Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2021, 22:33   #61
BHPian

Re: March 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I won't be surprised if Honda pulls up from India in the next 5-10 years. They are going downhill for the last 5 years or so. It's disappointing, to say the least, considering they are in the market for over 2 decades and still aren't able to crack it. New entrants like Kia and MG are making merry. I think they don't have any vision for the Market. City & Amaze are the only 2 good mass-market products they have and I'm not sure how long they will be able to milk both of them. City has already lost its aspirational value amidst all the C-SUV/Crossovers craze. Amaze will always face still competition from Dzire.
Old 9th April 2021, 22:50   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a shame that our market bought this beauty less than 1000 units last month and prefered more expensive raised hatchback 12 times as much.

March 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-img_20210405_184804736.jpg

C2 sedans are underrated, atleast in my state where there isn't need for enormous ground clearance, in my experience.

I tried convincing my friend to buy the city, but somehow he ended up choosing the EcoSport, for that "view" from driver seat and ground clearance.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 9th April 2021 at 22:52.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 01:03   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
It's a shame that our market bought this beauty less than 1000 units last month and prefered more expensive raised hatchback 12 times as much.
At least in Mumbai and Kerala dealerships. new City is not available in stock. Honda has been affected badly due to semiconductor shortage. I've been trying to get hold of V CVT from past 2 months. Thanks to the non availability, I started looking at alternate options like Yaris. This was the first time I checked out Yaris J OPT CVT, it never looked like a compromise when compared to City. I really liked the build quality , interior quality, cooled glovebox , suspension and even the heat resistant glass that Toyota provides in a base automatic (which is 3.5 lakhs cheaper than city-v automatic)
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 11:02   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subramaniamj View Post
and a few missing no-brainers (such as Brezza AT).
I just bought a Brezza AT couple of months back. It's very much available.
Old 10th April 2021, 11:14   #65
Senior - BHPian

Honda should discontinue 4th gen City and launch a variant of the 5th gen City in its place. The V variant has a lot of features that can be removed to create a new entry level variant.
Old 10th April 2021, 11:25   #66
BHPian

Not surprised with Tata performance. Had a pleasant experience with their dealership recently. Prompt in getting the vehicle for TD (tried Safari), encouraging longer drives and bad patches, candid answers and no over-selling. Much better overall compared to how it used to be earlier.

They certainly have better products now and probably improved dealership experience is also helping them.
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 11:59   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subramaniamj View Post
A good, steady trend upward in the overall sales - around 2%, healthy signs of the market regaining traction.

Maruti - Flattening around 43 - 45% for the past few months. I'd see this as the start of a trend against MSIL which could be due to the lack of Diesel offerings...
The fact is Suzuki is selling whatever they can produce and they have a scary waiting period as well. With their lines getting operational in Gujarat, they should have higher sales next year if demand holds and I see no reason why it shouldn't as fundamentals have not changed.
Suzuki market share always dips during a sales boom as market size increases. Also, considering a loss of 40000 no.s owing to OEM sales, the numbers wouldn't worry Suzuki too much. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bring back Diesel ever again. They anyways have Toyota's Hybrid power train to take care of "Higher-end -Non-Diesel-Loving-Different-Powertrain-Seeker".
Old 10th April 2021, 12:19   #68
BHPian

Tata on Fire & wish them all the success, hope they work on creating positive perception about their after sales too

What happened here to Honda City, sudden freefall.

Renault silently gaining traction with addition of Kiger in the arsenal & Nissan has earned an extra life as in video games courtesy Magnite, hope they make optimum use of this.

Ecosport just deserves a grand salute.

Hyundai is like the snowball getting bigger and bigger with every launch & Alcazar already has success written all over it making this rolling ball gather more mass & its sister Kia, keenly following her footsteps.

Maruti's & Fortuner's don't deserve any additional footage in posts, they just do what they have been doing i.e Ruling
Old 11th April 2021, 08:10   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Revenue calculation (approx.) for March month sales have been compiled and shared.
Hi JP. I see a problem with Harrier and Safari ex showroom prices. The cheapest Harrier is 13.99 lakhs ex showroom price. You have considered it 11.xx. This would mean even the Safari ex showroom prices are higher. Is this an error or am I missing something? Thanks.
Old 11th April 2021, 08:52   #70
BHPian

Quote:
+1 . My uncle(a strict sedan guy) bought new city manual and it was amazing to drive. I love sedans and was eyeing for Octavia. Road condition after monsoon is one of the most important reason that we went with Harrier. To mitigate the anxiety of hitting underbody during night time and get stranded

We have travelled extensively in South, and the roads in Tamil Nadu are extremely good. Even state highways and inner roads are so good. Then comes Karnataka and Andra. I love doing road-trip in Tamilnadu with those filter coffe , idly, dosa & curd rice. It seems in Tamilnadu farmers are more empowered and rich compared to North and Central India (my experience is limited to MP, UP and MH)
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 10:05   #71
BHPian

Quote:

I tried convincing my friend to buy the city, but somehow he ended up choosing the EcoSport, for that "view" from driver seat and ground clearance.
That's where the market is heading, I was listening to a few automobile journalists in YouTube, and they were quite confident in saying that the SUV's are the "Next big thing". Poor road quality, lack of ground clearance (expected for sedans) and people liking to ride with a higher stance and most importantly the accessibility (or affordability) to SVUs being the biggest drivers for its performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
I just bought a Brezza AT couple of months back. It's very much available.
Apologies for the miscommunication - Should have proof read and corrected it. Thanks for pointing out

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
+1 . My uncle(a strict sedan guy) bought new city manual and it was amazing to drive. I love sedans and was eyeing for Octavia. Road condition after monsoon is one of the most important reason that we went with Harrier. To mitigate the anxiety of hitting underbody during night time and get stranded

We have travelled extensively in South, and the roads in Tamil Nadu are extremely good. Even state highways and inner roads are so good. Then comes Karnataka and Andra. I love doing road-trip in Tamilnadu with those filter coffe , idly, dosa & curd rice. It seems in Tamilnadu farmers are more empowered and rich compared to North and Central India (my experience is limited to MP, UP and MH)
There is nothing beating City's comfort. We once travelled from Tirunelveli to Kochi (around 370 Km) in one stretch without any stoppage, and still, we were fresh at the end of the journey. Same with a Bangalore - Kochi drive - Provided the roads are good and you're not scratching the underbody.
subramaniamj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 15:35   #72
BHPian

Honestly, very surprised but very happy at the Harrier and Safari sales. Really thought the combo would be recording sales of 2500 units with Harrier leading the duo but 4k is a solid number.

Another car that surprised me is Kiger. It's just second month alright but still Kiger is close to 4K units and maybe Kiger in the future will help Renault leapfrog Toyota's numbers on the charts? Does anyone know the booking numbers are for Kiger? Has Renault released any data on this? Whether Kiger can sustain the momentum in the upcoming months will be a critical question. As highlighted by someone else in this thread, Nissan seems to be content with 3K figure or thereabout..so much talk of the booking numbers but it looks like Kiger is silently stealing the show and maybe eating into Magnite's numbers.
Old 11th April 2021, 17:05   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmeter View Post
it looks like Kiger is silently stealing the show and maybe eating into Magnite's numbers.
It might look like Kiger is doing well in comparison with Magnite. But when you compare it with the age old EcoSport, which badly needs a new generation update , but even then sells 5000 units, the Kiger feels like a flop.

Yes, flop is a rather harsh word, but look at the C-SUV space, the EcoSport is a slower seller when you see Nexon, Venue, Sonet and Brezza which do better numbers than the Ford.

Only reason Renault can have for such numbers of Kiger can be their manufacturing capacity not being able to roll out more than 4k units a month. Else, this number will go south with time.
As a person who just went through testdrives of all C-SUVs last week, I would say Kiger is an impressive product, with catchy looks, excellent space management, nice engine, big boot and very good vfm price tag. But there are better products in the segment which have better gearbox, better performance, better fuel efficiencies, better handling, better NVH etc.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 11th April 2021 at 17:06.
Old 11th April 2021, 19:32   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Just curious - why is the Amaze, the largest selling Honda? Is it the diesel mill and CVT combo?
It is a great car. It looks nice, it is spacious and it is affordable. It gets good mileage and overall it is a good package.
Old 11th April 2021, 20:25   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

C2 sedans are underrated, atleast in my state where there isn't need for enormous ground clearance, in my experience.

As much as I appreciate the City as a past owner, I have no sympathy for Honda India which simply doesnt want to compete strongly enough DESPITE having the brand image. Its shocking that they have not yet thought of getting a competitive CSUV product.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks