Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2020, 13:53   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km

IMO, most of the replies here don't seem to consider Total Cost Of Ownership (fuel, maintainance, insurance, loan interest and depreciation) calculated till the point you get rid of the vehicle. And it includes depreciation which is lesser due to lower running costs for a diesel car compared to the petrol powered one; especially for vehicles other than lightweight hatchbacks (except maybe in places like Delhi due to anti-diesel policies).

So, i would like to say the following:

1. For people who do high runnings, diesel certainly works out to be a lot cheaper than the petrol even with a premium of 5-10% in aquisition cost over the equivalent petrol variant. There are plenty of calculations about this that are posted on this forum before.
2. For people who do lesser runnings, they are still likely to loose less in Total Cost of Ownership for a diesel car (except maybe for entry level hatchbacks).
3. So, the motivation to go for a petrol car is not the money but the Refinement, Greener Machine and sometimes Performance.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 4th June 2020 at 14:03.
46TheDoctor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 15:26   #32
BHPian

I used the calculator. All fields are editable. So you may alter the numbers. Don't have to go with ARAI figure of the car mileage - which you achieve very rarely.

I selected for 50% and 5 year loan tenure. Modified running cost figures to 68kms daily run and realistic average of 14 for petrol and 18 for diesel car. The result is :

Quote:
RESULT
IF YOU BUY A DIESEL VEHICLE YOU WILL PAY AN ADDITIONAL ₹ 1 34 760

TO RECOVER ADDITIONAL AMOUNT YOU WILL HAVE TO

DRIVE THE VEHICLE 80 078 km
IT WILL TAKE 3.2 YEARS
MAKE AN INFORMED CHOICE
Not a bad calculator after all! Thank you Maruti!

Last edited by akshye : 4th June 2020 at 15:28.
akshye is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 15:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Fake. I used the calculator, entered the ex-showroom price at Re1/- more. fuel efficiency was 20/26. But still I got this message -
RESULT
IF YOU BUY A DIESEL VEHICLE YOU WILL PAY AN ADDITIONAL ₹ 0

YOU CAN NOT RECOVER THE ADDITIONAL AMOUNT THAT YOU PAY FOR DIESEL VEHICLE

PETROL IS THE RIGHT CHOICE
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 16:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Came across this AD on Facebook

So what will MS say when they launch BS6 diesel next year?
It's just the classic case of sour grapes and nothing else. Doesn't this ad mean that they're in fact worried about their earlier diesel pie being snatched away by the likes of Ford, Hyundai, Kia and Mahindra. This is their thinking -Yes, we don't have a diesel mill in our repertoire. So what do we do ? Just fox the ill-informed buyers and arrest the slide even at the expense of dirtying the hands. Shame on you Maruti ! - the so called market leaders. This is a leader who doesn't lead by example.

I've only one thing to say about their rocket science calculation of 2,60,000 kms claim - There are lies, damn lies and then statistics !

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 4th June 2020 at 16:30.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 17:15   #35
BHPian

I think it's a great message. Maruti has the market positioning of a VFM brand. When you consider some new launches especially the diesel versions of Seltos and Creta, the diesel premium is substantial especially over models like petrol brezza, Scross etc.
On most indian roads, you don't really need a lot of power. 90-100 BHP is all you need. I think this message is going to have a lot of people relook at their choices. Some may still go ahead with diesel but many more may not.
Old 4th June 2020, 18:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Marketing department at MSIL is not talking to the Strategy teams (who are purportedly reconsidering bringing diesels from FY21).
Old 4th June 2020, 18:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

They aren't able to produce a bs6 diesel in time, hence are taking recourse to the old hindi proverb "नाच न जाने आँगन ठेडा"

What IS stopping them from contracting with fiat for another small diesel? They even have the MJD in Euro6 for quite some time now https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/news/euro6

Last edited by hserus : 4th June 2020 at 18:45.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 18:47   #38
BHPian

When a particular dealership has a red colored car lying in their stockyard which has low demand, the SA will try to convince you that go with this color as it is vibrant, feels young and modern.
But when the customer demands a particular color which is not available with them, the SA tries to convince the customer why a white or silver car is better, which luckily for the buyer, can be delivered as early as the next day!

This is exactly how Maruti Suzuki is talking through their ad campaign.
Sherlocked is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:11   #39
BHPian

MSIL is a shrewd player. In recent times, they have done a pretty bad job of hiding this fact. The Facebook ad is no different. I remember when questioned on safety of their cars vis-a-vis competition, they were quick to say that they are fully compliant to the government guidelines.

Coming back to the ad, it would have been ok if they had completely moved away from Diesel engines. But that doesn’t seem to be the case. Won’t be surprised if their Diesel engines turn out to be chart busters despite this ad.

Sometimes, I am at a loss of words on all the things that MSIL tends to get away with

Last edited by warrioraks : 4th June 2020 at 19:17.
warrioraks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:25   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
What IS stopping them from contracting with fiat for another small diesel? They even have the MJD in Euro6 for quite some time now https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/news/euro6
I don't think the MJD that is Euro6 compliant is the 1.3 SDE Multijet. 1.3Multijet2 was developed but never came to India. And that engine was only Euro5 compliant. 1.5L is the new "small diesel engine" standard. Fiat doesn't have this spec in JTD series. I suspect auto-makers thought the trade-off of poor turbo lag in a 1.3L engine was too much for some gains in fuel efficiency. And so - there is no 1.3 L Euro6 compliant MJD.

Multijet2 2.0/2.2 is the engine series that is compliant with Euro 6. Hardly any MSIL car on sale today, is worthy of these engines.
Reinhard is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:34   #41
BHPian

Hilarious promotional campaign from MSIL after flogging the poor old 1.3 MJD. I wouldn't be surprised if MSIL launches another campaign highlighting the disdain of diesel car owners towards a clean environment with a calculator showing how much PM and NOx you could scrub off the environment by owning a petrol Maruti Suzuki.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 4th June 2020 at 19:37.
Old 4th June 2020, 20:01   #42
BHPian

I dont know if this is off topic but couldn' t help but ask. Isn't it a fact that in real world driving conditions, diesel engines are more likely to return a figure much closer to the rated consumption figures than petrol engines?
I'm aware that both engines have seen substantial technological improvements over the years, but doesn't this still hold true?

Another OT : I recall the conversation that I had with a cab driver who was using a Celerio. He was saying that someone convinced him with some skewed math that it will be more profitable to run a petrol Celerio than a diesel and he totally bought his unrealistic calculations and the car. He said, his car never returns above 15kmpl with the idling and crawling speeds in city and that some of his peers were better off with Etios D and the Ritz D cab. He was finding it difficult to get a decent price for that car due to yellow plates and was barely making any money that he could take home from running the car. The guy, just like in this ad must have used ARAI figures for calculations which a car rarely returns

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 4th June 2020 at 20:02.
--gKrish-- is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 21:35   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Came across this AD on Facebook

So what will MS say when they launch BS6 diesel next year?

Maruti Suzuki is acting like a politician who changes the party and points the flaws of his former party. Maruti knows a thing or two about business politics. It sold tons of diesel cars and when they ran out of diesel engines, they are making a bad case for diesel.

Tata, Hyundai, Mahindra, and some premium brands have at least one pure electric offering. Many brands are planning to offer the same in accordance to the govt mandate. In such a scenario, it is silly that Maruti bragging about the oldest power train technology - gasoline engines.
manjunathkl is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 12:03   #44
BHPian

Shame on Maruti. Their earlier attempts at diesels (remember the Zen D) was also with borrowed diesels. After the FIAT engine they now resort to a low blow. Tomorrow if the market moves to EV over their petrol vehicles what will they do?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th June 2020 at 12:40. Reason: Typo edited
clementw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 12:28   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Another OT : I recall the conversation that I had with a cab driver who was using a Celerio. He was saying that someone convinced him with some skewed math that it will be more profitable to run a petrol Celerio than a diesel and he totally bought his unrealistic calculations and the car.
Whoa! I thought that these were CNG & petrol powered taxis. I've been sharing on the Chennai road experiences thread here on sighting Alto and Celerio taxis for the firstn time in my life in Chennai. I can't imagine that any taxi driver will have bought into the marketing claptrap about the lower maintenance costs of petrol cars. Fuel efficiency is the lifeblood of the taxi business and maintenance costs come only next, right?
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks