View Poll Results: Honda Accord or Skoda Octavia RS? - Its war time folks
Honda Accord VTi-L 252 45.65%
Skoda Octavia RS 300 54.35%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2007, 18:22   #301
BHPian

Point Agreed. (though an old friend will soon sell his RS due to Severe back pain due to the harsh ride.) but the point is, do we have a better choice?
Old 16th June 2007, 20:19   #302
Senior - BHPian

lol this is turning into a quarrel... Poll clearly says the RS is a winner as of now.
Old 16th June 2007, 21:53   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the most interesting threads on this forum. However, the winner between Accord and RS is not clear though if we go by poll, its RS. However, even in my opinion RS has that sporty factor that is completely missing in an Accord. I may buy an accord if i am 45+ ( as it is more luxurious and gives a rich feeling) and RS purely for fun factor.

Must say, it is tough to beat the looks of an RS that has huge 18" rims and in lambo yellow color
Old 16th June 2007, 21:55   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
But how many here have driven the Accord V6 and the RS back to back. We cant really judge them untill they are driven back to back.

Drifter
Drove a vRS to amby valley ...... accord V6 on the way back .......
Old 16th June 2007, 21:57   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey View Post
Drove a vRS to amby valley ...... accord V6 on the way back .......
Whats your opinion after the drive in both vehicles?
Old 17th June 2007, 04:08   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Whats your opinion after the drive in both vehicles?
vRS perfect for the twisty amby valley road

and the Accord "barge" perfect for the expressway

though the accord v6 was not as fast as the vRS on the expressway
nor as stable
Old 17th June 2007, 08:12   #307
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gurkha, I am not trying to change your mind at all. Just stating facts here...thats all! Like I said, lets talk about the cars only. If you want to name-call other brands / cars, thats an argument going nowhere. Neither is this discussion about sales figures. If we bought cars purely on what sells best in the USA, lets line up to put our deposits down on F150 trucks.

I have already stated facts and hard numbers in my previous post which clearly indicates that the RS is the better handler. And the car for outright performance driving of the two.
No facts here, just an opinion based on perception, and all of US doesn't buy F-150, thats a blatantly wrong statement I am yet to come across, the fact remains, Toyota and Honda dominate the sales chart in US, the Accord specifically retains top slot for years to come, it also does consistently well in CR reports. Will repeat, no Skodas or VW come close to the domination of Honda or Toyota.

As for sporty, its preposterous calling either sporty, both are family sedans, one comes with a marketing guise of the term sporty, the other purely states its purpose in being a comfortable sedan. Driving on Indian highways will not allow one to judge a car's sportiness, the fact that Germans buy Accord and drive it daily on the Autobahn where true performance driving is possible speaks for itself. As for the pedigree of the engine goes, just suggest googling VW 1.8T sludge and you will see the myriads of class action suits pending against VW regarding this issue as well as other issues plaguing this particular engine.

My last take in this issue, next time you post a poll, put a caveat declaring that mod's opinion takes precedence over other's, this poll was already a pre judged matter extolling the superiority of the Skoda RS over the Accord, its just futile, so when someone posts a different opinion, he or she is challenged about their opinion.

Good day to all.

Beam me up Scotty.......................
Old 17th June 2007, 11:30   #308
Senior - BHPian

Gurkha have you even driven the Skoda RS before writing it off completely? The 140 odd bhp I4 engine in the accord is really really underpowered for the size of the car. Plus the 3L V6 is only available as an auto box in India. As many pointed out, the current Accord handles like a boat compared to a nice handling car like a lancer or civic.

When one buys a car, he/she buys the car for what it is, not what the manufacturer has been doing racing across indianapolis in a methanol powered rocket. Nor does he buy it for the fact that its american or german cousin can be raced at 120mph. Infact the golden rule is trust no one but yourself after a test drive.

Sales figures in US of A mean jack as well. The best driver's cars have mediocre sales abroad cos 99% of the common folks buy a corolla/civic/camry/accord. I've noticed the same with most of my american friends too. All cars meant to be pushed will show problems and issues earlier than a sedately driven corolla or civic. Its simple cos the car was abused much more than the econobox.

In this thread we are not talking reliability. We are talking out and out performance of the engine. In that the Accord comes no way close to the RS.

I'm out.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 17th June 2007 at 11:32.
Old 17th June 2007, 11:45   #309
Team-BHP Support

you do know that the rs shared the engine with the old audi tt?
Old 17th June 2007, 12:33   #310
Senior - BHPian

But aren't we forgetting the RS is a turbo petrol. If the honda was turbo then i'd say there's competition. And we all know who makes the best engines. Untill then this comparison is a bit unfair and its no wonder the RS is winning.

All I can say is that the RS is a good car, but having read through some complaints regarding engine oil sludge as posted by gurkha, I'm not so sure about how it will perform over the years vis-a-vis the Accords engine.

The Accord never claimed to be a sports car, its just an everyday saloon - a job which it does admirably well. The RS claims to be the sports car and a family car rolled into one. We all know, the family will be much better off in the Accord.

Therefore, both these cars have their good and bad points. It's just a poll and nobody is being asked to put their money down to buy either of these cars, so lets just chill boys.

PS: Mind says Accord, Heart says RS, but reality says Safari.

Drifter
Old 17th June 2007, 14:57   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
, the fact that Germans buy Accord and drive it daily on the Autobahn where true performance driving is possible speaks for itself. As for the pedigree of the engine goes, just suggest googling VW 1.8T sludge and you will see the myriads of class action suits pending against VW regarding this issue as well as other issues plaguing this particular engine.

1: Germans also buy Lada's, Hyundai's etc and drive them on the autobahn!!!

2: Yes, there were issues with the coil packs on the 1.8T, main issue was getting them replaced as the initial batch were duff
Old 17th June 2007, 15:07   #312
Team-BHP Support

My vote goes for the Accord.

Trivandrum is not too crowded. Guess we could use 'size' and class as an advantage. Haven't driven both the cars, but am sure Accord wont dissapoint.
Old 18th June 2007, 03:33   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
My last take in this issue, next time you post a poll, put a caveat declaring that mod's opinion takes precedence over other's, this poll was already a pre judged matter extolling the superiority of the Skoda RS over the Accord, its just futile, so when someone posts a different opinion, he or she is challenged about their opinion.
Sir i strongly feel you must re-consider the above words. Who pre-judged it? I for joined the forum much later than the thread was started!

I voted and voiced my opinion because i was qualified(as i owned a Vrs)to vote and reply,iam sure so did many other hardy souls here who have put their hard earned money to buy either a Indian manufactured Honda Accord and Skoda Vrs!

Why do we need US sales figures to argue about Honda's superiority or other things not concerned to us "Desi's"! Please drive both cars back to back and you will realise why people are "extolling the superiority" of either cars!

I have driven both extensively(and hard) and opine both have different personality suited to different people,So IF you own either of the cars,i humbly request you to give the benifit of your vast experience on other aspects in the thread,and please do not call a Vrs a euro-trash!

Apart from being a sound product,it insults our(atleast my)intelligence! for after paying a considerable amount on the car i expect some sensitivity from a fellow enthusiast's side.

Last edited by Desert fox : 18th June 2007 at 03:35.
Old 18th June 2007, 11:11   #314
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
and all of US doesn't buy F-150, thats a blatantly wrong statement I am yet to come across, the fact remains, Toyota and Honda dominate the sales chart in US, the Accord specifically retains top slot for years to come, it also does consistently well in CR reports.
PLease do recheck your much-referred, worshipped and often quoted USA sales figures. The F150 truck has OUTSOLD the Honda Accord for the past decade and is the best selling vehicle in the USA. In case you didnt get it, that was simply a jab toward your statement of buying cars purely based on american sales figures. Something most of us do NOT agree with. I would think that we have our own preferences and choices, instead of blindly buying a car because it is a best-seller in the mighty US of A!!

Quote:
As for sporty, its preposterous calling either sporty, both are family sedans, one comes with a marketing guise of the term sporty, the other purely states its purpose in being a comfortable sedan.
Absolutely, none of them are Evolutions or Impreza's. But of the two, the RS is the more sporty!

Quote:
the fact that Germans buy Accord and drive it daily on the Autobahn where true performance driving is possible speaks for itself.
LOL and ROTFLMAO! I think you would like to retract this statement as the Germans do drive an Accord. BUT NOT THE ONE we are talking about or the one that is sold in the USA and India. Its an entirely different model and is not even the point of discussion here!!! Do go over and check this German Honda linky. Lets not bring irrelevant stuff into this thread for the sake of arguing.

Quote:
Therefore, both these cars have their good and bad points. It's just a poll and nobody is being asked to put their money down to buy either of these cars, so lets just chill boys.
Wholeheartedly agreed, Drifty. That is why my posts speak with respect to both; the Accord and the RS and dont downgrade either. However, its unfortunate that some name-call brands, bring irrelevant points of discussion and bring a biased side into this argument by pushing the other car down and calling it "euro-trash"! For the heck of it.

Quote:
Beam me up Scotty
Absolutely sport! Lets get some unbiased discussions and intelligence back into this thread by quiting the brand-name-calling and irrelevant arguments. For e.g. bringing up the Euro-Accord when we are discussing the USA-spec Accord.

Its an accepted fact that the Honda is more reliable. So? Re-inventing the wheel? That has already been outlined in the first post of this thread and is an accepted fact. Do you see me debating that?

Buttttttttttttttttttttt the Skoda RS is the choice for enthusiastic driving. Because:

1. Its a better handler.
2. Its a better braker.
3. Its better in acceleration.
4. It has better feedback.

Simply put, its faster. Whether in a straight line and taking corners! And that was the entire point of my argument.
Old 18th June 2007, 13:40   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And that was the entire point of my argument.
OK OK people enough arguments now.. The poll clearly states which one will you choose. I chose Accord for the following reasons:

1. Better Looking. Not that Skoda i still love skoda shuttle looks.
2. Better space for family and it doesnt matter if its 3 secs slower than the sport RS
3. Its HONDA engine and i will choose an Auto one.
3. Service spares are less costly.

Everyone has their own needs and accord fulfill my all needs of power and luxury. I would rather cruise on highway then getting involved in racing specially if i am with my family.

Neither RS is bad nor Accord. Each of them serves different purposes. RS for total performance lovers. Accord for those who want luxury and can sacrifice on a bit of performance.

There is nothing left for arguing as we cannot compare the "Desi" version cars we get here to US or German ones.

@Gurkha Both Accord and Skoda RS are good handlers but serves different purposes. Accord is for comfort handling and RS for pure racing handling. RS suspension is like nails and accords is comfy. At high speed cornering RS will perform way better coz of its rally suspension and Accord will be a floaty like a boat. You need to drive both of them to compare them.

I hope this clears up stuff now and i hope that there will be no further arguments on this ground.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks