Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
1 expensive vehicle 173 26.62%
Multiple inexpensive vehicles 477 73.38%
Voters: 650. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2020, 22:25   #91

Re: Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?

Voted for multiple inexpensive cars. Nowadays all the care so immensely equipped that you do not need an expensive one also it depends on the need of the family. If there are multiple drivers in the family than one car cannot do justice. An inexpensive top end of cars are ideal in a city like delhi. For this particular reason Only i think Compact Sedans and Compact SUV works. People buy top end Creta or Seltos which have more or equivalent features like a premium car.
RachMath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 22:32   #92
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
  • Additional parking space
  • Responsibility of cleaning them.
  • Additional insurance expenses
  • Additional maintenance expenses
  • Responsibility of rotating them.
My post is already posted by you, on my behalf

Insurance, and regular maintenance of all is sometimes irritating. Anybody have any clues, to remember each date and organise them in some way?
Old 3rd July 2020, 22:43   #93
BHPian

Currently my signature shows that I have two vehicles in my garage(200 NS and EcoSport, both bought new). Since both the vehicles were my firsts, I wanted to get it new. I intend to keep both for as long as time or government alllows.

For the future I'll prefer to own multiple inexpensive vehicles as these cars are way more reliable than the 80L-1cr priced cars .
Plus I travel to any place randomly and at any point of the day. So the cars within 40L and bikes within 6-7 are reliable in this regard. As per GTO's recommendation, I'll go for slightly used vehicles so that I won't end up cursing the government for the taxes they take from us vehicle owners.

Both these vehicles are special and I have a lot of memories with both equally.

Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?-img_20200613_18551301.jpeg

Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?-img_20170415_12401201.jpeg
Old 3rd July 2020, 22:46   #94
BHPian

This is the classic "It depends!" question! For a 40L budget, I would rather go for a compact SUV and a sedan/hatchback to balance highway drives vs city requirements. On the other hand, for a 65L budget, I would just opt for a new 5 series as vRS+something does not match up to the delta (irrespective of the bhp). On the other hand, I might do a XC40 plus a hatch for 65L.

At the end of the day, there is an inflection point in price continuum above which the car experience changes in terms of build & fit/finish. When I speak of change, I imply a significant delta. That changes the equation of decision making and utility plays only a part in the decision making.
Old 4th July 2020, 01:17   #95
BHPian

All depends on the price point actually

For 10 big ones, I'd go with a single good car like a venue or rapid or nexon.

Stretch it just a bit and I'd spring for a decently maintained pre owned Superb or Octavia and toss in a brand new spresso or kwid for the roads where the bigger ones wouldn't like going too.

Currently too, I recently picked up a pre owned civic but I've realised she isn't suited for all conditions and hence about to pick up a dirt cheap pre owned Datsun Redigo to do the daily chores.
Old 4th July 2020, 02:47   #96
BHPian

One expensive suv and one premium bike. Iam the only driver and I don't like having chauffeurs. Any more vehicles and I wouldn't be able to either cherish or enjoy my hard earned rides.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 10:09   #97
Senior - BHPian

Voted Multiple cars.

My current garage

W205 C 250 d

Jeep Compass Trailhawk

Maruti 800.

Looking to add the new Kia Sonet or equivalent to the garage,( some time year end )

Won't sell the 800. It will be parked at my farm.

I have just tried to have a balanced garage.
Old 4th July 2020, 10:34   #98
Team-BHP Support

I prefer multiple vehicles.

Earlier I used to buy one luxury car for dad and a beater for myself.

This time did the opposite since his usage is reduced. So now I have the Kodiaq for myself and the Corolla for dad.

Ideally I would say a good garage would be a nice not so premium SUV as a daily and premium sedan for weekend.

My choice would be a Kia Seltos or similar and a BMW 3 series probably used as an ideal garage.

However practicality wise a premium SUV like a Kodiaq checks more boxes for city + out of town drives. With a BMW only the driver enjoys
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 13:27   #99
BHPian

Most of us are restricted in terms of budgets and parking space when it comes to our vehicles, so normally i prefer the formula as follows for my family :

Total no. of cars at home = Number of car users (ones who need the car for a whole day for atleast 3-4 days a week) + 1 (in case someone's car is out of service for any reasons)

Among these cars i play mix and match in various parameters like body style, fuel type, different brands, new/used vehicles, premium/beater, etc.
Old 4th July 2020, 14:55   #100
Senior - BHPian

Since the time I got married, its always been two cars at home. First it was the Dzire diesel and a Alto. Then we switched to the Rapid TDI and the Brio. And now the recent swap in 2018 was for a Creta 1.6 diesel and an Elite i20 Petrol.

When I was replacing my Rapid, ideally I wanted to buy the Jeep Compass. But if I spent 22 lakhs on the compass, I knew I wouldnt be able to replace the Brio soon. So I had to sort of budget 22 lakhs for 2 cars and swapped both in 2018. This way, we are good for the next 5 years at least.
Old 4th July 2020, 15:28   #101
BHPian

Having multiple vehicle helps,

1. When your one vehicle is at service station or under repair and during an emergency.
2. You get to experience ride, handling of two different vehicles.
3. It really helps when they are from different segments, like an SUV or MUV and hatchback or sedan or a combination ot these, Which will help serve different purpose.
4. Provides variety and breaks monotonous.

Having voted yes to multiple inexpensive ( which is with respect to that one expensive vehicle), I would always go with option 1, having a 4x4 compass and honda city at a cost of a endeavour or fortuner any day. What it offers, an all round package to face every situation.

If parking is not an issue, I will buy a pre owned MUV and a hatchback, at the cost of Honda City and make it 3 vehicles from different segments serving unique purposes.
Old 4th July 2020, 17:26   #102
BHPian

Voted for Multiple inexpensive vehicles.

Many reasons for it: you get variety of vehicles for different purposes, if something goes wrong in one vehicle, there is another one to fall back upon, till the problem resolves, etc.

My current garage includes: Safari 2.2 LX, Ford Freestyle TDCi Titenium plus, Suzuki Gixxer 155 SF and Activa
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 18:07   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello BHPians,
This is my first post here!
I have voted for Multiple Inexpensive Vehicle.
Having a variety of vehicles gives you an idea of how different cars are and offer wider feasibility for use.If one has gone for service there is another vehicle always at our disposal. Also you will have a different car for all needs; sporty hatchback/sedan for fun, high ground clearance CSUV for everyday use and a 4X4 SUV for weekend trails and off roading.

My current garage consists of:- 2014 Ecosport 1.5L petrol MT(a rare find), 2017 Creta 1.6L petrol AT and 2014 Fortuner 3.0L diesel 4X2 MT.

Cheers
Old 4th July 2020, 22:27   #104
Senior - BHPian

I mistakenly voted for the wrong option. The correct vote would be many inexpensive cars & bikes.

I always believe that is the right thing to do but it's up to an individual what they choose.

For example - When we had the budget of buying a Jeep Compass, we decided to not to buy a single expensive vehicle. Bought a Baleno and then a Seltos. So you get the best of both worlds. A hatchback for city runabouts and an SUV to cruise on the highways!
Old 5th July 2020, 00:11   #105
BHPian

I voted for multiple cars.
I bought a ciaz, an alto and an interceptor 650 rather than buying a 20 lac car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks