Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Hyundai Creta today?
Yes 161 41.60%
No 226 58.40%
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 21:04   #31
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I can't say there is something illegal without knowing facts. BS4 RHD vehicles cannot be registered in India. LHD vehicles anyway cannot be registered. They cannot be exported because the new model is introduced. Their only option is to scrap them.
Dealer will probably stripped them down and will sell/supply the spare parts to FNGs. I don't see any other use of these cars as BS4 and LHD cars can not be registered. Scrap yard dealer must have bought them at a factory auction with the only motive to sell spares.
sankdeshmukh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 21:25   #32
BHPian

Voted No.
The reson behind me not opting to get a used Creta is just because the cars are listed at a very high price in the used car market atleast here in Karnataka at around 10-11lac for a car that has done less than 50K. Adding a lac more will get me a new Diesel Ecosport Titanium variant.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 21:38   #33
BHPian

Voted No. I have owned two Hyundai cars and the overall service as well as general maintenance is way too expensive. I also don't like the Old generation Creta as it didn't have a lot of features and the petrol engine was below average.
Sreesh1009 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 23:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Wow, this poll has me surprised. Any reason why some BHPians are not moving to the FNG? My friend moved to an FNG with his 2011 Verna 1,6P after the warranty and he's had a great experience.

Voted yes - I would buy a well maintained low mileage 1,6 P - MT or AT. I wouldn't touch a diesel because:
1. High ODO reading
2. Limited life due to changing rules (after I buy it)
3. Diesels are mostly abused by many owners
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 08:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Wow, this poll has me surprised. Any reason why some BHPians are not moving to the FNG? My friend moved to an FNG with his 2011 Verna 1,6P after the warranty and he's had a great experience.
+1. Even with my 2015 Verna 1.6D, once the free services were over, I moved to my FNG. It has been a great experience. Service costs have been cheaper than my dad’s alto that goes to MASS.

On the other hand, Hyundai Service has been known to fleece its customers. Voted YES! It’s a brilliant all-rounder and you can’t go wrong with it. But I would take the car to an FNG.
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 08:12   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthusiast View Post
I have a question to all the folks here: As I read across this thread and other Creta threads, Braking issue seems to be the No.1 concern in 1st gen model. Yes, this will be an important factor while choosing a used Creta. But, how are the current 1st gen owners dealing with this ? There are 5 lakh Cretas on road and how is this being problem addressed currently. I'm hoping the same solution be applied for used Creta as well.
I have come across around 10-12 cars with this problem, so that's 4,99,988 unsuspecting customers on road unless they follow TeamBHP.

Most of the customers do not know of this issue. Hyundai/HASS do not warn or help these customers out. Like I pointed out on the other thread, Hyundai should have recalled the first gen Creta and replaced the ABS sensor. Atleast inform the customers, so that such incidents do not happen. Had it been US, they would have been sued by now (GTO had pointed this out) and I would have made millions

Not going OT. All details here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ll-owners.html (Hyundai Creta: Serious brake failure issue (must-read for all owners))

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 14:50   #37
BHPian

Voted No
It's a great car with loads of features, makes it a practical choice. However it does come in as a bland car with not much appeal (no offence to owners), it's neither a car nor a SUV, overpriced for it's size/segment, expensive service costs and not to mention the brake issues. We were looking for a compact SUV AT for my cousin few years back and TD'd the Creta Petrol AT, it had that rubber band effect, lackluster drive feel and was cramped for space, cousin has two kids and need for space was a priority coming from a Wagon R. We then settled for a XUV500 AT, much better in terms of space, diesel AT had a comparatively engaging driving experience, decent cruiser on highway as well and seemed better value for money.
Shanky_1002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 15:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

As a prospective 2nd gen Creta petrol 1.5 NA buyer I am a bit surprised at the comments highlighting higher cost of maintenance for the first gen. I am guessing this is specific to the diesel variant with heavy usage? My rough estimate has me spending between 5 to 7k per year until 5 years or 50k kms(with 5 year wonder warranty). How far off the mark am I ?
Old 6th October 2020, 23:48   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted NO.

It's a nice car, but the high resale is a silent killer - pre-owned variants aren't VFM if you look for a face-lifted model. Just a little more and the Jeep Compass, CRV, etc. become viable options; not to mention entry level D segment sedans.
lamborghini is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:29   #40
BHPian

Voted No, High residual value for 2nd hand car is not much favourable for people with low running or as primary car with high running. I would rather buy a low residual value car and sell it off in peanuts after -driving few thousand kms and few years. I have been hunting for a used Creta for a friend who only wants to buy Creta and nothing else,(Talk about fan following). I was amazed at the prices being quoted. He is still struggling to find a decent example for 6L budget while I got myself a 45k run Tjet emotion as second vehicle in almost one third the price. I strongly believe that all cars with tech and gadets will be pocket pinchers in few years. Buying base model with less bells and whistles makes more sense but then there might not be too much difference in 2nd hand market in low-mid-high varients, tempting buyers to go for higher varients. Imagine a crash in 6 airbag car with no zero dep. I prefer to sell my main highway drive by end of 5 years due to lack of zero dep.insurance availability after that.
drsnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

NO!! After owning 2 Hyundai cars over a period of 10 years, I have realised they dont age well. The engine can probably do 1,50,000kms but you will have something or the other failing which will make the whole ownership pointless.

Also, I have noticed, every Hyundai car has a persistent unique issue and the company does nothing about it. For example: steering related issues in the i20. The EPS module in my i20 has failed thrice in the last 3 year and its not cheap to fix it either (around 11k each time). In the initial stages of the i20 (circa 2011) it had the steering rattling issue. Hyundai is not really a "customer listener". Similarly, other models also have some issue or the other - I just read about the brake failure issue of the Creta posted by a fellow bhpian.

So, in short, I will stay away from used Hyundai cars!

P.S: The only 2 cars I have are both Hyundai-s. (1) 2011 i20 Asta and (2) 2019 Santro Magna.

Last edited by Pancham : 7th October 2020 at 11:55.
Pancham is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 15:35   #42
BHPian

Voted NO just for the hyped and unreasonable prices they are sold for.

Considering the high quoted prices in the second hand market you might end up pay the price of a new sub 4m SUV/crossover instead of a used Creta.
tanaysn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 16:04   #43
BHPian

Voted Yes at first but now after reading most of the comments and going through the OLX for few minutes, I wish to change my poll opinion to NO.

Quite happy to see that most of the Hyundai owners commented sincerely against owning one of this. Kudos to BHPians!

Service centers are available in decent numbers, yes. But still the cost of service is more than the expected average for the Hyundais it seems.

Last edited by kamilharis : 7th October 2020 at 16:05.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 16:19   #44
BHPian

Voted No.

It was a nice car when it was launched. While the exterior looks good even now, the interior is horribly outdated. Even the i20 has better interiors. Plus it costs way too much in the used market. It only makes sense to buy cars that have low prices in the used market.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 16:34   #45
BHPian

Voted "Yes".
At a decent enough 6 figure sum and mis 5 digit miles on the odometer, this would be really good steal.
The car has a great fan following and a well kept/maintained car, would be ideal for a great second car for running around in the city and the infrequent highway sojourns.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks