Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2021, 14:23   #361
BHPian

Re: VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
So, the facelifted Tiguan misses Powered Co-Driver seat too at those prices!!

Few glaring omissions:
1) No 360 Cam
2) Manual Front passenger seat
3) No connected Car Tech (Taigun gets it)
4) No ventilated Seats (Taigun gets it)
5) No ADAS (yes, I find them useful)
6) No rear blinds
7) No fancy branded audio with sub-woofer setup. Much cheaper cars get it now. (I couldn't verify enough, if it gets one)
Unless someone is a die hard Volkswagen and Tiguan fan, I don't know who in their right mind will buy this car ! Yes sure it's a Volkswagen, driving dynamics and the perceived "build quality" and yada yada but many a cars cheaper than this offer all that plus the above missing features. Heck, I would gladly pick the Skoda Kodiaq or even go for the x1. It just doesn't make sense to shell out 4 million INR for a 5 seater soft roader Volkswagen. Frankly the interiors are nothing to write home about either.
Akshay6988 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 15:55   #362
BHPian

Wow. I got my Tiguan TDI highline in Jan 2020 for lesser than the introductory ex showroom price of the new model. Having one of those rare 'money well spent' smirks right now

The tiguan allspace was also being offered at 34L on road around 10 months ago. Can totally see the big 5-7 lakh discounts happening within a year. So basically, good things comes to those who wait

Also, looks like VW is continuing to cheap out by giving leatherette seats in their so called premium SUVs!

Last edited by vinj14 : 8th December 2021 at 16:01.
vinj14 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 16:01   #363
BHPian

Really disappointed with the price to features ratio. Was expecting something like 32-34 otr for these kinds of features.

It is especially irritating because the Taigun does get a wireless charger and wireless android auto/carplay. Even diamond cut alloys.

Tha fact that it has a heated steering wheel shows us how lazy VW have been while getting the car here.

Even the ARAI claimed mileage is quite a bit lower as compared to the Octavia and Superb with the same engine and gearbox.

The old Tiguan's alloys are also much better looking. What an anticlimax!

We are seriously considering the tiguan and had it been 3-4 lakhs cheaper it would have been a straightforward yes.

But I am having trouble convincing myself to pay what is a serious premium for what is being offered.

We already have a Jetta and a Vento and the family is a fan of VWs. We haven't had any problems with both the cars in a combined 9 years of ownership (touchwood). We wanted to sell our old 7.5 year old Micra and get the Tiguan. Something around 35 L otr but not a sedan since we already have the two.

Are there any discounts on the Citroen C5 that can push it towards this 35 L mark? And is it worth the risk?
sauravpat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 17:44   #364
R_R
BHPian

This is a good vehicle, so I suppose the pricing is understandable, though on the higher side of expectations. The problem, however, is that considering that VW doesn't have a stellar reputation for reliability in general, and Tiguan is routinely considered a problematic one on reliability, and further considering that VW's service network is relatively thin, the general value of the vehicle at this price is suspect, IMHO. I can understand Toyota or Honda or even Hyundai charging premium plus pricing, but I just don't think that VW can successfully imitate them. I am a fan of the Tiguan, and it is (was?) on my very short list for my next vehicle, but I am now not very sure. I can still see this as one choice but it's definitely dropped down from the top spot in my list. All I can say I guess is that I am feeling much more excited about the 2022 Tucson!

Last edited by R_R : 8th December 2021 at 17:45.
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 20:03   #365
BHPian

This is very strange the way folks are comparing Tiguan with Taigun or Kushaq in terms of feature list. Please understand it is not as simple it sounds and how parts and bin component work.

VW twins are made with specific to Indian market with an option to export to some specific countries, hence it gets features that does suit these conditions. Even these twins though locally manufactured with fat profits don't hold a light to Creta or seltos in terms of equipment list.

CKD\CBU vehicles are imported these are purchased from specific factory abroad and against a certain price point. As standard all the VW vehicles are imported from Europe and hence by default some equipment is standard like heated seats. There will be customization / add on options available, but it will also increase the price based on addon opted.

Same has been the case with Octavia, if Skoda opts to add ventilated seats it can be done, but it would be also have to additional equipment in that package and that will increase total cost.

When a vehicle is only brought by any manufacturer to exercise brand positioning and marketing it is never about volumes or the number of units being sold or they are competing with other manufacturers in the market. it's showcasing their product and for limited folks to experience the same. Consider this a limited edition for this year

Manufacturer can pack everything that's in ones wish list, but bigger question is, will the customers pay? If a very well loaded Tiguan ends up 36-37 Lakhs ex-showroom and OTR touching 44-45L how many are even ready to even look at it? Yes this question matters.

These VW vehicles are bought by specific set of folks with certain outlook or view. As an example consider few of these rationale, preference of CBU/CKD build quality or size of this vehicle make it sensible than those big size SUV or there is no 2.0 liter engine SUV below this price range or exclusivity in the circle or need a soft AWD for just the heck of it. There could be host of other reasons. For fact lot of folks picked up TROC after Taigun was released. It all depends on ones rationale. One size doesn't fit all. Sometimes there is just no logic . Keeping this aside.

Overpriced? Hell yes and also misses some features, but do expect discounts at later stage. Tiguan ALL Space is a very good example. It was never selling big number until discounts were offered an year later. Same is story is Audi A4.

Did AllSpace sell later on? Yes it did and it won't be any different story with this one too. Bottom line here is waiting for a price correction might or might not reward you year down the lane in the uncertain environment.

In VW management shoes anyone wouldn't have price this any lower at launch unless they don't love their job.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th December 2021 at 04:56. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
CircleOfLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 21:39   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Overpriced? Hell yes and also misses some features, but do expect discounts at later stage. Tiguan ALL Space is a very good example. It was never selling big number until discounts were offered an year later. Same is story is Audi A4.
Did AllSpace sell later on? Yes it did and it won't be any different story with this one too. Bottom line here is waiting for a price correction might or might not reward you year down the lane in the uncertain environment.
The thing is, it is much easier to price a car lower at the start, and then jack up the prices over time. You sell much more cars that way! Pricing it higher and then offering discounts is never more profitable over the lifetime of the car. So by playing the premium card VAG always misses the opportunity to sell more cars. We have seen it with the Kushaq/Taigun and now the Tiguan. If they want to remain a niche player in the Indian market, then there's nothing wrong with this strategy. But, if they're serious about taking a chunk out of Hyundai, Kia and the likes, smarter pricing decisions will have to be made!
nitkel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 21:57   #367
BHPian

Volkswagen has done a great favour by pricing this at 32 lakhs.

If it was something like 27-28 lakhs, I would have been tempted to test drive the car and decide if it makes sense to cancel my (very delayed) XUV booking and 'upgrade' to this smaller but somewhat more premium car. Thanks Volkswagen for saving my time and energy !

I suspect they are going to repeat the ridiculous pricing with the Kodiaq and save even more of my time.
yogishkamath is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 00:02   #368
BHPian

It’ll be interesting when the new Tucson launches. That’s when the big discounts will start rolling in. Even for the Citroen C5. At this rate, I somehow feel the C5 is a better buy. Superior ride as per reviews, better diesel FE and overall the interior looks better and spacious than the Tiguan. Maybe the black interiors in Tiguan are playing a trick but still looks smallish at the rear.
Old 9th December 2021, 02:11   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
-20 marks to Volkswagen and/or their web team for using misleading LHD and RHD representation and floating around pictures and equipment which they had no intention of launching in India.
It just puzzles me to see the continuous Gaffes by the VW marketing team in every aspect including their most important recent Taigun launch & variants. Looks like it is being run by a bunch of amateurs and folks who are just not passionate about automobiles. Look at their TV ads and choice of brand ambassador in India. VW has such a strong brand team globally. I am a Jetta owner and have been literally chasing them about the Tiguan as an upgrade. They dont even respond back both at dealership level and even their Social media handles send standard replies. If you cant hold onto what you have how will you get new customers ? . How come VW India Mgmt & such folks are not held accountable by their global teams is bewildering or are we being too harsh as enthusiasts ?
MadHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 08:02   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
It’ll be interesting when the new Tucson launches. That’s when the big discounts will start rolling in. Even for the Citroen C5. At this rate, I somehow feel the C5 is a better buy. Superior ride as per reviews, better diesel FE and overall the interior looks better and spacious than the Tiguan. Maybe the black interiors in Tiguan are playing a trick but still looks smallish at the rear.
While, I have not seen the new Tiguan, the C5 looks small in comparison to older Tiguan. The fact of good diesel and GB in C5 along with ride quality is a good positive, the lack of dealership and extent of service and spare support will deter any person investing 40 L. While VW service has its share of issues, its been around for a decade in India and has penetrated most of T2 towns and to some extent T3 towns also which gives me an assurance to pick Tiguan over C5
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 08:31   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Even for the Citroen C5. At this rate, I somehow feel the C5 is a better buy. Superior ride as per reviews, better diesel FE and overall the interior looks better and spacious than the Tiguan.
Citroen C5 looks smaller on road when compared to Tiguan, is not as spacious at the rear, has average handling with decent amount of body roll. Add to this, Citroen has increased prices by 1.4L to the already expensive 32.8L ex price which makes it almost 2.2L costly than Tiguan. Tiguan looks elegant and has a no-nonsense design like most of the VWs along with best in class handling.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 09:25   #372
BHPian

This is an amazing opportunity for Hyundai to bring their next generation Tucson on priority and Kia to bring their Sportage. On flip side, i was really hoping there is good competition to Korean siblings. The only way this will now happen is when discounts start on Tiguan . Citroen might benefit to a certain extent till launch happens.
neel911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 09:28   #373
Senior - BHPian

The fundamental issue is not the pricing, but

Lack of distinct identity
Of course, everyone will recognise Tiguan as Volkswagon, just by a cursory look. But how many can identify it as Tiguan, a 40 Lakh car, without reading the badge? And how many will mistake the name to be Taigun?

It is not feature packed
What is a user's motivation to buy it, when one can get better equipped car as same or lower price point. Alternatively, one can get a better equipped and premium badge at slightly higher price.

With both above, the Tiguan will drop off from the radar of potential buyers.
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 10:01   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if new Tucson will be priced similar to Tiguan or closer. Also Hyundai doesn't have the pull at that price range, else a competent product like current gen Tucson should have seen more numbers.
From my limited driving of C5, it did not feel very sporty to drive where as Tiguan will be more fun to drive (based on my experience with previous gen). The obvious downside of Tiguan is not having Diesel engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
The fundamental issue is not the pricing, but

Lack of distinct identity
Of course, everyone will recognise Tiguan as Volkswagon, just by a cursory look. But how many can identify it as Tiguan, a 40 Lakh car, without reading the badge? And how many will mistake the name to be Taigun?
Precisely the reason I would buy that if in market with that budget. Clean, elegant and understated design. And chances of people mistaking Tiguan with Taigun is actually lesser than Creta over Tucson, X1 over X3 etc. Design elements might be same but Tiguan is easily bigger in dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post

It is not feature packed
What is a user's motivation to buy it, when one can get better equipped car as same or lower price point. Alternatively, one can get a better equipped and premium badge at slightly higher price.
Agree, they mixed up on many basic features which is provided at lower price points. But still with a budget of 40 lakhs if I need a decently powerful crossover with AWD, fun to drive, spacious, with good build quality inside out Tiguan makes a case for itself.

Pricing is a different topic altogether, as mentioned on one of my earlier post almost all cars are overpriced now and VFM depends on the buyer based on their priority. To me personally, this would have been the definite buy if I need a crossover (though I like the VAG TDI more than TSI) with a budget of up to 50 lakhs, irrespective of the current price.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 10:34   #375
Team-BHP Support

I think what might muddy the pitch for the Tiguan is also the upcoming Jeep Meridian, which is likely to be a hint plusher than the Compass, probably more spacious to Tiguan (closer to Allspace territory), with a competent diesel A/T which is almost as powerful.

So in 2022 in the 34 - 45L on road segment, basically customers will now have the following choices, listed roughly in increasing order of ball park expected pricing.

(I am listing the more appropriate monocoques only and not BOFs like Fortuner or Alturas etc.)

1. Jeep Compass
2. All new Tucson
3. VW Tiguan
4. Jeep Meridian
5. Skoda Kodiaq

If compact size is not an issue, both the Compass and Tiguan make a strong case - the Tiguan is obviously pricier and petrol only but definitely plusher and better to drive; the Compass on the other hand is diesel, arguably more capable 4x4 and decent enough as well, with internal space being its biggest nemesis.

Once you reach Tiguan territory though, unless you specifically want the dimensions of the Tiguan in favour of slightly larger offerings, the Kodiaq and Meridian start making a strong case for themselves. I do feel that someone who's plonking close to 40L on road is not going to per se balk at the extra 3 - 5 lakh for the latter options. The Tiguan kind of falls in a really niche spot in that sense and I feel will feel some pressure from both ends of the spectrum, come next year.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks