Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:57   #151
BHPian

Re: What are the most rarely used features in your car?

This thread has gone a little haywire .

This is about rarely used features in the car, not the features used most or least in ascending/descending order.

I see even airbags and spare tyre in the list!. God forbid, why even think about their usage? Yes, please do check the air pressure on the spare tyre every now and then. Then forget about it .
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:03   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
Here is my list:

2. Reverse parking 'sensors'- It was a freebie given to us during purchase. They never helped in judging the position of the car and added four ugly black dots on the cars back. When the car is about to hit something I can see it in the IRVM. Once a little puppy was behind the car and it gave no signals but thankfully a bystander alerted me. Best practice is to go out of the car and check yourself for anything not visible being present there. Don't know why goverment made them mandatory.
That is one feature which i cannot do without.
My Zest has factory fitted 4 infrared sensors, and they've served me pretty well.
Be it a small rock/wall/vehicle or even a small puppy passing by, they update very quickly and sound alert with varying levels of beep.
The frequency of beep increases with decreasing distance of obstacle, with a continuous beep sounded when the obstacle is about to touch, with a volume that can even awaken a bear in hibernation.
Very glad with this govt regulation to make it mandatory on cars.

But with your experience I feel, it is a case of manufacturer cutting corners and giving that feature because they're mandated to.
Did you try replacing those sensors with better ones?

I'm sure you'll be saved a lot of pain, if you get them replaced.
i@M.S.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 13:21   #153
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
I see even airbags and spare tyre in the list!. God forbid, why even think about their usage? Yes, please do check the air pressure on the spare tyre every now and then. Then forget about it .
Well! There are few in Govt who thinks so.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/77094986.cms

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...pare-tyre.html (New government notification says vehicles with up to 8 seats need not carry a spare tyre)
Old 23rd December 2020, 13:48   #154
BHPian

Rarely used features in my car:

- Steering controls (voice command, volume, etc)
- Headlamp level adjuster
- Audio system remote, still prefer the volume rotation in the system itself
chinmaypillay is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 15:17   #155
BHPian

Rarely used in my XUV that I had replaced few months back
1. Auto wiper. Didn't like it at all as my requirement and the wiper speed were just not matching
2. Cruise control. Tried a couple of times and then stopped. Just did not work for the roads I drove.
3. Rear fog lamp
4. The multi layer dash storage. Never ever used it except to dump things and close it. Apparently it was meant to store a tablet?
5. Third row seats. Realised that I needed that space only for family luggage and never family. 4 years of driving the car and probably used both third row seats maybe once? And one folded and one open a few times.
6. Along the same lines third row AC knob
7. Engine auto off. Hated it in my XUV. Don't mind it in my Ciaz

Never used
1. Voice control
2. CD player
3. Child lock. And i can't imagine why. I use it now with my other cars and older kids!
4. Remote
5. First aid kit, thankfully.

Used surprisingly a lot
1. AUX IN
2. USB for music
3. The 2 level armrest Storage. Great place to store all the small things I carry
4. The press button storage on top of dash - ideal place for my wallet.

Sorely missed
1. Android auto (but then I had the version without touch screen). With it now in my new car, I think it's a must have especially wireless android auto. Mainly maps and music.

Last edited by srivibhu : 23rd December 2020 at 15:20.
srivibhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 15:46   #156
Senior - BHPian

Although I had used the below features during initial months of ownership, I don't use these anymore.

1. Eco mode: It takes out the fun of driving.

2. ESS (Engine Start-Stop 'micro-hybrid' system): Once got stuck in an underpass in heavy traffic as ESS did not restart the car and it took couple of minutes to restart the car using the key.

Last edited by airbus : 23rd December 2020 at 15:47.
airbus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 17:11   #157

If the feature was used once and it provided a setting that you never have to change it again it is not a rarely used feature - it is a feature used daily on a preferred setting because if the feature was not there it would have led to inconvenience now and then.

So, I guess some of us are using steering adjustment, seat height adjustment and seat belt height adjustment everyday. Handover the car to a different driver for few days and you might have to use all these features again once you get the car back.
agelesstravelle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 00:00   #158
BHPian

Voice Command Feature - Never used

Semi Automatic Parking - Used few time to see how it actually works

Hill Descend control - Felt that manual braking has more control over uneven surfaces.

AM Radio, SiriusXM Satellite Radio - Never used even there was a free subscription available for first year.

Aux Port - Not even once in my last 18 years of my owning five different cars

Second Row USB Port - I never allow Kids to watch video/Reading books in moving
Vehicle which I feel it’s more strain to their eyes - Somebody can correct if its incorrect

Now there are some features being used unknowingly and rarely recognize it as useful.

- Steering adjustments - Most will adjust once soon after buying and forget it until somebody mess up the position really bad.

- Defogger - Even it’s used once a year, think of situation if it’s not available.
arunrajk81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 02:58   #159
BHPian

My experience with most of the features discussed so far on this thread has been a little on the other side - because I live in the UK. Let me first state why I use some of the "rarely used" features quite frequently. Then I will talk about the ones I don't use.

1. Rear Sensor for Parking: I drive an estate. So, the view is not that great from IRVM. The "beep" from the sensor when I am reversing the car especially into the tight parking areas (In the UK, most of the parking areas are TIGHT), is a god-send.

2. Reverse Mode Sensor On/Off: When I put the car on reverse, the reverse parking sensor kicks in. Then I put her on Drive and drive away. Till I hit 15mph, the car still stays in that mode - which means it suppresses the audio (so that you can hear the beep clearly). I can tap that on/off button to get my Hotel California back to the full volume.

3. Cruise Control: Another God-send feature for me. In a 20mph zone or a 50mph zone, it is a problem to go beyond the speed limit even by 1mph. I normally set the cruise control at 20mph - to make sure I don't get a ticket. I use it multiple times a day - in the village I live in. Not just on the motorways.

4. Child Lock: Two kids in the rear seat. So, it goes without saying that this feature has been used a lot. My car makes it easy to turn on and off the child lock. It is just one more button on the driver's door controls.

5. Auto High Beam: Love this feature. Helps in navigating the deserted and narrow rural streets of the UK at night. I don't have to remember to switch to low beam if there's a car coming my way.

6. Auto Wipers: Of course, in the UK it rains 365 days. (Ok I stand corrected. It only rains 360 days in a year). The auto wiper feature is pretty useful while driving in an unpredictable burst of rain.

Now, a few that I do not use at all

1. Car Navigation System: I use Android Auto exclusively on my phone as an App. (Not through the car MMS. My car does not support it.)

2. CD Player: I use Youtube Music via Android Auto. I don't remember ever sliding a CD into the player so far.

3. Seat Configuration Memory Buttons: My car has support for two profiles (Seat configurations). Never used this feature as I am the only driver of the car.

4. App link/OBD2: Have not even configured the app so far.
venuvedam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 10:22   #160
BHPian

Features I rarely/ never used are:
1. Follow me home lights: noticed it once initially when I heard about this, never again.
2. Voice Commands: never used.
3. Head rest adjustment: never lay my head on it, I drive myself and believe it could make me sleepy sooner.
4. Auto lights On.: I found these to be too sensitive.
5. AM/FM.: Use my own playlist and these seem to be unnecessarily wasting time in searching the right mode.
6. Mobile phone holder/Pad.: I my Seltos, I do not find it convenient to use this.
7. Folding rear seats.: Never used.
Beside these there could be some features I never tried exploring/not aware.
gkg2423 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 11:28   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Even so, Jaguar produces a 45 minute video,
Thanks for sharing. The first sequence really captures the essence of what Jaguars stood for - evocative good looks.

Back in the day, Maurice Flanagan the Executive Vice Chairman of the Emirates Group would buy a new Jaguar every year - and we would think how lucky he was - really was something to own one those days.

The design gave Jaguar its aspirational value. Somewhere along the way Jaguar lost the plot.

The current design language looks as if there has been some unwanted cross fertilization with the Koreans. They just don’t come close to the yesteryear ones in terms of class.

Last edited by AMG Power : 24th December 2020 at 11:50.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 13:51   #162
BHPian

We have this legendary Honda multiple character technology aka i-Vtec equipped car. Be it highway or city, Car rarely goes past 3-4k RPMs which means the real magic at the top end is almost idle and rarely used
5252rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 19:25   #163
BHPian

For me, it’s the Power lock switch on my Honda City that never ever gets used. Maybe it’s more suited for families with kids.
Old 14th April 2021, 21:31   #164
BHPian

Some of the features that I’ve rarely used are:-
Automatic wipers
Cruise control
Remote engine start ( civic 2019 )
Auto climate control
Old 15th April 2021, 07:03   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Never used:

AM/FM radio, as I detest the inane mindless English + relevant vernacular banter.

Automatic Climate Control is the other. I like fiddling with the controls myself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks