Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2020, 15:27   #1
BHPian

BHPians, what rules do you apply for passengers in your car?

Lets face it, we are all Autonuts here and to the outside world of non autonuts are those weird guys & girls who will be the person cleaning a car or bike in rain (you know the image I am talking about). I am sure we have our quirks we impose on those have the privilege of stepping into our vehicles so what are they?

Let me start,

1) Strictly, absolutely no wet food in the car, no liquid aside from water (juice spilt on seats is an absolute mess), definitely not hot beverages. On occasion for long highway drives, I bend the rules a bit but even here as much as possible the food must be consumed outside the car. Yes, I do allow the odd chips packet but the plastic (or paper) waste has to be disposed in a bag inside the car and then dumped in a garbage bin, chucking bags outside cars is also a strict no!

2) My Steering wheel position - I always find it odd that in the city I subconsciously revert to a most uncomfortable position - right hand at 10 on the clock - so my right shoulder is at a cross position and in long drives thanks to traffic I used to have stress on it. Highway was and is ALWAYS 3 and 9 on the clock, both hands firmly holding the steering (I once saw some video, loooong ago where a guy gets his thumb broken because he was driving with one hand - am not even sure if it can happen, but since then it is 3 & 9)

3) NO STICKERING - no cricket balls breaking into the fuel tank, no faith based stickers (no offense to anyone who has it), no funny slogans...just 2 TEAM BHP (live to drive) stickers. The front windshield has my office and residential complex stickers which are mandatory. This includes the egregious (to me) car showroom branding stickers, I always tell them to never put it up. This time though Kun Kia sneaked it in and I need to take it down

4) Nothing in the back which can obscure my view - No cute pillows, no treasure boxes...nothing, even the tissue box I stick it in the backseat pocket

5) Can't ever drive a dusty car and most days I Jopasu it 2 times - morning and before I leave my office

6) Everyone belts up if I know my average speeds will exceed even 60-70 KMPH in a sustained manner and this means the backseat. I face a lot of resistance on this as most Indians don't belt up in the backseat, but either you belt up or you walk.

I know I sound like some dictator but hey, that is the price you pay for a clean, good smelling, safe car.

For my two wheelers only 1 rule,

ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET (drive an Activa so no gear tbh), both rider and pillion whoever they maybe need a helmet.

Let me know your fun quirks.
Stribog is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 15:35   #2
BANNED

re: BHPians, what rules do you apply for passengers in your car?

The only rule I ask my passengers (whenever it is) to abide is, don't slam the doors during ingress/egress. Be gentle on them.

99% of the time, I am alone in the car so no rules as such for me apart from the one mentioned above.
a4anurag is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 15:51   #3
BHPian

Strict rules :

Nobody touches my music system and AC controls. It's not like I won't adjust, I'll change it as many times as you want but tell me instead of touching around.

No food, drinks in the car. Even something as simple as biscuit is bound to have some granules and pieces left behind and then there's litter. I don't mind stopping somewhere and eat all we want. Rather it's been a customary thing now to have a stop at CCD, Ahmednagar everytime I head to my hometown.

No handprints on windows. I absolutely hate it when people push the window to close the door instead of using door handles.

No touching window controls (mostly with newer set of friends, not with family and closed ones). There are always some odd ducks who would keep opening and closing window for no reason.

I certainly don't lend the car to anyone but family or my inner circle who very well know how would I want the car to be treated. I don't like it, people driving my car over 3k rpm in city, there's no scope of spirited drive in city and then to slow down from such speeds, jerked braking.

One thing for which everyone makes fun of me, including my family is how irritated I get when someone is even a bit hard while closing the door. Many a times I say 'truck ka darwaza band kar rahe ho kya?'
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 16:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is an interesting thread. My cardinal rules are:

1. Everyone in the car has to buckle up. Once a friend of mine argued and I had to let him out of the car without giving him the drop. This applies to the rear passengers as well. I always insist on wearing seat belts

2. DO NOT adjust my seating position: - I have been pretty blunt with the mechanics and service personnel not to alter my existing driving stance/position. It is a sweet spot and I do not like anyone tampering/changing it

3. No service center stickers please - I always insist that no service center folks be allowed to advertise through my windshield or the headlights. My windshield has just two stickers, one the FASTag and the other is the tiny company parking permit. The headlights do not have any stickers (I rarely use my high beam). I find it annoying to have multiple stickers of the wheel alignment, service centers displayed on my car

4. No coins in the car. I do not like the noise of any loose bolt or nut while driving. I am very allergic to any noise in the car. That could be rattles or anything else. Hence, I do not keep change/keys of my flat in the car. It is always in a bag that does not make any noise.
Raghu M is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 16:16   #5
Team-BHP Support

Nice thread! I had a lot of rules when I had a Palio and then a Baleno. No smoking, no drinking, no food etc. But slowly I realised that it was getting stressful. Once I bought a Bolero and eventually a Thar, all rules went out of the window. But recently after getting the Range Rover Sport, those traits are slowly coming back and I have already started feeling the tension with co-passengers!

Last edited by BlackPearl : 21st July 2020 at 01:20. Reason: Typo.
BlackPearl is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 16:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Here are my rules:
1) Everyone buckles up, especially on out-of-city trips for rear pax (usually my parents). My wife has now, after so many years of reminding, started to wear the seatbelt on her own as I fire up the car.
2) I hate it when small bags containing water, dry food etc are kept in the rear seat.They inevitably end up creating a mess after a journey.
3) As others mentioned, I get to fiddle around with the touch screen audio controls. Because if my wife tries to do it, she inevitably fumbles, and then I have to look at the screen anyway. It doesnt help that the Honda City has one of the least intuitive and responsive touchscreens.
4) I hate arguments over finding directions, especially when we have lost our way a bit. I am generally confident that Google will help. My father believes in human intelligence, i.e, asking people.
5) I am sometimes a bit too concerned about occasional unusual vibrations/rattles while driving. Interestingly, I get these quite a bit on the supposedly solid Polo GT and not at all on the supposedly tinny Honda City.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 20th July 2020 at 16:51.
fhdowntheline is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 16:48   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent thread! My rules as follows:

- No eating in the car. I'm very firm about this. Will stop by the road if you are hungry and we can snack outside.

- Smoking? I don't mind it at all. Even though I quit 2 years back, I love the aroma.

- Music remains my choice.

- Buckling up is mandatory for rear passengers on the highway.

- When the rev needle touches the red zone, please stop talking to me as I'm enjoying / focusing on the drive . I actually don't like continuous yapping on long drives. Would prefer to focus on the car + road + music.

- 1 medium-sized bag per passenger for a road-trip. Yeah, I know I myself don't travel light, but hey, it's my car!