Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy one today?
Yes 309 44.59%
No 384 55.41%
Voters: 693. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2021, 11:39   #91
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Having owned both, let me tell you both EcoSport and Fortuner’s ride is extremely stiff. But the major difference is that on a slightly uneven road where the EcoSport will ride smoothly, the Fortuner will always remind you on what surface you’re driving on. The ride is always unsettled. If you can look past the unsettled ride, then the other pseudo CSUVs don’t stand a chance in front of a Fortuner even if it’s the 1st Gen.
I think the unsettled ride comes with the ladder frame chassis. But the Innova is good.
Is it a bother for long distances. Will the driver/passengers tire quicker?

Quote:
Another place where you will find a big difference coming from the EcoSport is the brake pedal. Where the EcoSport’s brake pedal is precise and provides excellent feedback with just the right amount of pressure applied on the pedal, Fortuner’s is completely opposite. The bite point is extremely hard to find and can catch you out if not careful. (My experience is with the manual 3L Fortuner, in the automatic there is a possibility that the brake pedal behaves differently for obvious reasons.)
I think one will have to get used to this.

Quote:
Where the EcoSport thuds through potholes, with the right (higher than what you would carry in any other car) speed the Fortuner demolishes the same pothole, but carry low speed and the Fortuner’s ride will be unforgiving.
This is what I like about the Fortuner. Seen them gliding where I have to crawl. And I do not like the thudding of the Ecosport over bad roads.

Quote:
If you ask me today, for 15 Lakhs you get CSUVs with less space, a Fortuner for <15Lakhs will offer you double the space, proper 4WD capability and will still give you service bills lesser than the newer CSUVs. Show the Fortuner open smooth tarmac on highways and it can cruise all day at 120kmph without much fuss.
Thank you. The reliability, low service bills, road presence, space and 4WD pulls me towards the Fortuner.
Prakritij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 23:38   #92
BHPian

Looking for a dated offroader for adventures of sorts but at what cost?

Since the ban on vehicles older than 10 yrs in some places and fitness criteria in most. Is buying a a deisel vehicle older than 10 years still a good choice to make. My love for off-roaders is what got me to think of this questions. I have been planning on purchasing a fortuner MT mainly for its 4x4 capabilities (4x2 out the window). Since the recent price hike not only has the price of a new unit gone up but even the second hand market has more to cash on now. Not all of this hike is due to Covid-19 pandemic, but that for some other day. Since this purchase is mainly adventure driven I really wanted a vehicle that can take a beating. Fortuner being top in the list since I have to travel abroad for months together leaving the vehicle parked. So it is logical to own something that has low maintenance and can stand firm with time. All of these conditions are really pushing me towards the good old 4x4 MT first gen fortuner (for some reason they refer to it as Ironman fortuner ). Not only will it be waayy under budget but will also give me room to experiment with hell of offroading mods.

Name:  images.jpeg.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  8.0 KB

The Problem
Since I reside in north India (LKO) and just cannot avoid going to delhi/NCR will it be right to purchase something so old and awesome but a red flag due emission norms?
z_3en is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 00:50   #93
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for a dated offroader for adventures of sorts but at what cost?

For "it's ability to stand firm with time", yes Fortuner will be a good choice. Also, of you follow the preventive maintenance schedules properly, it shall not give you surprises. Additionally you will have to take some extra precautions when it will be unused for long intervals.

But the diesel car older than 10 years cannot ply the roads in Delhi and NCR. So if you love Fortuner and of you are getting very sweet deals I would suggest you to go ahead. The NCR trips can be handled by renting the local cars.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 01:45   #94
BHPian

Re: Looking for a dated offroader for adventures of sorts but at what cost?

As far as I know the government is in the process of implementing the ban on 10 years old diesel in LKO also. They have already done it in couple of cities in Haryana. Rohtak, Sonipat, Jind & Bhiwani are to name a few. The implementation is not far away for Lucknow. A friend of mine who is looking to buy a Kushak in Hyd told me today that Hyd is also implementing the ban.
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 13:15   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe a 2015 Fortuner 4X4 MT will be a better bet, considering it will still have some life left to reach the 10 years mark, unless you like the looks of the OG Fortuner better.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 21:45   #96
BHPian

Hi everyone. I have a 2011 fortuner which I'm planning to drive down from Mumbai to Leh via Srinagar route in June. Can anyone tell me from which city the 10 year diesel vehicle ban starts from if I have to travel from Mumbai? I was thinking of doing Mumbai - Udaipur - Jaipur using the western peripheral expressway - Sonipat - Panipat onwards. I have been thinking the ban is in Delhi only. But if it's Ncr then I'll have to work a different route. What will be my best option. Pls suggest.
abhijeetveer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 03:30   #97
BHPian

Help deciding on buying used Fortuner

Hi,

A local used car dealer known to my family sent me pictures of a single-owner impeccably maintained 2011 4x4 MT Fortuner which has done 1.7 Lac Kms.

Yesterday I drove it, and the vehicle is indeed impeccably maintained, all the issues I found were cosmetic and on the interior which is to be expected for a 2011 vehicle. My plan is to install new carpets and seat cushions and covers anyways and add some accessories like a reverse camera and navigation.

I would have preferred an AT (so wife wouldn't hate it) but those are rarer than unicorns or are twice the price of this one.
  1. Seller is asking 10L for it, and I would like to know what a good price range for a 2011 model should be?
  2. How much can I expect to pay for a 4x4 AT 1st gen Fortuner?
  3. Is my understanding correct that vehicles made after 2016 are 2nd Gen and came with more than 2 front airbags?
  4. I plan to take it to the local Toyota showroom for them to give their opinion on the vehicle, anything else I should be getting inspected before discussing price for the vehicle, would 9L or lower be too low for this model?
Any other advice is appreciated, thank you!
Strykar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 20:40   #98
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help deciding on buying used Fortuner

Just to make your choice easier, there are no AT as well as no 4X2 in the 1st gen Fortuner, at least in India. Both these options where introduced later in 2012 facelift.

And all 1st Gen fortuners (from 2009 to 2015) comes only with 2 airbags.

For a 11 year old fortuner with 1.7 lacs kms, I won't offer more than 8 Lacs. And yes, do take it to ASC and cross check everything. good luck!
iTNerd is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 14:23   #99
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help deciding on buying used Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykar View Post
A local used car dealer known to my family sent me pictures of a single-owner impeccably maintained 2011 4x4 MT Fortuner which has done 1.7 Lac Kms
What is your use case, if I may ask? If the intent is to just bash it around on off-road trails and this will not be your primary/family car, should still be okay.

While it is a Toyota and a Fortuner, it is 11 year old and the odo-reading is not low either. Please be mentally prepared to spend time and money on regular maintenance, should you end up buying it. Moreover, this generation might not be safest around - 2 airbags, no rear discs, erratic braking, etc. Tempting as it might be, please do consider all these aspects before you take the plunge.

Last edited by cool_dube : 18th July 2022 at 14:26.
cool_dube is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 14:44   #100
BHPian

Not related to the first gen Fortuner but hopefully this helps a prospective buyer.

I don't have the pictures in hand but my relative upgraded to an used 2nd gen Fortuner 4x2 MT(2015) from his Xuv500 (launch edition) a year and a half back as per my suggestions. He could've purchased any high model of the german marquees as well but wanted a reliable workhorse as his running is anywhere from 30-50k kms a year and the Xuv500 had given big headaches during it's life.

The car was purchased from a used car dealer in Karol Bagh, Delhi and was owned by a person who worked in the dutch embassy if i recall correctly. It was immaculately maintainted with only the driver side door repainted which is fine as the job was well done and car had full service records. The odo reading was somewhere around 59,000 kms. The purchase price came down to 15.5 Lakhs from an original asking price of 17.5 after some negotiations and there was some % of dealer commission as well iirc.

Since then, my relative has only spent on regular service and upgraded the tyres to Apollo Apterra AT2. He also removed the bench seats in the middle row and added seperate captain seats with padding but the expected comfort level is still not upto the mark as per him. There has been 0 niggles to speak of as the car has run well over 1 lac kms and continues to do it's duty reliably. There are no rattles or squeaks from anywhere.

Quote:
Hi
Hi, i don't see any point in taking a gamble on this particular Fortuner as the first gen is too long in the tooth now and the ride was supposedly very bumpy if we go by the official reviews. Even though it's a Toyota, that mileage is something i wouldn't be comfortable with especially in such a old model. If your budget is strict, then you may get it checked at Toyota ASC and then take an informed call.

If the budget can be stretched, then I'd strongly suggest to go for the 2nd gen later year models as they have extra electronic safety tech and they are available aplenty. Just look for a low to medium mileage model that has not been modified especially with those cheap chinese LED's that people love to adorn the 2nd gen Fortuner with.

Last edited by Doonite : 18th July 2022 at 14:56. Reason: Added reply
Doonite is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 17:15   #101
BHPian

Thank you all for the responses, I did pull the trigger on the car
My reasons:
  1. Came via known party, single owner, impeccably maintained and the service history
  2. The ASC took almost a whole day to inspect the vehicle, the chief service engineer for Fortuner's took a long drive with me and he was happy with the vehicle's engine, transmission and suspension
  3. The few 2nd Gen's I had found were 14L+ and way over my budget
  4. I didn't mind buying a 1st gen and dropping some money on parts as needed
  5. I closed the deal for a lot less than he asked and was glad to read the amounts suggested here
My next steps are to replace the rear brake pads and take it for a drive to Goa and Karwar. Then replace floor carpet and ceiling upholstery, seat covers, head / fog lamps and install a navigation unit. Let's see if this drive pops anything loose.
Did some light off roading at a farm near Shirval, which has a mud track approach only in the rains, I did not even lock center diff on the well worn Michelin AT's, the vehicle breezed through with an occasional mild skid.
This car is not my daily driver, and I'd still prefer to use my Duke 390 in town over even a Fabia / Nano. This is for drives to Goa, Ladakh and the North East. After 5 or more years, I will probably sell it or go full nuts and install lockers, 6 inch lifts and 36" tires and keep it as a pure off-roading car.

I have tons of questions on accessories and mods, will post them in the appropriate sub-forum, cheers!
Strykar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 17:57   #102
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

There is a certain timelessness about all the first gen designs. And the 10-11 year old Fortuner with its 3 litre Diesel and Fulltime 4WD has proven itself repeatedly ad nauseam as an indestructible workhorse or explorer.
This is why I voted yes. Provided of course that the vehicle under consideration for purchase has been well maintained and owned by someone who likes and cares for their vehicles. No 11 year old car will come without some niggles at least so yes one has to be prepared to spend to restore it. But in a Toyota the chances are that less things will go wrong.
And Im only saying this because of the sheer number of aged Toyotas I have personally seen and which are still doing duty in multiple developing nations across the world.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 19:41   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for the responses, I did pull the trigger on the car
My reasons:
  1. Came via known party, single owner, impeccably maintained and the service history
  2. The ASC took almost a whole day to inspect the vehicle, the chief service engineer for Fortuner's took a long drive with me and he was happy with the vehicle's engine, transmission and suspension
  3. The few 2nd Gen's I had found were 14L+ and way over my budget
  4. I didn't mind buying a 1st gen and dropping some money on parts as needed
  5. I closed the deal for a lot less than he asked and was glad to read the amounts suggested here
My next steps are to replace the rear brake pads and take it for a drive to Goa and Karwar. Then replace floor carpet and ceiling upholstery, seat covers, head / fog lamps and install a navigation unit. Let's see if this drive pops anything loose.
Congrats! Do check if the brake booster had been replaced by Toyota as earlier lots of 2010/2011 comes with weak braking. Toyota offered free upgrade to brake kit and booster, I believe. Also, if water pump and timing belt were not replaced in its life-time, do change to new, considering the mileage it had run. Otherwise, the engine is rock solid and should serve you few lacs more without much hiccups.

BTW, the fortuner I bought 2 years back was a 2010 make, with just 46000 kms on the odo and got it for a bargain 7 lacs, just before the pre-covid period. Since then I had been using it extensively in our farmhouses in NE states in inhospitable terrains. And I can't think of any other car that would take such kind of punishment and abuses as gracefully as the like of Toyota BOF Fortuner. Since I purchased it, apart from suspension rubber bushes, routine oil changes, my Fortuner didn't demand any other expenses and really amazed at the reliability and quality of the original parts that had held up really well.
iTNerd is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 19:54   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Congrats! Do check if the brake booster had been replaced by Toyota as earlier lots of 2010/2011 comes with weak braking. Toyota offered free upgrade to brake kit and booster, I believe. Also, if water pump and timing belt were not replaced in its life-time, do change to new, considering the mileage it had run. Otherwise, the engine is rock solid and should serve you few lacs more without much hiccups.
Excellent suggestions, another local owner had suggested getting the timing belt inspected, I will add all your suggestions to the list when I get it serviced day after tomorrow.
Strykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 17:59   #105
BHPian

There was a famously running gag about Pre -2012 Fortuners being Unstoppable (not in a good way). Pease be mindful.
ASHUJNMC is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks