Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2020, 07:32   #61
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda discontinues Civic and CR-V in India

It would make sense discontinuing production and importing under the 2500 quota. Wonder why they never considered this
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 07:40   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post

Couldn’t agree more! The Indian market is just not matured enough for the big two Japanese OEMs. The real loser is the potential Indian customer. They are now deprived of the safe & reliable choice in the segment.

Now, for somebody looking to climb the ladder from the Yaris/City, they have no choice but to consider the Innova/Fortuner.
The Indian market may not be mature but the Japanese giants have failed to prepare for the croosover mania which has been present ever since the Duster and Creta were launched.

I doubt if they still have made a solid plan regarding the same. Even Skoda/ VW, with it's ridiculously difficult organisational structure, have realised this and will mostly likely launch one in the segment in the next 6 months.

Last edited by Turbohead : 24th December 2020 at 07:44. Reason: Accidentally posted without completing the post. Sorry.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 08:34   #63
BHPian

Civic and CRV are among the highest selling cars worldwide and yet Honda India could not sell them in India ? Such a lost opportunity and a sad news. What do people who've spent 25 lakhs plus on these cars do now ?
Old 24th December 2020, 08:51   #64
BHPian

Here's what I think was wrong with Honda:

1. No Turbo Petrols
2. No dual clutch or new generation gearboxes
3. No branded infotainment system
4. Overpriced - Civic and CRV buyers are far better informed of what they should be getting
5. No emotional connect with the young millennial generation and their wants

I feel like Acura needs to make an entry now and take over where the D segment ends. Start with the 2.0T Acura ILX, TLX and the RDX, Honda - price them well and show them how its done.

Otherwise Honda is heading towards irrelevance. Its sad to see this happen. Really sad.

Last edited by reppy : 24th December 2020 at 09:05.
reppy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 08:53   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda discontinues Civic and CRV in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
What do people who've spent 25 lakhs plus on these cars do now ?
Resign themselves to hopeless resale whenever you sell it. For example, I bought my Cruze LT for 14.64L in 2011 and sold for 3.85L in 2018 after 111K km. Could have got relatively more if silly Chevy hadn't folded up.

The resale market has a uncanny knack of putting the right price on such flop and/or discontinued vehicles. Further, both the CRV & Civic are further hobbled as neither has a noticeable USP.
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 09:01   #66
BHPian

Re: Honda discontinues Civic and CR-V in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It would make sense discontinuing production and importing under the 2500 quota. Wonder why they never considered this
The Indian team must have projected higher sales in their pitch to Japan! And convinced them!
Old 24th December 2020, 09:07   #67
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They would be exempt from certification, but the CBU taxes would remain the same. You'd be looking at a 30-lakh rupee Civic and God-knows-what CR-V (considering how it was already overpriced) .
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 09:58   #68
BHPian

I wasn't a big fan of Civic Hatchback but Sedan was acceptable but not particularly elegant IMO mated to an uninspiring engine and an average transmission, But CRV is a good SUV but frankly I never understood their target customers in India since it was priced close to big fat Fortuner, but seeing the numbers in which its being sold it doesn't make sense to continue producing here rather than importing it as CKD under the 2500 vehicle import rule, as they are produced and sold in huge numbers in some other RHD markets.
Also feels like Honda's strategy in India is aiming disaster. Also they are so slow in responding to the Indian Market trends, Indian market need vehicle that are cheap but it shouldn't look cheap, it need to be bigger or perceived bigger when compared to direct competitor and some fancy touch screens will do, mostly the sloppy roof cross over kind of looking things have very less success chance in India.

Last edited by Adam : 24th December 2020 at 10:04.
Adam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 10:00   #69
NTO
BHPian

I guess it would be a good time to buy the left over pieces of the civic at a great discount (read: the price that the Civic should've originally sold at). Knowing Honda, we can get the parts and Honda being Honda, reliability will never be a question.
Old 24th December 2020, 10:02   #70
Senior - BHPian

Extremely disappointed to see this : (((... reminded me of the disappointment I had when I first learned of the engine they were shipping it with.
I was very interested in the next-gen civic, which has less 'edgy' proportions/lines, safe to assume those plans are dead now too : (

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
I guess it would be a good time to buy the left over pieces of the civic at a great discount (read: the price that the Civic should've originally sold at). Knowing Honda, we can get the parts and Honda being Honda, reliability will never be a question.
In such circumstances approx how much of a discount can be expected?

Last edited by Maky : 24th December 2020 at 10:04.
Old 24th December 2020, 10:17   #71
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
If I recall correctly, Honda was selling the diesel civic at 3 lacs off and petrol at 1.5 - 2 lacs off last month. When the dealers find it difficult to sell the last few pieces, you can push for as much as 4- 5 lacs for a diesel civic and 3 -4 for the petrol.
NTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 11:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since both these cars are already certified and CRV being CKD, will there be a significant benefit?
Accord Hybrid was a disaster as CBU, primarily due to the insane price tag they will bring in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
I guess it would be a good time to buy the left over pieces of the civic at a great discount
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
To give an approximate ballpark;
Civic diesel had 4 lac off last year during November and December. Even CRV diesel had the 5 lac off.
This year, a 2.5 lac discount has been ongoing for the last few months for the Civic, whereas Honda people were clueless about CR-V altogether.

Parts availability won't be a problem with these models as they are pretty popular globally, unless and until Honda decides to shut the shop altogether.
Even the 8th gen Civic parts are available with max 2-3 weeks of waiting period

Also wondering where the 'special edition' CR-V they 'launched' few months back are.

Honda India management is a big box of mystery.

Last edited by sarathlal : 24th December 2020 at 11:19.
sarathlal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 11:20   #73
Senior - BHPian

Isnt it a bit interesting that the only real "aspirational" "new age" car in the Indian market in the 20-30 lac category, selling in decent numbers is now the Tata Harrier , atleast for the forseable future ? I am not counting the Compass because of its niche nature and dismal sales. There's the Innova, but its hardly an aspirational lifestyle vehicle. None of the manufacturers have a presence, especially with the diminishing D-sedan numbers.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 11:25   #74
BHPian

A silly move. Honda should double down, introduce an aspirational "type R" (a genuine one not a sticker job) to add some sheen to the brand which trickles down the product line much like VW did with GTi & continue the civic after hearing customer and segment needs.

CR-V has great brand recall and was once THE softroader of this country. I'm pretty sure if it was priced better it will definitely sell as it is built far better than their other offerings.

Be an aggressive mover for PHEV and perhaps try to package it in CRV and Civic ? I mean they launched a civic hybrid eons ago when the market wasn't ready !
Old 24th December 2020, 11:35   #75
Senior - BHPian

I believe Honda is going through a tough times as a company. Of course 2020 has been tough for all car makers including Japanese ones - but with the twin swords of autonomous driving and electrification hanging above their head - it makes life more difficult for 'independent' Japanese car makers like Honda. All the other car makers are either in an alliance (Nissan, Mitsubishi) or have the 'blessing' of Toyota (Subaru, Mazda, Suzuki). Honda has taken tough business decisions, including discontinuing the Civic sedan in their home market Japan!

Even the Honda e with it's small size and big price was never going to be a big seller.

Even here in Japan, my Japanese colleagues openly say that unlike in the olden days, it's better to wait for a year after launch to buy a new Honda product due to the niggles.

And their cars are no longer considered to be driver's cars (old Civic vs new Civic) or the best in interior quality (Mazdas are simply the best in this regard among Japanese OEMs).

Also the styling of Hondas of this past generation was fuzzy to put it simply. Honda is one of my favorite automakers globally.

I believe they are going through an existential crisis, and wish they come out on top in the end.
Viju is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks