Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a dual-clutch AT today?
Yes 294 40.33%
No 435 59.67%
Voters: 729. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2021, 17:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Would you buy a dual-clutch AT car today, despite the serious reliability concerns?

No.1 reason for DSG issues is holding onto the brake in gear in stop/go traffic. This is the DSG’s Achilles heel. Bring the car to N if stopped for more than 10 seconds and you should be good.
Reesnat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 17:26   #32
BHPian

Re: Would you buy a dual-clutch AT car today, despite the serious reliability concerns?

I can't vote yet. Though there is a Hector DCT in the family (used by my dad who changes cars every 3 years or so), I would never buy a DCT. Manual or Torque converters for me. Followed by CVT and AMT in priority. I keep my cars for 8 years or more
Old 1st September 2021, 17:43   #33
BHPian

I would definitely want my close friends who can lend their cars to own one.

An automatic car without 'peace of mind while driving' defeats the whole purpose. So I guess CVTs and TCs make sense in Indian conditions
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 17:46   #34
BHPian

ChiragM, thanks for starting this very relevant thread. Personally, I am in the same dilemma. I am more or less certain of buying Jeep Compass and I am wondering if I should go for petrol AT or diesel AT. I will neither have high running to justify opting for diesel nor will I take it offroad (diesel AT is 4x4 defacto!), but since it has a TC gearbox, I am wondering if it is a better choice in long run.

I haven't come across too many issues with Jeep DCT gearbox but it can be due to their limited sales or even the fact that their still relatively new in Indian car market.

Would love opinions of fellow members.
Old 1st September 2021, 18:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

I have voted NO, however, my vote is based on complete Hearsay. I usually travel long distances with my family, and would hate to be stranded on some highway with the car immovable. It might lead to a scary experience at late night hours (post 1 AM). For a person who's had no reliability concern, touchwood,(where the car refuses to move) since the year 2000, reliability is one of the highest parameters for me. The steads we have used- M800,Chevrolet Aveo-UVA LS, Honda Amaze IDTEC, and the Ford Ecosport S TDCI (all manuals).

That said, I would be on the lookout for a second car to complement the Ecosport, and I am interested in an Automatic now. But the reliability concerns remain. However, is it true that some DCTs are more reliable than the others? For instance I have not heard of any reliability concern with the Hector's DCT yet. Sure the gearbox is more comfort oriented than delivering a lightning fast shift, but it certainly seems to be reliable. So is there any trick here to achieve a reliable DCT? Or should I stick to the tried and tested CVT/ATs?

Last edited by 07CR : 1st September 2021 at 18:16.
Old 1st September 2021, 18:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Voted yes, but only for the TSi-DSG combo on VW/Skoda

Reasons are not from the mind but the heart.
I found that combo to be telepathic to my driving style bettered/matched only by the BMW-ZF8 which is unaffordable.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 18:30   #37
BHPian

There should be 2 entries for DCT here - DSG and non-DSG .
I am prepared to baby-sit my Octavia in slow traffic in exchange for the amazing performance on open roads.
Not sure if other DCTs from Kia/Hyundai etc are this competent.
nma83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 18:32   #38
BHPian

I voted NO. However, I feel that ATs are going to be the future and DCTs have all the features that an enthusiast craves. Definitely my next car will be an AT and most likely DCT. But that is about 10 years away. ICE maybe extinct by then
Regards,
lsjey
Old 1st September 2021, 18:32   #39
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Voted "Yes" primarily because of two reasons:

1) Have owned the DQ250 (Superb) and currently on the DQ200 (Yeah, ouch. Vento). Experience has been quite good so far. As a safety measure, I get gearbox oil changed every 30,000km instead of the recommended 60,000km. Also, I slip into neutral when stopped for more than 5 seconds. Nothing shifts quite like the DSG and the jerks in 1st and 2nd are absolutely fine for me as it reminds me that I am driving a piece of machine and not a laptop. Oh right, the mileage is great too!

2) If I were to get another DCT then it would be a DSG only (VW/Skoda) because they've been in the field relatively longer than the others here. I do not have enough faith in Ford, Hyundai and Kia for a dual-clutch transmission.

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 1st September 2021 at 18:34.
vredesbyrd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 18:38   #40
BHPian

Voted "Yes" simply because there are very limited options left outside Dual Clutch systems when it comes to good automatic cars. I also drive a CVT regularly and the rubber band effect takes away a lot of driving pleasure. Have never driven a torque converter except in test drives, but it is supposed to be inefficient because of the extra torque converter unit in between.
Having said that, I think the biggest problem which we do not realise while driving an automatic is that Dual Clutch systems are practically a mechanical gear box where the car decides the correct gear and makes the shift. What this means is not keeping the car on hold for long when in "Drive" mode by using the brake. Shift to neutral at every possible opportunity (This will lead to overuse of the mechatronic unit though - I think).
Old 1st September 2021, 18:42   #41
BHPian

I would never want to own a car that is equipped with a gearbox that is considered a ticking time bomb by many. Even though reliability is not one of the topmost criteria for me while looking for a new car, I wouldn't want to drive a car that would most definitely have a breakdown. What if the gearbox packs up while on the way to some forests/remote areas? This is the sort of situation that I don't want my family to be in.

However, I am open to buying cars equipped with more reliable DCTs (like the DQ250), which has been quite proven.
Old 1st September 2021, 19:55   #42

Can't vote. But No.

Needed a petrol automatic sub-compact SUV. I had to choose between AMTs and DCTs.
My final contenders were a Petrol IMT and a Diesel TC
Old 1st September 2021, 20:56   #43
BHPian

I just bought a used 2014 Jetta Highline DSG with 1.2L kms on odo. The DQ250 hasn't been too notorious.

The DQ200 also mostly gets goodwill warranty even after regular/extended warranty ends.

Never touching Kia/Hyundai though.
Old 1st September 2021, 21:21   #44
BHPian

Voted No, but I'd be okay with wet-clutch ones. The poll should ideally have a distinction between dry & wet clutch DCTs, as the wet ones are generally quite reliable.
d3mon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 21:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

From a driving pleasure point of you, I voted a Yes and I specifically mean VAG DSGs which I doubt can be matched by other DCTs in outright responsiveness.

The way it adapts to one's right foot is just amazing, the long legged nature in highway cruising and the resultant FE figures bring as much a smile as how the tacho dances around during flat out acceleration (just don't look at FE reading then)

I personally think DSG being stereotyped with failures need to be refreshed with respect to trends from the recent past as against ghosts of the earlier batches
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks