Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2020, 18:49   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti sells over 75,000 units of the S-Presso in 1 year

So Maruti has put 75,000 additional lives under risk through the launch of this overgrown Alto 800 and defends stating that they meet legal regulations.

Sad, there objective is mainly to make tin cans on wheels meeting regulations.
groom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 19:06   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenmachinE View Post
Yeah its safe when its parked
Are you sure? If it's parked and someone crashes into it then it's not parked and empty!
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 19:23   #48
BHPian

If we look at the variant that was tested, it is around 1-5% of total sales as is the case generally with the entry variants. That would mean 3750 vehicles with 0 star ratings.
Carma2017 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 19:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Are there any other brand cars, in the same price band, which got stars in the same test?
Old 12th November 2020, 19:38   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Are there any other brand cars, in the same price band, which got stars in the same test?
Unfortunately Eon was never tested I guess. Kwid was Zero, as was Alto. At one level higher, say a Wagon-R or Santro, 2 stars is the norm I guess.

I found that GNCAP included a special comment for Suzuki about how the car would have been worse as per newer GNCAP norms. I guess this statement would apply to other cars as well but have been mentioned only for Suzuki S Presso. I guess there is no love lost between these two agencies as Suzuki studiously ignores GNCAP and GNCAP keeps needling Suzuki to act more on safety in India!!
Carma2017 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 20:08   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Unfortunately Eon was never tested I guess.
It was:

Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 21:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
So Maruti has put 75,000 additional lives under risk through the launch of this overgrown Alto 800 and defends stating that they meet legal regulations.

Sad, there objective is mainly to make tin cans on wheels meeting regulations.
Sir denying very humbly here. Most of the 75000 would have been 2 wheeler to 4 wheeler upgrade community so effectively an upgrade in terms of safety and most crashes depends on a lot of crash dynamics, so we can’t blame the manufacturer completely here. We are in the region where people drive without lights, do not follow speed limits, do not wear seat belt, drive on the wrong side, and no regulations have been enforced for the fundamental safety items. So let us blame the manufacturer for only 30%, Ourself for 30%, Govt for 30% and 10% for Others.

Again no manufacturer is forcing us to buy their cars. We could always pay more and get better cars(may be there will be very less options).

Regret to say a whole lot of people are queuing up to buy cars with a known brake problem (not fixed for years) and manufacturer is happy to price them as premium.

Last edited by Ananthang : 12th November 2020 at 21:42. Reason: Grammer
Ananthang is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 21:58   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Maruti, Absolute Legends! I understand a 2 decade old 800 failing, but this was launched last year. ZERO STARS for safety!
I used to recommend this vehicle to people who were looking for a low budget car, not anymore after seeing this 0 star rating!

I'll only recommend the Tata Tiago from now on. I hope Tata Hornbill / HBX will be priced sensibly, at least in Ignis price range, so people can buy a safe car with a little extended budget. I'm very disappointed and angry with Maruti Suzuki for it's don't care attitude about the safety of their Indian customers.
WhiteSierra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 09:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

In a country that allows Quadricycles to be sold as personal vehicles, these will continue to sell. Thousands of people travel by autorickshaws every day. What safety do they provide? Majority of the population uses two wheelers as family transport. What about them?

They are safer than two wheelers. At least the occupants will not fall on the road. They provide protection from the elements and a modicum of comfort. That is a major upgrade for those who were using two wheelers all along. I was under no more illusions about safety when I bought the Alto.

When more than one manufacturer sells similar cars, why single out and laugh at Maruti alone?
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 16:24   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Unfortunately Eon was never tested I guess. Kwid was Zero, as was Alto. At one level higher, say a Wagon-R or Santro, 2 stars is the norm I guess.

I found that GNCAP included a special comment for Suzuki about how the car would have been worse as per newer GNCAP norms. I guess this statement would apply to other cars as well but have been mentioned only for Suzuki S Presso. I guess there is no love lost between these two agencies as Suzuki studiously ignores GNCAP and GNCAP keeps needling Suzuki to act more on safety in India!!
Kwid I remember was 1 star. Media reported only the first test when it was zero. Later it was tested at 1 star GNCAP ratings.

Frankly GNCAP is very kind on Suzuki. Suzuki crashed often with zero star from day 1 and never got bashed like say Honda or Renault.
Trapezio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 17:28   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Sir denying very humbly here. Most of the 75000 would have been 2 wheeler to 4 wheeler upgrade community so effectively an upgrade in terms of safety and most crashes depends on a lot of crash dynamics, so we can’t blame the manufacturer completely here. We are in the region where people drive without lights, do not follow speed limits, do not wear seat belt, drive on the wrong side, and no regulations have been enforced for the fundamental safety items. So let us blame the manufacturer for only 30%, Ourself for 30%, Govt for 30% and 10% for Others.

Again no manufacturer is forcing us to buy their cars. We could always pay more and get better cars(may be there will be very less options).

Regret to say a whole lot of people are queuing up to buy cars with a known brake problem (not fixed for years) and manufacturer is happy to price them as premium.

This, sir, is what I was looking for when I began reading the comments on this thread. There is no point in making 'people movers' if they are safe but not affordable. Most fail to see the point that you have made. Although it's shameful that people or the manufacturer or the govt ignore safety of lives and focus just on transport but that's the harsh truth. We live in a country where there is insignificant regard for human life. See the per day toll of lives lost in the country due to various reasons like road accidents, some disease or a crime etc etc and one would understand that. Nobody even talks about such data or the causes or the remedy. People also have to go about risking their lives to earn their bread and butter, so they buy cars that move them in the cheapest possible manner. Why is it considered wrong to aspire for an SUV in an S Presso, one got just one life to live and if people can own a pseudo SUV in an S Presso and be happy about it then nothing comes close to it. Talking superficially about safe cars without actually taking into account human sentiments, affordability, standard of living in the country, per capita income among other factors then we are not being honest with the assessment of the problem.

I bet cars in China are much worse in terms of safety than cars in our country. But each to his own, ain't it?
Fuldagap is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 17:43   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
In a country that allows Quadricycles to be sold as personal vehicles, these will continue to sell. Thousands of people travel by autorickshaws every day. What safety do they provide? Majority of the population uses two wheelers as family transport. What about them?

They are safer than two wheelers. At least the occupants will not fall on the road. They provide protection from the elements and a modicum of comfort. That is a major upgrade for those who were using two wheelers all along. I was under no more illusions about safety when I bought the Alto.

When more than one manufacturer sells similar cars, why single out and laugh at Maruti alone?
This logic is the reason why Maruti still sells. Till we don't start demanding better safety standards for ALL our vehicles this kind of mentality is just going to give the manufacturers a free pass.

Weren't airbags deemed unnecessary a couple of years ago because people upgrading from bikes were apparently "safer" ?

Maruti is targeted more because its the market leader and everyone wants them to lead by example. So they are the default target. The others don't get a pass.
Bluengel180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 18:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
This logic is the reason why Maruti still sells. Till we don't start demanding better safety standards for ALL our vehicles this kind of mentality is just going to give the manufacturers a free pass.

Weren't airbags deemed unnecessary a couple of years ago because people upgrading from bikes were apparently "safer" ?

Maruti is targeted more because its the market leader and everyone wants them to lead by example. So they are the default target. The others don't get a pass.
The way people can demand is through the govt. That is not working. Price at the huge volumes should not be that great.
Old 13th November 2020, 18:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
But they will have a big problem if government comes up with tougher safety requirements and will probably lobby against any such move. Along with business why a company with 50% market share can't do something which is for public good. Instead of justifying zero GNCAP rated car, why they don't take it as a challenge?
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 19:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Internet/Instagram trollers aside, the S-Presso is one decent product in the Maruti line-up.

Frugal, refined and punchy (for the city) engine, and a reasonably spacious cabin for its class, the car ticks the requirements of most first time car buyers or those looking for a second car in the household.

Regarding safety, yes its not proven yet. But so is Kwid et al.

Don't view it as a micro "SUV" (which it definitely is not by any stretch of imagination). View it a small practical hatchback and it suddenly starts making a lot of sense.
I take back my own words.

Maruti has let us down big time. With a new platform and modern design, i had sincerely hoped that the Spresso would score a healthy rating. But i was wrong, and how!

I myself was contemplating Spresso as the second car in the household. No way now. Would rather go for the Ignis which is 3 stars and one of the better built Marutis (apart from Brezza).

Last edited by DCEite : 13th November 2020 at 19:18.
DCEite is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks