Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2022, 06:29   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
- Bigger glove box, adjustable headrest for the 2nd row middle occupant,
Since the dashboard is the same, glovebox may not be any different. Though there is more storage option in the centre console now thanks to the armrest console. Adjustable headrest for the middle passenger in 2nd row? Looking at the XUV700 and ScorpioN, guess the XUV300 might be the last Mahindra to have got all three headrests in the 2nd row for a long time.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 19:43   #242
BHPian

Seeing the New Mahindra THAR 5-door gives me the shivers that the old Bolero (Power+) might be discontinued in favor of the Bolero NEO (formerly known as TUV300) and upcoming new 5-door THAR. If the Bolero Power+ is phased out it will be end of the Willys Jeep/MM540, lineage (technically speaking).

Nevertheless, I guess the Bolero will continue to be sold in another form, in the commercial Pik-ups industry, until safety and emission regulations push it to be phased out. In my view developing the next generation of Bolero Power+ would be fraught with challenges like heavy competition from models like Ertiga.

If I think with the head, I know the Bolero Power+ has to be phased out in the not so distant future. But if I think with the heart, you never want to part with a model which has been around for most of our life time.
Old 21st December 2022, 10:52   #243
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5-door continues testing in ooty.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20221221105021_instagram.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20221221105031_instagram.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20221221105043_instagram.jpg

Source : MotorBeam
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 11:32   #244
Senior - BHPian

I am unable to spot rear wash wipe even in this variant. How difficult it would be for Mahindra to have it in the hard top please? I am sure it may need some additional engineering, but it is a must have feature please.
amtak is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 12:14   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I am unable to spot rear wash wipe even in this variant. How difficult it would be for Mahindra to have it in the hard top please? I am sure it may need some additional engineering, but it is a must have feature please.
And they don't even have the excuse of the soft top/ convertible.

Pity they didn't get inspired from the Wrangler in this case.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 12:24   #246
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
In the Wrangler there is a channel in-between the layers of the hard top, which goes along one side, through which channel, the water hose pipe and electrical wires are fed.
These subsequently are connected to the rear wiper and the motor housing which is located at the tail. This also feeds the applicable wire to the rear view camera and high mount stop lamp. Notice for example where the rear view camera is located in a Wrangler. It is actually on that spare wheel mount.
All these well thought and engineered intricacies don’t exist in the Thar Hardtop. This is one of the reasons why this feature doesn't yet exist in the Thar. Basically the Mahindra boys (or girl) have just copied as much as they could to make sure the vehicle appeals visually to the buyer. And they succeeded in spades!
But they are short sighted, because as Ive said before, they should have also copied all the functional designs and interior space design too.
But then, they would not have wanted to soend so much in designing or executing this vehicle, since it engineered to a ‘cost’ so as to appeal to and be afforded by the maximum number of people in the Indian mass market.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 18:09   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5-door will not get the Watts links suspension from Scorpio N.

Quote:
Rather, the SUV appears to have a heavily revised version of the conventional multilink suspension from the existing three-door Thar
Quote:
It will not get the Watts link suspension from Mahindra Scorpio N.
Watts link suspension in Scorpio N limits side-to-side motion at the rear significantly
Name:  63a2e2ade081e_720x540.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  83.8 KB

Quote:
the five-door variant of the Thar will continue to use the multi-link suspension setup, which is the same as the smaller three-door model. However, the suspension isn’t exactly the same as the three-door model from the looks of it. So, expect the five-door model to have different characteristics than the smaller SUV, which has plenty of side-to-side and bobbing movements.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st December 2022 at 18:12.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 01:04   #248
BHPian

I really enjoyed the video by Talking Cars. One difference I noted between the test mule they spotted and the others was that this one had the rear fender removed, perhaps to hide the different shape. It looked like the mules seen previously had a more squared off rear fenders.

The handbrake is on the passenger side, as opposed to the 3 door model which has it on the driver side of the centre console.

I'm glad that there is finally an option for grab handles on the A-Pillar, like in the Scorpio N. There are grab handles on the roof for passengers as well, on both rows. The rear door glass is split almost down the middle, and the rear half is fixed, due to the small doors and large cutout for the rear fender. The boot space as shown is also very good.

Looking closely at the fuel filler lid, there doesn't seem to be a key hole I guess there isn't a need for it, with the fixed hard top. In the same view, the top edge of the rear door seems to be chamfered and not a right angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra Thar 5-door will not get the Watts links suspension from Scorpio N.

Attachment 2392724

Link
There is an additional linkage seen in the 5 door Thar. Looks like a rear sway bar. That should reduce the roll at the rear. Perhaps the increased weight at the rear makes it necessary.

From what I got from googling, the rear sway bar and the watts linkage are meant to solve different issues. The sway bars keep the car from rolling, while the Watts linkage keeps the rear end from moving side to side. I guess that for an off-road focused vehicle, reducing the side-to-side movement isn't such a priority. This is a good differentiator between the ScorpioN and the Thar 5D, IMO.
vivekgk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 08:36   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
There is an additional linkage seen in the 5 door Thar. Looks like a rear sway bar. That should reduce the roll at the rear. Perhaps the increased weight at the rear makes it necessary.

From what I got from googling, the rear sway bar and the watts linkage are meant to solve different issues. The sway bars keep the car from rolling, while the Watts linkage keeps the rear end from moving side to side. I guess that for an off-road focused vehicle, reducing the side-to-side movement isn't such a priority. This is a good differentiator between the ScorpioN and the Thar 5D, IMO.
They had moved to a coil spring rear end long time ago perhaps around the 06-09 time period, I don't remember exactly, different iterations of that setup can be seen from then on. Depending on the packaging the anti-roll bar can be ahead or behind the rear axle. Even the leaf spring equipped vehicles like Bolero XL has anti-roll bar however not all models will have it, all based on need.

Scorpio N uses a Watts linkage only because of the speed it can carry, at that speed small lateral movements can ruin the otherwise premium ambience of the vehicle , the alternative wil be to go for fully independent rear end like that of XUV. The sideways kick from the rear end will always be there , now less due to FSD, perhaps an adaptive air suspension will be the only solution.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 22:24   #250
BHPian

The Talking Cars video mentions that the rear fuel tank and pump area is unprotected. However, in the pic, you can see four white plastic/nylon bushi like things that seem to be mounting points, possibly for a bash plate or a guard. Still, I don't understand why this is needed. Why would they place the pump at the bottom? Better fuel feed during off-roading maneuvers? This does not seem like an accident, especially considering how far Mahindra's engineering has come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
They had moved to a coil spring rear end long time ago perhaps around the 06-09 time period, I don't remember exactly, different iterations of that setup can be seen from then on.
I'm pretty sure that the earliest Scorpios were leaf sprung and had terrible ride quality compared to the Safari, its rival. I think it wasn't until 2006 that they switched to coil spring setup. And from then, Mahindra has continuously improved their ride quality, but it still couldn't touch the Safari or Aria/Hexa. Even the ScorpioN's ride isn't a match for the Hexa, apparently. But I'm betting that the handling is a different matter, especially at high speeds.

Quote:
Scorpio N uses a Watts linkage only because of the speed it can carry, at that speed small lateral movements can ruin the otherwise premium ambience of the vehicle , the alternative wil be to go for fully independent rear end like that of XUV.
True. Which is why I doubt that the Thar 5D will be offered in the same state of tune as the ScorpioN. I'm estimating about 150BHP for Petrol as well as Diesel.

Now that the Thar 3D has been revealed in the RWD only model with the 1.5 diesel, I am sure that the 5D will have a 2WD only variant as well. It actually makes good business sense. I expect it will have the same mHawk as the 4Wd though, as it won't be able to take advantage of the 4m rule. If my car hadn't already been finalised, I would have been tempted by the 3D diesel automatic, impractical as it may be.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 17:02   #251
BHPian

The Thar can never be a family car, can it ? It was never meant to be one. Mahindra is just doing a Maruti which plonked their DDS engine on every car they could lay their hands on. The only difference is they are putting the ladder and frame to every other shape and form. Reminds me of the sequel rush in the movie industry. But the trend in India today is: you launch any car in India, 50000 bookings are guaranteed. Enthusiasm or dumbness?
TopLiveCentre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 21:45   #252
BHPian

This particular angle seems to show the size correctly. Looks impressive though.

Source: https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...N&ceid=IN%3Aen
Attached Thumbnails
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-ad16ee0791bd4bf48fd7261588e0f47d.jpeg  

sheelapratosh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 04:35   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
This particular angle seems to show the size correctly. ...
From the pic:
1. The rear overhang looks lesser than the Scorpio-N, while it will have better departure angle, the luggage space behind the second row is going to be lesser than the Scorpio-N.

2. The Windshield rake angle is too upright which will make it more vulnerable to cracking due to stone hits on highways. A lesser rake angle would be more welcome.
for_cars1 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 15:53   #254
BHPian

Any update on the January unveil of 5 door Thar which Motorbeam had reported? I think RWD Thar was their priority to counter unveil of Jimny. 5 door Thar unveil may still be minimum 2-3 months away.

Source - Motorbeam
Old 17th January 2023, 16:12   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
Any update on the January unveil of 5 door Thar which Motorbeam had reported? I think RWD Thar was their priority to counter unveil of Jimny. 5 door Thar unveil may still be minimum 2-3 months away.

Source - Motorbeam
The article was updated few days back. The January unveil was of the RWD variants and the 5-door Thar is expected only in 2024
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks