Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 13:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti sells over 75,000 units of the S-Presso in 1 year

I feel that the interiors are actually pretty good. The front and rear look alright but the side looks really bad with that raised height and the gap between the wheels and the arches make it look funny. For some reason, I can't figure out why (maybe the front grill) I always felt like it's a Mahindra vehicle and belongs more in their stable than in MS.

I personally would choose the Kwid over this but if I didn't have easy access to a Renault service center, I would choose the S-Presso. That's probably why you don't see many of these in the city (atleast in BLR) which goes to show that most of the sales have taken place in smaller cities or towns where MS service centers are omnipresent.

I personally feel that all the cars below the 6 lakhs range have major safety issues and you can't really throw one brand under the bus. They're probably just trying to keep the costs down and the numbers up.
Old 5th October 2020, 15:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

We bought the S Presso last year for my dad and I personally feel its the best decision ever taken. I have been driving this car for the most part now due to covid-19 restrictions and can tell you that there is a certain amount of thrill and fun associated this car which is difficult to explain. Its small foot-print but taller stance gives a better view of the road especially in city lanes. You can zip-zap through traffic with ease. Plus, the way power is transferred makes you throttle the car hard every time. Sure the steering is dead and it rocks and shakes like a boat, but you can easily forgive her for that once you know how practical it is. The boot space and rear seat space is amazing. We have moved my office table and chair in that car and just yesterday got a washing machine in it.
Old 5th October 2020, 15:47   #33
BHPian

It's a silly looking car, but I guess its functional like others have mentioned. Its narrow, spacious, zippy, should be cheap to use, as long as its city commute it's a decent option.

Anything that looks like a SUV will sell, doesnt matter what is inside it. Not everyone dissects cars like people on this and other forums. A friend bought a Kwid long ago and his dad who has never driven a car before and lives in small town proclaimed that it's an SUV and it's almost 75% of what the Duster is. So..

This quirky lil car with its catchy colors can be seen everywhere. I even got bullied by one, last weekend, a super aggressive driver dad overtaking me, while his tiny kids were glaring and staring as they overtook my humble Punto in their road monster
anand.shankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 18:17   #34
BHPian

They served it hot and set the sales charts on fire!

Trust Maruti to covert the faith a first time buyer imposes on them to numbers.

The same offering under a VW or Honda badge would probably be lauded for the chic design, but Maruti usually also has a perception battle to deal with.
Old 6th October 2020, 02:07   #35
BHPian

I might be among the minority here, but I feel the Ignis is a better pick over the S-Presso.
Let me try to explain:

Ignis Sigma 5.45L vs S-Presso Vxi+ 5.07L
(all prices OTR Delhi & difference is only about 40k )

1. Sweet 1.2 pot vs 1.0 engine.

2. Way better build quality on the Ignis. Also feels much more reassuring & safer while on the move.

3. Overall Ignis is a car from a higher segment & it feels that way. Simply feels better engineered.

Yes one would have to pay extra to get the touch screen etc. but that can always be added to the Ignis later. Also keep in mind the GNcap has rated the Ignis 3 stars. (Not sure if the Indian spec is the same as tested) still the Ignis feels better built & safer than most other Maruti hatches.

I wouldn't touch the S-Presso. No offence to owners.
John316_WRC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 14:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
The only reason MS gets away with their subpar product lineup is down to the fact that despite moving multiple times the products of their rivals per month, they somehow manage to treat their walk in customers very well. You could show up to their dealership in an old pair of clothes and they'll treat
True that. I have walked to Maruti dealerships in slippers and shabby tshirts casually on weekends and was treated royally and even test drove a Brezza. I generally accompany my kith and kin in all car buying processes and there has never been one Maruti store where we had to wait for someone to attend us. They will treat a potential Alto customer with the same zeal as a Ciaz customer. Same goes for the service experience.

TATA and M&M maybe making better and safer cars ,however there is a long way to go for them in terms of customer handling. I had to wait for 30 minutes and finally raise my voice to just get a Tiago brochure for one of my friend. The next thing we did was crossed the road and booked a Ignis. I understand that buying experience should not be the lone deciding factor in buying a car but that gives us an idea on what is to follow in the service experience and if something goes wrong with the car.
saion666 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 19:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

I think people are not doing right comparison. It's a better option for cars like Alto and Kwid at some extra cost. It looks really funky on road than in photos, interiors are good considering it's segment and design is youthful. Car is peppy and perfect for city use. Maruti must be happy and making some good money with this car.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 10:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I think people are not doing right comparison. It's a better option for cars like Alto and Kwid at some extra cost.
True, this is a better choice than an Alto/Kwid.
The only reason I compared it to the Ignis is because one can get a better build(safer?), better engineered, higher segment car with the excellent 1.2 motor. All this for only Rs.40,000 more.
John316_WRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 17:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Maruti, Absolute Legends! I understand a 2 decade old 800 failing, but this was launched last year. ZERO STARS for safety!

shortbread is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 17:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
but this was launched last year. ZERO STARS for safety!
This is my exact concern. This is the one with Driver airbag and seat belt Reminder. Tata Tiago is probably around 5.5L OTR.

IMHO, I would: Drive 50km one way to the service station, get un-noticed at the service station, get attended late, pay higher service bill and not get an air purifier rather than buy/recommend a 0/1 star car.
shashi792 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 13:17   #41
BHPian

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...101986863.html

Yeah its safe when its parked
GreenmachinE is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi792 View Post
IMHO, I would: Drive 50km one way to the service station, get un-noticed at the service station, get attended late, pay higher service bill and not get an air purifier rather than buy/recommend a 0/1 star car.
I absolutely agree. How on earth is it doing so well? Safety often takes a back seat when car purchase happens. I fail to understand the logic. Yes, the cost factor plays a role and we are always stretching our budgets when we buy and so we settle for the mid or base variants which often miss out on safety features. This is my main concerns. Why can't manufacturers provide standard safety features across the variants and differentiate with other gadgets like touchscreens, sunroofs etc?
But in this particular case, just airbags would not have done much. That is a major concern. Wish our market demand reflects an India that is not willing to compromise on safety.
Old 12th November 2020, 15:25   #43
BHPian

I think bashing Maruti won't help on the forum. Their CEO came out and said safety is not important in India. Even if we paste a 0 star NCAP badge on the car the sales won't be affected.
The fact is that Maruti offers something others don't. Service etc is okay across the top 5 brands. But they offer trust. You can rest assured that the spresso will continue at least for 5 more years. You know that most parts are shared across the lineage. Spares won't be an issue. Tata deprioritized the Bolt, Zest, Manza, Hexa etc in the last 4 to 5 years. People who invested 10+ lakhs on an automatic Zest or 7+ on a Bolt diesel won't buy a Tata again because though the products and service are good, the cars can get discontinued any time and one can't trust them. We all know how tough it is to sell a discontinued car in India.

The competitors offer something better, but the trust factor is not established. It is not about service alone. How to establish that trust is for marketeers of the Indian giants to decide. They don't seem to be doing a good job at it so far.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 12th November 2020 at 15:42.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 15:47   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
...... You can rest assured that the spresso will continue at least for 5 more years. You know that most parts are shared across the lineage. Spares won't be an issue. Tata deprioritized the Bolt, Zest, Manza, Hexa etc in the last 4 to 5 years. People who invested 10+ lakhs on an automatic Zest or 7+ on a Bolt diesel won't buy a Tata again because though the products and service are good, the cars can get discontinued any time and one can't trust them. We all know how tough it is to sell a discontinued car in India.
Your statement made me laugh.
Pray tell us what happened to Diesels from *Trusted* Maruti post BS-VI transition? Not to mention the ridiculous "Calculate kiya kya?" ads!
Much before BS-VI deadline, Ignis lost its Diesel variant almost silently.
Tata moved on to better platforms (from X1 to Alfa, Omega) and BS-VI compliant engines just like everyone else did.
Also the cars you refer (Zest, Bolt diesel) have the same Fiat 1.3MJD as Maruti, so spare parts won't be an issue in the near future.

P.S: I myself own a car discontinued by Tata. So far no issues procuring spares.

Last edited by srvm : 12th November 2020 at 15:58.
srvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 15:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
I even got bullied by one, last weekend, a super aggressive driver dad overtaking me, while his tiny kids were glaring and staring as they overtook my humble Punto in their road monster
That was really funny !

True but matter of fact is people get a "SUV" That is all that matters! Along with brand value and peace of mind.

The only value I see in the S-Presso is if you live within the urban confines. No parking worries, Tall stance and compact dimensions. And Maruti has rightly identified that gap in the market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks