Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2020, 20:49   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
@Prassanna- Want to see Maruti's calculation on Ciaz Alpha?

I have kept the running as 100kms per day. 5 year loan at 9%, location Bangalore.
Ah! I didn't factor the loan in my case. That will be a double whammy. You pay interest for the incremental cost on the diesel.
Old 7th June 2020, 01:49   #62
BHPian

Well informed people are not going to be worried, Whatever advertisement tells.

People who love & tasted the power, torque, etc are going to go after diesel engines whatever maybe the price difference & ownership costs, people who want to get a car just to sit in their porch are going to go after cheap, tin cans - all they want is cheap showoff with four wheels.

When I told my friends that I am planning to buy a car, all of them told the same thing - petrol or diesel don't buy anything from tin can manufacturer.
Thyag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 04:49   #63
bkc
BHPian

Punch line for 'Petrol or diesel car, Calculate kiya kya?'
Safety or Savings, Calculate kiya kya?

Enough said about heartect but still, how many of us choose higher variants, considering the very low Emi difference?

I chose diesel and I never have to think twice during long trips. At speeds of 120 and rarely more, i still manage to squeeze out 20kmpl on mid.
With similiar speeds, and petrol car at higher revs, this fuel average will be a lot lesser and pinch one on day to day basis.

I always prefer lower running costs than higher buying cost. Even engine life wise, the diesel usually outlasts Petrol.
bkc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 07:40   #64
Senior - BHPian

I used that calculator, it takes the mileage of the petrol ciaz as 20kmpl, fat chance. My lifetime average for the punto diesel has been 16, that's with 100%AC, A ciaz will probably do 11. Petrol in a city with AC is a nightmare. A loan is paid off in time and most people know what they can afford, running costs pinch and unlike those in the organised sector, a lot of us see wild swings in income, diesel running costs are a blessing in tougher times.

Funny, I didn't find the S Cross in that calculator, that's the only Maruti I'll consider.
Old 7th June 2020, 07:45   #65
BHPian

Maruti produced tin cars all along, then fought to get a single airbag as standard, sold seat belts as security feature ( they are, but not that one should sell them as such), and now this deplorable messaging. Speaks volumes about how it takes customers for granted and how lax our regulations are.
venkateshkm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 07:55   #66
BHPian

The calculation works on the assumption that diesel car costs way more than a petrol car, mostly in the range of about 1.2 lakhs. With a budget of about 7 lakhs and a daily driving of 35kms, I tried to compare swift Zxi with Grand i10 nios magna crdi which costs nearly the same. With a price difference of just about 30000, the calculator tells me that I will break even in just about 3.4 years and 43000 KMS. Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km-screenshot_20200607063549.jpg
Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km-screenshot_20200607063129.jpg
Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km-screenshot_20200607063156.jpg
Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km-screenshot_20200607063211.jpg

Also, for a budget of 10 lakhs I tried another comparison with a Vitara brezza Zxi+ and the Hyundai venue Sx crdi. Here I can compensate for the additional payment in just about 1.3 years and 17000 kms, that also with just 35 kms of daily driving.
Basically what I understood is that if I wish to buy a diesel car I shouldn't consider a Maruti anymore because with their pricing it is difficult to compensate for the additional cost. Look elsewhere, buy something else that you like and enjoy.

Last edited by Night Raven : 7th June 2020 at 08:13. Reason: Changing a sentence
Night Raven is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 09:55   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
The calculation works on the assumption that diesel car costs way more than a petrol car, mostly in the range of about 1.2 lakhs.
You can compare a Brezza petrol and an i10 diesel and the break-even comes even before you start driving.

Mod Note - Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 11th June 2020 at 09:23. Reason: Language
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 7th June 2020, 10:28   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
You can compare a Brezza petrol and an i10 diesel and the break-even comes even before you start driving.
I compared a swift with an i10 nios and a venue to a brezza. Hyundai itself promotes i10 Nios as a competition to swift. I just compared the top end petrol with the middle variant diesel in both cases I quoted. They belong to the same segment, cost almost the same amount with some features less.

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th June 2020 at 12:31. Reason: Quoted post edited
Night Raven is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 10:54   #69
BHPian

Quote:
I compared a swift with an i10 nios and a venue to a brezza. What is the stupidity in that? Hyundai itself promotes i10 Nios as a competition to swift. I just compared the top end petrol with the middle variant diesel in both cases I quoted. They belong to the same segment, cost almost the same amount with some features less.
Infact the middle variant of the Venue is the ideal comparison to the Brezza ZXI(O) as the fully loaded Venue comes with 6 airbags, sunroof, wireless charging, etc which the Brezza doesn't have.

Just shows how overpriced the 1.5L Petrol Brezza is v/s the competition. Also the Nexon and Ecosport diesels are also competitively priced, just like the Venue and will also give similar results.

Also, another factor is that petrols struggle to match ARAI fuel efficiency claims whereas diesels can match it or better the claims. A diesel can still get a better resale value compared to the petrol and being cheaper to refuel, diesel can still be relevant in the 8-10 Lakh price market as well, and very soon Maruti will realize it

Last edited by Aditya_Bhp : 7th June 2020 at 11:00.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 10:58   #70
BANNED

Quote:
I just compared the top end petrol with the middle variant diesel in both cases I quoted.
Compare apples to apples when you are doing break even calculations. These comparisons are very price sensitive. You selected top end petrol with lower end diesels to give unfair advantage to diesels. But then people can compare top end diesels with lower end petrols, right? Also, nowadays the price of different segment cars overlap. I10 and Brezza price also overlaps. Then why can't someone select them for comparison? Also, you mentioned 7L and 10L price points where these models are priced, and not hatch backs, CSuvs etc.

As I said before, compare apples to apples and then promote your favourite ones.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 7th June 2020 at 11:21.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 16:46   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
As I said before, compare apples to apples and then promote your favourite ones.
By apples to apples do you mean I should compare only between the petrol and Diesel models of the same car in the same variant from the same manufacturer? In that case I completely understand your point, and probably Maruti's point also. I only meant to compare with another car in the same segment from another manufacturer. Because that is what I will do if I was in that scenario. May be like buying an apple from another farm and another breed
Also since you accused me of promoting my favorite, I would like to clarify that I have no grudge against Maruti, and I am in no way associated with Hyundai. I chose cars from Hyundai for the comparison because they are the only worthy competition Maruti has here. Feel free to disagree with me and I am willing to accept when I am wrong, but please don't make it personal.
Thanks
Night Raven is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 01:37   #72
BHPian

I did the math using their own calculator. Swift ZXI vs the Ford Figo Titanium TDCI. It was take me 1.7 years /22k km to recover the difference. Also, in those 1.7 year/22k km and beyond, I will drive a much more powerful and torquey car than the Swift.

Checks out for me, thank you very much!

Last edited by antz.bin : 8th June 2020 at 01:38.
Old 8th June 2020, 07:20   #73
Senior - BHPian

If diesel is dirty and will have problems such as passing the real time emissions, clogging the dpf, etc.. then manufacturers respecting the customer should replace it with a turbo petrol.

Tata's revotron 1.2T, Hyundai 1.0, m&m's tgdi, skoda's tsi and going by a bhpian's test drive, Nissan kicks are all going in that direction while maruti want to keep milking Indian consumers.

Suzuki, India is not your Japan filled with elder people to be conservative. We deserve better. Give that, or you will see your decline a la nokia.
Old 10th June 2020, 12:05   #74
BANNED

A bit off-tangent, but can Maruti/anyone else/one of you please make a similar calculator for CNG vs Petrol.

An Alto 800 LXi (O) CNG costs roughly 75K more than an Alto 800 LXi (O) Petrol only.
How many KM do I need to drive to recover the additional cost?
Old 10th June 2020, 13:26   #75
BHPian

I have not read the whole thread, so I might be repeating things:

I just hope someone drags Maruti to court for this. They are misinforming the customers in every possible way. There is no way you need to drive around 260k kms to justify a Diesel (there could be exceptions). I will be very interested in seeing their calculations. Look at BS VI Diesel cars from Hyundai and Ford, they are still priced very sensibly over their Petrol counterparts.

Let us take an example:
Imagine you are buying a compact SUV (any make or variant) in Diesel, which is priced at a premium of around 1.25 lacs over its equivalent Petrol variant. The on-road price difference will be around 1.4 lacs. If we get this financed for 5 years, the actual cost will be around 1.8 lacs. Now, since the Diesel car will be expensive to insure and maintain, let us add another INR 30-40K over a 5 year ownership period. In total, we will be spending around 2.2 lacs extra for a Diesel vehicle. Let us ignore the difference in resale value for the moment.

We all know, a petrol compact SUV will deliver around 11-12 kmpl in mixed driving, while, the same car in Diesel will easily manage 16-17 kmpl. Taking price for Petrol at INR 80/lit and for Diesel at INR 75/lit, the per km running cost difference is around INR 2.25. Which means, you need to drive around 1 lakh kms to break-even.

I am now interested in knowing, how Maruti derived that magical number of 2.6 l kms. My calculations are not exact but they should be 90% there.

Last edited by tarik.arora : 10th June 2020 at 13:29.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks