Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2020, 01:39   #106
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster 1.3L Petrol @ Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistOfFate! View Post
It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. Come with a killer pricing (<15L INR OTR) and an AWD kit, Renault will still see some movement from enthusiasts like me.
If it's a manual transmission you are looking for then OK, but if it's automatic, tell the enthusiast within you to calm down. CVT's kill the fun in most engines. DSG's are best followed by Torque convertor and last CVT's. Unless you like playing with rubber bands and hearing BRAHHHHHH...HHHHH on the redline and staying there all day. Also, the higher ground clearance raises the centre of gravity, making the average enthusiast enjoy lesser around corners due to body roll. Consider it only if mild-moderate off-roading is what you enjoy.

But then again, if your planning to stick to tarmac and are looking for an enthusiastic manual, go for the City Vtec (fits in the budget). It's no turbo, but I promise you, if it doesn't raise every hair on your body at the red line, I'll pay you a full tank's worth of gas! Hey, gas ain't cheap so you know I must be really confident.

Last edited by Starfire : 15th August 2020 at 01:46.
Starfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 10:57   #107
BHPian

Autocar's followup video:

I am not really convinced about this series of video's being dropped before launch. They call it 'Track attack' but:

1. He doesn't talk about how the suspension behaves around corner's
2. How the steering feedback feels like
3. How the gear shift feels like
4. Is there any torque steer (since i think Autocar's review mentioned that for the Kicks)
5. Nothing at all about the clutch action (again Autocar's Kicks review mentioned it as being a bit hard to press)

This seems more like some marketing genius idea of how to convince enthusiasts by just dropping lines like 'Wow! So much power from a 1.3L turbo' and 'I like the sound of a Sport SUV'.

They did end by showing the duster going through a passable dirt track. If this comes without an AWD with the 1.3L Turbo then i will be even more pissed.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 11:24   #108
BHPian

The Kicks Turbo MT has been around for 2 months and Autocar finally released a video on them this week.
Duster Turbo hasn't come out yet and we see such marketing for it!
I am really worried about Nissan packing up soon from India.
Old 15th August 2020, 11:58   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Shyam View Post
I am really worried about Nissan packing up soon from India.
Well if Renault price this right then Kicks is out of competition, also Kia Sonet already killed the magnite before the launch.

It’s just wait and watch as to when Nissan pulls that plug from ventilator support!
Old 15th August 2020, 13:37   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdrive View Post
Well if Renault price this right then Kicks is out of competition, also Kia Sonet already killed the magnite before the launch.

It’s just wait and watch as to when Nissan pulls that plug from ventilator support!
IMO opinion Kicks was never in the competition. Nissan silent release slimmed their chances and Duster's campaign which has been going since the Auto Expo 2020 killed it before Sonet's rumour.
Old 15th August 2020, 16:00   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
Really excited for this launch. So excited that I could not resist myself from giving a TD of Nissan Kicks powered by the same engine. Top end model of this car comes at 17.5 L on road in Bangalore. Right now the top end Duster petrol RXZ ex-showroom is not even 10 lakhs. What can be the launch price of this car then? Will it overshoot Kicks and try to compete with Creta/Seltos Turbo Petrol ? Or will it check the OTR price below 15 Lakhs to kill the only car in Nissan showroom and ask them to pack up from India ? (Not considering GTR or forthcoming Magnet)

Its going to be an interesting war to watch ahead. If this car falls around same range or even a bit higher than Sonet/Venue turbo petrols then I am sure Duster will win the race. Hope people will honor the new lion king ignoring the sunroofs and tablets. I think Sonet may be caught off guard since its turbo petrol is not even coming with MT. Overheard that its still under discussion.

No doubt this is the best way to throw a success party to the Duster by offering this monstrous engine. Kicks gave me a kick with a linear and sharp power thrust from 1750 RPM. In few seconds it hits 90 Kmph in 3rd gear and yes, it still can leap forward. The top model felt premium with leather upholstery, huge tyres and a solid built. It does not have sunroof or wireless charging, but it knows how to attract drivers. Hope Duster follow suit.

Sorry, I could not resist. Lion king? Success party? And all that is related to the Duster?

If you ask me, the Duster will not recover to be a sales blockbuster just because of a new petrol engine. This is a car that needs complete overhaul, Renault should have brought the new generation 1 year ago, however I think there are absolutely no plans for the next Gen Duster as of now. The current Gen duster was launched sometime in the 2013 and even by then it was quite old as a model in other countries. The Creta came after the Duster and now you have a new Gen already.

Fundamentally, the duster may be a better car than the other sub 4m cross overs. But it just lacks that fit and finish. The seating position is still very odd, and it just feels very built to a cost kind of Vehicle. For reference, my father drives a Duster and I have switched from a Rapid diesel to a Creta 1.6 just about 2 years ago. And all three cars are from the same segment, more or less. But the Duster feels one generation behind.
The Duster now is neither here and nor there. It cannot simply compete with the new Creta and the Seltos. The buyers of sub 4m SUVs have a different perspective and may not value ride quality over all others that is being offered.

The only possibility of the new duster turbo petrol doing decently well depends on a shocker price, just like how Skoda turned heads with the Rapid rider edition, Renault has to attempt something like that.
motorworks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 11:43   #112
BHPian

The Polo comes in both 1.0 Litre MFI and TSI engine options. The Comfortline Plus variant with 1.0 MFI and 5 speed gearbox is priced at Rs. 6.69 lacs and the higher variant Highline Plus with 1.0 TSI engine, 6 speed gearbox and additional features like Touchscreen system, Auto IRVM, steering mounted controls, cruise control and R16 wheels is priced at Rs. 7.89 lacs. The difference of just Rs.1.20 lakhs is justified considering the additional features included.

However, Nissan Kicks XV 1.3 Turbo engine is priced at Rs. 11.85 lakhs ex-showroom compared to Rs. 9.99 lakhs for the Kicks XV 1.5 NA engine. The price differential of Rs. 1.85 lacs for the Turbo Engine and the additional feature of Idle Start/Stop is pretty high and not justified. Probably this is the reason why Nissan could sell only 88 copies of Kicks (NA and Turbo combined) during July 2020.

Top end Duster RXZ is similar to Kicks XV in spec and price(Rs.9.99 Lakhs). It would be better for Renault to learn from mistakes of Nissan and price the Turbo versions with lower price difference(may be Rs. 50000 to Rs. 75000) compared to the NA engines.
DImPo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 20:32   #113
BHPian

As a current owner of 110PS(D) sandstorm edition, the car has always been great and I have munched about 56,000kms within two years of ownership. The SUV is great and had been very reliable to drive but would I suggest the car to someone who is looking for a vehicle now ? NO, not a chance unless there is AWD version coming up.

I am a person who bought the SUV just for its suspension performance and the trust I have on Renault engines specially the ones on duster. Interiors are just blunt and there is nothing interesting for a person moving from say a Korean hatchback or even from Maruti - they would feel cheated for sure.

To make duster interesting again, its not just the new engine - a complete overhaul is required for interiors and the small things like the wind noise that irritates the hell out of us. A petrol only engine is also a deterrent for me personally since FE is always a concern for me.
psmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 20:50   #114
BHPian

I heard from Nissan sales guys that, this 1.3 engine is imported hence the higher price.
Given that duster is cheaper, slightly smaller, less equipped than kicks, 10.99 seems reasonable for top of the line duster.

Once they start manufacturing this locally, we could expect competitive pricing!
ramki.grandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 11:45   #115
BHPian

Renault Duster Turbo petrol launched at mouth watering 10.49 Lakhs

Link
Quote:
Petrol fanatics rejoice! @RenaultIndia launches India's most affordable 150+ bhp car, the 2020 Duster. Brilliant pricing by having the 1.3 Turbo with the RXE as well. We will miss the AWD though. Sigh #RenaultDuster

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 17th August 2020 at 11:47.
TorqueIndia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 11:51   #116
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Renault Duster Turbo petrol launched at mouth watering 10.49 Lakhs

Thanks, prices of all variants:

Renault Duster 1.3L Petrol @ Auto Expo 2020-1.png
Old 17th August 2020, 12:41   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Thanks, prices of all variants:

Except for the performance I dont see anything new in the Duster. The major issue was with the car's interior and it has been unchanged. Duster was never a very flashy looking car and by 2020's standard it looks outdated for sure.
Creta EX at 9.99lac ex showroom looks like an attractive offering especially with some good aftermarket alloy wheels compared to the Duster 1.5.
If at all one has to get the top end turbo petrol then Kicks XV 1.3 makes more sense as it has all the positives of the Duster plus better equipment and a plush interior with good quality materials.

Last edited by Sahilrai166 : 17th August 2020 at 12:52.
Old 17th August 2020, 12:44   #118
BHPian

No AWD is a big miss. Duster has lost it's X-factor.
Top-end RXZ is priced at 13,60,000 which is just 60k shy of Kicks Premium XV CVT. This is very optimistic pricing against it's own sibling which is much better kitted and seems a better product overall than archaic duster. Only RXE turbo is priced OK but nearly not enough to wow the consumers like Rapid Rider.

I guess we have to wait till the usual discounts starts.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed