Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2023, 11:16   #406
BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahkehs View Post
Also, the previous generation Scorpio was launched with the 120 BHP, 2.2L Mhawk engine and was later given the same tune as XUV500, it also never felt underpowered.
Agree, am using one for the last 14 years. If I have to nit pick, 6 gears to the 2.2 mhawk 2nd gen model would have been great. You feel the engine has capability, but you can't go beyond.
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 13:37   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahkehs View Post
I would like to respectfully disagree. I own and have driven the 2013 XUV500 (with 138 BHP engine and 320 NM Torque) for more than 1 Lakh KMs and it never felt underpowered even with 5 passengers and luggage! Infact XUV500 is able to keep up with latest car of the segment on highways and hills. Also, the previous generation Scorpio was launched with the 120 BHP, 2.2L Mhawk engine and was later given the same tune as XUV500, it also never felt underpowered.
Being underpowered is more a state of comparison. My 90hp i20 never felt underpowered to me until I drove a 190hp X1 over the same roads. I was barely pressing the pedal and it was barely revving up but I was going just as fast as almost going all out on the i20

With the right gearing, you can go up any hill. It's just a matter of want rather than need.
Cresterk is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 19:47   #408
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5-door spied; new exterior details revealed

New spy images of the upcoming Mahindra Thar 5-door have surfaced online, revealing what appears to be the SUV's production-spec bodywork.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-thar1.jpg

The latest test mule of the Thar 5-door was sporting a brand-new grille. As you can see, it's a 6-slat design with a horizontal split in the middle. It is flanked by circular headlamps, with LED daytime running lights positioned on the flared fenders. The chunky front bumper also houses a set of fog lamps.

Mahindra is likely to introduce new 5-spoke alloy wheels on the 5-door version. Eagle-eyed readers will also notice the openable rear windscreen and side steps. Inside, the SUV is expected to get a larger touchscreen head unit.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-thar2.jpg

The Thar 5-door will be offered with the same engine options as the 3-door version. These include a 2.2-litre diesel producing 130 BHP and 300 Nm and a 2.0-litre petrol that makes 150 BHP and 300-320 Nm. Both engines are likely to be offered with 6-speed manual and 6-speed automatic transmissions.

Source: Carversal
TusharK is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 20:06   #409
BHPian

Looks like this time it's going to be factory fitted projector headlamps (resemblance is more similar to Jimny than Wrangler), may be they realized this is one of the biggest modification done by thar owners
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 20:52   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
As per some of the pics shared a few months back it won't. Makes sense too if they want a differentiating factor between the two.
FDD suspension, same as xuv/scorpioN is expected.
Also it may come in higher engine tune as the ScorpioN chassis can support it. The current gen Thar can’t handle that much power due to brakes and chassis being the weak link.
Old 27th August 2023, 23:04   #411
BHPian

Can’t wait for it. If the suspension is a bit softer and the boot space luxurious, I’ll put my money on it. It’s the best vehicle that money can buy. A few good features would be nice - reverse parking camera with moving guidelines or 360 degree view, 9 inch or bigger screen, rear wiper, wireless charging and wireless android auto Apple CarPlay connect. Front and rear ventilated seats. Full flat folding rear seats. I can live with hardtop only version of this vehicle. And a simpler rear door opening.
Optional extras - panoramic sunroof, cooled glovebox, heads up display.
starlord is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 05:57   #412
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Mahindra Thar 5-door spied; new exterior details revealed

New spy images of the upcoming Mahindra Thar 5-door have surfaced online, revealing what appears to be the SUV's production-spec bodywork.
[/url]
This 5 door Thar will be an instant hit. I firmly believe that our Desi Wrangler Unlimited (WRONGLER!) will simply smash all previous records. I am equally sure there will be long waiting periods. But considering that Mahindra has time before the launch, it is better that they stock pile at least 25000 of these so as to begin deliveries asap. Of these definitely atleast 18000 should be Diesel. Because the Petrol engine powering this size and bulk and weight of vehicle will definitely drink a lot of Fuel. I think after this launch the 3 door Thar will lose some resale value.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th August 2023 at 06:00.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 08:30   #413
Kln
BHPian

I think I read on this forum itself that this will be a completely different branding than Thar, and will be fitted with the 2.2 diesel/2.0 petrol engines. If so, then this will be a very compelling package.

Negative 'GUNDA' image of the current Thar apart, it's a great VFM package that sadly doesn't exist any more in today's era.
Kln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 09:58   #414
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Do my eyes spy factory-fitter LED projector headlamps? Finally.

Stock headlamps on the Thar are miserable. Glad that they made the change.
Old 28th August 2023, 14:17   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Do my eyes spy factory-fitter LED projector headlamps? Finally.

Stock headlamps on the Thar are miserable. Glad that they made the change.
Look closely, the fog lamps are also LED!
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 14:27   #416
Senior - BHPian

Stock headlamps on the Thar are miserable. Glad that they made the change.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Look closely, the fog lamps are also LED!
LED headlamps are quite useless in rain and fog as the light easily gets scattered. All that high intensity LED beam ends up dazzling the opposite approaching vehicles and makes it harder for the driver to get a good view as our eyes can't properly see in that low wavelength/high color temperature value light.

The traditional halogens although dim looking fare much better for a purpose built offroader like the Thar in rain and foggy conditions. If the stock halogens are not bright enough, then the better alternative is to go for higher wattage halogens rather than switch to dazzling high Kelvin value LEDs.
Even HID projectors are better than LED projectors. LEDs are just a marketing gimmick promoted as good by sales folks.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 28th August 2023 at 14:35.
for_cars1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 15:26   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
S

The traditional halogens although dim looking fare much better for a purpose built offroader like the Thar in rain and foggy conditions.
If you think the 4 door Thar will be used any significant off roading, you are much more optimistic than I am. It will be used as the cheaper Fortuner & Scorpio with LED light bars and Hella lamps to blind and bully other drivers on the road.
Bhodrolok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 15:46   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
But considering that Mahindra has time before the launch, it is better that they stock pile at least 25000 of these so as to begin deliveries asap.
Then they would need to ramp up their service centres equally to cater to niggles in all these vehicles.

Jokes apart, I think it would be good to ramp up production substantially after a few months, when initial niggles are identified and sorted.
Old 29th August 2023, 09:07   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
Negative 'GUNDA' image of the current Thar apart,
Hmm.. What is the so called Negative 'GUNDA' image of the current Thar? It seems more like "sour grapes" image to me.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 12:18   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Drive a 2 year old 50k normal run toyota and comparing it with a similar run SN or Thar brings out clear lines of distinction of build quality and robustness. Be it interior, body or suspension.
Are you seeing any issues related to ageing on the Thar?

Mine's 2020-Nov delivered, and it's held up pretty well in spite of 55,000 KM on the ODO and my off/ rough road tortures, carrying prerty heavy loads, etc. No rattles, all the plastic are like they were when new.

I had one major niggle in the first 2 months of ownership, the only other recurring irritant is Android Auto disconnects. The tyres are almost at their end of usable life, that's the only expense I'll be making apart from the regular services (and the mods/ accessories - of course!).

In other words, the vehicle has not aged or looks any different from the day I took delivery 33 months and 55k KM ago, and I'm curious to know if others are seeing things falling apart so that I can keep an eye out.
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks