Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you still buy a Maruti today?
Yes 346 35.41%
No 631 64.59%
Voters: 977. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2021, 18:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Would you still buy a Maruti today?

I have an S-Cross and Maruti has no car that I can upgrade to, so I can't even if I want to.

In case the need for a small automatic comes up, Ignis will definitely be considered.
Eddy is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 18:28   #17
BHPian

The question should be "Would you still buy a new Maruti today?"

New Maruti as my primary car, used for highway runs - No

Used/Budget hatchback from Maruti as a city runabout/beater - Yes
KA18 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 18:38   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

- Not for the decade old technology they still use.

- The very unsafe (once ZERO NCAP rating) now FOUR STARS for some models but still questionable safety, seeing the regular accidents and the ductile deformation to the extreme these Marutis suffer, as compared to the safer cars.

- Not for the laid back attitude of their top management and R&D that fails to see and recognise the age old adage "change with the times".

Marutis USP is its wide sales and service network, affordable spares and repairs and its loyal following by millions of customers whose word of mouth opinions to relatives, friends and acquaintances matter the most to keep it at # 1.

But will such goodwill with Maruti loyalists last long if the competition offers more attractive products ?

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th October 2021 at 18:39.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 18:38   #19
BHPian

Voted NO
I am enjoying both our current cars - a Jetta and an Abarth Punto. Maruti offers nothing similar or an upgrade from these in terms of safety, handling or performance - the things that matter to me.
The only Maruti that I may remotely consider is a used Ignis as a city beater.

Last edited by cogWheel : 24th October 2021 at 18:51.
cogWheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 18:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Voted NO
I am enjoying both our current cars - a Jetta and an Abarth Punto. Maruti offers nothing similar or an upgrade from these.
The only Maruti that I may remotely consider is a used Ignis as a City beater.
A "Big No" based on the current portfoli0 they have. They have nothing that can match up to the Fiat Punto I drive currently. Other than S Cross, Brezza nothing else in Maruti can be termed well built. Even these 2 don't feel as sturdy and aren't sorted drive wise.
Besides the attitude the company shows towards safety puts me off. Every single iteration is about making the car lighters and boasting about the mileage.
Also there is nothing to upgrade. Most cars they have in stable wont feel like an upgrade even the relatively safer one.
If they come up with Vitara or Jimny (purely as a lifestyle vehicle) I may consider.
nibedk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 18:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Let me start. I am 38 years old with wife and 2 kids. My wife needs a car to take kids to school and bring back. So total run per day will be 6-8 Kms total. Off chance I may need to take car to office. We are looking for our first car and since we are not much knowledgeable, so we are only preferring Maruti or Hyundai.
My wife wants something with high seating so she can see bonnet. We actually have to go to motor training.

After much deliberation and checks, we have drilled down to (for now) S-Presso as is ticks most boxes. It will be a city only car and we almost will never take outside the city. I am very well aware about the 0 star.

Hence, for now, we are mostly getting Spresso but still waiting to check new Celerio and will decide after its launch.
Excatly the same reason,we have 3 s pressos in our family- father,brother and me. Only inside city where a high seating position,narrow width and peppy engine are all that matters. Also have burnt my fingers with the dreaded resale value of all Tata cars I owned. Patriotism is great,but hard earned money down the drain is not- for me
Nanolover is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 18:52   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes.

I don't buy a brand but choose the car first, based on my use case.

From their current portfolio, it will be hard for me to choose anything above their entry level offerings if purchasing new. Or might go the pre-owned route for their bigger hatchbacks. And this would be a secondary car for local use.

Maruti as a brand is very good.

PS: Our current secondary car is a Maruti and it's doing its job very well.

Last edited by ashis89 : 24th October 2021 at 18:53.
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 18:58   #23
BHPian

Voted yes!

Car I would buy- Baleno, Ignis, S-Cross, XL6 or Ciaz

Reasons-

S-Cross-

1. Value- While Hyundai and Kia offer you steel boxes stripped of features in the name of base variants, the S-Cross's base Sigma and Delta are significantly more feature loaded than the Seltos (till HTK+) and Creta (E and EX) at a price cheaper by almost 1.5-2 lakhs.

2. Safety- Being based on the Brezza's platform, the S-Cross is far safer than Korean tincans (or stretched Santros as per what social media calls them! )

3. Reliability- There have been numerous reports of brake failures, engine failures, parts falling off of the Koreans and the EPC woes of the Germans are no secret either. S-Cross on the other hand, has never had a single reliability issue reported!

Ciaz-

1. Value- The only C-segment sedans I find to be value for money today, are the City and Ciaz. Hence if I had to buy a C-segment sedan today and did not have budget of the Honda City, the Ciaz would be a natural pick over the overpriced, potentially unsafe (same platform as Seltos) and cramped Verna and the expensive-to-maintain Germans as well.

2. Space and comfort- If one wants to be chauffeured around in their C-segment sedan, the Ciaz is one of the best cars in it's segment for the job.

3. Safety- Okay the India-spec Ciaz is not tested but so is the case for any other car in the segment! Again, I would trust the Ciaz for a decent rating atleast because Maruti's expensive cars have never been a disappointment in terms of safety.

XL6-

Both the Ertiga and XL6 are currently India's cheapest proper 7 seater cars. And since the cars are reliable, comfortable and spacious (unlike the more expensive 7 seater crossover SUVs!), the XL6 and Ertiga are the most economical option for someone looking for a 7 seater. And with the Ertiga's 3 star rating, it isn't very bad (although a higher score would be appreciated!)

The XL6 offers a little more bling and style over the Ertiga. However, if it comes with gizmos like sunroof, wireless charger and other gimmicky stuff, it would attract a lot of Creta and Alcazar buyers!

Baleno-

Okay the Baleno is unsafe and there is no denying that fact. However, the Baleno is spacious, refined, comfortable and easy to drive, making it a good city car. Yes the Altroz feels like a better car but the engine is a big deal breaker and the i20 is a strict no with it's SUVish price and safety that is expected to be worse than the Baleno (based on the fact that the WagonR and Swift have scored better than Santro and i10 at Global NCAP!)

Ignis-

I would simply buy the Ignis over a Swift or any other non-premium hatchback as it looks quite cool in the first place. Secondly, being a Maruti, it is a perfect city car which go on for miles without any worry. And when you factor in the fact that the Ignis is the only sub-10 lakh rupee car that manages to catch eyeballs and yet won't give me vibrations all around or reliability woes...... it is simply too good to be resisted!

Rest said, the WagonR, Swift, S-Presso and Dzire are still the best cars in their respective segments. Brezza too, is a great choice except for the fact that it is too boring and I would anyday buy an Urban Cruiser over it!

On a side note- I would really want Maruti to bring in 6 airbags and a better AT gearbox in their cars along with more safety tech.

Inclusion of features like gesture based boot opener, connected car tech and wireless charger in the features list which are currently available as an accessory would be more than enough to bring in the gimmick loving Hyundai-Kia customer base!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I don't buy a brand but choose the car first, based on my use case.
Exactly! Most people here comment with respect to Maruti as a whole. As a car, most of their products make perfect sense even today!

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 24th October 2021 at 19:20.
theAutomaniac is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 19:19   #24
BHPian

After owning Lancer / Punto / Aspire, mentally I am exhausted.

After paying 45/50% on tax & paper work of new vehicle (tax / road registration / insurance) & astronomical tax on fuel, I am exhausted financially.

So next purchase will be a Maruti and that too the cheapest one available (I guess Alto 800 STD) with A/C & Power Steering.
NaXal is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 19:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes. Car I'd get from their current line-up; S-Cross

I think the S-Cross is a no-brainer when it comes to the most appropriate, all-rounder that's manufactured in India. Not too flashy, not too fussy, rides and handles just right, is practical and spacious, well built and durable as well. I see no other car that ticks all those boxes in the current market apart from the S-Cross.

Honestly I feel every brand has models that appeal and models that don't. We might complain about Maruti but they have always given us something or the other that is good: from small old built to last hatchbacks like the WagonR and Zen that some of us still use, to cars like the SX4 and Ritz that were beautifully well made products of Suzuki's partnerships with European companies, and currently the no-nonsense S-Cross for the modern market that wants everything.
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 20:16   #26
BHPian

For all those people who say that buying a car (that have poor safety ratings) purely for city use is acceptable. IMHO, that's a wrong thinking because accidents happen more often in city roads too than I've seen on highways. Frequency of accidents on city roads is more.

So, to drive in city, you still need to own & drive 'safe' cars for your own safety & family's safety. Your defensive driving can fail anytime within city roads due to other person's careless mistake. Unfortunately, not all cars in that price bracket have good safety ratings.

But Tata Motors is changing that perception & has already shown us that you 'can' build 'safe' cars in that price bracket.

So, I would still suggest anyone to give 'safety' also a priority apart from 'engine & features' for all those people who are considering buying their 1st, 2nd or 3rd car purely for city use.

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 24th October 2021 at 20:20. Reason: Added little more information
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 21:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Voted : Yes.

I had the Ignis Alpha AMT, sold the car due to the disgusting, ridiculous AMT. Just couldn’t live with it (my other car is a Civic AT). Wish it was sold with a torque converter. Loved the car otherwise, it’s looks, good ground clearance, compact dimensions and features (for it’s class) which make it a perfect city car. Like the S Cross too, now only if it had a five or six speed automatic

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 24th October 2021 at 22:07.
Cyborg is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 21:54   #28
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Maruti's customer centric after sales support, over the counter spare parts availability and affordable servicing are still a deal maker for me.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 22:42   #29
BHPian

Voted NO. We are a 1 car family, so no Marutis, and even if we had to add another car, i would think twice. Every product that Maruti has- the competition offers better. In Maruti's core hatchback segments, I liked the Kwid a lot more than the S-Presso, the Santro better than the WagonR, and the i20 better than the Baleno. And do not get me started on the class above- the compeition simply decimates Maruti!

The last Maruti i (and my immediate family) bought was in 2007, and that was probably the last exciting product Maruti introduced in India- the first gen Swift. Maruti products just do not feel good- both interiors (which feel the same across all their cars irrespective of the price) and of course poor exterior build quality. Desirability takes a hit.

Plus they never offer anything out of the box. They will be the last to add a feature for the first time in the market. I do hope their global alliance (and in future combined company) with Toyota will improve things.

BTW there are a lot of happy Maruti customers in my extended family. For them, there is simply no other choice- and that is about 60% of the India car buying audience. None of them are on t-bhp so do not let the results of this poll confuse you.
achyutaghosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 23:10   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Depends. Their current lineup has no product worth upgrading from the XL6 I already have, but if a need comes up like city car or an automatic, I will surely consider them. Therefore have voted Yes.
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks