Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
1 expensive vehicle 173 26.62%
Multiple inexpensive vehicles 477 73.38%
Voters: 650. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2020, 00:41   #106
BHPian

Re: Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?

Voted for one expensive car.

I would have a big SUV like the BMW X7 or Audi Q7. I would also love to have an expensive motorcycle like a Honda Africa Twin which is reliable as well. But as there's no option, I would stick to single expensive car.

provided, I am fortunate enough to afford all the costs that incur.

My current garage consists of: Kawasaki Ninja 650,Suzuki Access, Toyoda Fortuner, Ford Ecosport.
Old 5th July 2020, 01:08   #107
BHPian

What kind of question is this? I'm an enthusiast. How can I settle with just one car in my garage. If finance permits I'll have as many cars of my like in my garage. A sports sedan, a two door sports coupe, an SUV, etc the list will go on. So voted for multiple expensive cars.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 01:28   #108
rkw
BHPian

Price is relative & decision is a personal choice! Joy of driving multiple vehicles & catering to practical needs led me to vote for multiple "inexpensive" vehicles.
rkw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 01:59   #109
Senior - BHPian

Just ONE!

Currently, I have 2 bikes and 1 car:

1 x Pulsar 220 FI (2007)
1 x Ninja 300 (2019)
1 x Brezza (2016)

Sad thing is, I am not riding the bike much as I really wanted it to. Reason is very simple, having multiple vehicles will add a burden to the budget of maintaining it and the worse part attached to it is the oil change recommendation for every 6 months for a vehicle that has hardly covered 500 kms. It has run just 2.5k in a year and changing the oil would hurt me not because of the cost, but just for the sake of maintaining its health, it has to be done, which makes me feel sad as it's lying around barely used. Few vehicles are meant to be ridden / driven everyday to enjoy it for buying it, which is not happening with me at the moment

Therefore, it's better to spend money on a single plush vehicle and use it for primary & as well as secondary reasons for straight 5 years to make the most of it and then move onto upgrade, rather than making them sit or idle in the respective garage.

I would go with Endeavour in SUV's / a Skoda Octavia vRS, if I had a budget of 40L and enjoy it to bits. Having multiple vehicles will certainly not keep me satisfied even if I drive it alternate days, as I would still think of the car or bike I left behind in the garage. So, I will save some trouble for myself!

Regards,

RV
Old 5th July 2020, 08:06   #110
BHPian

Voted for one expensive car.

I feel the question is irrelevant since every enthusiast will want n number of cars whether expensive or not if he/she can afford them. So I have answered it with what I did. I bought the one which I could afford at max at that time. I could have got a higher segment car had I gone the pre-owned way but I was skeptical and wary of the reliability and honestly I wanted our first car to be a new one.

I also have an Activa, which serves as a beater car for me. This is the practical garage for a middle class family I guess. One expensive (term is relative) car and one/two scooter/bike.
Old 5th July 2020, 18:11   #111
BHPian

Voted For multiple vehicles, I have a Honda civic and Swift VDi in my garage, the former for the long-distance and family trips, and the later for the daily commutes and grocery runs. Both do their job very well, I can't think about going back to a single car garage.
Old 5th July 2020, 18:29   #112
Senior - BHPian

Voted for multiple vehicles. Current garage consists of a Polo TSI DSG & Alto K10 manual along with a gearless scooter for short run abouts. Alto serves the purpose of taking it within city, narrow streets & dicey parking spots where it would be a mental strain to take the Polo to. Polo serves the purpose of office runs for me (before pandemic situation), and as the highway runabout for the family. The scooter is an essential in Bangalore for very short grocery/salon/daily errand runs. Working well so far with this set up. If finances permit would certainly own one expensive car but shall still retain the Alto or similar entry level car for the city runs.
Old 5th July 2020, 22:07   #113

Voted for multiple vehicles. I own 3 vehicles that include a Volkswagen Vento 1.6 mpi, Polo 1.2 tdi and a Ritz Vxi. Things in the wishlist would Include upcoming cars such as the Next- gen Skoda Octavia VRs, The soon to be launched petrol variant of TATA Harrier and the Upcoming KIA Sonnet IMT. May even Include a budget electric vehicle and a Next generation Thar.
Old 5th July 2020, 22:47   #114
BHPian

Misunderstood the title - voted for 1 thinking for a given price, would you have rather one good car, or break it down into budget for 3? In that case, just 1.

If budget itself were not a problem, surely 3. Polo GT TSI + Octavia/Superb + Endeavour-ish. All good then.
Old 6th July 2020, 06:10   #115
BHPian

Voted for 1 expensive vehicle. Reasons being:
1. Would give me that sense of achievement and pride to own that vehicle that I always wanted.
2. Avoid the hassle to maintaining multiple cars.
3. Have space for parking just one car at the moment. More cars will mean I'll have to rent a parking space.
4. I have had a 2-wheeler (Honda Unicorn) for running errands since forever. This is arrangement (1 car + 1 bike) has worked to be very convenient for me.
Old 6th July 2020, 10:27   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for 1 expensive car.

1. It is all about aspiration. For me a 3 series is luxury and hence if I think right now, the option of buying a 3 series plus another vehicle instead of a 5 series looks lucrative. But the day I have the money for a 5 series, then a 3 series wouldn't make sense to me and lose its appeal. This can be extrapolated across all segments. A person only aspires for a vehicle from 1 or 2 segments above his current ride. Rest is not aspiration but a dream.

2. Nothing beats the feel of a brand new car out of the showroom. Money cannot be a factor here. If only saving money is the criterion then you will save even more by buying an entry level A/B/C segment car.

If I can afford it, I will always buy new and get that 1 expensive car.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 09:57   #117
BHPian

Multiple vehicles, main reason is the flexibility it gives you for specific requirements.

I would prefer Polo GTI for short runs, Jeep Compass for long drives, Triumph Bonnie for short weekend rides and a KTM 790 adv for long trips if they ever launch it in India
Old 7th July 2020, 10:19   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

An ideal garage for me would look like this:

1. Pre owned Toyota Corolla Altis for my folks
2. Suzuki Jimny for me
3. TVS Jupiter for errands
4. KTM 390/490 Adventure for solo touring/dual sport riding

Out of this, the jupiter and 390 adventure is already with me. Will trade our Ford Figo for an Altis at the right time. And will look at the Jimny when it arrives. I found this a reasonable and achievable set up without breaking the bank. Out of the lot, only the Jimny will be a "i want it" purchase.

Last edited by Red Liner : 7th July 2020 at 10:31.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 12:20   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
An ideal garage for me would look like this:

1. Pre owned Toyota Corolla Altis for my folks
2. Suzuki Jimny for me
3. TVS Jupiter for errands
4. KTM 390/490 Adventure for solo touring/dual sport riding

Out of this, the jupiter and 390 adventure is already with me. Will trade our Ford Figo for an Altis at the right time. And will look at the Jimny when it arrives. I found this a reasonable and achievable set up without breaking the bank. Out of the lot, only the Jimny will be a "i want it" purchase.
However jimney as well as KTM390 sounds interesting as both should help you with your adventure
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 14:46   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
However jimney as well as KTM390 sounds interesting as both should help you with your adventure
One other thing folks dont realise is, with multiple vehicles you spread the annual mileage around. This allows all your vehicles to last much longer, allowing you to keep them beyond 5-6 years within reasonable mileage and overall service costs.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks