Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a dual-clutch AT today?
Yes 294 40.33%
No 435 59.67%
Voters: 729. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2021, 21:55   #46
BHPian

Re: Would you buy a dual-clutch AT car today, despite the serious reliability concerns?

Absolutely not. I will stay far away from any and every dual clutch car. For me reliability, low maintenance cost and peace of mind trumps the fast shifting dual clutch automatics. In any case, I am a sedate driver and feel no need to put the pedal to the metal. Skoda's notorious dual clutch transmission has it's fair share of sob stories.

For the time being, I will stick to an AMT. Budget permitting I might upgrade to a TC in the distant future.
Old 1st September 2021, 22:15   #47
BHPian

Re: Would you buy a dual-clutch AT car today, despite the serious reliability concerns?

Voted No. May probably buy it when it becomes as reliable as a CVT in a Honda.
Old 1st September 2021, 22:16   #48
BHPian

Yes.

I own a Sonet DCT which is almost 10 months old now. A couple of planned highway runs will get me over 10k on the odo, and I have had no issues till date.

60-70% of my running has been on highways, and I love the smooth shifts of the DCT. Even in the notorious bumper to bumper traffic of Bangalore, the DCT has held up well. If I am not moving, the vehicle is in N or P, and I'm okay with that.

To all those who cite inherent risks to rule these vehicles out, do ask yourself how many Hyundai/Kia DCT vehicles are running on our roads. How many of those have reported issues? How many of those that did have issues, made a habit of sliding to Neutral when idling in traffic?

Yes, it is absolutely a possibility that your DCT may fail. It is also true that for a majority, their vehicle ownership will be trouble free. It simply comes down to your risk appetite. I chose to get the extended warranty, and hedged my bets. For the vehicles I considered, if all else were equal, I would choose the DCT again.
Coyote is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 22:18   #49
anb
BHPian

Definitively Yes. Dual Clutch AT is not a deal breaker for me. Apart from DQ200, all other DSG gearboxes from VAG are reliable. We have seen one DQ381( Tiguan) failure in the forum.I will treat it as an off case like the failure of a CVT gearbox (TCU) in a Baleno. I am using a Polo GT TSI ( DQ200) for 6.5 years and so far no issues with the gearbox.

Last edited by anb : 1st September 2021 at 22:26.
Old 1st September 2021, 22:21   #50
BHPian

Voted Yes. I would anyday prefer a dct/dsg over others. Have been using one for 5 years now. Reason - simple; would prefer to enjoy the drive daily even at the risk of a failure once. I keep cars for 5-6 years generally and try to get warranty for 4 years at least.
Old 1st September 2021, 22:42   #51

A million yes!! Am a owner of polo GT TSI for 7+ years and no niggles so far. I even did a solo Bangalore to Bhutan drive when the car was almost 6 years old. Without this car and the gearbox, I wouldn't have enjoyed the drive so much. Even today, no other car makes it fun to drive anymore and hence my confusion to upgrade. Even today, I smile with grin when I floor the throttle on highways. MY next upgrade would definitely be a VW/SKODA car with the DSG gearbox. I am willing to take that leap of faith for the all fun DSG provides.

There are a lot of cars with reliable gearboxes which might have a strong heart, but a DSG gearbox brings soul to the car. And once you get used to it, there is no way of going back to any other one.
sovenkat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 23:27   #52
BHPian

Voted NO.

Reason:
I only need an automatic in the stop-go traffic.
And the major issues of the DCT are in the stop and go traffic itself.

On the highway I would anytime prefer an manual.

Reason:
1. More control while making the quick overtake maneuvers.
2. Somehow winding ghats are more enjoyable with some work on the gears.
3. On the long straights, it hardly makes any difference with manual or an auto.
iamahunter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 23:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Voted Yes. Recently got a Superb L&K home. Reasons:

• Mentally prepared for 1 failure within the extended warranty (6 years) and 1 after that. We usually sell the car at the 10-year mark, so will effectively have to pay for 1 repair, but be inconvenienced twice. Just hope it gives up in the city and not on the damn highway .

• This is the improved wet-clutch 7-speed DQ381 DSG which is *supposedly* more reliable than the heartbreaker DQ200.

• Lack of options in the segment. The other shortlisted cars were more expensive by either 10 lakhs (Camry) or 20 lakhs (C-Class).

• My brother's very low running. He will probably drive the car 5000 km / year tops.

• No running in heavy traffic. Primarily nights, weekends and the open road. 60% of the car's current odometer reading has been on the highway.

Really sucks that we sometimes have to end up with an option we know will give us trouble, but as a wise man once said, there is no such thing as a "perfect car". I'd rather have a breakdown every 5 years than drive a boring engine / gearbox for 10 years. That said, I would pick a competent torque-converter AT over a DCT 10 out of 10 times.

Attachment 2200831

I have 3 of them

2014 Skoda Octavia Diesel AT
2017 Skoda Superb AT
2017 Volkswagen AT

Just love to drive them. They are so addictive.

No trouble as of yet. Fingers cross.

Hopefully I haven’t spoken too soon
drjaygoyal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 00:48   #54
BHPian

Voted Yes.

I'm a big fan of reliable cars. It's always in the top of my list. But I also love fun to drive & technologically advanced cars.
So whenever I buy a DCT, it'll be a very informed decision. I'll be mentally prepared for a breakdown after the first couple of years, and possibly a gearbox replacement.
Old 2nd September 2021, 01:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

Voted No!

I want peace of mind, convenience, reliability and a reasonably fast car, which my Civic gives me in spades. I don’t really care if a dual-clutch is milliseconds faster than a torque converter or it has sharper gear shifts. I wouldn’t want to buy a headache, never knowing when the contraption will leave me stranded on the road with the nuisance of dealing with the service centre for repairs.

Cheers
Old 2nd September 2021, 01:37   #56

I am not able to vote. But it will be a NO for me, having experienced DCT failure in my Ford Figo at mere 40,000 KM. I wouldn't want my car sitting in the service center for a month while waiting for the parts to arrive.
mttraveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 01:57   #57
BHPian

Voted yes, I think VW and Ford (to a lesser extent) with their DSG and Powershift transmissions have unnecessarily ruined the dual clutch’s reputation in some markets, truth is there are dozens of makes ans models out there from AMG’s to the majority of exotics (and a lot of mainstream cars as well) that get it right and are not reliability nightmares, even in stop and go traffic. The speed and accuracy of shifts that a dual clutch provides is simply unmatched by other transmission technologies, unless you’ve driven one with the throttle pinned you won’t be in a position to compare, I find too many people demonising the technology without good evidence. Stay away from the known unreliable ones (like the dry clutch DQ 200) and you’ll be fine. If you want to test my logic, you can search yourself for non VW and Ford dual clutch transmission failures and you’ll hardly find any sad stories. Cheers.
Old 2nd September 2021, 06:58   #58
BHPian

Voted Yes. But not the ones (DQ 200) which haven't been as reliable as the others. Also I am not sure about the Koreans as they are still relatively new in the market.
Old 2nd September 2021, 07:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes.
My first priority is a fun to drive car with good engine and gear box combo. I am okay and mentally prepared to have few additional visits to the garage in the life span of the car.
What I cannot live with is buying something which is not fun and then repenting my decision every time I drive.
Old 2nd September 2021, 07:40   #60
BHPian

The current car is 5th one with DSG and I must have done over half a million (combined) on DSGs without a single failure, hence my trust and inclination on DSG is obvious, heck DSG is the first thing I see in any car, before making the purchasing decision.
Turbo Head is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks