Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2023, 07:24   #436
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtRao View Post
Having a 3 Door Thar for almost 2 years i found it impractical at some points which i do already know before buying.The news of 5 Door Thar in works make me excited, from then i am following the spyshots and information around it & also reading this thread since then. After having observed all the spied photos noticed many changes,I thinks allmost all details are out now, some of them are shared on this platform and some i want to share in this comprehensive thread.

Credits to all the persons who takes these spyshots and to all platforms where all these were shared.
(P.s:- It's my first post on team-bhp, please ignore if i had made any mistakes here.)
Indeed this is a good compilation of most of the observations and pics. Thanks for taking the trouble to do it for our benefit.
And for sure the folks at M&M seem to have listened to what their Thar 3 door customers have been saying from Day 1 and incorporated the necessary improvements into the Thar 5 door. It does look to be a much more practical and stylish go-anywhere Grand Touring vehicle now.

I wonder if they have also included factory fit tumble folding rear seats to massively increase the luggage space. If yes, then it really becomes superbly practical as a family tourer which can double up properly as an utility vehicle.

It will be near-unbeatable in terms of economy, looks, toughness, practicality and utility, timeless style, image and all once they bring the 2WD plus Diesel variant into the market. Truly this will be worthy of becoming the new age Mahindra Armada or Marshal Royale which were more or less the only options available for us in the 1980’s and 1990’s until the Bolero and Scorpio turned up.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 10:32   #437
BHPian

While it is good to see Mahindra incorporating alot of improvements cosmetically, I really hope they improve the car mechanically.

I've had the D HT AT for 2 years and strongly hope they would fix the small niggles in the car like the front tyres rubbing against the stabilizer bar on full lock, radiator vibrating when you've gone through heavy mud and slush, the instrument cluster going blank randomnly, I think more than enough has already been said about ride quality, however I'm guessing the longer wheelbase should improve that alot.

I've been quite seriously contemplating replacing my Thar with the Jimny since I know the 5 door will be out of my budget.
Old 9th October 2023, 11:28   #438
BHPian

Wonder what will the differentiator w.r.t. Scorpio? Will it be engine power?
Since this looks more off road capable, with a metal top, who would choose Scorpio?
Sidban85 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 12:10   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Since this looks more off road capable, with a metal top, who would choose Scorpio?
They picked this off the Maruti book. Maruti sold the Zen Estilo and WagonR alongside

My take is, the ScorpioN and XUV700 are global products and they want to take them international. The Thar 5 Door is mainly there to satisfy a niche that now exists. Imagine customers writing down "I would have bought this if it had 5 doors" on the current Thar feedback form! Mahindra had no clue that more people would be buying the Thar more for its looks than its off-road prowess.
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 12:45   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
..radiator vibrating when you've gone through heavy mud and slush..
This vibration is universal and happens when the mud on the radiator fan creates an imbalance that creates a vibration when the fan rotates at high speeds. Can happen in any vehicle with mud clinging to the radiator fan. Cleaning the mud off the fan and restoring the balance is the only way out.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 12:53   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
This vibration is universal and happens when the mud on the radiator fan creates an imbalance that creates a vibration when the fan rotates at high speeds. Can happen in any vehicle with mud clinging to the radiator fan. Cleaning the mud off the fan and restoring the balance is the only way out.
You are right about the issue happening to any vehicle that has mud clinging to the radiator fan. Its just that I've noticed this to be way more frequent in the Thar and ScorpioNs than I have in fortuners and Isuzu's.
Turbolove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 13:05   #442
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure why Mahindra is taking so much time to launch 5 door Thar. They have 3 door ready and selling in market for 2 years now and launching 5 door should not take this much time for sure. Looks like they are having production capacity issues, just my guess. Lots of people including me are waiting for 5 seater Thar as it becomes more practical and sensible choice. Hope they will launch this soon with good pricing.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 13:18   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... mud clinging to the radiator fan. .. way more frequent in the Thar and ScorpioNs...
Perhaps Mahindra should redesign the radiator fan enclosure to prevent less wet mud from splashing onto the fans.
Old 9th October 2023, 13:27   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I am not sure why Mahindra is taking so much time to launch 5 door Thar.
Sometime in April-June, Mahindra officials had announced that they would not launch the 5 door Thar this year because they focusing on clearing the backlog of the current models on sale (not just Thar, but others too).
Old 9th October 2023, 13:37   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Scorpio N is only a soft roader as the front and rear bumpers can’t be modified plus bigger/better tyre rub the wheel well. Thar 5 door will be mod friendly hardcore offroader.
Old 9th October 2023, 16:23   #446
BHPian

This is the perfect thread to post a pic I clicked. Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-img_8421.jpeg

A Grandson with his Grandpa.
M_Poweredd_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 17:13   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtRao View Post
Having a 3-door Thar for almost 2 years I found it impractical at some points which I already knew before buying. The news of 5 door Thar in works make me excited - I think almost all details are out now, some of them are shared on this platform and some i want to share in this comprehensive thread.
(PS:- It's my first post on team-bhp, please ignore if I have made any mistakes here.)
Wow, a very comprehensive and detailed compilation of changes. Now the Jan 26th event has lost a lot of its buzz for me, after reading your thread, as I feel like I know most of the info that is going to be revealed there already!

You have started in Team-BHP with a bang! All the best for a fruitful membership.
84.monsoon is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 19:20   #448
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5-door testing continues, spotted in Leh.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231009_191727.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231009_191728.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231009_191730.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231009_191732.jpg

Source : Rushlane
Venkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 21:07   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...like the front tyres rubbing against the stabilizer bar on full lock, ....
Off-topic, but when I had this issue in my Oct 2020 manufactured Thar, it was zeroed to incorrect wheel alignment and a proper alignment at the MASS sorted it.

If you're running stock tyres, have the alignment checked. You may have to talk to the technical coordinator in your service center. Even with upsized tyres, it just about makes it if the alignment is done right,

Last edited by Aditya : 10th October 2023 at 17:57. Reason: Grammar, abbreviation
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 23:32   #450

My personal views are Thar will lose its charm when it has 5 doors. It would be similar to any SUV in the market and may be called a beefy bolero as well. Soft top and the character of Jeep thing cannot be replicated in a 5 door version is my view and it would have a very limited market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks