild hybrid petrol automatic with 141 horsepower and 240 nm of torque.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...012492589.html
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 18:27   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
The Astor is rumoured to come with a 4 cylinder 1.5 litre mild hybrid petrol engine, producing 141 bhp and 240 nm of torque. Not sure if this is a NA or turbo petrol.

This is in contrast to the other rumours of 1.3 turbo petrol and 1.5 NA petrol engine options.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...012492589.html
It might be a typo.The earlier reports had suggested 2 petrol engine options : 1.5L NA 4 cyl, making 110 bhp and 1.3L Turbo 3 cyl, making 140 bhp.
Old 7th September 2021, 19:00   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
It might be a typo.The earlier reports had suggested 2 petrol engine options : 1.5L NA 4 cyl, making 110 bhp and 1.3L Turbo 3 cyl, making 140 bhp.
Don't think it's a typo as this is not the first time when similiar report has surfaced. There are definitely contradictory rumours floating around. I guess we would only come to know when MG reveals the car.

Here is another article -

https://www.carandbike.com/news/excl...-orvms-2516228
Old 7th September 2021, 20:34   #247
BHPian

If the links shared above are true and if the Astor lacks a turbo petrol engine, it will be a big blow to the otherwise well rounded and feature packed car. However, I imagine there will be 1.3 turbo petrol offered as it is already available in middle East and Australia on MG ZS-T.
dh.harshal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 21:16   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh.harshal View Post
If the links shared above are true and if the Astor lacks a turbo petrol engine, it will be a big blow to the otherwise well rounded and feature packed car. However, I imagine there will be 1.3 turbo petrol offered as it is already available in middle East and Australia on MG ZS-T.
Yes, that would be a bummer for a lot of potential customers, I reckon. By the way, do you know how that 1.3 litre 3 cylinder petrol engine performs? Especially from NVH perspective. I've my reservations when it comes to 3 cylinder engines as they have the inherent NVH issues. Some manufacturers make them better than others (Hyundai/Kia for example). Any review video would help, if you can.

Thank you!
Old 8th September 2021, 10:09   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that would be a bummer for a lot of potential customers, I reckon. By the way, do you know how that 1.3 litre 3 cylinder petrol engine performs? Especially from NVH perspective. I've my reservations when it comes to 3 cylinder engines as they have the inherent NVH issues. Some manufacturers make them better than others (Hyundai/Kia for example). Any review video would help, if you can.

Thank you!
You may checkout ZST reviews, test drives, engine sound & NVH videos from UAE and Australia. Youtube has 20-25 videos on ZST model, which has 1.3 Ltr Turbo engine.

Most reviews call it a decent engine which has enough turbo push from 1800 to 3000rpm range. However, this engine isn't quick or very powerful to give you that kick when pushed hard. Engine has a good sporty sound unlike bad vibration noise that we get in other 3 cylinder small engines.

I am on same boat though. I like the overall specs and looks of this car but a bit apprehensive about the 3 cylinder engine. I don't feel like paying north of 17 Lakhs for 3 cylinder as it seems like more of a compromise even though the power figures quoted are higher than the Petrol engines offered in Korean and VAG siblings.

It will be great if Hector's 1.5 ltr Turbo Petrol engine + TC (not DCT for its unreliability) is offered in this car. Given its compact size and lower kerb weight compared to Hector, this engine will make this car (hopefully) fun to drive with enough power, which Hector lacks.
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 11:17   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
You may checkout ZST reviews, test drives, engine sound & NVH videos from UAE and Australia. Youtube has 20-25 videos on ZST model, which has 1.3 Ltr Turbo engine.

Most reviews call it a decent engine which has enough turbo push from 1800 to 3000rpm range. However, this engine isn't quick or very powerful to give you that kick when pushed hard. Engine has a good sporty sound unlike bad vibration noise that we get in other 3 cylinder small engines.

I am on same boat though. I like the overall specs and looks of this car but a bit apprehensive about the 3 cylinder engine. I don't feel like paying north of 17 Lakhs for 3 cylinder as it seems like more of a compromise even though the power figures quoted are higher than the Petrol engines offered in Korean and VAG siblings.

It will be great if Hector's 1.5 ltr Turbo Petrol engine + TC (not DCT for its unreliability) is offered in this car. Given its compact size and lower kerb weight compared to Hector, this engine will make this car (hopefully) fun to drive with enough power, which Hector lacks.
Thank you for the suggestions . We did check some videos but couldn't really find what I was looking for. Will give it a go again.

Coming back to the engine, we would really prefer to have a 4 cylinder engine than a 3 cylinder one, even at the expense of power and torque. I definitely agree with you that 3 cylinder engines do feel compromised. You know something is missing under the hood. But having said that, wouldn't really mind one if the NVH levels are well controlled. I recently got the opportunity to drive Ford Freestyle which comes with a 3 cylinder petrol engine and it vibrates considerably at idle which is such a turn off.

Against the tide, I'm hoping the Astor would come with the rumoured 1.5 4 cylinder petrol engine with 141 horsepower and 240 nm of torque which doesn't sound bad at all IMHO.
Old 8th September 2021, 12:15   #251
BHPian

Quote:
If the power and torque figures are correct then it should be a turbo petrol engine. I don't think NA engine can match these outputs.

It will be safe and economical for customers if MG provides the same 1.5 mill which is being used in Hector.
bwildrd#1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 12:29   #252
BHPian

MG astor to be unveiled on 15th September 12 Pm .
Oomph11 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 06:49   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomph11 View Post
MG astor to be unveiled on 15th September 12 Pm .
https://Youtu.be/7SSW8Y3MqRA
MG isn't sure about this date maybe. They have made this video private.
manpreetsj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 10:17   #254
BHPian

Saw another news article from Carwale that says the global "Unveil" is on 15th September. I hope this won't be just and unveil and we would get all the details unlike the VW twins that kept on dragging and still is.
Attached Thumbnails
MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-screenshot_2021090910150694_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg  

Pras92003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 10:57   #255

Source: https://twitter.com/CarWale/status/1435830958230413315
Attached Images

chiyaanchinnu is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks