Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2020, 20:59   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: BHPians, what rules do you apply for passengers in your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron82x3 View Post
3. Front seat please unfortunately I still come across people who don't have the courtesy to seat in the front seat when there is only one person accompanying me. I even had 2 people travelling with me, who smartly try to sit in the back seat together. They are made to understand, either the car moves without their presence (usually preferred for such people) or one of them finds their way in the front seat. I even didn't use to allow my father to sit in the rear seat (he does that only in our Alto, which has very uncomfortable front seats. He prefers to seat in the front seat of our other cars though). Now, when he has to sit in the rear seat, he asks for my permission, and I allow him. After all he owns the cars.
I understand the courtesy aspect. The front is only for those who enjoy driving . If someone is bored or fidgeting no front seat for them. I don't mind them sleeping but hate it when somebody sits in the front seat and reads the newspaper, blocking the LRVM.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 21:43   #92
BHPian

I consider my cars to be a very personal space and hence, have set some rules for myself, my fellow passengers, and others alike. While one odd reason might sound unreasonable, most have a reason behind them.

So here we go with my list:

1. I avoid the usage of a chauffeur unless its an absolute emergency. I like to sit on the driver's seat when I am in the car. No other seat would do for me unless I am with my younger brother where I take to the front passenger seat.

2. Strictly no consumption of eatables having strong flavors and smells inside the car during a long drive. I would rather take a hearty stop at a food joint and enjoy my food rather than have it in the confines of a cabin which doesn't really suit the purpose.

3. Strictly no alcoholic beverages inside the car. A fine drink deserves the right place, the right company at the right time. A car is one of the last places to really enjoy a drink. I anyways don't take out my car but book an Uber in case I have a plan for the weekend.

4. People chewing tobacco or paan are forbidden from entering the car. Its a filthy habit which I think should be completely banned altogether.

5. Strictly no religious or nationalistic idols or hangings in the car. I keep my religion and my beliefs to my heart and don't find it necessary to publicize it to the world. I have seen people having idols and our National Flag on the dashboard and then freely smoking, drinking, and even keeping their drinks right besides those idols and our Flag. I find it highly disrespectful.

6. I hate stickers unless they are required by law. I once had an episode with the management of an amusement park after they put their sticker on the rear windshield. Thankfully, they were apologetic and took it off after spending almost 15 minutes on it.

7. Whether sitting at the front or rear, please fasten your seat belts.

8. Strictly no loud music inside the car. I prefer quality over high volume and make sure that the sound does not get audible outside the car's cabin. And most importantly, it'll be my choice of music in my car.

9. I keep a box of wet wipe towels since they come in really handy at times.

10. I prefer using a good perfume rather than an air freshener inside the car. And yes, those active charcoal/carbon blocks do work effectively, especially during the rainy season. For places with very high humidity levels, those silica gel bags are a highly effective solution.

11. I don't use plastic water bottles, whether inside a car or at home. A good quality borosilicate glass bottle does the job perfectly fine. I try not to leave the bottle inside the car and take it with me to my office or back home.

12. No loose parking slips, ATM slips, or other loose bits of paper in the car. I keep them in my pocket and dispose them off properly.

13. While I am not a fan of plastic foot-mats, I do use them only during the rainy season. I also get my car shampooed post monsoons.

14. I don't stock spare coins in the car and put them in my daughter's piggy bank at home.

15. I do not share or lend my car to anyone except my younger brother.

16. I avoid rolling down the windows. So much so that my passenger side window jammed up and had to be repaired.

17. I hate it when people slam the car doors to a hard close. Unfortunately for me, my better half is the biggest culprit in this regard. In spite of a gazillion reminders, she ends up slamming the door hard time and again (my aching heart: Eeeee...it's not a taxeeee).
Herschey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 22:26   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I understand the courtesy aspect. The front is only for those who enjoy driving . If someone is bored or fidgeting no front seat for them. I don't mind them sleeping but hate it when somebody sits in the front seat and reads the newspaper, blocking the LRVM.
Did you read the thread from the starting and reach till this page!

Haha. Fortunately I don't have people who read newspaper on the front seat. I have had people who have video called their friends in my presence, but they were quick to understand my displeasure in that.
I don't mind having a good conversation with someone who is accompanying me in the drive. I love it as much I love my solo drives.
I don't mind people sleeping in the front seat, but I'd prefer if they could have a good conversation with me during that time. For the same reason, I keep them engaged by allowing them the freedom to choose the music from my phone. Infotainment screen access though not prohibited isn't preferred!
I have had people, who have used my steering mounted controls on a few occasions to adjust media volumes while I was driving.
Old 22nd July 2020, 22:26   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschey View Post
I hate it when people slam the car doors ...
This is such a regular rule that it must be a regular complaint. Thankfully, the few people who travel with me don't do it. For me, the need to slam the door goes with really old vehicles. Even the then-ancient 1974 Civic that I drove, in London, late '80s. did not need it, but one friend could not be convinced she was not still in 1959!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 22:31   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This is such a regular rule that it must be a regular complaint. Thankfully, the few people who travel with me don't do it. For me, the need to slam the door goes with really old vehicles. Even the then-ancient 1974 Civic that I drove, in London, late '80s. did not need it, but one friend could not be convinced she was not still in 1959!
Well, blame some cars for this.

For example, my dad, who is used to Safari Dicor and Storme, in which you really have to slam the doors or they won't lock properly in place. And when he travels in my ciaz , he slams the door because of that habit.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 23:41   #96
Senior - BHPian

I'd like to believe that I'm not too particular. Maybe people on the forum can comment.

But here's my list:
1. Everybody belts up
2. No smoking (of any sort)
3. Alcohol is in sealed bottles and stays in the trunk (California Law)
4. No loud music - I get to do a lot of solo driving, so I don't mind any music with friends
5. No slamming the door
6. I'd prefer you carry a jacket as my car can get a bit cold during long journeys
7. Please carry all necessities (chewing gums, make up, water etc) on-hand and don't make me regularly open the trunk
8. Please don't open windows without asking me
9. Feel free to ask me to slow down on hills (I'm a different animal in the twisties)
10. Feet stay on the floor, not on dashboard, center armrest (rear)
11. Any messy food is eaten outside or when stopped (if too cold outside.) I'm okay with a little munchies while on the move
12. No backseat driving
Old 23rd July 2020, 00:10   #97
BHPian

Well, basically, I would hate to have passengers whom I am not close to . So most city drives, and all highway drives cannot have anyone other than close friends or family as passengers. The only exception to these are the <20 min drive to a nearby eatery or pub. I am extremely averse to ferrying people using ride-sharing and carpooling apps.

Any passenger who gets over the above hurdles, needs to follow these rules:
  • Front passenger always belts in. Rear passengers belt-in for highway runs.
  • No consuming food in the car. No smoking either.
  • The AC and Music are at my command and my command only. The AC will be switched on only after about 7 mins or 3 Kms into the drive.
  • Power windows for all other doors are centrally locked and unlocked by me. No one rolls-up or rolls-down without my unlocking the controls.
  • Kids can occupy the back seats only. And if kids are present, back doors are always child-locked irrespective of adult presence in the back.

I am lucky my spouse loves and enforces these rules the same way as I do.
Old 23rd July 2020, 00:11   #98
BHPian

Awesome quirks of our fellow Bhpians! I have a few too!
1. No smoking. Although I smoke, my experience with an earlier car has been terrible: burnt seats, stinky AC, and the works. Therefore, I stop and smoke outside, and enforce it on others too.
2. Seat belts are mandatory.
3. I decide the music, unless the kid is playing DJ.
4. No food. Its tough with a kid who loves to munch on chips and drink milkshakes. However, I try to enforce it ro the best possible extent.
5. No alcohol.
6. No religious stuff. My wife thinks otherwise.
7. No service/dealer stickers.
8. No loose coins. They go to my daughter's piggy bank.
9. No littering inside the car. Again, this is tough with an 9 year old at the back seat.
10. Windows are almost never rolled down. This I enforce strictly. Its easier now with the Corona scare.
Old 23rd July 2020, 00:43   #99
Senior - BHPian

I for one don't give it much thought. Get in, sit down , adjust your seat and climate zone and lets go.

Frankly, I do not remember the last time someone entered my car with food or wanted to tinker with the music system, or wanted to roll down the window when the AC is on. Or generally just wanted to do something that would be preposterous in a car. Maybe the folks I hang out with are past that stage I dont know. But for me it mostly depends on the kind of person I am travelling with.

But Some of the 'rules' here are absurd to say the least. I am sure I would prefer taking the bus then to sit in a car with some of these rules being enforced.

To each his own I guess!

Last edited by bigron : 23rd July 2020 at 00:59.
Old 23rd July 2020, 00:53   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I'd like to believe that I'm not too particular.

Well you asked for comments:

12 detailed rules, and you believe that is not too particular?. How many rules do you have on stuff that you particular with?

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 01:34   #101
BHPian

No strict rules for me. Frankly, can't enforce anything though I frown when people don't wear seat belts at the back. Here in UK, I insist everyone to buckle up before starting off, even for short trips - easier here, as I can quote the rule book . Tough back home, especially reminding your mum and others seated at the back.

Another irritating one is the loud bang of the doors and tailgate. Though I do remind people while opening the door (not to hit the car parked by the side - here in London, parking bays are small).

Usually after a short out of town ride the car needs a once over (snacking :(). I don't mind cleaning up, however, time is at a huge premium now a days

EDIT: Smoking in the car is a strict no-no (not many people whom I am associated with do it anyway)

Last edited by Jeep : 23rd July 2020 at 01:35.
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:41   #102
BHPian

Lovely thread.

Yes, smoking inside a car is something i absolutely detest. Since my father used to smoke, i don't mind the aroma, but ashes seem to find their way into the car.

I also don't like dirty hand baggage being plonked into the seat when picking someone up.

Greasy hands in the roof grab handles soiling the roof lining material is also an absolute no-no though i haven't caught the culprit in the act.

I also drive mostly with the air-conditioner on. Switching the AC off without my permission and winding down the windows with a " lets have some fresh air" - you sir will never ride in my car again.

The worst i have faced is a gentleman adjusting the side mirror on the left side with the Yolk Handle to suit his "view".Thankfully will not face that problem in my new cars.
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:35   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
All I politely refuse is to hand over the steering.
A big +1.

I travel with my family 99% of the times. So I don't have any rules/guidelines for my passangers. There is no point in having one when you travel with a 6 YO kid and his mother (You can't stay both alive and say no to a mother feeding cookies/Pasta/Lunch/Dinner/Milk/coffee/Juice to her son).

Only one rule I was recently able to get every one adhered to is

- No legs on dashboard

Recently because I got a vehicle with airbags last year only.

I guess I am not a car guy but a road lover as I enjoy every second being on the road no matter what is going on around me. That tyre humm on different roads is highly addictive.

Cheers!!
Ry_der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:40   #104

Interesting thread. Will rank them based on importance for me.

1. Seat Belts are a must.
2. No sleeping in the passenger seat.
3. No hot drinks/food in the car. Don't mind water or dry snacks, as long as they give a heads up so I can slow down to drink water.
4. Music must be on throughout the drive.
5. Windows rolled up at all times except when in the mountains.
6. No loud phone calls for a long duration.
7. Coffee/comfort breaks only once every 3 hours.
Old 23rd July 2020, 10:43   #105
BHPian

1. Seat belts for sure. Even for shorter rides. Have taught the kiddo and so the car doesn't move until everyone is buckled in. He forced my brother to wear a seat belt after ages.

2. No smoking though being a smoker. As someone said before, had a bad experience with smoking in my first car and vowed never to do it. Have politely kicked out my boss once for lighting up in the car.

3. To the folks who say no sleeping in the front seat, you are all brave. The better half will get in, put a pillow and by the time we reach silk board, she is somewhere else. I would prefer this over "omg! go slow.. turn right.. no.. that truck.. this bicycle" or just the general wincing and ghost braking.

4. Music is mine but I'll adjust for longer drives. Though my music is absolute madness that ranges from Illayaraja to Honey Singh to Megadeth to Eminem.. to Bach. Go figure.

5. Detours - there is no fixed agenda when I drive. If I see something interesting, I'll take the detour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks