Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will the new Hyundai Creta outsell the Kia Seltos?
Yes 335 48.34%
No 358 51.66%
Voters: 693. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2020, 16:51   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sibling Rivalry! Will the 2020 Hyundai Creta outsell the Kia Seltos?

Hi Guys,

One query on the new Creta, has the infamous braking issue on the Creta been solved in the new iteration? Sharing link to Team BHP thread discussing the same.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ll-owners.html (Hyundai Creta: Serious brake failure issue (must-read for all owners))
Old 9th June 2020, 17:12   #62
BHPian

Voted Yes.
For most people it's a fresh design from a trusted manufacturer. Till the time seltos gets a facelift even a minor one, Creta is going to beat it every single month.
Old 9th June 2020, 17:39   #63
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes.

I own a June 2016 Creta which has clocked 1.15 Lakh km. The car is amazing and still runs around like new.

The reasons I think Hyundai Creta will outsell Kia Seltos are
- High Quality of Hyundai Service
- Panoramic Sun Roof (Premiumness)
- Electronic Hand Brake (Premiumness)
- Paddle Shift in Auto

Even though I voted Yes, I personally hate the rear looks of the 2020 Creta and I plan to buy a Seltos as a replacement of my 2016 Creta.
MAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 18:00   #64
BHPian

Wish there was a third option "Too early to tell". Especially since the present dull market situation, especially on 15L+ car segment is going to last for another 12-18 months. What I mean is the numbers from coming months might not show an accurate picture of who is more accepted.

Kia has really start off on a flash and surprised everyone. A big chunk of people buy cars for society rather than themselves to show off. For that section, Seltos will be the first choice as it is more neutral looking or eye pleasing externally. For those who want to have a better experience inside the car, Creta would be the choice.

I don't think Dealer network is going to be a big factor at least for the next year or two. Unlike MG, Kia is already present in almost all major cities be it tier 1/2/3. And they don't have production constraints like Hyundai due to so many models. I think it is going to be an interesting battle.

The Market leader needs to do a big introspection. Having been present well before others, having had connections to bend rules like no other to their own benefits, having captured the hearts of common man, they are sitting outside the ring and are forced to become a silly mute spectator while Hyundai laughs all the way to the Bank.
Old 9th June 2020, 18:23   #65
BHPian

Voted Yes.
1) Hyundai is an established player. People will still prefer to go with an older and trusted car maker.
2) Creta is already a successful car even with such rear looks.

Other reasons are already mentioned on the thread multiple times.
Old 9th June 2020, 18:25   #66
KGS
BHPian

At the time of launch of Kia Seltos and MG Hector, both were like fresh design and fully loaded cars in Indian market. People were not having much options and variants in these segments so both cars became instant hit.
But now other manufacturers are also in market or planning to soon launch a competitor , so it is not going to be easy for Kia Seltos to rule for a long time.

I personally like the Creta design and if I need to pick between Seltos and Creta, I will go for Creta. I have owned i20 , so very well aware about the customer service and support from Hyundai network, That is an additional plus point for me.
Old 9th June 2020, 18:44   #67
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Hyundai and Creta both are established which is favourable for herd mentality which rules our market.

With Creta only issue seems to be the looks, which will grow onto us, just like 1st gen Santro, Wagon R and Dzire.
swapnil.awate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 18:56   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Now my local KIA dealer isnt selling in same numbers. 2 reasons for that. KIA has a waiting period of 2 to 3 months for all variants. Creta? Anywhere between 2 weeks to a month depending on variant. As a result my Hyundai dealer was very bullish about the sales prospects. If Kia does not sort its waiting periods then Hyundai who allegedly have manufactured Cretas in advance before launch will easily manage to outsell them.
Funny how a day after saying this I contact the local Kia dealer for the updated 2020 price list. He sends it to me and without me even asking openly tells me that there is no waiting period anymore and delivery can be made immediately.

Is this the Creta effect? Did customers cancel bookings to bring waiting period down so drastically?
Old 9th June 2020, 19:15   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
The other factor, though not as in your face, is the ride quality. I believe the Kia is unduly hard. If the Creta is much better on this front then it may sway a few more buyers but overall its hard to argue with that verdict.
Seltos' suspension eases out quite well after 2000-2500 kms. When the car is new, one will feel it's little on the firmer side but pretty comfortable later on. I can't compare how it fares vis-a-vis new Creta as I'm yet to drive it.

Any day i'll trade off a bit of comfort for better handling which means better high speed manners.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 19:34   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Funny how a day after saying this I contact the local Kia dealer for the updated 2020 price list. He sends it to me and without me even asking openly tells me that there is no waiting period anymore and delivery can be made immediately.

Is this the Creta effect? Did customers cancel bookings to bring waiting period down so drastically?
As of May 14, when the lockdown was in place and the factories were still shutdown, I have seen hundreds of Seltos' ready and waiting in the factory yard, in Anantapur. It seems, even though the dealerships were closed, the factory might be open for some days and they have built enough stock on hand which were ready for dispatch to the dealers. In the past couple weeks, these cars would have been dispatches to the dealers which is why they have stock to deliver immediately.

That and the cancellations of some buyers due to the state of the economy or changing to a different model (like Creta!) will have brought down the waiting period. As per few posts from the FB owners group, few variants and colors are readily available while few others still have waiting period in months.

EDIT: Last Saturday, when I had been to the local Bangalore dealer for my third service, I saw at least 30 vehicles waiting in their yard (adjacent to the service center). Most of them were the refreshed HTK+, HTX or the GTX+ variants.

Last edited by ashis89 : 9th June 2020 at 19:40.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 19:38   #71
BHPian

Voted Yes.

I observed that most comments mention about how they like the looks of Seltos more and the only reason why they might buy the Creta is because of the Panaromic Sunroof or the interiors. I agree.

However, we are just a minority of the people. Not everyone cares about the looks so much. After all, you spend more time INSIDE the car than looking at it. How do you explain the sales of Ignis and the old Dzire?

Further, the after sales service might not matter in metro cities, but they do matter in Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities, where Hyundai has a clear advantage.

Lastly, the brand Creta is synonymous with the best C2 SUV available. The Hyundai tag just adds on to it. Not everyone knows the roots of Kia and they won't care even if it is a better product (which it is not, it is the same product).

In the long run, Creta will definitely win over Seltos.
Old 9th June 2020, 19:43   #72
BHPian

Choosing between the two is quite a dilemma. If it was for me I would choose the Seltos right away, but when it's for my uncle and he is relying on me to choose the right one for him(the perks of being a bhpian), It isn't easy.

He is not that much into cars or driving. He just need to get from point A to B, but in the present traffic scenario he wants to do it with the convenience of an automatic transmission and in the comfort a mid size suv can offer. Hardly he drives 5000 to 6000 kms a year. He keeps the car for more than 5-8 years, so all the convenience and safety features a model can offer is preferred so that he wouldn't feel outdated three years down the line.

If at all the new creta was any less polarising than it presently is, I would have happily chose the 1.5L petrol IVT SX(O) model for him. But i can't. He is not happy with the way it looks. Even if he buys it now, 9 out 10 people who sees him with the car will bash it for the looks and ask him if he didn't had any other choice in the segment. Although we could say that it's our preference and our choice, it would still hurt us after spending those 20 odd lakhs.

If its the Seltos, design is Ok. But still there isn't a service centre near him(nearest one is about 50kms). He doesn't trust Kia as much as he trust Hyundai till now. Better handling and steering in seltos doesn't sparkle his desire. And the rear seat comfort( for the family of five)is not as great compared to the creta. The petrol IVT in seltos is not feature loaded or rather not available in top of the line variant. We lose a lot of features in the particular variant HTX, especially the extra airbags and other safety features. His kids would also miss the view of panaromic sunroof(from creta). He gains the 360 degree camera though(a feature he desires). Then from Seltos range, I would have to choose the GTX(plus)1.4DCT petrol for him. Then the reliability of DCT gearbox for such a long term ownership is still a gamble (or is it?).

Does this get any more confusing than this?
Old 9th June 2020, 19:57   #73
Senior - BHPian

Personally as much as I like the Seltos, the sole dealer in my Tier 2 city just seems not very keen to do follow ups post multiple visits. The last time I felt this way was when I visited the sole Tata Motors dealership. Hyundai has multiple dealerships and they love fighting over themselves over 1 customer. This makes it easy for customers to pit one against the other for better offers and most Hyundai staff are more than accomodating in terms of your odd requests.

Kia might have their staff running around in suits and pretend like they're selling you a German luxury car(a feeling I got when I visited a suit booted Nexa dealership in Bengaluru too) but they are yet to understand the desi business model that has kept Hyundai and MS at the top for so long. And that model is what Vin Diesel throws around in the Fast franchise i.e., "Family".

The aforementioned 2 brands build relationships with customers who then stay loyal and invest within that brand for future purchase. Kia/Nexa folks make car purchase feel like a contract based business negotiation wherein after the end of purchase they may not even recognise you.

It is then no wonder that a large Hyundai dealer network in the state has a tag line that literally reads "Drive home a relationship".
Old 9th June 2020, 21:30   #74
BHPian

Voted NO!

Creta and Seltos barely have any differences except the styling. The new Creta has lost its classy clean lines look, the one that transformed the pseudo SUV market.

The new one is way too polarizing to digest and the design theme does not have continuity. The interior is way more subtle, but I'm not a fan of the vertical black slab central console with blank spaces especially in the Auto climate control panel. I felt the overall plastics cheaper than the piano Black and soft touch horizontal fascia panel in the Seltos.

The styled steel wheels on the S variant look hideous and look like a set of kid drawn stars on the wheel. The machines alloys too look overdone.

A product which is equally good and just as capable as the Seltos is messed up with 'over design', which Hyundai addresses as 'Sensous sportiness '.

The Seltos though misses out on the paddles and it is sorely missed on the DCT variant.

Views are absolutely personal and intend to offend no one.
Old 9th June 2020, 22:23   #75
BHPian

I think people are confusing the question. The questions isn't " Do you prefer the Creta over the Seltos"?
If that was the question: my answer would have been no.

But in terms of sales, I think the Creta will outshine the Seltos.
1) As everyone has said, it has the better and widespread dealer network.
2) People know and trust the brand
3) Quite a few sales are likely to be Petrol auto and the Diesel auto where the Creta undercuts the Seltos (in GT trim and on top end diesel). Confusingly, the petrol CVT and base diesel AT Seltos is cheaper than the similar Creta. Also manual Seltos is cheaper, but the trend is moving towards more auto cars.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the new Creta with a barge pole, but I still think it will outsell the Seltos by a healthy margin
Amsdoc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks