Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2021, 21:43   #346
BHPian

Re: VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
We have the T-ROC no? It's right in between the Taigun and Tiguan.
Yes but isn’t it CBU? expecting some locally assembled product to keep price in check
Old 7th December 2021, 21:46   #347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaumik View Post
Bookings have been closed for T-ROC. Not sure if they are going to withdraw it or relaunch in a different avatar.
Should be back soon as per rumours. There is an annual limit to import quantity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdrive View Post
Yes but isn’t it CBU? expecting some locally assembled product to keep price in check
Yup a CBU. They don't have anything else globally. The Karoq from Skoda fills that gap globally. Skoda said no plans for Karoq at all.

Only option they can do is to get a 1.5L TSI Tiguan which will dilute the premium tag so they won't.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 22:41   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I was waiting for the Tiguan before finalizing my upgrade. I am sharing a short comparison of the SUVs in the 30 - 45 L bracket. Clearly each satisfies a different criterion with some being neither here nor there. I am not going to pass any judgement here. I believe I now know what I want to pick up... or do I ?
The whole issue will be should I buy a Jeep Compass Petrol at INR 33L or Tiguan at 40 L. Its going to be how the 2.0 TSI drives vs the 1.4 Multijet. The DSG and paddles on VW will simply ace the GB of Jeep and for sure the space on VW including boot is better. Its only the driving dynamics which will be a point of contention which needs to be tested for the additional INR 7L. Jeep's petrol mileage wont be higher than VW for sure. If you pick the diesel, then the cost difference still narrows down. The GB, NVH of VW are still better and the FE of Jeep will be better. I am thinking if I should pay INR 4 L more and move on with VW after test driving. The other cars in your comparison is not my interest so not really comparing
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 23:50   #349
BHPian

Okay so I’m a bit disappointed by the interiors. It somehow doesn’t look as premium as the international version seen on YouTube. Also a smallish 8” infotainment screen. Should’ve been better. Also the dark interiors make it seem less spacious. As far as pricing is concerned, this and the Octy, both should come down with good discounts like the superb after a few months. So won’t be an issue. But I’m not so kicked about this update. I guess the upcoming, Tucson will steal the show with lesser price, bigger space and more features. Hyundai has got a great opportunity to beat both, the Tiguan and the Compass here.
Old 8th December 2021, 00:20   #350
BHPian

This pricing is not making sense. Looks like VW desperately wants to go Ford way. Space and features wise it is competing with Hyundai Tucson like SUV but pricing is like BMW or Audi. I was hoping they will price it under 30 but sure this one is not priority for VW. A damp squib.
KrishKallapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 00:39   #351
BHPian

Good to see the baby Tiguan back and it's brought in some feature improvements compared to the Diesel 2.0 TDI Tiguan, but in usual Volkswagen fashion, misses out on quite a lot of equipment which could have made it a car with a WOW factor. -20 marks to Volkswagen and/or their web team for using misleading LHD and RHD representation and floating around pictures and equipment which they had no intention of launching in India.

VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021-screenshot-20211207-10.52.50-am.png

It seems that the car will not bring in the Haptic R-Line Steering wheel and from media pictures, it looks like it'll make do with a similar steering we've seen on the Taigun.

VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021-tiguan-steering.png

The Active Info Display is here for those who love digital dials but it can only do so much if the MIB Infotainment system does not support on-board navigation. This unit right here will most probably not support on-board navigation which also relays to the Active Info Display.

VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021-tiguan-composition-media.png

This is something they started with the first lot of T-Roc and the trend of half baking features seems to be continuing. The website and the brochures continue to float images of the Discover Pro Headunit, which doesn't seem to be coming to India anytime soon.

The Tiguan misses out on equipment like the 360 OPS with Self Parking and 360 Camera.

What I'm really excited to see is the on-road performance of the IQ Lighting system. The Diesel Tiguan only got LED Reflector Headlights, while the AllSpace came with an improved pair of headlights. Having experienced the IQ Lighting on the Golf 8, it was just amazing and I can't wait to see how it fares on our road conditions.

It's good to see Direct Tyre Pressure Monitoring back, and the omission of this on the Tiguan Allspace majorly ticked me off, considering it was always offered on the Diesel Variant.

So to summarise the equipment here's what I could visually see from actual press shots. Apologies if I've missed or made a mistake in identifying or targeting any set of features, but I've tried to limit the comparison to electronic equipment which I'm most excited about :-

Some Equipment Additions as compared to the Diesel baby Tiguan
  • IQ Headlights
  • New LED Tail-lights
  • Heated Steering Wheel with Paddles and Physical Buttons
  • Touch-Air Controls
  • LED Gearknob
  • Active Info Display (Virtual Cockpit)
  • USB-C Ports (upgraded from USB-A)

General Omissions (at first glance)
  • Discover Media Head-unit or better to support Navigation
  • Wireless Charging
  • Ventilated Seats
  • Advanced Driver Assistance Features like Lane Change Assist, Radar for Autonomous Braking and Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Monitoring, 360 Surround View Camera
  • 360 Self-Parking OPS
  • 360 Camera Support

I believe a few of these features would have made a stronger case for the Tiguan considering even the Taigun gets Wireless Charging, Wireless App. Connect and Ventilated seats. Since there is increasing talk and addition of ADAS by brands like MG, Mahindra and Hyundai, VW adding it to the Tiguan would have added to safety quotient and distinguishing factor in my opinion since VW's safety technologies have been around internationally for close to a decade.
fluidicjoy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 00:55   #352
BHPian

So, the facelifted Tiguan misses Powered Co-Driver seat too at those prices!!

VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021-screenshot-20211208-12.48.23-am.png

Few glaring omissions:
1) No 360 Cam
2) Manual Front passenger seat
3) No connected Car Tech (Taigun gets it)
4) No ventilated Seats (Taigun gets it)
5) No ADAS (yes, I find them useful)
6) No rear blinds
7) No fancy branded audio with sub-woofer setup. Much cheaper cars get it now. (I couldn't verify enough, if it gets one)

I hope it gets In-built navigation and not just Google Map projection via phone.

Sometimes, it feels like VW intentionally doesn't want to sell cars. They could have launched a true top-end variant.

Last edited by AMG1 : 8th December 2021 at 00:57. Reason: more info
AMG1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 01:15   #353
BHPian

Would be interesting to see how they price the Kodiaq now. Its definitely a lot more premium to the Tiguan (but shares the same engine) and I can see some of Tiguan customers waiting for the Kodiaq.

Last edited by kartavya : 8th December 2021 at 01:17.
Old 8th December 2021, 06:32   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Wow! Just wow! So VW priced the Tiguan at par with the petrol Fortuner! Granted that it has the more powerful engine, sunroof, digital instrumentation cluster etc, but still the 7 seat Fortuner is THE poster child of atrocious pricing
Many folks are now thinking on same lines - the petrol fortuner is actually beginning to look VFM or what?!
A colleague will be booking the petrol fortuner today - he was just waiting for the pricing on Tiguan & was ready to shell out 35L tops on this.
Old 8th December 2021, 07:42   #355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Many folks are now thinking on same lines - the petrol fortuner is actually beginning to look VFM or what?!
A colleague will be booking the petrol fortuner today - he was just waiting for the pricing on Tiguan & was ready to shell out 35L tops on this.
Can’t the Fortuner come with a full system hybrid like the Camry? There’s chatter of a diesel hybrid but honestly, I feel its a petrol hybrid, if feasible, that will really fly off the shelves with increasing reluctance towards diesel.

Interesting that your friend is open to a petrol Fortuner. I am curious to know what kind of FE a petrol Fortuner would deliver - would be an outright alcoholic I would imagine.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 08:03   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Many folks are now thinking on same lines - the petrol fortuner is actually beginning to look VFM or what?! .
Said this before and say it again - the Fortuner and the Tiguan are not competitors. The Fortuner is a rough road truck - great for folks who are driven through rural India, but with horrible body roll which makes it terrible for anyone who drives or is driven sportily. It is also quite unrefined in my view.

The Tiguan is an urban crossover, extremely refined and comfortable, with limited or negligible body roll, and with an engine (2 l TSI) which beats even the 2 l diesels on a GLC or X3 to the 100 kmph mark. If you need a Fortuner, buy one. But the price is not the reason to choose one over the other.
Hayek is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 08:16   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Can’t the Fortuner come with a full system hybrid like the Camry? There’s chatter of a diesel hybrid but honestly, I feel its a petrol hybrid, if feasible, that will really fly off the shelves with increasing reluctance towards diesel.

Interesting that your friend is open to a petrol Fortuner. I am curious to know what kind of FE a petrol Fortuner would deliver - would be an outright alcoholic I would imagine.
The SA told us about 6-7kmpl is realistic in Bangalore. Its comparable to Tiguan I guess. Given the hybrid work future, it actually is going to get more common IMO - we discussed a fair bit actually.

He will drive the car for max 50kms on week days and maybe another 50kms on most weekends and 2-3 or max 4 long drives over a year.
The car will run tops 6000-7000 per year. Doesnt make sense to pay 4 Lakhs upfront and take several years to recover this. Second, petrol is cleaner of the two as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Said this before and say it again - the Fortuner and the Tiguan are not competitors. The Fortuner is a rough road truck - great for folks who are driven through rural India, but with horrible body roll which makes it terrible for anyone who drives or is driven sportily. It is also quite unrefined in my view.

The Tiguan is an urban crossover, extremely refined and comfortable, with limited or negligible body roll, and with an engine (2 l TSI) which beats even the 2 l diesels on a GLC or X3 to the 100 kmph mark. If you need a Fortuner, buy one. But the price is not the reason to choose one over the other.
Fully concur! On the flip side, the Tiguan lacks road presence and reliability (assumed) & the service charges will be a factor of times more than Fortuner.

With lower tyre pressure (28 or 29 max), the ride quality is (barely) livable. I have specifically told my buddy to check the ride with 28 pressure.

Last edited by Eddy : 8th December 2021 at 09:00. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Equus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 09:50   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Data destroys perceptions.

Here's my Toyota Fortuner petrol automatic fuel efficiency for the past 4000 kms.

9.4 kmpl overall, with a best of 11.4 kmpl and a low of 7.2 kmpl. All tankful to tankful. 75% highway, 25% city. Think the manual will do a bit better. The first tankful was the lowest as i was yet to understand how to drive the SUV in the best way possible. One long trip helped.

How do the numbers look for a 2000 kg behemoth?

I believe for sedate drivers looking for a comfortable 7 seater petrol tourer that had decent ground clearance and does not yet have a taxi image, the Fortuner petrol is a great choice. Maybe i will put together an ownership thread on this rare beast.
Attached Thumbnails
VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021-fortuner_petrol_fuelio_1.jpg  

VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021-fortuner_petrol_fuelio_2.jpg  

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 8th December 2021 at 09:54.
achyutaghosh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 10:53   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I am sharing a short comparison of the SUVs in the 30 - 45 L bracket. Clearly each satisfies a different criterion with some being neither here nor there. I am not going to pass any judgement here. I believe I now know what I want to pick up... or do I ?
If you are looking at this price range, I would say add Volvo Xc40 and BMW X1 to the mix as well.
Old 8th December 2021, 11:44   #360
AKB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Honestly, I would take Tiguan@30 lakh type car over XUV@25 lakh type car 100 times out of 100. Especially if it is the primary car. And you don’t need 100,0000 features.

With XUV, Safari etc. I believe the most relevant variants are the mid variants.
You summarized the challenge very well. I would love VW with all its brand and build quality. However, we also realize that the quality gap has narrowed and VW is offering us a car which is a generation old at a price which doesn't feel VFM. It is not about 100,000 features - it is about getting the worth of the money buyer is paying.

Unfortunately, the difference between 38L OTR vs 25 OTR is too much. With glaring omissions in features, it is worse. Not to talk about how VW will depreciate faster.
AKB is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks