Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:05   #61
BHPian

Re: What are the most rarely used features in your car?

On the Tucson AWD, the compass in the rear view mirror. Pretty pointless.

And the inbuilt navigation is mediocre compared to Google maps. So wastage of time and space for that SD card and charges to keep the maps up to date beyond three years of ownership!
sandeep.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:07   #62
BHPian

There is a removable plastic trim unit in all 4 corners of safari. The one on the fuel fillers side has a manual pull tag to open the fuel filler lid. The electronic release is on the driver's door, Only used this feature once when the pump attendant slammed the lid shut and it got stuck like that.

The boot has hooks for a bungee net thing to hold things down, never used those hooks after losing the net.

Cupholders are rarely used in the car. Food and drinks are strictly prohibited in the cars. They serve as sanitizer and air freshener holders now.

I tried Using the ECON mode of my AC but felt that it didn't make any difference.
I don't use the temperature control dial in safari simply because IT DOESN'T WORK

CD player had almost zero use until I realised how much better CD quality was.

With the advent of phones without AUX jacks and bluetooth streaming lacking quality both of these are seldom used by me. I'm planning to get a USB C DAC to hook up to my aux input.
The phone stays connected just in case of that rare call I get while driving. Most people my age prefer texting.

Only one of our cars have nav, Mapmyindia. and it's never been used properly. The only time we used it , we had google maps running on a phone simply because it's so much better.

Honda Connect I have never ever used. The subscription fees they take is another stupid thing for it.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:09   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
You mean the 12V socket at the front? Because I have a dashcam, it's the one feature that's always used. Heck, even the rear 12V socket gets used generously during roadtrips. The AUX too since I prefer to use that over BT to conserve phone/iPod battery.
Yes, the 12V socket. I too have a dashcam (70Mai), but I have routed the wire through the door beadings to hook it to the rear 12V socket. I did not like the wires dangling on my dashboard.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:19   #64
Senior - BHPian

The 5th gear (overdrive) is increasingly becoming useless for me in the traffic infested semi-urban/state highways. To be on the power band in 4th gear around 70 kmph and using the 'rubber band effect' in traffic is much better than dabbling between braking from 5th-downshift-accelerate mode of driving.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:20   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
4. Auto window down- Just never figured out why I would need to roll the window all the way down or even up when I can't keep my finger on the button for 3 seconds.
The auto up/down feature has been very useful for me during the pre-fasttag-mandatory times. Once I get the toll slip/change, I just press the auto up and while the window goes up, I keep the change in the door pocket and pull away from the toll area with one hand on the gear and the other on the steering! I always found that feature efficient in my 2011 Micra which I missed at certain times while driving rental cars.
Goandiaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:23   #66

[quote=Carpainter;4958828]

Rear seat belts

Attachment 2095021

Now this is going to be a controversial topic. How many of you actually use the rear seat belts every time you carry a rear passenger. Personally speaking I insist on putting rear seat belts on only during highway trips as I believe our bumper to bumper crawling in city don't require rear seat belts but of course there is no harm if one can keep the good habit in city drives as well.

All my family members are in the habit of using the seatbelt at rear too. I feel pretty uncomfortable when I'm in a cab and it doesn't have operational rear seat belts.

Handsfree tailgate opening

Attachment 2095024

Some cars usually expensive SUVs like the Ford Endeavour comes with this feature where a sweeping feet gesture opens the tailgate. I don't have it in my cars but I have never seen anyone using it. Owners with this feature please share your experience.

This is a feature which I thought is pretty useless but I miss this a lot in my Octavia after using it in my Tiguan. I travel Jaipur - Delhi - Jaipur every 2 weeks and when I'm carrying my luggage to the car this is such a nice feature to have. Even while carrying my grocery shopping bags this feature comes in really handy.
madhavabeer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:28   #67
Senior - BHPian

This may not be agreeable to most, but one of the most useless features I have had in my cars are the front fog lamps (OEM). Based on my usage in a city like Pune and driving mostly around mid-West-South Maharashtra, I have hardly had any beneficial effect of using them. They are ornamental at best. Unless you fit in a proper powerful yellow bulb that pierces thru fog, they just act as one more set of lights for the incoming traffic. But then nowadays you have DRLs and what not already.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 22nd December 2020 at 10:29.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:29   #68
BHPian

On our Skoda Karoq:
  1. Air Care:
    It is supposed to alternate between outside air and recirculation, but we smelled smoke from outside a couple of times, so we stopped using it. The annoying thing is that it gets switched on each time you start (or atleast that's what I think, Karoq owners please let me know if it's possible to keep it off)
  2. Heated ORVMs:
    Tropical Kerala is probably not going to necessitate those.
  3. Footwell AC vents:
    There are footwell vents for the rear seat passengers too, but we have never used the feature.
  4. Sunroof:
    We opened the inner liner once during a trip to Munnar, but otherwise it's always closed.
  5. Manual Mode on the shifter:
    I wonder why anyone would want to shift using the gear lever when there are paddle shifters.
  6. Fog Lamps:
    They're LED like the headlamps and placed right below them. Apart from the occasional use for aesthetics, they aren't used.
  7. Android Auto:
    I prefer controlling music from my phone (when I'm not driving, of course), so that leaves only Google Maps as a reason to use Android Auto. And that requirement does not pop up often.
  8. Cruise Control:
    Highly unlikely to be usable on Kerala roads.
  9. Virtual Cockpit views:
    The standard view with equally sized speedo and tachometers is almost always used. There is one view where the tachometer is a dial and the speed is shown digitally. I have used that a couple of times. The other views, never.
francisvellara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:30   #69
BHPian

The music system has to be it for me. I listen to FM radio when in range. I enjoy the conversational aspect of it. For that level of music quality I don't need JBL or Bose or Arkamys. For the same reason I think 4K TVs are pointless when you are watching Arnab or soaps.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:31   #70

I use the connect feature on regular basis. It helps me a lot to track fuel consumption, Route and time taken. For me its a very useful feature
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:31   #71
BHPian

On my Nano XTA
Never used
1. CD player
Rarely used
2. 'S' (Sports) mode, but when used the average goes up, wonder how.

On my Nexon XMA
Rarely used
1. ECO & Sports mode
2. Rear seats
Vinod_nair is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:41   #72
BHPian

On My car's, never used the music system. Use the Honda City 2009 models music display screen for digital Speed, works with a combination of up+down+power button.

Cedia's is connected to reverse camera so that's pretty much the only use.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:42   #73
KPR
BANNED

With better quality tyres available nowadays the Stepney wheel with tyre is one of the rarely used item (don't qualify as a feature) in all modern cars. I've car inflator and tubeless puncture repair kit in car boot. So I avoid fitting and removal of spare wheel altogether. Instead fix puncture myself unless the puncture is complex.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:44   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

I am of the belief that every feature has atleast one user who will find it useful.

If it is there...it has a purpose.

My only gripe is that there will be some manufacturers scanning these threads to see what they could remove/decontent next in the strive for heeding to customer feedback and value optimisation
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:47   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
2. Reverse parking sensor enable/disable switch. No idea why this is provided.
Its usually for Cars which is pulling a trailer. A useless feature in India though

Last edited by ampere : 22nd December 2020 at 11:02. Reason: fixed quote tag

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks