Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2020, 16:00   #76
BHPian

Re: BHPians, what rules do you apply for passengers in your car?

Excellent thread!!

Glad to know I am not the only nutcase who has rules one MUST abide by when sitting in my car.

1. ALWAYS buckle up!! No matter where one sits, where we are going, how slow the drive would be - One has to wear a seat belt whenever I am behind the wheel. Only exception to me being firm is when it comes to mom. There are hardly any times when both of us travel together, but when we do - there is no point telling her what to do as usually the instructions from come her

2. Avoid eating food as much as possible in the car.

3. Absolutely no LOUD music in the car. It can be loud as long as it is comfortable and can not be heard outside.

4. No feet on the dashboard OR on the seats.

5. Absolutely nothing should block any of the windows/windscreen of the car.

6. No luggage/bags to be carried inside the passenger compartment (other than my daughter's backpack). If the boot is not sufficient - lighten up!

7. During long drives - the co passenger isn't allowed to even take a cat nap. I have lost count how many times I have ended up fighting with my wife for this.

8. Absolutely no "kachra" allowed in the car. All the tissues, wrappers and whatever, needs to be taken out of the car as soon as the first opportunity presents itself.
Old 22nd July 2020, 16:18   #77

Nice thread by the way
I always want my car to be neat and clean. My driving style automatically changes according to the cleanliness of my car. Don't know why

Here are the set of rules I used to tell my friends, wife and kids
1) Wipe off the dust/mud from the footwear before entering inside especially when I ve washed my car, but they never do that
2) Never eat anything inside the vehicle
3) No smoking
4) Don't shut the door heavily
5) If anybody has the tendency of vomiting tell in advance so that they can vomit freely outside
6) Last but not the least Don't judge my driving

According to me vehicles are not just means of transport but a protective shield to travel safely. If we take good care of them they will also give back the same in return
Old 22nd July 2020, 16:30   #78
BHPian

Interesting thread, for me a car is a my beloved trusted dragon to take my family from one place to other in peace and happiness. I don't have any strict rules when it comes to my passengers, but I do have some general guidelines that my passengers are expected to follow

1. Eat whatever you want and try not to litter inside the car. In addition, don't try to feed me or ask me to eat something while driving, my job is to drive not eat. But, without exception don't through anything outside the car. I've a dedicated garbage bag inside the car for this purpose. I clean the car once the journey is over so no problem on this front for me.

2. Everyone needs to buckle up, I see almost everyone has listed this. I insist people in my car to buckle but I face a lot of resistance citing one reason or another. I'm not sure what are experience of everyone else on this rule

3. I plan my travel keeping in mind the time I want to reach the destination. I expect my passengers to start at the time I ask them to. This is relaxed sometime, but absolutely no instructions to drive fast to cover up the time. No compromise on this you start late you reach late.
For me its very important that I don't drive above 100KMPH on highways or expressways occasional 110KMPH is fine.
Old 22nd July 2020, 17:10   #79
BHPian

Nice thread.
My rules for passengers would be:
1. Buckling up is a must irrespective of speed.
2.. Music will be my preference.
3. Strictly no consumption of food/drinks inside the car.
4. No smoking. I hate it!
5. Don't pull the windows down without intimation.
6. Don't put any bags or luggage obstructing the rear view.
7. No honking in ears about the speeds I drive. I know how I handle my beast and drive within control. Please don't remind me once I touch 100 kmph. Let me enjoy the ride

Last edited by coolmind : 22nd July 2020 at 17:13.
Old 22nd July 2020, 17:21   #80
BHPian

Here are some of my rules:

1)No slow music on night drives. Nobody wants driver in Auto-pilot mode (Half asleep) on highway full of trucks.
2)Anyone can play any type of music as long as it's good, But don't skip songs every 20 seconds.
3)No rash driving, If anyone does even after requesting to slow down, I will ask them to stop for any valid-sounding reason and wait for a bus or demand to switch driver.
4)No food! Arm rest dining table, We can stop somewhere to treat tummy but not in my car. Please.
5)Seat-belt- I tell my friends the engine would stop due to safety settings after warning sounds if everybody is not buckled up (Hope nobody figures out).
Old 22nd July 2020, 18:02   #81

Seat Belts - Like everyone here, I do require all my passengers to wear their Seatbelts. Rear seat passengers get an excuse inside the city, but if the rubber touches the highway, everyone buckles up. No exceptions.

Don't Block the Mirrors - If you want to bend down for whatever reason, make it quick because I need a clear view of the RVM. And also, your bags go in the boot or rear seat.

No Fidgeting - Your hands should never touch the Handbrake, Gear Lever and the Steering Wheel at any point. Do whatever you want with the AC and Radio controls. Just don't make it too chilly.

No Loud Music - And just because you can play with the radio controls doesn't mean that you should Max out the volume. If I have to raise my voice even a little bit to talk to you, it's too loud. If I can't hear any horns, it's too loud. Is it midnight and no traffic on the road? Then the volume should be lower than normal.

Food and Beverage - Snacks are absolutely fine. French fries, chips, etc. But don't you dare touch anything without washing or wiping your hands clean. Food from a solid container which can be eaten with a spoon and without making a mess. No fried rice and definitely no thaalis. If you cant put a lid on your cup or lost your bottle cap, you can't take it in my car even when stationary. Ice Creams are a strict no. Except when it's raining and I'm on a date.

That's all the serious stuff out of the way. Here are a few more rules / annoyances.

Honor the Shotgun - The one who claimed shotgun on the sight of the car gets to be in the front passenger seat. I don't care if you're 6 feet plus and find the back seat of my Polo cramped.

That Bottle - Yes that Bisleri bottle which has water in it. You don't touch it. I do not know the source and when the bottle came into my car. For your own safety, no matter how parched you are, lay your hands off of it.

No Memes - Sure use your phone and laugh at a few memes. When I'm driving you do not show something on your phone to me. If I'm at a red light and my handbrake is engaged, you may show me them memes. But videos are strictly a no. Send me the link, I'll watch and lol later.

Shut Up - I know I'm not taking the shortest way, but I don't want to scratch the belly of my car taking that shortcut with Himalayan speed breakers and unpaved dirt tracks. And also, don't shut up because I enjoy good conversations. But shut up while I'm parking.

And when it comes to the motorcycle, ONE simple rule:
I don't take pillions.
luthfudeen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 18:41   #82
BHPian

These are my 10 commandments for the co passengers.
1. Be gentle with the doors when you enter and exit. If you slam the doors, be sure you will get an earful.
2. Anyone who sits in the front passenger seat has to buckle up, no matter how short the drive is. For the rear passengers, I insist on seatbelts only on highways.
3. You can't keep anything on the dashboard. Dashboard is not the place for your magazines, newspapers or mobile phones. I don't even have an idol on the dashboard.
4. You can't recline the seat and keep your feet on the dashboard, not even if the car is parked. Please treat the dashboard with respect.
5. No child is allowed in the front seat when the car is moving, even/especially in the lap of an adult. I hate it when kids start pressing the buttons here and there.
6. If there is a child in the car, the rear windows and rear doors will be childlocked. Please bear with me.
7. The music cannot be louder than the voices of the Passengers. I prefer a quiet cabin. Actually on long drives we talk more than playing music.
8. As much as possible, keep all your bags in the boot.
9. Nothing can be kept on the real parcel tray which blocks my IRVM view.
10. Please don't treat the seat back pockets and door pockets as garbage bins.

PS: I also used to have a strict no eating in the car policy, had to give it up once I had children.

PPS. I had to modify rule 5 when my second child was born. When all four of us travel together, now I have to put my elder one in her car seat in the front, buckled up with the passenger airbag deactivated. My wife and the younger one in his baby seat will be in the rear. I know this is not ideal, but I can't think of a better option.
Old 22nd July 2020, 18:43   #83
BHPian

My rules that I keep repeating whenever I have passengers:

1. No eating inside the car (but highly unavoidable when only guys are there in the car).

2. Slamming the doors is a strict no-no.

3. Passengers should remain passengers and should not request to drive the car.

4. No leaning on the doors while sleeping inside the car during long drives. Applies strain on the door lock, not necessarily trying to protect my passenger falling out.

5. Seatbelts is a must during long drives. Till date everyone has followed diligently, with a few requiring a little bit of coaxing.

6. Strictly no smoking inside the car.

7. No leaning on the car during that roadside halt for a chai.

8. Have a few friends that like to push the front seat as far behind as possible and fold their legs and sit. Strict no from me and they get a friendly jab in the guts.

I have many more weird rules like these.
Shanksta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 19:19   #84
BHPian

Adding to the list,

Please release the seat belts softly. Everytime it hits the B-Pillar or the side window pane. It hurts !!
Rubbertramps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 19:31   #85
BHPian

I'm a man of few rules, but when it comes to cars, the list ain't just a few

1. I Drive : It's my car, and I'll be in charge. No test drives or anything. Unless you are an enthusiast and have a good attitude towards cars, and are an experienced driver driven at least 40k kms, you are not driving. Not even for a min. You can control the music though.

2. No legs on the dashboard even with shoes off when the car's standing. I have thrown people out of my car, who have done this. Absolutely hate this.

3. Front seat please unfortunately I still come across people who don't have the courtesy to seat in the front seat when there is only one person accompanying me. I even had 2 people travelling with me, who smartly try to sit in the back seat together. They are made to understand, either the car moves without their presence (usually preferred for such people) or one of them finds their way in the front seat. I even didn't use to allow my father to sit in the rear seat (he does that only in our Alto, which has very uncomfortable front seats. He prefers to seat in the front seat of our other cars though). Now, when he has to sit in the rear seat, he asks for my permission, and I allow him. After all he owns the cars.

4. No food, no drinks: unless it's water that food is staying right inside the packet. I don't categorise food as dry food or wet food. Because even a packet of chips can stain my fabric seats! I do bend the rules, only for long highway trips with my family.

5. All 4 seat belts, always: if there's 5 people travelling, the rear passengers is discounted if they request. But then I drive like an uncle. And if the car's hitting the freeway, all 4 have to wear seatbelts. The fifth is discounted. I have people, who don't wear seatbelts on the front seats! All of them have agreed to my rules. Still, people don't agree to wear seatbelts in the rear at the first go even today. Happy that my family wears them, even in the longest of road trips, for 500-700kms a day!

6. I control the AC Most people don't understand how an auto ac functions even they have split AC at home/ auto ac in their car. They prefer the manual mode. I don't. I think the car does a better job in auto mode. Only when the car's very hot I use manual mode for cooling.

I'm ending it with these many rules. There are also a few unsaid rules like, closing the doors gently, dusting your shoes gently before getting in, your dirty bags in the boot only (yes most people have backpacks too dirty for my liking), etc.
Usually my roommates fight for the front seats. So, I tell them no pulling the handle and fighting. Yes they did that Decide first and then come near the car.
ron82x3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 19:46   #86
Senior - BHPian

Very simple and straightforward ones where I am concerned. Do not think any of these are unreasonable.

1. No eating or drinking in the car. Absolute no no and non negotiable. Hate spillages of any nature in the car. I keep my car, both exterior and interior as pristine and fresh as possible. On a similar vein, no oily or masala hands in the car. Ensure that hands are clean and washed before getting in. Do not want dirty paw marks all over my seats.

2. If with dirty/muddy shoes, try to clean and wipe off the shoes before entering the car, unless it is not possible at that instant.

3. Seat belts to be worn at all times.
Old 22nd July 2020, 19:47   #87
BHPian

Here are some of my rules:
1. When kids enter, they should take the footwear off - they have a tendency to stand on the seat and move around
2. No eating in the car
3. No drinking/smoking in the car
4. Not to carry anything which might spill/smell bad in the car (Boot included)
5. No unasked advice on whether should I overtake that slow moving truck or not. I know my driving.
6. Not to remind me of the speed I'm doing. I can see that on the speedometer.
7. Should not be talking loud on mobile for a long duration.
8. Always A/C on - exceptions : Hilly roads in pleasant conditions, late night drive along the beach
9. No to Non-engaging music.
Old 22nd July 2020, 20:06   #88
BHPian

In my case, democracy ceases once you step inside. Yes, I will try and accommodate but in certain things related to music, driving style - it's literally my way or the highway.

Sounds harsh but it actually works. All other points from earlier posts related to cleanliness, being gentle on the doors are true.

An interesting observation in the current COVID situation is curbside pickup. The staff getting your stuff to the car are quite considerate in fitting it into the boot and being gentle with closing it.
Old 22nd July 2020, 20:17   #89
BHPian

I don't impose many rules as such, and here are the few ones I do tell my co-passengers,

1. The first and foremost thing, that is strict NO for me is don't slam the doors hard, and this applies to the boot too. I've been into a lot of arguments for doing so.

2. You can have snacks in the car, but try not to spill them around the seats and footwell. Also, don't throw them out on the go, have them collected and dispose them off in a bin.

3. Don't open the windows without intimation, chiefly when driving out in highways as it disturbs quite a lot.

4. You can play songs(Even I do listen a lot) but make sure the volume is low so that the honking sounds are audible, especially when driving in city traffic.
Old 22nd July 2020, 20:57   #90
BHPian

I have a set of rules mostly related to cleanliness but it's difficult to impose it sometimes especially when you are travelling with family or close friends. Anyway here are my top ones:

- No eating/drinking (except water) inside even when the car is not moving.

- No getting inside car with muddy or dusty shoes. Try to get the mud/dust off as much as possible before getting in.

- No littering inside car. I have a small storage bin which is placed near center console ahead of the armrest. Every litter must go in there and nowhere else unless its too big for it in which case it needs to be kept in other appropriate place.

- No legs on seats/dashboard or any other place. Footwells are there for a reason.

- No rolling down of windows unless absolutely necessary or the surroundings are very clean like on the empty roads of an hill station. I usually disable the rear power windows and control all 4 power windows myself as required.

- Be gentle with the doors they do not require excessive force. But some people find it very hard to understand this and bang the doors shut as if some zombie is attacking them from the other side. And some of them do not understand how much force is required to close it properly, they close it too lightly which results in door not getting closed and then they open and close it hard again. Back to square one.

- Do not obstruct the rear view by placing huge items on the rear parcel shelf.

- Belt is mandatory for the front passenger, more so because of the continues warning beeps. People do not care about seat-belts especially at the rear seats even after I remind them time and again.

- No one gets to drive my car apart from me. Even my Dad/Bro have rarely driven my car, I had to let them drive on highways in rare occasions mostly because they were getting bored and wanted to drive. I do let one my close friend drive during our road trips only because I trust his driving skills and he is also into cars like myself so he knows how to handle difficult situations. In all other cases my car is driven by me alone all the time even on long journeys.

- No fiddling around with Glove Box, ACC or Music system controls unnecessarily.

- No sitting/standing/leaning hard on car bonnet/door sill/boot area etc.

- Do not ask me to hurry up during cold starts or shutdowns since I let the car idle for a while before and after journeys and I will not skip that in any case.

- If you are navigating for me, then make sure that you are not leading us into narrow lanes. I hate to go into narrow lanes unless there is no other way out. I am happy to go around extra 10kms (or more) if required to avoid narrow lanes. The same applies to broken/muddy roads, if there is an alternate road which is in good condition then I will go for it.

- Lastly, NO SMOKING inside or near the car.

At the end of the day it is me who has to clean and take care of my car so I would prefer it to not get dirty in the first place. I even avoid driving when its raining most of the times. Because I have a OCD for dirt on my car

Last edited by Funny : 22nd July 2020 at 21:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks