Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:07   #91
BHPian

Re: What are the most rarely used features in your car?

Rarely used features in my Crysta.

1. Rear defogger.
2. Third row seats. used only once in the last three years. usually it is just four of us in the car.
3. Rear fog lamp.
4. PWR mode.
5. CD drive (never).
6. inbuilt Maps.
7. Music system. I like to drive silent. So practically no music in the car. when driving with family we talk (& argue & fight).
raghukodali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:08   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Today we have numerous different car makers in our market offering us hundreds of different models accross the different price segments. Newer cars joining them every month with some unique new features while the old ones get updated with additional accessories to woo more buyers. While some cars come with the right balance of gizmos and safety technologies, others have imbalance specially when it comes to safety equipments in India. Now while we all love those new gadgets in our new cars, they give us feel good factor as well as bragging rights, not all of them are useful on a day to day basis in the long run.

So here I'd like to discuss with you what are the features that you have or had in your cars that you feel like unused most of the time. Remember a feature rarely used doesn't necessarily mean it's useless or unnecessary. They just don't come in handy on a daily basis. Here goes my list
Absolutely Apr thread in current times of bombardment of delusional features.
I have W8 XUV 500.
Here is list of features rarely used by me apart from what Carpainter mentioned in his post like Fog lamp,Rear seat belt, Cigarette lighter.

Hill hold :
Used only once in 7 years while climbing to a resort in the upper reaches of Khandala.

Cruise control: Can be used only when traveling on mum Pune express way which once a year .

Rear view mirror in Goggle holder unit.:
Never used & felt no need to check in that very curved mirror.

Tyre jack:
Used once in seven years .That is reliability of Bridgestone & availability of immediate help of tyre repairer (Vulcaniser ,i doubt any one dies it nowadays)In 60s 70s it was norm for taxis.

Voice command:
Though feature is provided & useful,i rarely used it & tend to use required buttons to activate .

Hope many will find it in their list also.

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd December 2020 at 13:27. Reason: Please avoid quoting the whole post.
Vijay T is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:15   #93
BHPian

I think many VW owners could relate to this: winding down all the windows using the remote.

In fact, I demonstrated this feature to my friend who has a Polo and he never knew this existed in his car for almost 3 years!

Although one of the reasoning for this feature is to air out the heat when parked under the sun, in real life, I don't think anybody has the patience to stand out in the sun, open the windows from outside and wait for the car to cool down. Most people just jump in and switch on the ac to max while winding down all the windows.
Fury is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:21   #94
BHPian

Following features I have never/rarely used in our Cars:

Rarely used:

1. Cruise Control
2. Android Auto
3. Phone Charger

Never used:

1. Aux Port
2. Voice Commands
3. Played a video on Touchscreen (don't even know if it's possible)
DieselAnna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:32   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
I think many VW owners could relate to this: winding down all the windows using the remote.

In fact, I demonstrated this feature to my friend who has a Polo and he never knew this existed in his car for almost 3 years!

Although one of the reasoning for this feature is to air out the heat when parked under the sun, in real life, I don't think anybody has the patience to stand out in the sun, open the windows from outside and wait for the car to cool down. Most people just jump in and switch on the ac to max while winding down all the windows.
Didnt know this feature. Can you please explain on how to do it?

I have a 2011 polo highline, did this feature exist in 2011 cars?
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:36   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Didnt know this feature. Can you please explain on how to do it?

I have a 2011 polo highline, did this feature exist in 2011 cars?
I am not sure if this feature was added to the later models or not but you could definitely try it out!

Just press and hold the unlock button while you are outside the car and it should roll down all the windows. Similarly, press and hold the lock button to wind it all back up. Do let me know if it works!
Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:37   #97
BHPian

@2000rpm, I too have a 2011 Polo Highline 1.6 Petrol. If your car has 4 power window switches on driver door, you have this feature. If only 2 switches like in my car, then no.

My Skoda has it though.
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:42   #98
BHPian

For the long lists here of the rarest used features I think I’m odd one out!

I used to think remote engine on is a party trick! But guess what I’ve been using it everyday. Guess why? I have a turbo petrol and I follow the idle rule. I walk out of the elevator switch it on and by the time I walk to it settle down put on my seatbelt and place my phone in the slot it’s almost warmed up! That’s saving me a couple of non annoying wait time when I drive each morning.

Apple car play is wireless and 99% of the time even if I don’t want to use it it’s projected and yes I do use the voice command to play songs or call up people while driving! Obviously never to text or open windows and things!

There you go, I use the most rare used features by the majority on a daily basis!

Cruise control is the biggest party trick for me! I can almost never be idle at one speed on the highway to actually cruise in our traffic conditions.

Last edited by bhansali_hardik : 22nd December 2020 at 12:43.
bhansali_hardik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:42   #99
BHPian

Strongly against your idea of sunroof.

It's like having a glass wall in your apartment/house. It just adds to the luxury hence was always a component in 30L+ cars in the past. Yes, opening the sun roof is not ideal in India and you will not want to keep it open ALWAYS but the airiness in the cabin that you feel with the glass over your head is something I adore.

An occasional opening of the roof amidst hills/forest/sea link etc is a plus as well.
abhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:44   #100
BHPian

Well in my cars, I have never ever used the following:

1) Storing Names & Numbers and dialing from Car Infotainment system

2) D1/2/3 door setting & central lock sensitivity (they are always on default)

3) Sunglass holder

4) Front / Rear Power outlets

5) Remote which came with ICE
Aniket Verma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:47   #101
BHPian

In TUV, I rarely use ESS and Eco mode options. Also, the heat option is something I need to yet try, after 4 years
sunilsreenivasg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:54   #102
BHPian

I usually do mostly night/dawn/dusk highway driving; so read the following with a pinch of salt

1. High beam. I actually find it very distracting. Since 90% of others on opposite direction are on high beams; in that situation, me using low beam is lot easier to focus on what is in front and on the edges of the road.
2. Horn. Again mostly only for emergencies. On highways, flashing lights are much better to get attention. Plus, my current ride Kia has the horn pad uncomfortably small to reach from steering.
3. AM Radio. I think the only time I use it is if there is cricket commentary!
4. The Infotainment display. Usually when I don't need the map for navigation, this is distracting and I keep the display off (it shows a clock in dim light); and let some podcast/playlist play on audio. Google maps anyway shouts out alerts.
vsbabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:57   #103
Senior - BHPian

Toyota has put headlight washers in Fortuner, I would have used it only of couple of times in last 7 years. Key entry is one feature I have never used till date, hope it is still working
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:10   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Cruise control for me, have tried using it a couple of times for just the sake of it, but never got around using it again.
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:19   #105
BHPian

There are features which are anbsolutely neccessary and used on a daily basis and there are some which are being used only once or twice.

The features that are there in my V Cross which I use it on frequently or most of the times.

1. Auto AC
2. Cigarette lighter for my Walkies, Car purifier, Car inverter for charging phones, cameras, Laptop etc
3. Cup holders for keeping the water bottle, ashtray etc.
4. Rear Seat belt for the rear passengers, I make sure that they wear it on all kind of travels whether its a city or highway driving
5. Rear Defrogger is used during the monsoons or in case of Misty weather
6. Electric Driver seat adjustment is used only when it goes for service or is driven by some one else otherwise i keep it at a particular fixed position
7. Cruise control used only during the highway driving
8. Electric Rear view adjustment, this is being used on a regular basis
9. MID is used on a regular basis to check the mileage or the Kilometer range or the average distance travelled per hour, specially on highway driving.

Features that are rarely used

1. Steering rack adjustment used once only after the truck comes from showroom

2. Headlight focus adjustment used only once and in the fixed position.

I won't say that the features which are provided by the manufacturers are un neccessary but useful and completely depends on the user.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks