Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2021, 07:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here

It's impossible to usually spot another 1.6 scross. What are the odds that I spot another one of the same color as well!!
Attached Thumbnails
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-img_20210918_070328__01.jpg  

arvind71181 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 08:38   #17
BHPian

3 months ago, I went to Agra from Delhi for a relaxed weekend outing in my Brezza VDI AMT. I discovered that a friend was staying in the same hotel on the same floor. He had come in his Q5 2.0 tdi. 3 weeks ago, he told me that he was interested in selling his Q5 and buying an F-pace. I jumped at the opportunity, bought the Q5 and as fate would have it, made a trip to Agra, and beyond to Gwalior within a week of having the car
Sumer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 08:49   #18
BHPian

I don't have any pic to share but a couple of days ago I went to a friend's birthday party. There were two other families there, a total of four including mine and the host. Three out of four had Ecosport, which we came to know when one of the other Ecosport owners started discussing concerns he had about his car's future. Thanks to TeamBHP's various threads upon this matter I was able to address their concerns.
itsbaman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 08:56   #19
BHPian

Usually when I spot another Honda Civic 10th gen car on the road, I give the driver a look and he/she nods back with a smile. Very small club.

This has happened maybe four times in the last one year across three cities.

And, oh by the way, my old car number was 9830 and the new one is 4980 (missed by one digit!) - non VIP numbers, randomly assigned by two different RTOs.

Last edited by andafunda : 18th September 2021 at 09:00.
andafunda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 09:23   #20
BHPian

Back in 2012 when I had just started driving there used to be certain days when my family would allow me to take our E350 CDI out for drives. I remember I was once in Lokhandwala (a posh Mumbai neighbourhood) to pick up one of my friends, Mercs and other premium cars are a common sighting in such Mumbai neighbourhoods. While I waited to pick him up another white E350 rolled up right in front of me and parked ahead. Both the cars from the exterior looked the exact same.

As my friend came out of the building he wasn't mindful enough to check the car to see if it was me, he opened the door and sat in the Merc ahead of me, only to jump out of the car 5 seconds later realizing it is the wrong car.

Needless to say, it was a hysterically funny incident for me, my friend and the poor chap in the car in front of us who was utterly confused.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 09:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post
eight Hyundai cars all parked next to each other by complete happenstance! Mine's the third car from the left, the Wine Red Grand i10.
What a lovely coincidence! What I like even more is that the courtesy you have shown to mask ( I know some don't care ) the number plates of not only your car but also others too. I have seen many happily post photos of their car in social media platforms by fading their own number but there may be many other cars in the same frame with numbers on! I am sure it is not intentional always ( even I forget at times ) but an extra thought does help. Appreciate that

Last edited by Salnv : 18th September 2021 at 09:53.
Salnv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 11:14   #22
BHPian

What a great thread
Sharing two , one morning spotted a Creta with exact same number series just ending with 8 and mine ends with 7
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-20210806_084748.jpg

My last car was a Tiago and someone in Delhi with a Maruti Eeco drove with my exact license plate, kept continuously offending and I got challans every other day. Got frustrated and sold the car ( had other reasons as well)
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-challan.jpg
TSI47 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 11:32   #23
BHPian

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-picsart_091811.20.09.jpg

24th October 2019 was a special day for me, as it was the delivery date of my beloved VW Arteon. This car was a dream come true for me, superb performance combined with four door practicality, wrapped in a sexy design! Even though I decided not to get a premium number plate, the fact that i got my birth month & year 8/89 in the plate number was a happy coincidence!
Nair.V8 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 11:56   #24
BHPian

So this happened around 2002. We used to have the 1st year Indica (not even the V2). We got the car delivered in Hyderabad. We got the no AP9AC1122. A year after that, we were visiting Hyd and noticed a yellow Lancer with the no AP9X1122 (not 100% sure if the letter after 9 was x). The story didn't end there, I was watching a telugu movie (I think one of the heros was Prabhu Deva) and found that exact same car in one of the scenes .
Knighted06 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 12:02   #25
BHPian

Well here is a great one, when in college me and my friend used to do these build ups before introducing our new stuff, like i would buy a new phone and then make this entire build up and go to a place and pretend to have lost my phone only for him to call and then reveal my new phone.

So the coincidence part my friend one day invited us to his house and took us there which was normal and then we took a turn to his street and then a second turn to his house, he stopped us there ran and lo and behold stands a brand new Ford Ecosport looking absolutely smashing, little did he knew i had a surprise planned as well, i pretended to have a stomach ache and requested to go to the nearby hospital, there we reach i take out the keys and show them a brand new Honda City parked in the parking and commented it looks smashing in those 16 inch alloys only to surprise them to take out the keys from my pocket and introduce to my new car.

What's even better, we both bought our cars on the exact same day as well, obviously in the dark, unplanned and undiscussed.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th October 2021 at 13:14. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Rocketscience is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 12:04   #26

My mum always told me stories about her father having many cars and taking her and all her siblings on joyrides.

One of the cars that was her favorite was a Morris Minor. They would call it Two Nine Khichdi. Primarily because of the number BMR 2963 and secondly because how how cramped the 4 of them felt in the backseat.

I purchased my first car in Hyd in 2006...Almost 40 - 50 years later. Once the RTO formalities were done I was surprised to see AP 28 AR 2963.

I called my mum to double check and yes it was a huge coincidence.

We loved the car so much that even when I came back to Bombay I never let the number change.
Llewellyn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 12:04   #27
BHPian

Here's my coincidence (if you can call it that)

My car bears the number KA 0X MJ X80Y. It's a 2nd gen Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX petrol.
Another gentleman's car in my area bears the number KA 0Y MJ Y80X which is again a 2nd gen Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX but diesel.

Last edited by Babruvahanaaaaa : 18th September 2021 at 12:08.
Babruvahanaaaaa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 12:08   #28
BHPian

The 1996 Maruti 800 was purchased by my dad and he didn't ask for any special registration number, but we coincidentally got the number 4039 (consecutive numbers 40 & 39).

As for the pre-worshipped CRV. I wanted a CRV only and was lucky that this vehicle came with the Number 333, I spent a year in Pondy with this car and whilst my colleagues with KA registered cars were stopped for verification multiple times, I was never stopped thanks to the "VIP" registration most likely.

Also we were lucky again when the person from the office adjacent to the garage of our mechanic as well as to my father's office, owned a car already with registration number with three 3s, spotted the car and enquired if it was up for sale. The Zen owner was particular about the three 3s in the registration number, alas we could sell the CRV to this person itself. Now I get the see the CRV whenever I visit my dad at his office. Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-screenshot_20210918114805.jpg

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-screenshot_20210918115757.jpg
Osteon206 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 12:13   #29
BHPian

So this might seem crazy, but there is this incident that keeps blowing my mind every time I think about it.

My father had this amazing Maruti Zen Carbon, which he bought because he was promised immediate delivery against 6 months or more for a Zen VX. I absolutely loved the car and it was an attention magnet.

Fast forward early 2002, when we decided to sell it and upgrade. With the move to Kerala and the vehicle being MH-01 registered, we got an NOC and transferred the registration of the car to my hometown. For some reason, we got a fancy number 6464 (which later all my cars would bear except my Rapid). Funny enough, prior to that we got a very good offer when the car was in the Motor Vehicle department parking for some paper work. We liked the offer, as it was substantially more than we expected and with almost all the guys scaring us saying re-registered cars fetch much lesser value, we agreed and the same agent who was transferring our registration took care of the transfer.

Later circa 2015, we got the Fortuner and wanted the number 6464. Me being me, decided no agent for registration, took the responsibility of getting the desired number and getting inspection done for registration. Having no idea how to book a fancy number, I just walked into the Vehicles Department office and spoke to a clerk. For some reason he was very co operative, showed me the series of numbers available, which had the number I wanted. All I had to do was to get the number alloted to me by paying a certain amount and getting it approved by RTO. RTO was a very nice man, asked me why I wanted that number (probabaly sensing the joy and seeing how giddy I was). Repeated the Zen story to him. He just gets up, insists I accompany him to his house. And voila the Zen Carbon with 6464 plates (with a lot of oh so awkward ricer mods) is in his garage. Apparently he was the guy who bought it from us and it now serves as his son's ride.

Long story short, I got the number allotted for free and we remain close friends to this very day.

Last edited by kraken : 18th September 2021 at 12:18.
kraken is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 12:18   #30
BHPian

Me and my son were staring at a DMart parking lot and started counting the car colors. There were 8 reds/red shades for instance. For the next 30 minutes or so, the balance in the colors was maintained. If a red car left, another red car pulled in. If a silver one left, another silver one came in...

Come to think of it, it is a perfect example of statistical distribution, yet it was cool to watch.

Weirder coincidence is when I submitted paperwork for buying a Honda City (we were considering Jazz vs. City). For the next 30 minutes drive back home I saw 6 Jazz cars. Not a single City!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th October 2021 at 13:14. Reason: spacing for improved readability
sramanat is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks