Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you still buy a Maruti today?
Yes 346 35.41%
No 631 64.59%
Voters: 977. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2021, 11:24   #106
BHPian

Re: Would you still buy a Maruti today?

Voted no, but that is only because my ideology about cars has undergone a fairly big change in the covid era.

Pre-2020, I used to think that I don't want to spend much on a car. I am ok with a fairly cheap, mechanically reliable tin-can on wheels with good after-sales service that can be used in the city. For that, a maruti fits the bill fairly well.

For longer trips, I can always rent a big, safe car and drive it. If the destination is greater than 6 hours away, better to just fly in and rent a car from the airport.

The lockdowns dented my belief in being able to reliably and safely rent a car or take shared transport without a hassle. Now, I feel like driving my own car everywhere and for much longer distances than I used to. Heck, even for vacations I have started thinking about going to places which are within driving distance than thinking "Where in the world do I want to go this time?"

Therefore I need to own a bigger and safer car than any that Maruti currently sells in our market. My primary vehicle has been a Maruti for well over a decade. It has served me well. I continue to root for the company and wish them the best.
yogishkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 11:33   #107
BHPian

Yes, but only Brezza & S-Cross. Since these two offer safety, all important features availability & good after sales support to someone on a budget (both undercut safe cars in their competition in terms of price)
Old 26th October 2021, 11:36   #108
BHPian

Yes. I am giving serious thought to S Cross as my next car.
Old 26th October 2021, 11:36   #109
BHPian

As someone in the market for a new car(and recently booked Kushaq), I didnt have any cars from the Maruti Stable in the shortlist. Some of the bhpians suggested to look at Scross and Ciaz, I really didnt like the styling or the overall build quality on both these cars. A close friend had a ciaz, it was a no fuzz car - thats exactly what it was, no thrill no problem Japanese car.

I voted No unfortunately after owning 2 beginner cars. A 2009 Alto and 2013 Swift Dzire. Both had no troubles, very capable city cars and nothing more. The K12 engine although has less power but is buttery smooth. Both cars had quite a lot of creaks and noises in the cabin after a few months of ownership. On the highway, the swift dzire lacked any confidence and even after a Tyre upgrade was nothing to write home about. The NVH level was not good and after the Yokohoma S drives the road noise was unbearable on Cement roads.

A friend of ours bought the Ignis automatic(its some sort of AMT). The fit and finish is definitely improved compared to my previous Dzire. However it is still not anywhere close to Hyundai.

Honestly Maruti Suzuki has lost the plot in terms of retaining their customers. The natural progression after Dzire or Ciaz is just not there. Crossovers and SUVs are practically non existant except for Brezza which is not an upgrade by any means to the above 2 mentioned cars. The brand doesnt want to play in the 15-20 lakh market, they need to step up and show why they are(were?) the market leaders. With Toyota's cash infusement, I was hoping there will be some new models on offering, sadly not the case.
ramgkulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 11:45   #110
BHPian

Voted Yes. But this is not a blanket approval. I may go for a refreshed Brezza/current Ignis for the better build they offer and XL6/Ertiga for the practicality. I am not keen on buying any other car from Maruti.

The only reason I prefer Maruti is the reliability it offers which TATA is still lacking. The day TATA matches Maruti reliability and engine refinement, discussion ends!

Last edited by pradeep_mvpa : 26th October 2021 at 11:47. Reason: typo
Old 26th October 2021, 11:47   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubt there can be a hard answer to this poll ! I was hoping to see a "May be" option along and hence didnt vote !

Reason - most products don't make a cut for me, from the Maruti stable. This comes from a person who had a Swift for himself, had an M800, 2 gens of Wagon R as well in the family. My father still believes only Maruti can make cars, and refuses to even TD any other brand. When I bought my Swift D in 2008, the only option I had was Getz CRDi (no ABS) and then Vista had just launched, which didn't appeal for me for some reason.

Today, 13 years later, the market has evolved and I see a lot more good options compared to what the market has had. I still can't believe how does Maruti give the same crappy power window switches on all vehicles between 4-15L bracket - shows downright silly attitude and "Take it or leave it" statement, which I cant digest.

Since am someone who strongly believes in "pre-worshipped" value buys (4 stunning purchases in the last 5 years), I do get lots of beautiful options in the budget I look for. The only car from Maruti that's on my radar is the S Cross 1.6 D; don't think I'll bother about anything else in the market from Maruti.

Positives from Maruti - strong engine / reliability, super strong A$$ ! For most, these two parameters make the biggest case.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th October 2021 at 11:49.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 11:49   #112
BHPian

I voted No.

I will not buy a Maruti today primarily due to the weak Build Quality. During present times the only Maruti I may consider is the S-Cross since it is somewhat different from the DNA (Referring to Build) of the other models in the Maruti Portfolio. For me a vehicle ownership experience is the overall feel of the Car and not just the Drivability. Even today Swift is my dream to own car but I cannot appreciate the fact that it is built Flimsy.

I recently bought a small car for city purpose. The fight was between Swift and Grand i10 NIOS. Swift's Engine is superb but the overall feel of the car was very light, thin sheet metal, light weight and Flimsy. Needless to say I went ahead with Grand i10 NIOS which itself is nothing to write home about but definitely not flimsy.
Old 26th October 2021, 11:55   #113
BHPian

I voted big NO (having owned a Brezza, which I believe is one of the safest cars in their stable). After an accident I had with an auto rickshaw and the amount of damage it caused on Brezza (while the bajaj auto was unscathed), I can just think of what other cars in Maruti would or could endure.

For me definitely safety comes upfront, made a huge mistake of taking Brezza over ecosport with 6 airbag version (stating this even after Ford's exit). Will be more judicious in my next buy (due already).
Old 26th October 2021, 11:56   #114
BHPian

Voted YES. (definitely for ICE Car)
I owned a 2007 Zen Estilo for 13 years (Totally Fuss free experience).No car can beat the practicality of a Maruti in India. They understand India well and the cars are built to perform in Indian conditions (Bad roads,adulterated fuel, hot and humid climate etc.).
I had to sell it off last year as I got a Hyundai Aura which is a breeze to drive.
Still have a 2010 SX4 (fully loaded ZXi where the spare is also an alloy) which drives perfectly and is usually taken on highways.
Even now I strongly feel that the New Wagon R (1.2L engine ZXI Optional) is the perfect city car and could have served us well but wasn't considered because my wife was adamant about bringing home the Aura.
Still their service network and friendly MASSers are quite good though Hyundai is closing the gap fast.
Old 26th October 2021, 11:56   #115
BHPian

Having lived last few years with a Ford, Fiat Linea, VW Vento, Polo, Honda City, Grand i20 and currently owning an S-cross, Elite i20, Baleno - I'd happily stick to Hyundai as #1 and Suzuki as my #2 when I go out to buy cars. The ownership experience is fuss free. The maintenance is a breeze. Yes, the European cars were better to drive but dealing with the service centers has been painful - and I've not even owned a Skoda. For all the bells and whistles they come with I am going to maintain a distance from the Chinese MG.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:04   #116
BHPian

Voted NO

Personally feel Maruti Cars were worth only with the 1.3 DDIS engine and would be a resounding Yes for 1.6 DDIS.

Their petrol cars are good compared to the competition however the value of overall package goes down considerably.

Now the resale value and service network of Hyundai, Tata & Mahindra are getting better. There may not be as many service centers as Maruti Suzuki however they are more than sufficient. Quality of service need to be improved which will as the sales numbers of these brands are increasing.
Compare a Wagon R to a Tiago or Baleno to Altroz. Tata products are far superior, safe and feature loaded.
Maruti has an edge with Swift which would go down as they are being greedy with the pricing. Tata Punch may be a felicitous answer to Swift though they both have different segmentation.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:06   #117
BHPian

No!

Somehow Maruti/ Suzuki was never my first choice, I never liked any of its older versions. Currently they do have some decent looking options like Baleno, S-Cross but safety ratings is still an open area for them to address.

Also as pointed out by a lot of people, Suzuki has no options in the higher segments which can be considered.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:07   #118
Senior - BHPian

Voted No.

We only buy diesels. Maruti has none.
Even if they did have any, I will try to find a better car in the segment which I am sure won't be tough. We have owned Maruti's, we have sat in many of them. They just aren't build well and the rattles are really irritating. Only S-Cross and to an extent Ciaz are worthy of a buy.

However, in future if they do manufacturer a better build car which suits our requirements then surely we will buy it. I am not brand loyalist, I only care about the end product which is VFM and satisfies our need.

Last edited by harry10 : 26th October 2021 at 12:09.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:09   #119
BHPian

Voted no. I have an i10 and a Vento Tdi, both long in tooth and will go for replacements over the next 2-5 years. I'll need a city runabout for my folks (i10 sub) and a highway muncher for me (Diesel / Hybrid Sedan, probably a BMW pre-loved).

But there's a very little chance my i10 replacement would be a Maruti for the following reasons:

1. Even if safety in a city environment may have a lower role (although I disagree), I find the i10 build and plastics too poor and flimsy. Marutis take it to a whole new level. Even with the city runabouts I like the feeling of sturdiness, planted ride and just overall 'heaviness' and prefer taking my Vento out (Vento is newer and done about 5X the miles vs my i10, which in turn is a weekend only car now for my folks).

2. Our choices must reflect our values. I simply reconcile supporting a brand, forget giving it my business, that makes frankly irresponsible remarks like the one Maruti MD made on safety and Indian consumer. On one hand there's a brand that's sleeping on the wheel. On the other hand 2 Indian giants - Mahindra and Tatas are making every effort to give us cars that belong in this century. I'd much rather reward and be seen in the other. It does no harm that I love Tatas new cars.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:11   #120
BHPian

Yes. I will. Because they are still the most popular and reliable car brand in the country. Their after sales service network is still unmatched.
What I still WONT buy are cars from Tata who is still selling un-reliable, sub-standard and error prone products in the garb of safety and nationalism.
Of course this my personal opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks