Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2021, 00:40   #31
Kln
BHPian

Pleasantly surprised by the Ignis doing 4k+ units this month. Criminally underrated car, to be honest.

Insane numbers by Fortuner as always. Boggles my mind how a 40 lakh car is doing 2k+ numbers *after* a price hike.

Sad to see Honda not simply cars about marketing good cars - Jazz and City are fine products and their numbers don't do any justice to them.
Kln is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 01:14   #32
BHPian

Re: March 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Few observations from my side -
1. The total dispatches for this month (Mar '21) is the second highest ever sales, only after last October (when the total dispatches were 3,33,660 units). While, before the start of 2021, only twice the total dispatches were more than 3L units, however in 2021, all the 3 months till now have dispatches of over 3L units.

2. The astonishing run of Swift and Baleno continues with both crossing 20K units for the second consecutive month and both has sold almost and more than twice their nearest competitors from Hyundai - i10 and i20 respectively and that too with only Petrol engine options.

3. Creta has once again posted its second highest ever sales in a month, after achieving the similar feat last month and it has sold consistently above 12K units in all the 3 months of 2021 till now. While the design may be polarizing, the multiple engine and transmission options have indeed been a hit with the masses. And this has helped Hyundai post its second best ever sales and able to maintain a total sales of more than 50K units every month this year.

4. Seltos, is close on the heels of Creta, by posting above 10K sales for the first time this year, after little subdued sales in the last 6 months. And this has helped Kia to register its best sales this year.

5. And coming to the hottest segment in Indian Automotive scene right now, the age old Brezza is still leading the sales chart with Venue close second and were the only two vehicles to cross 10K units.
  • - However, the star of the segment has been Nexon, registering its best ever monthly sales and has beaten Sonet for the 3rd place. The average sales of Nexon has almost doubled when compared to the pre-facelift version.
  • - Ecosport has sprang a surprise by crossing 5K units after a long time, after May 2018 (5,003 units) and this month's numbers is the best after Jan 2018 (6,833 units).
  • - The newcomers Kiger and Magnite have started off well and in the process pushed the XUV 300 to the last place in the segment (if we consider WRV doesn't belong to this segment).

6. Now, the success story called Tata - keeps beating its own total units sales numbers month after month now for the past 6 months or so and has registered its best ever sales in a long time - after Mar 2012 (36,984 units). Safari have started really well for its segment and along with Harrier shown the way for the Top 2 OEMs on how to sell the premium cars. All their cars has crossed 2K units and Altroz has recorded its best ever monthly sales since launch along with Nexon which too achieved the same feat and all these has helped Tata to near 30K mark and hope they break that barrier next month and maintain it in the future.

7. Harrier + Safari has beaten Hector (+) last month, so what, no problem, says MG. They just registered their best ever monthly sales since their launch in India and first time have crossed 5K units and in the process have beaten their rivals this month with a combined sales of Hector and Hector + with 4,720 units compared to 4,432 units from the Tata Combo.

8. Fortuner has managed to cross 2K units once again this month making it two consecutive months and this has happened after a long time, after Jul-Nov 2017 period when it croseed 2K in all those months. And in response, Endeavor too posted its 3rd best ever monthly sales and also only the 3rd time it crossed 1K units.

9. Sudden dip in City's numbers this month and this has pushed it to 5th place (second last) in the segment, which has helped Verna registering one of its best months in 2 years (after April 2019) and take lead in the segment.

10. Superb's superb run continues, ZS EV posted its best ever monthly sales (again after last month) and a sudden increase in Ignis' numbers offset by sudden dip in Celerio's numbers.
jpcoolguy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 05:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

I see that the Ignis has been receiving fair amount of publicity on the SM platforms as a relatively “safer” Maruti product and seems to have gotten a bit of a second wind. Its really not a bad car considering its size and utility. Somehow it seems to have been sidelined in the halo of its elder siblings like the Wagon R and Swift. It actually straddles across both these products effectively.
Old 8th April 2021, 06:35   #34
KPR
BANNED

Yaris with new reduced pricing is a very good car to buy. But Indians go by the first impression about a car. Slowly that tag has to be removed by Toyota to instill confidence in the car. I won't say sedan category is dying. There are a few who still prefer luxury over high GC. So in our market both can co exist. I'm sure those 5 years+ sub 4m owners will consider a sedan class as an upgrade during next purchase because the figure 4m is the spoilsport here.
KPR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 06:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
Sad to see Honda not simply cars about marketing good cars - Jazz and City are fine products and their numbers don't do any justice to them.
I agree with you. IMHO, Honda in India is not interested to sell or make any efforts to improve the situation. I have not heard any new models coming up except some rumours about City Hybrid (planned later this year). No updates on launching any rival car to compete with Korean siblings for their hot selling cakes (Creta+Seltos, and Venue+Sonet).
fearless_IN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 09:57   #36
BHPian

I am pleased to share the actual MoM Registration data of each O&M for the year 2021.

Kindly note the numbers mentioned in TATA Motors also include commercial vehicles.

Name:  Car1.png
Views: 5377
Size:  43.9 KB

Registration data of Luxury Segment:

Name:  Car2.png
Views: 5289
Size:  8.4 KB

Data sourced from Vahan Dashboard.
IshWish is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 10:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

Great results for Tata Motors. Mahindra definitely needs the new XUV and Scorpio to bring in some numbers.
Finally a good month for Ecosport. For Ford, their flagship Endeavour outsells even their sedan and hatchback offerings. Clear sign, that Ford needs to brings in their SUV product to bridge the gap between Ecosport and Endeavour.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 11:50   #38
BANNED

Nexon EV sold 700+ units in March, it's increasing each month on month. Overall sales figures is 4000 units. Hope other manufacturer's wake up to this and deliver more.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 11:56   #39
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless_IN View Post
I agree with you. IMHO, Honda in India is not interested to sell or make any efforts to improve the situation. I have not heard any new models coming up except some rumours about City Hybrid (planned later this year). No updates on launching any rival car to compete with Korean siblings for their hot selling cakes (Creta+Seltos, and Venue+Sonet).
And they refuse to plonk the 1.5 petrol in the WRV, for some reason. The 1.2 petrol in WRV makes it extremely anemic. Such a fine car ruined by a pathetically underpowered engine.

Honda is squandering away all its goodwill earned the hard way over the years. If there were a poll of buyers continuing to buy the same refreshed model, years after years, Honda City would beat all other cars by a mile. Instead of capitalising this goodwill, Honda continues to run on ventilator mode and barely move a muscle.

My wish for Honda would be to see the Jazz at least do 3-4k units per month, like it deserves, but alas. I don't think that's ever happening.
Kln is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 13:54   #40
BHPian

I know this has been discussed to death but unless Honda is willing to cannibalize their portfolio, they have no future in India. Both Honda Jazz and WRV can be revived with 1.5 ltr petrol/diesel with CVT combo and that will increase sales significantly.
swoosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 16:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

New vehicle registrations down by 28.64% in March 2021

According to the data released by the Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA), vehicle registrations fell by 28.64% in March 2021. Overall sales stood at 16,49,678 units, compared to 23,11,687 units in March 2020.

March 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-11.jpg

Tractors and passenger vehicles were the only two categories that saw double-digit growth. According to FADA, this growth can be associated with multiple factors like the low base of last year, the transition from BS4 to BS6 and India going under total lockdown. Further, the shortage of semiconductors resulted in waiting periods as high as 7 months. 47% of dealers said that they lost more than 20% of sales due to supply-side constraints.

March 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

Tractor sales remained strong as rural incomes saw improvements. The segment saw a growth of 29.21% in March 2021. India is expected to witness a normal monsoon this year, which should further boost tractor sales in FY2021-22.

March 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

The 3-wheeler and commercial vehicles segments continued to degrow on a YoY basis.

The outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic has hurt two-wheeler sales. The segment recorded the steepest de-growth in the last few months.

March 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg

Two-wheeler sales decreased by 35.26% to 11,95,445 units compared to the same month the previous year.

March 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-5.jpg

Three-wheeler sales were down by 50.72%. 38,034 units were sold compared to 77,173 units in March 2020.

March 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-6.jpg

Passenger vehicle sales increased by 28.39%. 2,79,745 units were sold compared to 2,17,879 units in March 2020.

March 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-7.jpg

Commercial vehicle sales dropped by 42.20%. 67,372 units were sold in March 2021 compared to 1,16,559 units in the same month of the previous year.
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 19:55   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
I know this has been discussed to death but unless Honda is willing to cannibalize their portfolio, they have no future in India. Both Honda Jazz and WRV can be revived with 1.5 ltr petrol/diesel with CVT combo and that will increase sales significantly.
Let me say it again in case they are reading. Please add 1.5 iVTEC in WRV. See how Ford Ecosport is still doing respectable number after all these years. Give Honda fans one option in the portfolio at least.
pkk077 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 23:08   #43
BHPian

Revenue calculation (approx.) for March month sales have been compiled and shared in this post (Revenue calculation of cars sold in India - How many $$$ each model brings to its maker).

Top 25 Cars based on Revenue (calculated based on 60th Percentile of the Avg. Ex-Showroom Price):

March 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top_25_cars_revenue_mar_21.png

OEM's Volume Market Share Vs Revenue Market Share:

Name:  OEM_Market_Share_Mar_21.png
Views: 3722
Size:  39.0 KB
jpcoolguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 23:20   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkk077 View Post
Let me say it again in case they are reading. Please add 1.5 iVTEC in WRV. See how Ford Ecosport is still doing respectable number after all these years. Give Honda fans one option in the portfolio at least.
Still no one will buy it, sorry.

Drive it and you will know that engine is the least of it's worries, it's just not honda enough for your money, just like Brio, just like BRV, just like Amaze. They feel a bit low budget inside out.
Old 9th April 2021, 00:09   #45
Kln
BHPian

I feel a lot of potential buyers entering Honda dealers with money in their pockets to buy the WRV, leave it disappointed after driving the 1.2 petrol. It's a horrible, horrible engine to plonk into a crossover that's nearly 1.1 tonnes on road. Fun fact - WRV shares most of its interiors with the Jazz. You could in fact swap floor mats and window shades between the two cars, and they'd fit perfectly. So it isn't the interiors that are the problem. Hondas' USP in my opinion is their drivability. You just *enjoy* driving the car. WRV petrol feels like an asthmatic gasping for air, and the monthly sales figures speak for themselves. Honda should aggressively start marketing the Jazz to anyone who as much as searches for i20/Baleno/Tiago/Kiger/Magnite and plonk the super fun 1.5 petrol into the WRV. Else we're sadly looking at another Japanese maker dying at the Korean altar.
Kln is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks