Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Hyundai Creta today?
Yes 161 41.60%
No 226 58.40%
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 12:49   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Voted NO!

After experiencing Hyundai ownership myself, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want a used, expensive Hyundai which is nearing the end of it's warranty period. I may consider the new Creta / Seltos TGDi or CRDi AT - but quite a different story when picking from the used market.

As per member reports on the forum (have compiled it here) - Creta is quite an all-rounder in terms of niggles as well - just as it is perceived to be an all-rounder in terms of the product qualities. The service costs aren't generally cheap either, and the dealerships have a knack of passing the blame on you for their issues and making the owner feel gullible for it.

I'd be very weary of picking one from the used market, especially when the car had multiple major complaints reported from even Team Bhp members (who would have surely cared for cars more than the general public) , like - brake failures, ABS sensor failures, premature clutch wear, premature a/c compressor failures, self-peeling paint etc.

Personal opinion from my Hyundai ownership - These are feature loaded, but delicate cars. Buy them new, take maximum warranty and enjoy while taking proper care of the cars.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th October 2020 at 12:51.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 13:36   #17
BHPian

Voted 'No'.

There were a handful Hyundai owners around me, but the unexpected rise in cost of ownership beyond the 5-7 year mark was a surprise for many who chose Hyundai as an alternative to Maruti then. A cousin, who solely relied on Hyundai service centres, has faced issues with getting rear brake pads for his 1st gen i20 and tells me that the price of the part kept rising significantly over years. Even my personal experience with Hyundai/Kia dealers for potential purchase and other issues has been very unpleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
As per member reports on the forum (have compiled it here) - Creta is quite an all-rounder in terms of niggles as well - just as it is perceived to be an all-rounder in terms of the product qualities. The service costs aren't generally cheap either, and the dealerships have a knack of passing the blame on you for their issues and making the owner feel gullible for it.
Accurately summed up. In fact, thanks to your thread, I have ruled Hyundai/Kia out of my radar for the foreseeable future, no matter what the vehicle is. They have still a long way to go to compete with Japanese cars in terms of quality, reliability and support.

Last edited by Researcher : 5th October 2020 at 14:01.
Researcher is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 14:28   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted YES

Owning one let me list out the strong positives;
1.) Perfect size as a city roundabout.
2.) More spacious than the CSUVS.
3.) Smooth and refined engines.
4.) Big enough boot.
5.) Feature loaded even by 2020 standards.
6.) Looks smart and competent even after 5 years.
7.) Choice of manual and automatic transmissions on both engine options.
8.) Massive mod availability be it any local accessory shop right till amazon flipkart.
9.) Rounds of potholes really well, has a nice level of cushiness up till certain speeds

Some weaknesses;

1.) Thirsty petrol engine.
2.) Softly sprung so unwanted pitching and bouncing at higher speeds.
3.) Brake failure reported by many (praying to god I do not face it during my ownership).
4.) Service stations try looting every moolah $$ from you, have to be very cautious. My fortuner can be serviced at half the cost of what Hyundai charges!
5.) Important missed features like speed sensing door locks, avg-fuel efficiency readout, range left on the remaining fuel. Came later with the facelift in 2018.

Here is mine 3 years ago at the time of delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img0459-2_li.jpg  

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 5th October 2020 at 14:36.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 15:34   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No

Creta did match all that I wanted. It's got a superb diesel engine (I still agree with it), much better driving dynamics compared to previous cars from Hyundai, features (yes, it did miss a few), mileage etc.

It's the after sales support that really let me down (of course, the brake failure as well and the subsequent experience after that). They only call for service and insurance renewals. Also, I have felt that the service advisors are not well informed of the product (not technically sound). For every issue that I mention, they just give some lame replies - to quote an example:

1) Asked the reason for the brake failure. Simply said ABS sensor failed. No logical explanation.
2) Brand new V belt snapped. Their reason - faulty vendor.
3) Asked about the rust problem on the doors. Their solution - shall claim insurance and get both doors changed .
4) Asked whether android auto can be added or if there can be any alternate solution. They blindly answered no and asked me to purchase a new headunit for around 45k.
and many more

On asking for an explanation or the reason, they simply ask you to replace the item. Ford was pretty good here. They atleast gave some reason for any issues.

Anyhow, am pretty happy with the car so holding on to it. Sorry for the rant! Just an ownership cry after driving it for more than 5 years.
naveen.raju is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 15:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

There's a scrapyard near my house. He picked up 28 brand new un-registered BS4 pieces of the Old Creta. All top model. About 12 of them were LHD. Don't know where he got them from or what he's planning to do with them.
pedrolourenco is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 16:16   #21
BHPian

Voted no. At this price, I would go for a Nissan Terrano or a Duster. If I search properly, I might be able to bag a older but decent fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Voted a strong yes .
Strength of the vote does not get captured. We should try a likert scale (Give cash take car yes, Yes, don't matter, no, "I will shoot you for this question" no)

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 5th October 2020 at 16:38.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 17:09   #22
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
There's a scrapyard near my house. He picked up 28 brand new un-registered BS4 pieces of the Old Creta. All top model. About 12 of them were LHD. Don't know where he got them from or what he's planning to do with them.
These were LHD vehicles, brand new and the company dumped 28 of them at a scrap yard ? There's definitely something illegal about these cars and it's not the BS 4 engine.
Old 5th October 2020, 17:31   #23
BHPian

Is it a coincidence that this question was posted on the same day that prices of the new Creta were hiked?
Old 5th October 2020, 17:39   #24
BHPian

I have a question to all the folks here: As I read across this thread and other Creta threads, Braking issue seems to be the No.1 concern in 1st gen model. Yes, this will be an important factor while choosing a used Creta. But, how are the current 1st gen owners dealing with this ? There are 5 lakh Cretas on road and how is this being problem addressed currently. I'm hoping the same solution be applied for used Creta as well.
Old 5th October 2020, 18:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
These were LHD vehicles, brand new and the company dumped 28 of them at a scrap yard ? There's definitely something illegal about these cars and it's not the BS 4 engine.
I can't say there is something illegal without knowing facts. BS4 RHD vehicles cannot be registered in India. LHD vehicles anyway cannot be registered. They cannot be exported because the new model is introduced. Their only option is to scrap them.
Old 5th October 2020, 18:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Voted No. Contrary to it's popularity, I never liked it's styling. While the ride is pliant, it falters in the handling department in a big way. Hyundai never cracked the code of ride and handling in most of their cars(the new gen Creta may be a step in the right direction). The steering doesn't give you any confidence at speeds nor much feedback either. I always believed a car that handles well is a notch safer. The ultimate safety cover is in the hands of the driver when a car gives such level of confidence to the one who's at the wheels. Having a 17 year old Santro still in my garage, I know their service costs are anything to write home about. Besides the plethora of issues, some very serious like brake failure, and niggles reported by many owners here in this forum itself, it's a risky proposition to lay one's hands on a pre worshipped copy.

No doubt it was a success because Hyundai managed to hit the sweet spot in terms of total package.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 5th October 2020 at 18:33.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 18:45   #27
BHPian

Voted a very strong NO !!!

My earliest experience with a Hyundai was a Santro Zing self-drive Hertz car in which my buddies and I tripped from Bangalore, to Mysore and Coorg, while often maintaining triple-digit speeds. We were young and carefree, and the car performed flawlessly. That was 2007.

I have had great experiences later in the Hyundai Accent CRDI, and the pre-fluidic Verna Diesel with a Variable Geometry Turbo. Even fell in love with a Myles self-drive Creta on a Bangalore - Mangalore trip. Soon afterwards I had decided that the very delicious looking Creta 2018 model would be my next car, before the ugly 2020 model gets launched. But when the serious brake failure issue (see https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ll-owners.html (Hyundai Creta: Serious brake failure issue (must-read for all owners))) came out in late 2019, that changed my whole perspective.

I am not looking at a Hyundai anytime soon. Such quality lapses and subsequent indifference can't be forgiven from a highly-regarded manufacturer like Hyundai. For me, it hints at a general corporate principle change somewhere deep inside Hyundai. So, no more Hyundai, new or used, until maybe a decade passes by without such issues.
Miel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 18:48   #28
BHPian

Voted No. Hyundais aren't particularly cheap to maintain. My i10's steering rack gave away (a known problem in early i10s) and Hyundai quoted an incredible 21K for a new one. To put it in perspective VW quoted 11K for the Vento! have had similar experience with other parts. And the poor build means parts are easy to ding / break. A limited impact on the front of my i10, when a friend was driving it in bumper to bumper traffic, with no visible scars to the bumper or the bonnet cracked the water tank for windshield washers! And Hyundai quoted 1600 for the replacement! Eventually got the steering rack for 5600 (Sona) and water tank for 550 at an FNG.

That takes away the only advantage that Hyundai has over other car makers. Their engines are exciting but the driving dynamics render them useless. I don't care much for features, and prefer a mechanically sound car first. And Creta is such a nothingness of a car. Not an SUV. Not a mile muncher (sedans always). Not an exciting car to drive. Not particularly spacious and a family car. It's too middle of the road. And expensive. And has its share of niggles (brakes, have known a couple with suspension issues also).
Annibaddh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 19:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthusiast View Post
I have a question to all the folks here: As I read across this thread and other Creta threads, Braking issue seems to be the No.1 concern in 1st gen model. Yes, this will be an important factor while choosing a used Creta. But, how are the current 1st gen owners dealing with this ? There are 5 lakh Cretas on road and how is this being problem addressed currently. I'm hoping the same solution be applied for used Creta as well.

I own a 1.6 Diesel Creta, bought this in 2018, just before the facelift. Have clocked about 20k, seems less for a diesel, but surely thats to do with the current situation.
I have made a few long drives, about 3000kms of my 20k is long drives and I have not really faced the infamous braking or ABS issue as of now.

My previous car was a Rapid and it had real sharp braking, so you could really brake late. With the Creta I know that its not as sharp, so you sort of adjust your driving style and braking pattern accordingly.

With regard to maintenance, I dont know why Hyundai cars are perceived as expensive, I have 2 now, bought a Elite i20 for my wife in 2018 as well and we have not had any hefty bills or something like that so far.

Secondly, issues like clutch plate replacement have almost become a norm in heavy bumper to bumper traffic cities like Bangalore. I mean if you drive 2-3 hours a day with the clutch pressed all the time, its got to give up! I faced this issue in my Rapid and in the Creta too. Got it under warranty with Hyundai though, after a bit of negotiation at the show room.

Lastly, if people say no to a well maintained Creta, as an used car option, what are we going to say yes to? I seem to remember more yays in the Rapid thread than here! Unfortunately ownership is anything but peaceful there. In the Rapid I have had Turbo failure, EGR replacement, steering rack replacement and what not! Not saying that the Creta is better than the Rapid or things like that, but personally I find it easier to live with the Creta although I thoroughly loved the Rapid every bit.

Last edited by motorworks : 5th October 2020 at 19:06.
motorworks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 20:06   #30
BHPian

Voted No.

I own a Hyundai Creta and I will not go for it again and most probably any more Hyundai cars because of the attitude of dealerships and ASS.

The car is a gem and I love it to bits but the missing features which are available in cars a segment below and cosying about 3/4th the price of the same manufacturer is shocking. The indifference of the service people is another story to tell. All sweet talk and no action. Try mailing to their customer care and they will again give you the smooth corporate talk email but won't work on the issue. I have multiple issues pending from the repairs done and I'm fed up telling it to the ASS again and again just to be ignored. The mail to HMIL have also gone unanswered.

Stuff like these makes you want to move to Maruti or Toyota but is avoiding them one because of the tinny feeling and other because of the cost.

Rant over.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks