Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2020, 23:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: BHPians, what rules do you apply for passengers in your car?

1. Every one belts up. Mostly its my wife and kids who always do it.

2. Eat what you want, but no force feeding the driver (that's me).

3. Back seat driving will be dealt with violent reactions.

4. No manual navigation. You tell me where you want to go, I'll take you. No take this left here - take right there business.

5. Nagging questions about trip progress shall not be entertained.

6. Nothing should be kept on the rear parcel tray or on fascia.

As long as I am not feeling sleepy, am ok with fellow passengers sleeping. I am famous for putting my kids to sleep by driving :P

Last edited by narayans80 : 20th July 2020 at 23:57.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 23:50   #32
BHPian

Nice thread. These are the rules that i would like my co-passengers to follow:

1. Buckle up.
2. No smoking inside the cabin as i always drive with Windows rolled up.
3. No such restrictions on having food inside cabin. But the associated by products should be disposed properly.
4. No fiddling with the music system. I have absolute control on what i want to listen.
5. Having proper conversations with co passengers.
6. Last but not the least not to bang the door forcefully while closing it.
Fordlover88 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 23:53   #33
BHPian

1) Passenger (at least front) must always wear seatbelt.
2) Kids must wear seatbelts at all times and must remain seated at all times.
3) Kids cannot ever touch the power window or door lock controls without permission.
4) No heads through the sunroof - EVER.
5) NOTHING may be placed on the dashboard (even the lightest smallest object may become a deadly projectile in the event of a crash or emergency braking).
6) If you don't like the A/C, close your vent or redirect it.
7) Eating in the car IS NOT PERMITTED - EVER.

Last edited by pillainp : 20th July 2020 at 23:55.
pillainp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 01:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

1. Seat belts. On highway trips everyone belts up including rear passengers. No exceptions.
2. No food/ eating inside the car.
3. If smoking, ensure ash is outside the car.
4. Close the door properly. It's not a taxi.
5. If possible clean/dust your feet before entering the car.
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 04:04   #35
OSH
BHPian

Apart from the common ones, my unusual requests rather than rules are;
  • Not to change the position of AC vents if its raining outside. This is to prevent the glasses from fogging up due to the incorrect direction of airflow.
  • Not to step on the door-sill while getting in and out.
  • Not to touch any glasses from the inside.

Last edited by OSH : 21st July 2020 at 04:06.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 10:08   #36
BHPian

I am the only one to drive my car in my family which means I need to have some stern rules for the passengers. Here they are :

1. No eating in the car
2. Rear parcel tray to be kept clear all the time
3. Don't request to roll down the windows (applies to my friends)
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:01   #37

Can't agree more on point no1 and 3. Loved the fact that you make your passengers use the backseat belts. Nobody follows that rule it's common sense the backseat belts are not for show they also provide safety.
Old 21st July 2020, 12:23   #38
BHPian

Nothing out of the ordinary for me except one which really does my head in.

No one changes the volume using he knob on the HU. All Polo owners with a slight OCD will get this (and Hexa owners too). The power button on the volume knob rotates with it and if it is in any position other than upright, I just can't take it.
So tell me 100s of times to change the volume, and I'll do it from the steering mounted control, but don't touch the knob.

Apart from this the usual seatbelt and no food rule. I don't pester though about it and the second rule can be bent for close friends and family. Primarily because they know how much I care about the car and take all the necessary care to not drop food inside the cabin.

If it does happen accidentally, then there's nothing a quick vacuum cannot clean. Some folks are more important than cars.
GrandTourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:26   #39
BHPian

1) You may get in with a coffee cup or a soda in the front passenger seat as there are sufficient cup holders, but not in the rear seat.

2) Do not block my rear view, especially left corner. I align my IRVM at an angle to cover for that. This includes keeping stuff on the rear parcel tray.

3) do not go stomping on my seat belt!!!

4) Do not comment on my driving style or speed; while I am behind the wheels I am the boss.

5) No smoking in the car. I am a smoker and I myself do not smoke in the car.
Old 21st July 2020, 12:48   #40
BHPian

Meh, I can count on one hand the number of times I have had any passengers in my car other than my wife; and she is the "almost ideal" passenger.

No screaming in fear. My car is smaller than what you imagine in the moment and will fit in that gap easily.

Eating in the car is limited to items that do not have the consistency of gravel or sand. Basically anything that can fit whole into the mouth (eg. cookies, peanut-balls, etc.) are OK. And nothing stinky.

Drinking - OK as long as it is in a covered travel-mug; and is not alcohol. I myself OD on coffee when I am driving - hence my obsession with cup-holders in any car I wish to buy (Rs. 1 Lakh per cupholder - My 2014 Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi).

Smoking - wife does not smoke. I do, but not inside the car. Same rule for any non-wife passenger.

Sleeping is OK, front seat or back, as long as you're not driving. In fact I prefer my wife sleeping in the passenger seat - she does not scream in fear when she's sleeping

(Anecdote: My wife falls alseep any time we are on a drive/ride. In fact, she constantly fell asleep on the back of my Goldwing. I would point out something interesting to her, and then I hear and feel a "thunk" on the back of my helmet - she's fast alseep.)

Blankets/sweaters - must for any passenger in my car irrespective of season since the aircon is set to "Antartica in a severe snowstorm in the middle of Winter" and shall never be changed. Passengers may have vent-direction control of the vent closest to the passenger door and no other vent - all other vents are carefully aimed at various parts of my body.

Parcel trays, front and rear shall stay unoccupied (not even the ubiquitous Ganesha idol) since I hate any reflections on the windshields.

Feet & legs shall always stay on the floor.

Seat-belts need not be worn as long as you are not inside the vehicle.

Fogged-up glass - do not wipe, ever. You're not driving, you do not "need" to see out the windshield. In fact, it is better for you to not be able to see out the windshield - that way you scream less

Music - meh, doesn't bother me - play with the controls as much as you want, play whatever music you want. But, no singing permitted unless you sing well. The handful of times I have been alone in the car, the music system stays silent except for whenever Karen Jacobsen wants to tell me something.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 21st July 2020 at 12:51.
tilt is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:56   #41
BHPian

Only one rule: all occupants should buckle up
Old 21st July 2020, 13:02   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Feet & legs shall always stay on the floor.
+1

I hate it, people watch it in movies, instagram posts and try to enact the same, click pictures with feet on dash, wave gestures of hands outside the window . A strict no.
I wonder what your driving style is by the number of times you've used the word 'scream' I don't mean to say it's not safe, it happens with me too, when you see a winding section and you can't control but hit those corners. The non-enthusiast occupants do make a big fuss about it.

Happy Motoring.
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 13:31   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
+1

I hate it, people watch it in movies, instagram posts and try to enact the same, click pictures with feet on dash, wave gestures of hands outside the window . A strict no.
I wonder what your driving style is by the number of times you've used the word 'scream' I don't mean to say it's not safe, it happens with me too, when you see a winding section and you can't control but hit those corners. The non-enthusiast occupants do make a big fuss about it.

Happy Motoring.
Heheheheh. Figure of speech because I am trying to be funny. No one (including my wife) has ever screamed when I drove.

My driving style is to be safe and courteous to other road-users while being as fast as I can without endangering myself or other road-users. And, always, anticipate and be prepared.

I limited my "rules" to passengers since that is what this thread is about. If you want my rules for driving itself (i.e. what all I do when I am at the wheel), that is a whole different and a very long article. I am 58 years old and have been driving (recreationally, commercially, and competitively) since the 1970s, all over the world, and all kinds of vehicles - from those with one wheel to those all the way up to 18 wheels, land; water; and air.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 21st July 2020 at 13:35.
tilt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 15:39   #44
BHPian

Rules as such, I 'enforce' only three -

1. Buckling up by all.
2. Do not slam the doors like they do of a State Transport bus.
3. No air conditioner, only fan.

Directive principles that I "insist" -

1. No food; or; only stuff that fits in the mouth as a whole (biscuit, chips, etc).
2. No frequent stops for clicking photos of that scenic overlapping of clouds, etc.
3. Pee breaks only, only at decent petrol pumps.

The practices I "follow religiously" -

I am not a fast driver by any means. In fact, I drive my car like a locomotive. He builds speed slowly and he sheds speed slowly. He notches down fully and then starts applying brakes. I take my foot off the A pedal then slowly brake. I am ridiculed by my mother and wife for this habit. Suppose we set for a 400 km journey which I usually complete in 8-9 hours, and start at 8 in the morning, my mother calls the relative at whose place we're going & the trolling goes on like this -

"Hello, we've started the trip. Cook anything light for the dinner, but please arrange the bed sheets for sleeping as we'd be very tired."

But notwithstanding all that, I follow my style to the core. There's a thread that discusses the vagueness of driving at 120-130 kph and taking more breaks than driving steadily at 90 kph and taking less breaks.

That was all about it. An interesting thread.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 15:55   #45
BHPian

1) No rolling down of windows
2) No smoking (haven't smoked myself ever in my cars)
3) Seat belts mandatory on long/highway runs

PS: I follow the same as a passenger in others car. My friends however, have let me smoke in their rides
Moto_Hill is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks