Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2020, 22:49   #16
BHPian

re: What are the most rarely used features in your car?

My reply is based on 2012 i10 Asta Automatic and the 2020 Creta SXO IVT.

Air purifier in 2020 Creta: It's always on Auto and so it comes on on its own every time I start the car. I never thought of putting it off for any reason.

AC on Auto: The i10 didn't have it. The 2020 Creta does, but I'm never happy with the blower speed on Auto.

Sunroof: Both these cars have it. Though we never open the sunroof itself, we keep open the fabric cover of the sunroof whenever it's not too hot.

Bluelink in 2020 Creta: I've used the POI search and send to car feature a couple of times. The monthly vehicle health report gives a nice overview of car usage over the month. The valet alert is also a nifty little feature.

Rear seat belts: I always insist on rear-seat passengers using them on the highway.

Steering adjustment: Did it once upon purchase on both cars and never again. Same for headlight level adjustment and seat belt height adjustment.

Front fog lamps: Never used.

Cupholders: Can only be used with the car stopped on our roads.
AK79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 22:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

The one thing I’ve never used is the Coat hanger hook provided at the top of the rear seat windows.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 23:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

The most rarely used feature in my tiago is Insta FE. I really don't know how it is useful. Why would anyone keep tracking Insta FE instead of concentrating on driving.
tushky is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 23:10   #19
BHPian

I have had my second car for 5 years now and I haven't used the rear seat belt and cigarette lighter even once. Beat that!
Shashankjk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 23:12   #20
BHPian

Cruise control: even while driving in US, I never felt comfortable not being in control. In India, forget it! Another useless feature is AM radio, not sure if it is still present in new cars. Even engine temperature gauge seems pretty useless. I have never made use of it in my 22 years of driving.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st December 2020 at 06:49. Reason: Removing Hindi bits.
CosmicWizard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 23:20   #21
BHPian

The thing that has never been used in my car, which admittedly should have been used,is rear seat belt. Also, other things not used include strap given on the driver side sun visor for toll receipts is never used with the fastag in place. Aux port, mirror on the sun visor.
I couldn’t think of anymore features that are not used, I always thought that there are many features that I don’t use often, now that I think, I believe I use them frequently. Thanks for the thread.
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 23:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK79 View Post

Steering adjustment: Did it once upon purchase on both cars and never again. Same for headlight level adjustment and seat belt height adjustment.
Yes headlight level adjuster is one feature I used only once when I purchased the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
The most rarely used feature in my tiago is Insta FE. I really don't know how it is useful. Why would anyone keep tracking Insta FE instead of concentrating on driving.
While it's useless for most of us, I think it helps develop a more sedate driving style for newbie drivers. Sometimes it may help one achieve higher mileage in long drives as one can modulate acceleration based on this.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 23:31   #23
BHPian

Cruise control in my 2015 Honda City. Never used it even once!
Ajay_Sensei is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 23:34   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

The most rarely used feature in my car is the cigarette lighter (not the socket). And heck, I am proud of it 16.5 years of kicking the addiction and counting.
R2D2 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 23:40   #25
BHPian

1. The most unused feature in recent cars would be programmable intermittent wipers. Many owners don't even know that their car has this feature.

And I can imagine many will go and check their owner's manual for the first time now.

2. Secondly, there are ashtrays in older cars which most people don't use, and eventually manufacturers turned them into additional cup holder. I use my car's ashtray as dustbin or to store few small objects.

3. There are seat belt holders (like clips) to hold seatbelts in place when not in use, many wouldn't have even used them once.

4. Aux port - BT connectivity made this redundant and rarely used.

5. Few modes in A/C to divert air flow are never used my most people and the temperature control knob is untouched in manual A/C in places with hot climate.

6. And most importantly, the head lamp leveler switch.. one must use it in case of excessive load in the boot. But most people don't.
saikarthik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 23:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Yes headlight level adjuster is one feature I used only once when I purchased the car.
You don't change based on the load?

Quote:
it may help one achieve higher mileage in long drives as one can modulate acceleration based on this.
Insta FE is too cutthroat, AFE is any day better and let's you assess on a medium-long range rather than each and every move. Requires much less attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
programmable intermittent wipers.
Used it twice in 2 years. Had to park the car and understand which way I had to rotate. That's how oddly placed the intermittent speed control is. More often than not, the 3 main speeds take care of almost all scenarios.

And its so rarely used, you'll barely remember by muscle memory the next time you want to use.
Old 21st December 2020, 00:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Airbags!

Rarely used doesn't make a feature non-essential
McLaren Rulez is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 00:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
You don't change based on the load?
I drive alone or max one passenger 90% of the time. So never really felt the need.

Also one feature that I personally didn't use more than once or twice is power window lock switch. I think it's needed when you have children sitting in the back seat just like child door lock. Didn't have to use them too often.
What are the most rarely used features in your car?-images-3.jpeg
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 00:43   #29
SDP
Team-BHP Support

When you get a new car, you are super excited about all the features and would experiment with them. Soon the excitement dies down and then lot of features remain unused for years to come.

For me personally:
1. Voice commands - Got fed up of faking an American accent so that the lady could understand me + it had very limited functions anyways

2. Video playing capability of the infotainment system. While driving I don't want to watch anything on the screen. If not driving, I don't want to be inside the car anyways

3. Cruise control - no highways where it can be used . Have tried it on Mumbai Pune expressway, but most of the times the traffic is fairly thick

4. Auto Headlight - can't use hi-beam in this mode. So stopped using it early on.

5. Camping light in the boot

6. Hill Descent Control

7. Sunglasses holder - forgot one pair in it while giving for service and was flicked. Never used it after that

8. The third button on the key fob. I think it unlocks just the rear hatch door.

9. Headlight leveler

10. AM channels on radio - are there really any AM channels?

Last edited by SDP : 21st December 2020 at 09:10.
SDP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 01:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

10. AM channels on radio - are there really any AM channels?
+1 I wonder if someone has even tried to search for AM channels in the recent times! In my last 12 years of driving, I don't even remember scanning for AM channels. Whenever there was no FM reception, an audio cassette was a fall back option (yes, my 2005 model Santro had an aftermarket cassette player).
rachitarora1985 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks