Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2023, 10:13   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorablejim View Post

There is absoultely no EMBARGO in selling THAR in any international market especially South Africa.
Jeep stopped them from selling the Thar in Australia too.

Source: drive.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
Do people really want a non-jeep looking Thar?

On the other hand I wonder if Roxor/Thar really cannibilises Wrangler sale. If at all most Thar owners are prospective Wrangler buyers. I would if I could
You're right. The Wrangler's classic looks has been a major reason.

But, as Mahindra grows in the international markets, IMHO it has to create a brand identity of its own.

The Thar / Roxor is a solid package, when it comes to engines, off road capability and above all, affordability.

Mahindra has a brilliant design team, being led by Pratap Bose. They own Pininfarina. Its time they create a modern classic of their own and let go of the Jeep clone tag, once and for all.

Again, in my personal opinion, the first gen Invader was a step in the right direction, but then they lost the plot. Had they been consistent with it, the Invader's latest generation would have had its own identity and its own fan following by now. And it would have been selling everywhere across the world.

The latest design sketches of the Bolero pickup, even with its commercial purpose, look cool. With a tilt towards the lifestyle image, it would have been even better.

Again, Mahindra needs to chart a design language of its own and shed the Jeep clone and the seven slats for good.
Attached Thumbnails
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-images-13.jpeg  

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-bolero-maxx.jpg  

Attached Images

ashutoshb is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 10:34   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Jeep=Mahindra, as long as it looks like a Mahindra, that would do.

Wrangler has a few problems that those who can pay for it understood very well, it comes with solid axles , slow steering and an overall suspension and drivetrain that is more suitable in America than India, you won't feel that there is anything in there that is worth the premium you paid for it. so the affluent off-road crowd has already chosen their premium off-road vehicle - Defender.

Those who don't want to spend so much already knows that Thar is fast, agile and can deal with the worst of city traffic , fast highway driving as well as off-road driving - what more do we need?!

So Wrangler isn't as desirable as many would think, at least in our market and Thar , well that's not something to debate anymore.
In US market, the prices of Wrangler and Defender overlap quite a bit. The real affluent ones go for Merc G63 which is significantly pricier than Defender. The real off-road enthusiasts are split between Wrangler and 4Runner and I see less Defenders in the California/Nevada/Utah off-roading circuits. Infact, I have driven both Wrangler and 4Runner in the famous off-road trails of Canyonlands national park in Utah and I felt the Toyota was more steadier than Wrangler Rubicon. However both of them are not as good for everyday driving even though ton of people use it everyday.

Now coming to the whole issue of FCA feeling Thar looks like Wrangler, I am a bit confused about what the big fuss is all about. Its not like the boxy design is FCA trademark. Infact G63 has a very similar boxy design and it sells side by side with Wrangler. I believe the real issue could be that Mahindra can sell a 5 door Thar very cheap. If they are able to offer even 50% of the feel of a Wrangler for that price, Jeep has a lot to lose.
mchandra13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 12:59   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
I don't understand the logic of having the rear door handle mounted near the windows. It kind of kills the overall look of the vehicle in my opinion.
I noticed the grab handle on the B-Pillar in the latest pics posted above.

A protruding grab handle on the B-Pillar close to the Driver's/co-passenger's head is a safety concern. There is a high risk of the head banging into this protruded grab handle. Mahindra should atleast consider a spring loaded grab handle that autofolds neatly so that this is not a safety hazard.
Old 26th June 2023, 13:38   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Mahindra has a brilliant design team, being led by Pratap Bose. They own Pininfarina. Its time they create a modern classic of their own and let go of the Jeep clone tag, once and for all.

Again, in my personal opinion, the first gen Invader was a step in the right direction, but then they lost the plot. Had they been consistent with it, the Invader's latest generation would have had its own identity and its own fan following by now. And it would have been selling everywhere across the world.

Again, Mahindra needs to chart a design language of its own and shed the Jeep clone and the seven slats for good.
Agree.

I have defended Mahindra's decision to ape the Wrangler, but have also said that it was time they started making their own identity. Most legacy SUV brands trace to the original Jeep, didn't mean they kept on making jeep like products after the first couple of generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Voted No.

Jeep is free to sue Mahindra overseas, but not in India. Mahindra is the reason why the the jeep generic name was kept alive in India. Not being jingoistic, far from it I actually don't like our Indian auto scene. While we liberalised in the early 90s, we actually started having a proper market only by the early 2000s.

Mahindra itself wanted to distance and keep away from the jeep days. That is until Behram sir's parts bin 1st gen Thar exceeded their sales expectations. Quoting myself from the Thar launch thread.
. Let us zoom out a bit. All the other SUVs/ off-roaders had almost half a century for various generations and iterations to shake out the jeep clone past and markets to sell them. In India, less said the better about our lost years thanks to license raj.
In fact, it was only with the Indica, that we seriously started making our own stuff.

IMHO, if the new Thar is a great success and becomes a mainstream purchase, (jeepers don't flame me) by the time the 3rd gen Thar comes out, am sure it would have an individual styling and image. First step in that direction is the plethora of Thar badges, names all over the vehicle. They want the Thar brand to build, not the jeep shape.

Right now, Mahindra wants it to connect with their old jeeps, hence a modernised take on jeep styling. Now there isn't much leeway in modernising a jeep design, without it looking like a Wrangler. Evolutionary design.

If they had simply made a crossover copied directly from something like the Compass, I would call BS

Am sure Mahindra has realised they need to have a cohesive design language. Setting up a design studio in Europe and going on a designer hiring spree are the first steps. When the third gen Thar comes, maybe after a decade, am sure it will have an independent design language. Mahindra has established the Thar brand now. The present gen Thar was the awkward connection between the old jeep legacy and the future Mahindras. There is only so much you could evolve a jeep design. Am pretty sure except for the square headlights in the 80s, a lay person couldn't differentiate all the CJs, TJs, JKs, JLs.

Only natural for Jeep to feel threatened. Unlike Mercedes that could turn a blind eye to the Jimny and all the aftermarket G class convertion kits, the lifestyle image is all that Jeep has got. For all their xxx trail capabilities, they are the butt of jokes in places like West Asia, Africa, Australia. Maybe not in a BBC documentaries showing Defenders, but all other wildlife safari videos shows the Bolero pik-up rubbing shoulders with the J70s. So a Thar in foreign markets is really a threat to Jeep.
No one calls the present gen Thar as a jeep. The Thar brand is etched in public's mind, unlike say the 1st gen Thar. So, Mahindra can ditch the jeep styling and make it as an individual rugged macho offroader, and people will still buy the Thar. Something like the sixth generation Ford Bronco or the FJ Cruiser. But if they are planning to milk the brand with a soft crossover, bless them.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 13:52   #380
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I noticed the grab handle on the B-Pillar in the latest pics posted above.

A protruding grab handle on the B-Pillar close to the Driver's/co-passenger's head is a safety concern. There is a high risk of the head banging into this protruded grab handle. Mahindra should atleast consider a spring loaded grab handle that autofolds neatly so that this is not a safety hazard.
This design of grab handle basis what one can see in the pictures is already there in the Jeep Wrangler, Toyota Fortuner, Land Cruiser, Various Ford and GMC trucks etc. Usually these are made of plastic and integrated with the A Pillar and B Pillar trim. The grab handles which are integrated with the A Pillar and B Pillar trim are not a safety hazard.

This is definitely a better option than many of the solid metal after market options that people are buying and retro fitting into their 3 door Thars as we speak. Those are the real safety hazard and also detrimental to the vehicle because some designs may involve some drilling into the A Pillar and B Pillar etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchandra13 View Post
Now coming to the whole issue of FCA feeling Thar looks like Wrangler, I am a bit confused about what the big fuss is all about. Its not like the boxy design is FCA trademark. Infact G63 has a very similar boxy design and it sells side by side with Wrangler. I believe the real issue could be that Mahindra can sell a 5 door Thar very cheap. If they are able to offer even 50% of the feel of a Wrangler for that price, Jeep has a lot to lose.

FCA is angry that Mahindra made the Roxor side by side vehicle and sold it in rural USA. Lots of people find it a refreshingly real value offering compared to the over prices lifestyle vehicles that Jeep now makes and sells.
Its the same dog in the manger attitude that FCA is pushing ref Thar. Yes it is descended from the same DNA. And these Mahindra designers also could have made it ‘look’ a little less ‘Jeepy’ especially around the Grille and riund headlamps and all. But FCA deep down is mainly hassled because the Thar is a cut price Wrangler and will definitely be the go to option for anyone who wants a solid utility vehicle on a budget.
And if one of those off road clubs buy a few and pit the SWB Thar with MLD and BLD and Knobby Tyres against the Wrangler Willys 2 door in serious hard off road terrain, it is quite possible that they may come out equal. At the very least as I have earlier said, people will see the Thar as being able to deliver 80% of Wrangler performance at 20% of the price.
And this will eat seriously into Jeep’s market share in its own ‘home’ market. They simply aren’t able to digest this possibility. And thats very probably why all this fuss.
Me, I am happy with my cut price wannabe Jeep Wrangler in the persona of my Thar!

Last edited by BlackPearl : 26th June 2023 at 14:34. Reason: Merged the posts. Thanks.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 17:17   #381
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I hope they give this a higher state of tune in diesel and position it as their flagship offering in India. Unlike the Alturas, people will be a lot more willing to pay the premium here.
I hope they put some quality into the vehicle and offer a premium product starting aaround 16 and going up to 25 for the top 4wd.

4.3-4.4 meters is the right size imo (which is what most expect the length to be I guess)

Last edited by vij : 26th June 2023 at 17:37.
vij is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 18:46   #382
BHPian

Mahindra update on Thar - launch in 2024 only
Attached Thumbnails
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20230627_184709.jpg  

Last edited by VRSriram : 27th June 2023 at 18:48.
VRSriram is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 12:08   #383
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRSriram View Post
Mahindra update on Thar - launch in 2024 only
This is disappointing. I was hoping to get a peek. Wonder if the unveil is going to be as late as Aug 2024
Old 28th June 2023, 13:12   #384
BHPian

Hmmm. Typical Mahindra, who is famous for knee jerk reactions. How a company can post a media update for something that's going to happen (an unveil) 14 months from now? Whatever I saw in the media post never said anything about 2024 (specific to SA unveil of Thar). It just mentioned Thar will be unveiled in SA in August. Jokers handling the marketing for such a hard built products. Anyway let's cooled down a bit.

Last edited by sgmuser : 28th June 2023 at 13:15.
Old 28th June 2023, 13:58   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRSriram
;Mahindra update on Thar - launch in 2024 only
Guess it could be capacity constraints. Maybe they are expecting the product to be as successful as their earlier launches. With an average of 12-18 month waiting period for their current lineup, they don't want get into a space where the product is available, but the customer should wait an eternity to get his/her hand on the vehicle.

I am still thinking, it could be Republic Day of 2024 rather than August, unless they have a ton of testing to be done.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th June 2023 at 14:08. Reason: Fixing quotes
diwakarmuthu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 03:20   #386

What are the expected/speculated prices for the 4x2 and 4x4 models?

If the LX petrol variant on road prices go north of 19 L on road, then I would like to reconsider my decision and look into the territory of XUV 700.....
Old 9th July 2023, 13:20   #387
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeshkumark82 View Post
If the LX petrol variant on road prices go north of 19 L on road, then I would like to reconsider my decision and look into the territory of XUV 700.....
You better go today and book an XUV700 .

The Thar RWD LX Hard-Top 4x2 costs 17-lakhs on-road in Coimbatore. 2 more doors, a metal top, a 3rd-row of seats, possibly higher powered engines and Mahindra wanting to protect the Scorpio-N means there is no way a 4-door Thar top-end Petrol will be 19-lakhs on-road. My cousin recently bought a Brezza AT top-variant for 16 on-road.

Get that XUV700 as its prices will only rise next year (or by the time you get delivery).
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 08:47   #388
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeshkumark82 View Post
What are the expected/speculated prices for the 4x2 and 4x4 models?

IMO the top end Thar will only be priced slightly lower than top end scorpio N- and will be north of 25 lac otr

Top end vehicles of Thar, scorpio N and XUV are not going to be that far apart imo.
vij is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 16:41   #389
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5-door testing continues, more pictures.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20230724163801_instagram.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20230724163808_instagram.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20230724163817_instagram.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20230724163825_instagram.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20230724163834_instagram.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20230724163848_instagram.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20230724163905_instagram.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 18:21   #390
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Spotted one last Saturday when on a short drive on the highway. Didnt photograph it.
But later the same day my friend Bibendum our fellow member, sent me a photo of it, taken by someone else. And he sent a few more too.
Im wondering how long do they plan to test these things for before launching them? Especially considering that the 3 door sibling has been in the market nearly 3 years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-501187bdb0944293b455cc2a129a2468.jpeg  

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-fbbe77b38bee40819d0b13b1b3b7f24c.jpeg  

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-b7d8a86e3666429591df707dea1b4996.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks