Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2023, 14:55   #421
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Are you seeing any issues related to ageing on the Thar?

In other words, the vehicle has not aged or looks any different from the day I took delivery 33 months and 55k KM ago, and I'm curious to know if others are seeing things falling apart so that I can keep an eye out.
Mine is a Feb 2021 Thar. No niggles. No hassles. No visible signs of ageing and things falling apart anywhere. Its a solid, tough vehicle, which is exactly what it always promised to be.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 15:32   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Are you seeing any issues related to ageing on the Thar?

Mine's 2020-Nov delivered, and it's held up pretty well in spite of 55,000 KM on the ODO and my off/ rough road tortures, carrying prerty heavy loads, etc. No rattles, all the plastic are like they were when new.

I had one major niggle in the first 2 months of ownership, the only other recurring irritant is Android Auto disconnects. The tyres are almost at their end of usable life, that's the only expense I'll be making apart from the regular services (and the mods/ accessories - of course!).

In other words, the vehicle has not aged or looks any different from the day I took delivery 33 months and 55k KM ago, and I'm curious to know if others are seeing things falling apart so that I can keep an eye out.
I have a 2021 Oct Petrol AT and the only niggle I had was a radiator fan failure. Lucky for me it happened 2 kms from the dealership and they were able to replace the fan in a matter of hours.

Other than that the only gripe I have is the ICE unit, which has some Bluetooth connectivity issues.

Other than that, zero problems and probably going to upgrade to the 5 door variant when it is unveiled.
Cavityavenger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 14:57   #423
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hmm.. What is the so called Negative 'GUNDA' image of the current Thar? It seems more like "sour grapes" image to me.
I'm sure the majority of Thar owners are buying it because they need a capable 4x4er at their homes, and not so that they can try to intimidate puny 2 wheelers and altos on road. 🙄
Kln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 16:06   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
I'm sure the majority of Thar owners are buying it because they need a capable 4x4er at their homes, and not so that they can try to intimidate puny 2 wheelers and altos on road. ��
Not a single thar out of 30 something in my city are used for offroad or on broken roads.

100% of them are with blacked out windows, oversize alloy wheels tyres, at least one light bar& with VIP-VVIP reg. numbers owned by some sort of mafia.

only one vehicle is in stock condition which is a demo car by dealership.

Last edited by jeepster : 6th September 2023 at 16:07.
jeepster is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 17:16   #425
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Not a single thar out of 30 something in my city are used for offroad or on broken roads.

100% of them are with blacked out windows, oversize alloy wheels tyres, at least one light bar& with VIP-VVIP reg. numbers owned by some sort of mafia.

only one vehicle is in stock condition which is a demo car by dealership.
Exactly this. I find it funny when people justify their Thar purchase like "trust me bro I need a Thar bro roads are bad bro". Like no dude, you want a Thar because you think it looks intimidating to others. You don't need a 4x4 car that drives like shit to commute to your 9 to 5 desk job. You need it because you too can feel you're a part of the cool gang. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with it! We all have vanity purchases. But it's hilarious when the justification given is something else
Kln is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 10:44   #426
BHPian

Re: ] XUV700-Inspired Steering Wheel coming to the Mahindra Thar 5-Door

XUV700-Inspired Steering Wheel coming to the Mahindra Thar 5-Door

The Mahindra Thar 5-Door is on its way to showrooms, but you'll have to wait until 2024 to see it in action. As we get closer to the launch date, more information about this off-roader is coming to light, building up the excitement for its arrival.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-thar.jpg

The upcoming Mahindra Thar 5-Door model will feature the same steering wheel design as the XUV700 and will also come equipped with a new touchscreen.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot-20230907-103321.png

The upcoming Thar 5-Door variant will include a sunroof, although it won't be panoramic; it will be a standard sunroof. Anticipate minor dashboard changes and the addition of a new front centre armrest, which was spotted in earlier test versions. Given its larger size compared to the 3-door Thar, Mahindra is likely to provide a 360-degree parking camera for enhanced convenience.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot-20230907-103344.png

The engine options for the upcoming Thar 5-Door model are expected to remain unchanged. It will continue to offer the 2.0-litre turbo petrol and the 2.2-litre diesel engines, along with both manual and automatic transmission choices. Mahindra will also provide both 4x2 and 4x4 variants for customers to select from.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot-20230907-103353.png

Source: https://www.motorbeam.com/mahindra-t...w-touchscreen/

Last edited by MotorDev : 7th September 2023 at 10:49.
MotorDev is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 18:10   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
These are completely different from the current 3 door Thars. From engine tunes to chassis, body and suspension setup. Hence the testing. Also with the sheer number of niggles which are cropping up on the Scorpio N as well as the age related issues coming up on the Thar, they are bound to be a lot more thorough.

Drive a 2 year old 50k normal run toyota and comparing it with a similar run SN or Thar brings out clear lines of distinction of build quality and robustness. Be it interior, body or suspension.
My Thar is holding up pretty well after 34k. My car is completely stock except for underbody protection. For a car that is taken off the road regularly, there are hardly any rattles. To be honest apart from the regular service it does not need much maintenance. Lack of storage is the only irritant.

Apple Car play works flawlessly even with the wireless adapter. Just did 1200km trip last week. Triple digit speeds also do not faze the car.

We have a Crysta and I feel that has more rattles compared to the previous generation Innovas.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th September 2023 at 19:08.
indian21r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 15:38   #428
Kln
BHPian

Re: ] XUV700-Inspired Steering Wheel coming to the Mahindra Thar 5-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDev View Post

Looks like a desi version of Defender 110 with the abrupt rear end. This will sell well just based on how it looks.
Kln is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 15:58   #429
Senior - BHPian

Here's a sneak peek at the interior of the Thar 5-door.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20230913155613_chrome.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20230913155628_chrome.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 22:53   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Cockpit looks identical to the 3-door model except the armrest and the touchscreen ICE.

I hope they give a more powerful tune of the mHawk for this one 130HP/300NM on the 3 door Thar is sufficient for that car, but this one will need an 156 hp tune or ideally 180hp/450 NM one.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 23:37   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Cockpit looks identical to the 3-door model except the armrest and the touchscreen ICE.

I hope they give a more powerful tune of the mHawk for this one 130HP/300NM on the 3 door Thar is sufficient for that car, but this one will need an 156 hp tune or ideally 180hp/450 NM one.
450NM?

Apart from what you've mentioned, cockpit has some other changes as well. Wiper stalks seem different, Steering is completely different. Power window buttons have moved back to door.

Only things which I'd take from this to 3 door are steering and touchscreen.

I am sure these two would trickle down by the end of next year at Karol Bagh.
batish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 08:07   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Here's a sneak peek at the interior of the Thar 5-door.

Attachment 2502992

Attachment 2502993

Source
- Grab Handles
- more toggle switches
Old 15th September 2023, 08:30   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
450NM?
Yes, the very same 2.2 itre mHawk and 6 speed Aisin TC automatic are very much capable of achieving this, as demonstrated in their avatars in the XUV700 Diesel Auto. The 5 door Thar is likely to be significantly heavier than the XUV700 AWD, due to the ladder frame chassis and the full fledged 4X4 system and therefore will need a solid torque punch on road as well as off-road.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 15:52   #434
BHPian

In addition to obvious larger infotainment, Steering wheel, front armrests and A-pillar grab handle, I can also spot two tone interiors and different but better looking B pillar seat belt anchor point. Is that height adjustable as well? I wish B-pillar too gets grab handle for easy climb.

I wish Scorpio-N also starts getting similar B pillar seat belt anchor point rather the cheap plastic cover provided, it ruins the look of otherwise nice looking cabin of Scorpio-N.
varunswnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 19:42   #435

Having a 3-door Thar for almost 2 years I found it impractical at some points which I already knew before buying. The news of 5 door Thar in works make me excited - from then I am following the spyshots and information around it & also reading this thread since then. After having observed all the spied photos noticed many changes, I think almost all details are out now, some of them are shared on this platform and some i want to share in this comprehensive thread.

Starting from the front it now get new redesigned 6 slat grill looking better than the current one.Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot_20231008_145842_gallery.jpg

Headlights have now projector based LED headlights similar to G-Class Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-picsart_231008_162939860.jpg

Fog Lamps are also now LED reflector based
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot_20231008_163700_gallery.jpg

Turn indicator, which was bulb based in current one is now also integrated to single DRL strip, which also doubles up as indicator similar to aftermarket ones.
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-picsart_231008_171114553.jpg
Name:  20231008_171353.gif
Views: 807
Size:  4.52 MB

The front bumper may look similar but is also slightly redesigned around the fog lamps and element below headlights which was grey in initial 2020 Thar. The radiator also now seems relocated a bit higher up.
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231008_171815.jpg

On the side major changes happened - obvious one is the extended wheelbase & addition of a new rear door, which got integrated vertically mounted grab handle.
Name:  20231008_172925.gif
Views: 769
Size:  4.89 MB

The alloys design is also changed & now are diamond cut - size is however the same as before.Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231008_175016.jpg
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231008_175113.jpg

The rear fenders are no more roundish and are now more harmonious with the front one with trapezoid shape.
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231008_175312.jpg

The fuel lid now has electrical opening from inside, as the key hole is no more visible on it. So now no more handing over your key to the guy at fuel pump.
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot_20231008_174607_youtube.jpg

The side step is straight without the raised endings as was the case with the 3 door one. They might change it in the production one.
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-picsart_231008_175935853.jpg

This is the most confusing one as most of the spy pics show rear drum brakes but in three of the cars it seems they have rear disc brakes. Have no idea what Mahindra is planning, but it seems rear discs will be limited to top variants & drums to the lower ones.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231008_180240.jpg
Name:  20231008_180159.png
Views: 755
Size:  264.1 KB
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot_20230924_112252_youtube.jpg

The only part of the puzzle still remaining to be seen in the side profile is the rear quarter panel glass design, which I guess could be similar to the Thar.e concept recently showed without the modular mesh.
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231008_160333.jpg

As the new version now has metal roof option also, Mahindra has put a single pane sunroof which is weirdly placed in the middle of the front & back seats. It will give a good view outside to the rear seat passengers.Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot_20230615_100942_youtube.jpg

From rear it may look similar but has quite small small changes. First one is the increased height from the rear which require larger rear windscreen but Mahindra is still using the 3-door glass for tests and covered the blank space with camoflage, it seems glass will now be integrated with the rear swing door and will be a single piece not the two piece opening in the 3-door one. The rear high mounted stop lamps will be bigger and stretched compared to the new one.Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot_20231008_174702_youtube.jpg
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-images-12.jpeg

It seems it will still have the hard top variant - this spy shot confirms it and the new integrated design.
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231008_181835.jpg

Rear wiper and washer are also present this time around.
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231008_182202.jpg

The rear light may look similar but they have also changed now. The current one has some moulds and dotted LEDs, which could be observed from very close. The new lights have diffused LED and seems a bit slimmer. In the centre of the light there are 3 division with LED indicator in between, brake lamp on top & reverse light at the bottom section, which are also expected to be LEDs. Looks like Thar is no longer written inside the tail-lights.
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-picsart_231008_182532976.jpg
Name:  20231008_171506.gif
Views: 850
Size:  3.66 MB

I may be wrong but I think the central hub portion of the stepney holder now has the rear camera as the rear bumper is exactly same and no provision for the camera has been seen.
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231008_183133.jpg

Interior is where a lot of changes has happened. It now gets grab handles both for front & rear passengers. The steering wheel is now the same as Scorpio N & also the wiper. Light stalks are same as Scorpio-N.
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231008_183536.jpg

The head unit is now larger - could be 9 or 10 inches and I think we can expect all the features of Adrenox connected car. The below spy shot shows there could be an option with the roof liner, A-B-C Pillars with beige colour as is the case with Scorpio-N. Also spotted is the new front arm-rest & provision for 2 cup holders.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231008_190447.jpg

The interior is now dual tone with black and brown similar to Scorpio N. Brown trims would be in door pads, lower portion of dashboard and in armrest.
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot_20231008_174113_youtube.jpg

In the rear now it has rear AC vents, charger slots and now gets a bench seat with armrest in between with 60:40 split folding.Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231008_191510.jpg

The roof speakers are gone, now the rear speakers are integrated in the rear doors & front ones are at the same old location besides glovebox. The roof now has sunglass holder with lights and sunroof controls.
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231008_191751.jpg

The only thing which has not been spied is the automatic climate control option which they might include in production version.

It seems Mahindra has observed all the aftermarket changes people do on their Thar and had tried to provide most of them factory fitted.

All in all Thar 5 Door has all the features of a Scorpio-N barring the 4 explorer modes, front camera, sensors & 3rd row seats. We can say it's a Scorpio-N with Thar styled upper body as the platform is also same as the Scorpio-N. Excited for the launch, which is expected to be on 26th Jan early next year.

Credits to all the persons who takes these spyshots and to all platforms where all these were shared.

(PS:- It's my first post on team-bhp, please ignore if I have made any mistakes here.)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th October 2023 at 11:31. Reason: Clean up edits - language / grammar, typos, formatting, spacing, use of caps etc.
GtRao is offline   (149) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks