Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a dual-clutch AT today?
Yes 294 40.33%
No 435 59.67%
Voters: 729. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2021, 23:12   #106
BHPian

Re: Would you buy a dual-clutch AT car today, despite the serious reliability concerns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am 100% certain there is no need to put the gearbox in neutral when the car comes to stand still. You can google for idle neutral control. Every modern automatic of all types (dsg, CVT, tc) comes programmed with this logic. There is no harm in putting in neutral but it's not required and it doesn't increase GB life compared to just leaving it in D and applying brakes. Both do the same thing.
100 % true but I do not know why everybody keep it in N.
i) Keep brake pedal firmly pressed or Use Auto Hold at traffic signal
ii) I avoid start/stop as it may cause damage to turbo in long run. Not 100% sure about this turbo damage
iii) On bad roads and slow traffic move the gear to M1

Last edited by sagwal : 3rd September 2021 at 23:14. Reason: Typo
Old 4th September 2021, 06:12   #107
BHPian

Re: Would you buy a dual-clutch AT car today, despite the serious reliability concerns?

Have been driving my 4th VW/Skoda with DSG since 2012. Never ever had a problem. All of them overseas. I believe the problems were relevant in 2010s and not now. I have put in ~40K kilometers on each of my previous cars. I put ~3k kilometers per month on my current car which is 1.25 years old. Drive quality is excellent.

As modern day transmission breakdown is an extremely rare anomaly, number of techs capable of rebuilding a transmission especially automatic ones is becoming scarce. I think this is even more pronounced in countries like India where automatic transmissions are catching up only now.
Old 4th September 2021, 07:15   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes. Despite two Mechatronics failures in my Skoda Superb, I have gone ahead and bought a Tiguan Allspace - and also considered the Kia Seltos 1.4 DCT, the MG Hector DCT and the Jeep Compass DCT. The fact is that DCT gearboxes are far superior to the average Torque Converter or CVT gearbox in terms of translating engine power into on the road performance. The only conventional gearbox that is as good is the 8 speed ZF found in BMWs. With extended warranties available and fewer reported failures (failure rates are still high - but are now the exception rather than the rule), potential inconvenience for a few days seems worth it to get driving pleasure for the rest of the 7-8 years I would keep the car.

But yes, if a DSG equipped car does not drive better than a conventional TC equipped equivalent, I would pick the TC. Was shocked to see how poor the Hector DCT was - and reports suggest that the Hector CVT is not much worse to drive. So if I were buying a Hector, I would pick the CVT.
Hayek is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 07:48   #109
Senior - BHPian

Voted NO unless I have multiple cars at home and having one car down wouldn't be a major headache.

Also, regular torque converter boxes have almost closed the gap and CVTs have come a long way.
Old 4th September 2021, 08:12   #110
BHPian

Voted Yes. However, I can't vouch for dry clutch DSG's.

I drive a 2012 Skoda Superb TDI (DQ250} with 1.7 lakh km on the ODO. I haven't faced any issues till date. The car is still running on stock clutch pack. There is absolutely no change in gearbox feel after all these years. Best part is, the shifts are very predictable even in D mode. Shifts can literally be timed just by modulating the throttle without the gearbox getting confused.

However I stick to the following,

1) Get the DSG transmission fluid replaced every 50k instead of 60k.

2) Leave the car in N while in stop & go traffic (beyond 5-10 sec.).

3) Being gentle on steep incline's to ensure the clutch doesn't slip excessively.
csr9 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 09:47   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

If the gear ratios in itself of the gearbox is Indian road friendly, the rest of the mechanism may have some chance of survival. Else the clutch slip and heat will eventually knock something loose.

Some must read information about the infamous DQ200, incase one needs motivation to stay away from it.

Link
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 11:18   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagwal View Post
100 % true but I do not know why everybody keep it in N.
Maybe because the user manuals say so. I do for that reason.

Quoting relevant section from the Kia Sonet Owner's Manual,

Quote:
When driving in stop-and-go traffic, in stop condition, to reduce the driving stress and have better transmission operation move the shift lever to N (Neutral) or P (Parking) position.
robincsamuel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 13:31   #113

A big Yessss...

Currently drive a Facelift Octy (2017) & love every moment with her. I am fine with some tantrums (Read failures) she might throw in. In my close to 4 years ownership, have done 48K Kms running without any issue (Only battery changed).
Old 4th September 2021, 18:20   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

The Torque Converter gearbox was first introduced to the world in 1905. I can totally see why this good old AT gearbox is reliable; mankind has had over a 100 years to iron out whatever faults came up along the way...and this sort of gearbox is still beyond the ability of most FNGs to repair! CVTs and DCTs are way worse off in this regard.

If you want a car, a manual transmission is the best there is. If you must drive an Automatic that is reliable, I would recommend a torque converter automatic.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 19:03   #115
BHPian

I have been living with Skoda Rapid DSG for 7 years now and already within first 2 years for no reason at all Mechatronic failed. Skoda replaced for free but now I am afraid to take rapid anywhere out of service center reach. I am done living with this kind of fear. Hence no more DSG for me. Would rather buy CVT or buy a manual and keep driver.

My friends Creta DSG failed within 1 year and 7k KMs. He is now being told it is his fault as he skipped 1st month & yearly service schedule. This is just not done.

What happened to making reliable cars. Govt says sell car after 10/15 years. Car manufacturers say why wait that long, sell car after 3-4 years and for that they make unreliable cars.

Last edited by heydj : 4th September 2021 at 19:05.
heydj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 19:40   #116

I own a 2017 Polo GT TSI, and I have had no issues with the DSG so far. In terms of drivability, and driving pleasure, dual clutch transmissions are honestly unparalleled. The turbo lag is so evident if you move from a CVT to a DSG. My next car will definitely be a DSG simply because I love the way it drives. Considering there are extended warranty options available for DSGs and can comfortably get me through 5 years, I am quite confident. Also, SA's, at VW at least, are super understanding of DSG troubles and want you to have a good driving experience.
Old 4th September 2021, 20:13   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am 100% certain there is no need to put the gearbox in neutral when the car comes to stand still. You can google for idle neutral control. Every modern automatic of all types (dsg, CVT, tc) comes programmed with this logic. There is no harm in putting in neutral but it's not required and it doesn't increase GB life compared to just leaving it in D and applying brakes. Both do the same thing.
I was quite worried about the reliability of DSGs before I actually took the plunge. After having read several ownership reviews and issues faced by many owners, I still felt that at least once one should experience DSG. Driving a Vento with TC and then a T-Roc with DSG, there is a huge difference in drive. DSG is quick and rides are very enjoyable.

I have habituated myself to putting the box to Neutral in stop go traffic. But then as I read more, there is no real need of it. Thanks for the detailed write up here.

For peace of mind it would be TC, but for some fun it would be DSG. I voted for YES.
tristis2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 22:44   #118
BHPian

Well, I can only speak about my experience, not an expert on the mechanics involved. I have read a lot on dual clutch issues, so much so I dropped my plan to buy a Skoda Octavia DSG. Considered different cars after that including a Corolla AT. Finally settled on, well, a Jeep Compass Petrol AT. Yes, a DCT. The initial slight lag etc people talk about is there for the DCT - 1.4 petrol engine mating in Compass, but, I love the machine on an open road. It's pretty seamless in my opinion. Also never faced an issue for quick overtaking situations etc in highways. I always by default, shift the stick to N, at traffic stops in city runs. Have taken the car to all sorts of terrain. A year and a half now, have faced no issues, touch wood. Am I carefree with my drive? No. Am well aware of what people write about dual clutch AT and do believe there is merit in the caution from reading people's experiences. But atleast in my personal experience so far, I have nothing to complain about. Will I buy a DCT again? Well, if it comes part of a good car, I would buy it again, 100%.
Old 5th September 2021, 05:55   #119
BHPian

Voted 'NO'

The Conventional \Torque converter AT is way better than the DCT\DSG offered in the market.

I dread the day when applying 'Conventional' to AT would mean 'DSG\DCT' transmission as that would mean that a prospective car buyer would be left with no other option then to but an AT which is a dual-clutch transmission. Yes, they may find themselves driving a car which may have a transmission other than dual-clutch but that would be a CVT as there wont be any torque-converter transmission cars. I am not sure how many car manufacturers are offering CVT's at the moment. But the trend seems to be more and more dual-clutch transmissions. I buy second hand cars and continue to be scrupulous enough to make sure that the AT that I choose would have to be a conventional AT.I don't know whether few years down the line there would be enough torque-converter AT cars left.
Old 5th September 2021, 06:12   #120
Senior - BHPian

A performance car in which to extract every ounce of performance, perhaps yes but i never saw the appeal of dual clutch transmissions in everyday cars doing everyday things. Apart from being fidgety and not very smooth in stop and go traffic, a dual clutch is basically a semi automatic transmissions compared to a torque converter which is an actual fully automatic transmission.

Besides, over a century of refinement to the torquer converter transmission means that they are almost as good or even better than dual clutches. In India, given our road conditions, engine power, fuel quality and general competency of most mechanics, a dual clutch is an absolute overkill, an unreliable overkill at that.
extreme_torque is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks