Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy one today?
Yes 309 44.59%
No 384 55.41%
Voters: 693. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2020, 11:51   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)

Voted No!

Did not like it as new and same sentiments even now. It maybe a reliable workhorse but for me its more of a commuter car in the SUV space.
Old 12th June 2020, 12:06   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted a firm NO! Terrible interiors, lumpy ride and high prices make it impossible to choose, especially when the market is rife with excellent bargains from the German luxury trio in the same price range. For example, a used 2011 BMW X5 with fewer KM on the ODO sells for almost the same as a Fortuner that has run 3 times as many kms. The latest Generation Ford Endeavour, which is much more sophisticated and modern with fewer kms available for the same price as a late model automatic 4X4 Fortuner from the 1-st generation (around Rs. 20 lakhs)

BTW, a suggestions to Mods on cars to consider for future car-of-the-week lists - The W212 Mercedes E-Class - lost of used ones seem to be available in the market at very attractive prices starting around 12 lakhs or so.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th June 2020 at 12:16.
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 13:37   #18
BHPian

Voted for NO.

Absolutely agreed with what GTO said. Loved it in 2009, and considered it the best SUV then. Not anymore.

The only reason to buy a 1st-gen Fortuner will be for the snob value and to have a reliable (and basic in some way) SUV. It still looks great!

However, this discussion makes no sense for someone like me, who stays in Delhi (NCR). Diesel vehicles only upto 10 years are allowed here, and hence you can find well maintained Delhi models for mouth watering prices.
On the flip side, it makes a lot of sense for people staying around Delhi! Can buy a neat piece at a great price!
bansal.sushant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 14:08   #19
BHPian

Voted a strong NO. Pre-owned fortuner in Chennai cost a bomb honestly. I see even a 10 year old driven some 150k to 200k still getting quoted upwards of 12.5 lakhs. With the new vehicle norms taking shape I am not sure how the pre owned space is going to be.
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 15:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't have bought it when it was new and surely won't buy one used. I've sat in the rear bench for a while and found it woefully lacking in under thigh support also the ride wasn't pliant at all.
You cannot doubt the presence it commands though.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 15:27   #21
BHPian

Voted NO because of the following reasons:

1.Extremely poor brakes
2.Not so nice interiors
3.Commands a very high resale
4.Lots of meter tampered cars
5.Too common in white
6.Ride is bumpy
7.Absolutely outdated in front of similarly prices used Santa Fe's or the likes
Last reason not valid for the rest of India-NGT wont allow.
dhruvritzed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 15:50   #22
BHPian

Voted Yes - as its a very reliable car for one to chose from the used car market. But personally I will not buy one because of its firm steering. I am so used to electric power steering now, that whenever I drive a Fortuner now I get tired after 5 kms. Even the current generation Fortuner have this issue. If it gets sorted in the next generation it will definitely be in my consideration.
Old 12th June 2020, 15:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

I am not really into used cars but if anytime I buy used cars, I would not look beyond Toyota/Honda/Suzuki. If I am looking at current generation Fortuner, I would not buy one but would pick up the Endeavour. However if older generation, I'd pickup Fortuner. The previous generation Endeavour had equally bad rear seats. Used German/European cars, Well not even in my dreams. I can't think of these as anything more than showpiece in my garage.
Old 12th June 2020, 16:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Voted yes on just reading the title. It'a Toyota so most probably will outlive me (NGT not interfering). Great car for driving outside the city, will be a pain as a daily drive.
Old 12th June 2020, 16:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

This is one car I have in mind as a replacement for the bolero. I have the requirement for it and no it won't be used for travel alone. Plantation workhorse, nothing comes close and no worries with regards to reaching anyplace and getting back.

This depends on financial situation of course.
Old 12th June 2020, 16:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Voted No. This is purely out of practical point of view. After driving first generation Innova extensively, I can say that if I am in a used car market with the amount demanded by Fortuner, I would rather get a used Crysta. Fortuner due to its tough build might be abused a bit more than rivals. If I had too many interstate drives, heavy usage on state highways, am in business of some sort, I might consider Fortuner. But am doing a private job, do have trips mostly on reasonable roads and I love tighter body control of smaller cars, including Innova. Last but not the least, second row of Fortuner isn't as comfortable as Innova.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 12th June 2020 at 16:19.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 16:27   #27
BHPian

Yes, there are good reasons for the car being listed in our weekly thread. I would like to buy if the price is right, but these are usually over priced. A 10 year old fortuner sells at a price where you can buy a brand new 7 seater SUVs of lower segments.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 12th June 2020 at 16:34.
Old 12th June 2020, 16:48   #28
BHPian

Voted Yes.

If you're in the market for an SUV with a powerful engine, mod potential, low maintenance costs, abuse friendly, a very reliable engine, limited off road prowess and an unmatched road presence then it should be your choice. Because frankly there's nothing else that the car will offer you.
As a Fortuner owner, I think in the present day market Fortuners only make sense in the used car market. Unless Toyota plans to reduce the prices, load it to the gills and give it a pliant ride, I'm never buying one new again. But what I'm happy with is the Maruti like service bills and the fact even at 83000 kms the car has 0 rattles and still runs like new. And if you're not bothered with missing features and a bouncy ride it should well serve you for a decade and more if serviced regularly. The bouncy ride can be solved to an extent if you look at after market suspensions like TEIN or ARB or Ironman nitro gas comfort kit.
kraken is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 17:18   #29
BHPian

Kind of used car you should avoid. Not because it is unreliable or something. But it holds its value so well, that the current options on the market are all overpriced compared to what they are offering.Used cars are best when they depreciate like stink.

I mean you get an 11 year old Fortuner for 10-12 lakhs in MH. With those interiors, refinement and NVH? Nope. Its the Bolero of premium SUVs.

I'd rather buy a used Duster AWD (surprisingly good ride quality) for my soft roading needs (6L) and a used Thar for my off roading needs (5L) and still be within my 11 lakh budget.

A big NO. I know, I just killed that Fortuner dream for many.

Last edited by octane1002 : 12th June 2020 at 17:28.
octane1002 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 19:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Voted no.

The car holds its value like crazy! A 10 year old car for 10-11 lakhs. Too expensive in my opinion!

The interiors are dated, ride bumpy. Except for the road presense and the reliability that comes with Toyota, I don't think there is much going for it in today's world. Specially when the proverbial sword hangs over diesel vehicles more than 10 years old.

Last edited by vibbs : 12th June 2020 at 19:39.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks