Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:49   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: What are the most rarely used features in your car?

3rd row of seats in my Sorento. Never used. as good as new.
we are a family of 3 plus a Dog. the Dog takes the entire bootspace.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:52   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
I am of the belief that every feature has atleast one user who will find it useful.

If it is there...it has a purpose.
Being a devil's advocate here - don't we perceive these features mentioned in the thread as useless/rarely used, just because we do not know the benefits/use-cases/have never come across a situation to use any of these features?

Not playing around with anyone's ego here, but just had this thought after scanning this thread -
The grapes are sour because the fox couldn't reach them
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:57   #78
BHPian

Here are some items that i've never used in my Tiago.
1) Radio Toggle Switch on the steering wheel
2) Instant FE (I prefer using tank to tank method)
3) Distant to empty (I know once the fuel indicator glows i have about 40 odd kms left before i refill)
4) Aux Port
5) Tilt Steering (comfortable with default)
SulemanP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:58   #79
BHPian

The instrument console brightness (especially the blue ambient rings) adjustment knob in the honda city is something i never use.
Attached Thumbnails
What are the most rarely used features in your car?-b7790e2288284a598bf697355818d191.jpeg  

Old 22nd December 2020, 11:00   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Barring the voice commands & Aux port - I use absolutely EACH feature of my car a lot. This doesn't mean my car has a lot of features & I use them all.

It just means my car has the right set of features for my needs & I use them all . I didn't want any automation / smart / connected features in my car. It was a key factor in buying decision also. If the car had all these gizmos - my list of rarely used features would have been very long!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:01   #81
Senior - BHPian

My list -

1 Fogg lamps
2 USB port, I hardly use it.
3 Steering adjustment, I don't need it.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:08   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
With better quality tyres available nowadays the Stepney wheel with tyre is one of the rarely used item (don't qualify as a feature) in all modern cars. I've car inflator and tubeless puncture repair kit in car boot. So I avoid fitting and removal of spare wheel altogether. Instead fix puncture myself unless the puncture is complex.
Rarely used feature : Agreed and I guess its meant to be rarely used but its a must have.
The spare wheel is a contingency for times which cannot be predicted with certainty. As you mentioned the tubeless puncture repair kit and car inflator can be used only for small punctures and that may not be the case all the time. I would never venture out on long drives without ensuring my spare wheel and tools are in order.
Shrey_1520 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:35   #83
BHPian

Car: Ford Ecosport Titanium (P)
Here is a list of features

I use:
- Climate Control: Mostly during the summer season. Otherwise, Ford's Ac unit works really well without CC.
- Fog lamps: I used them while traveling during monsoons in the ghat region. I found it really useful because there is a lot of fog at night, and visibility is very low.
- Armrest: While driving on Pune- Solapur highway (or similar roads) as it is a very straight highway and the driver has nothing to do most of the time.
- Steering adjustment: I use it sometimes to get a feel of a sports car.

I rarely use:
- Defogger: Sometimes, in the rainy season. But, it's a must-have feature.
- Voice commands: It hardly works for me.
- Ambiance light settings: I never used it.
- 12v points: Never used them.
- Cigarette lighter: I had this feature in my previous car. Never unplugged the lighter from its point.
- Water force adjustments for wipers: Never used it. Don't see any difference when I changed the setting.
- Rear seat belts: Used once by my wife.
- Rear Seat folding feature: Never made a flatbed by folding rear seats. I was excited about this feature, not sure what I was thinking.
ketan007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:38   #84
BHPian

Features that I use rarely, and some of them are yet to be tried!
  • Fog lamps (front/rear)
  • Sunroof (maybe once in a month)
  • Rear seatbelts (never used, but I have been requesting from my side to the passengers to use it these days)
  • Baidu Carlife (Chinese Android Auto) & in-built navigation.
  • Cigarettes' lighter (happily helping the dashcam)
  • 12V power outlet (my phone runs out of charge very rarely)
  • Defogger (only in winter, i.e. hardly few days in a year!)
  • Sunglass holder
  • Grab handles
  • Child door lock (Unmarried )

Note : Except for the sunroof, none of the other features can be neglected.

Last edited by kamilharis : 22nd December 2020 at 11:43.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:39   #85
BHPian

The ones I never/rarely use,
Aux port
Automatic Climate Control (Manual should be just fine)
Voice Commands
Instant FE (I have calculated my fuel economy may 3 times in the past 10 years, may be because I buy Diesel cars)
Tilt Steering (May be when others drive)
Sun roof (I bought Nexon with sun roof for my kid)
Reverse Parking Sensor (they have blind spots too)
Auto headlamps
Rain sensing wipers (it has a mind of its own)
Cooled Glove box (not a big deal breaker)
Cornering fog lamps (want only the regular ones)
Auto day/night (prefer the manual)
Auto fold ORVM (better off spending on plastic parts instead of car body scratches and dents)

I see people mentioning Spare tyres, they are a must have unless you only drive within city and only during working hours and only on good roads and drive alone. This includes the wheel spanner and jack.
ramharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:44   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK79 View Post
My reply is based on 2012 i10 Asta Automatic and the 2020 Creta SXO IVT.

AC on Auto: The i10 didn't have it. The 2020 Creta does, but I'm never happy with the blower speed on Auto.

Steering adjustment: Did it once upon purchase on both cars and never again. Same for headlight level adjustment and seat belt height adjustment.
AUTO AC:
I don't find auto AC of much use. It is supposed to maintain a set temperature but on most hot summer days it has to be kept to lowest else it takes time to cool. Once it cools the cabin then you can set it on the required temperature to maintain it, but that is what has to done on a manual AC too. Besides in city stop-go traffic, it has to be set on min.

The auto blower speed gets annoying and need readjustment accordingly.

Is there any other advantage of auto AC besides looking pretty?
Household AC's comes with inverters that adjusts compressor speed and power consumption once the desired temperature is achieved. Does car auto ac have anything as such that makes it draw less power or its just like the window AC which uses max power as long as it remains switched on?
There wasn't much information available on google so please let me know if you have any idea how the car AC works in comparison to a conventional household AC.

STEERING ADJUSTMENT
My height is 5'10'', may be its because I am of average height as I don't feel the need to adjust the steering height. All positions feels more or less the same so don't bother to touch it in any car I drive.
MOUNTAINMAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:46   #87
BHPian

Based on ford endeavour 3.2

Auto park assist - Even though i live in a metro city i have never used this feature purposely. Only time it is used is for show-off

Hill decent control - Never had been to any place where i can actually use this.

Cruise control - Not for our road and especially traffic (even on national expressway)
sachin2612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:48   #88
BHPian

On my E60 530d, there is no Bluetooth audio support so an AUX port or USB is the way to play my music. Also for this very reason, I use the CD changer/ player a lot as well. On my Ignis however, these are not used at all since it does support Bluetooth audio.

On both, my cars the rear seat related features such as air condition controls (530d), cigarette lighter, voice control, radio, etc are hardly ever used.

I may not open the sunroof all that much but I like having the light come in by just opening the shade. Makes the interior really fill up with light.
motorotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:51   #89
BHPian

Cruise Control in my Polo GT TSI.

Living in Bangalore, the cruise control stalk is never touched unless I drive it to my hometown of Kochi which is also a rarity.
nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:01   #90
BHPian

Weird. Quite a few features here that I frequently use.

1. Parking lights: I love VWs single side parking lights and always remember to turn them on when stopping on roadside in crowded areas or particularly on highways.

2. Fog lamps: More a necessity what with Vento's terrible halogens, fog lamps help light up potholes just a wee bit better. And if they help oncoming traffic notice you a bit more, yes please. But strictly on highways.

3. Rear seatbelts: Always. Simple.

4. Climate Control: Again. Every single highway drive. Is such a boon on winter drives in particular keeping the cabin nice a warm. Helps with the fogging too.

5. Rear de-fogger: when I'm not using climate control.

6. Child Lock: Always. Windows and door. Child car seat + child with an active brain.

7. Rear Fog Lamps: Again, such a boon if you live in Mumbai and drive in monsoons. Just detest people driving with their hazards on.

8. Rear armrest: In my Vento, again always. Just feel it provides a tad better support to my son's car seat and makes it more comfortable for the missus if she sits in the back (which she frequently does)
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks