Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2020, 11:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Maruti sells over 75,000 units of the S-Presso in 1 year

Classic case of Maruti's sheer brilliance.

We all know the Alto K10 has now been discontinued, and the S-Presso is what is replacing it in Maruti's product line.

If you compare the Alto K10 with the likes of Kwid, the only upper hand the former had was the punchy 1.0L engine and the low-seating that aided handling. In all other department, the Kwid had an upped hand.

The S-Presso on the other hand is lot more practical than the Alto K10 (space, more headroom, better ground clearance) and the most important thing in today's world, a SUVish look!
With the K10 engine, modern features and stellar service support, the S-Presso now appeals as a better overall product!

A similar scenario appeared a decade back when Maruti launched the Ritz which had a not so good looking rear but was again a better product than the closely priced Swift but couldn't enjoy similar results! Better space, more headroom, apparently better build quality and was priced slightly lesser too!
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 15:49   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I guess I am in the minority when I say that I actually like the S-Presso. Ugly, basic ride quality and weird steering tuning, but a beautiful engine + gearbox, spacious cabin & perfect (narrow) width for the city. Believe it or not, I had a lot of fun in Bombay with this car and, if I ever wanted a cheap city commuter, this would be on top of the shortlist.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 15:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
....(except Nexa dealerships who like to pretend they're catering to James Bond level of customers with a product lineup that actually caters to Austin Powers ...
Just can't stop laughing mate

Regarding sales success of the Spresso, like it has been said before, Maruti really have the pulse of the sub 10 lac segments and package their products accordingly; even though that at times results in eyesore designs like this one. How else would one explain the success of this model?
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 16:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I guess I am in the minority when I say that I actually like the S-Presso. Ugly, basic ride quality and weird steering tuning, but a beautiful engine + gearbox, spacious cabin & perfect (narrow) width for the city. Believe it or not, I had a lot of fun in Bombay with this car and, if I ever wanted a cheap city commuter, this would be on top of the shortlist.
You echoed my sentiments on S-Presso. Cars have become uncomfortably wide for city roads. More than Length, the width of a car hampers the city driving pleasure and its general ease of maneuverability.

I feel S-Presso has perfect city car recipie= Narrow + High SUV like GC + Raised Driving Position + AMT convenience + Fuel Efficient engine.

In many ways S-Presso feels like Indian version of the original 1959 Mini minus the good looks ofcourse. Mini that time was a perfect city car, new one too large and expensive for its own good. S-Presso is a perfect 1st learner car too IMO
AMG1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 18:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Keeping aside the safety factor for a moment, it is neither a good looking car nor a faster car. It looks ugly, performance is average or as expected from a 800 cc engine. I still can't understand why it is selling so well. I would suggest Kwid over this vehicle at anytime of the day.
When It was launched, I had similar thoughts.

Sometimes back We started to look for an entry level automatic for wife.

S-Presso being one of the cheapest auto available, automatically came into consideration. We just casually visited showroom to check, I have also suggested my wife to consider used Grand-I10s available in similar price.

Contrary to my expectation, she actually find the car due to relatively decent space and bonnet visibility from driving seat is another advantage.

Even though test drive and final decision is pending, but S-Presso is emerging as strong contender.

About Kwid, It doesn't even came into into consideration, due to lack of manual mode in AMT.

Tiago can be a natural choice due to 4 star rating and also due to trouble free ownership of Zest since last 5 years and almost 50k kms, but AMT starts around 7 lacs so its in completely different (higher) segment.
Vishal.R is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 18:42   #21
BHPian

I've stopped expecting Maruti to produce properly safe cars, due to our market simply not demanding them en masse, but also because someone told me on Instagram that a person was driving a Baleno (that same three-star GNCAP hatchback) sometime in Wayanad, when he got into an accident; his car was hit by a truck at the back, which caused the Baleno to get pushed into another truck's rear. His car was crumbled, but the person survived with zero injuries (I wish I had evidence to back this up, though). I guess most small YouTubers, and other people not-so-enthusiastic about cars have made a mockery out of Maruti because of their recent poor GNCAP shows (I don't deny they have lots of room to improve, still), without providing much substance (pun intended). I have a hunch that most people denigrating Maruti cars as tin cans (excluding BHPians) don't even wear seatbelts while driving.

On that note, I find the S-Presso very interesting as a city car, but which should absolutely not be used for highway cruising (even the Celerio's base LXi variants with the 155-section tyres, for that matter, from what I've experienced, provide a constant sense of unease if driving on the highway). I got to sit in the CNG version displayed at the 2020 Auto Expo, and boy, was I surprised with the room available inside, for such a small car. I adjusted the driver's seat according to my preference, but still was able to sit at the rear. It is impossible to do so in the Alto and Alto K10. Hopefully the S-Presso and other Maruti cars will still be nice to drive. Otherwise, I still view cars with a neutral to slightly negative opinion, solely because of their lackadaisical attitude towards overall automotive safety, as well as technological advancements and hypocritical marketing (the current "Calculate Kiya Kya?" diesel car marketing shenanigan being one notable example).

Last edited by BashfulKlutz : 3rd October 2020 at 18:46.
BashfulKlutz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 18:58   #22
BHPian

Maruti has opened the market for what is now called “micro” SUV, people who want additional ground clearance but dont have budget for Compact SUV.

The only reason anyone goes for this because of “Maruti” service and resale. They might have sold 75k but by Maruti stats thats no big hit. It might have sold more had it been styled better keeping the same USPs.
SideView is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 00:32   #23
BHPian

S Presso drives like a charm in hilly areas too. Have seen people doing spirited drives. In places where roads have potholes or traffic is huge and one wants to take the car off the road and 'overtake' the traffic from the muddy side of the road, I have seen S Presso owners doing just that and with a smile. The car looks funny though doing little 'off roadings'

I too disliked the car untill I saw one in flesh on roads. It looks very practical for masses, specially in areas that are not urban.
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 11:23   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Not only in India, the S-Presso does well in S Africa too.

The 'Made in India' S-Presso becomes Suzuki's largest selling vehicle toppling Swift in Sep-20 sales.

Quote:
Suzuki SA sets personal sales record in September 2020
Quote:
Suzuki’s best-selling product of September was hotly contested between the S-Presso and Swift which sold 538 and 533 units respectively.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 10:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

It's one of the best car for city use. It's really compact but spacious for 4 adults + 1 kid, it has peppy engine, tall seating and Maruti brand to support. Addition to this, it has some funky interiors which may be liked by many. Also its a very good for ladies and elder people as its very easy to use and park in congested cities. Kudos to Maruti !
Old 5th October 2020, 10:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Internet/Instagram trollers aside, the S-Presso is one decent product in the Maruti line-up.

Frugal, refined and punchy (for the city) engine, and a reasonably spacious cabin for its class, the car ticks the requirements of most first time car buyers or those looking for a second car in the household.

Regarding safety, yes its not proven yet. But so is Kwid et al.

Don't view it as a micro "SUV" (which it definitely is not by any stretch of imagination). View it a small practical hatchback and it suddenly starts making a lot of sense.
Old 5th October 2020, 11:31   #27
BHPian

Contrary to some opinions on this thread, if someone needs a beater car around 5L, this is it.

All good qualities of the car(and shortcomings) are already mentioned in the thread - add Marutis cheap spares cost, good availability of spares and wide service network, you can take this anywhere and break it and still not spend too much to fix it.

Many taxis I have seen in the hilly Manali region were Altos, they run around like mountain goats you can rev the nuts out of them and they will still work for many years. The s-presso might very well replace some of them.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 12:31   #28
BHPian

Not surprised by these sales.
As ugly as it looks, I managed to try my hands on my cousin's S-Presso which he bought recently. Space is very good inside and the best part was when I sat on the driving seat. The visibility out forward is really amazing. I believe anybody who simply TDs it once will bring this car to the top of the list.
Old 5th October 2020, 13:07   #29
BHPian

This product is an eye-sore, both in terms of design and the colours they come in!

Sad to know will have to see more of them on road.
Old 5th October 2020, 13:42   #30
BHPian

I really didn’t like the looks of the S presso when I first saw it last year. I still don’t. That is why I’m shocked to see the numbers! But why wouldn’t it sell like hot cakes ? It gives people what they want : cheap to buy,run,maintain,good FE and a fuss free ownership. Guess people don’t care about safety when they’re getting all that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks