Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 12:52   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors posts a Tata Safari video - What's at play here!?

Safari branding of the 7 seater Harrier reminds me of Hero Honda CBZ X-treme. While the end product was definitely more sorted, the original variant was a cult. The successor is more like banking on the image that the original had.
Turbokick is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:53   #47

Image confirms the launch of 7seater SUV in the name of safari
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors posts a Tata Safari video - What's at play here!?-img20210106wa0006.jpg  

Last edited by 535dinesh : 6th January 2021 at 13:03.
535dinesh is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:54   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Thinking about this, it's clear Tata proved how special "Safari" badge is to them.

Eventually, their most expensive offering will always be the "Safari" like it was always(except the last few years of Hexa and Harrier).
PrasannaDhana is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:59   #49
BHPian

Safari!! The stepped roof and window line of the Gravitas suddenly starts to make sense now.
Sagz is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:06   #50
BHPian

It's official.

Gravitas will be launched as Tata Safari, with the possibility of a 4x4 version in future.

Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-safari-419572

Considering the time and the badge that Tata has taken to get this on road, I wish they would have made 4x4 available on launch.
MadTitan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:12   #51
BHPian

Absolutely no way the safari coming back. I own a storme and love it dearly, but will be the first one to agree that it's strictly 2012 engineering and has no place in the market with that same feature set.

Unless it's reworked with more modern interiors,( don't get me wrong, it still is very luxurious) but it won't be alluring at all for anyone except for the few hundred across the country who want 4x4 7 seaters under 20L . The thar is simply not for everyone. It requires more than just a monetary investment.

Some features that NEED to be there if it's planning on returning.
-Auto Climate Control
-MID with more info. It just has trips and ambient temp, that also only on few cars
-reverse cam from factory. The 4 sensors and integrated screen for them in irvm is perfect
-A competent infotainment system (no need of connected car features and the likes)
-Keyless entry and button start
-More airbags and ESP ( much needed for a tall car like this)
-The same 170bhp engine as the harrier
-The same plush ride quality

And tata can look at a moderately successful car from their stable, but will definitely eat into the sales of Harrier and Hexa.
It's a shame that they're using it's name to build hype around the hexa safari edition launch. There was nothing wrong with the car, It fixed everything that was wrong with the erstwhile dicor. Just lacked the bling and screens our marked so desperately craves
Old 6th January 2021, 13:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

Gravitas will be renamed Safari. Got to know from someone close to handling launch matters.

4x4 would mean changing the rear floor to accomodate the hardware. Will take some time. But looks like it will come to keep with the Safari brand ethos.
arjab is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:36   #53

I feel so excited hearing that the legendary Safari nameplate is being brought back but at the same time not having a 4*4 at launch feels so incomplete imo.
Tata motor's latest instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJseaAzB...d=m7uem5yl2z7q
SubhoMoto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:40   #54
BHPian

Like my fellow BHPians, after watching the youtube commercial of Tata Safari, I also feel that Gravitas will be launched as Safari.
But IMO, the gravitas would be a very different car and I am not sure if it can match the DNA of Safari!
I don't want it to be like Honda's motorcycle "extreme" which was named under CBZ, but did not have any charm or DNA of good old CBZ.

-Cheers!
DB
Old 6th January 2021, 13:51   #55
BHPian

Nope.

In my humble opinion, it was daft of Tata to ditch the Safari brand when they did. They chose to focus on the Hexa which, yes, had it's positives but was, let's be honest- a failed product.

Bringing the name back now isn't the most brilliant move either, I think. The Safari stood for originality, ruggedness, style, comfort and dependability. More important than all of that- it was its own brand!

This..is..sad. They should've stuck with Gravitas. Or "Harrier 7" or "Harrier XL" or "Harrier Gravitas". Giving this the Safari brand name is half-assing it, which no one really appreciates. Calling a monocoque, FWD d-e-r-i-v-a-t-i-v-e of a 5-seat crossover a "Safari" is just plain wrong.

*SIGH*
Singh101 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:58   #56
BHPian

This is disappointed me... None of the safari design elements exists in the gravitas. Tata folks are overconfident that people will not understand it is based on the harrier.

Safari is a legend. And Tata folks are doing a cheap job by not giving the brand the respect it deserves.

I wouldn't mind if they had named the harrier sierra or safari. But to do this after harrier is hopeless

On the other hand, I do wish it is a good product though.

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 6th January 2021 at 14:11.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Safari design elements cant be brought to 2021. People will find it dated. That car remains a classic. Pray, tell me how is this car so radically different from the original safari? (Omitting the 4X4, of course). Both are tall SUVs right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
This is disappointed me... None of the safari design elements exists in the gravitas. Tata folks are overconfident that people will not understand it is based on the harrier
Old 6th January 2021, 14:11   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post

I sincerely hope they learn to get things right, stay away from this Safari-Hexa business and launch a true Safari (perhaps the Blackbird with a standard car and a Storme variant, with AWD/4WD/AT at launch, Sunroof, true Skid Plates, terrain-mode etc. a la TrailHawk). And frankly revive the Hexa. It's a brilliant car!
Called it. Well kinda I am so glad they are doing this. Safari deserves a whole car and a capable one at that. I hope they're able to convert this to a 4X4 within this year too.

I understand people being disappointed at Safari brand name associating with a monocoque but hey, even the defender is a monocoque. The true test lies in what the car can do. Simple as that. And if this can do mad stuff while seating 6 in comfort, power to the new Safari.

Last edited by Annibaddh : 6th January 2021 at 14:15.
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:13   #59
BHPian

Except for the lack of 4 wheel drive, the Gravitas, in my opinion, deserves to be called the Safari. I really hope Tata has fixed all of the niggles and hopefully launches this car without any issues. Since they have been testing it since a long time, I hope all of the issues have been ironed out. Also, will the gravtias/safari get a panoramic sunroof at the time of launch? It was absent on the car which was displayed at the auto expo.
saikishor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:13   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Safari design elements cant be brought to 2021. People will find it dated. That car remains a classic. Pray, tell me how is this car so radically different from the original safari? (Omitting the 4X4, of course). Both are tall SUVs right!
By design elements: lines, cuts, roof design, lights etc everything that makes it iconic.

Look at Bronco, defender, etc nameplates which have been revived. All have a link to the original design.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed