Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you still buy a Maruti today?
Yes 346 35.41%
No 631 64.59%
Voters: 977. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2021, 06:42   #241
BHPian

Re: Would you still buy a Maruti today?

From the present Maruti portfolio, I will not buy any car. Not just because of their sub-standard safety rating but also due to unexciting cars with boring interiors and stone age technology(4 speed TC AT, only 2 airbags etc).
Maruti has cocooned itself into catering nascent first time buyers(which are plenty), the die hard loyalists and after sales enthusiasts.
Mach_1590 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 07:52   #242
BHPian

Absolutely, yes! Especially the Ertiga / XL6. It is spacious, comfortable and value for money for large middle class families. As far as the debate around airbags are concerned, I always maintain that while safety features are important, accidents happen almost always because of human error. To me personally, for a depreciating asset like a car, it makes more sense to have a more practical and less expensive option and drive sedately. The icing on the cake is Maruti's presence across India and the fact that it can be serviced pretty much anywhere.
Arun Varma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 08:13   #243
BHPian

While on this topic, another reason why I would never consider a Maruti until they change their ways.
I am ok with some minor niggles, little less mileage, but would never compromise on safety.

Here is another feather in the cap for Maruti.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/made...h-test-2591214
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 10:16   #244
BHPian

I assume the operative word in the thread title is "TODAY".

My present (first as well) car is Tata Zest. Cost me Rs.7 lakhs on road 6 years ago. It's serving me well and scored 4* in GNCAP crash tests conducted in 2016. My use case is mostly travelling with family (3 to 5 people onboard) and frequently on highways. My family's safety is of paramount importance to me and I'm clear that my next car should be at least 4* or 5* in latest GNCAP. I will not settle for anything less.

The only cars in Maruti's current portfolio that suit my family size are the Ertiga & XL6. Both wonderful cars and value for money compared to other 6/7 seaters. But, Ertiga scored 3* in GNCAP in 2019. Also Maruti's attitude towards safety in general is not very heartening to see.

So, while I'm open to Maruti cars in future, I don't see any car in their present portfolio that suits my needs and safety standard.

Last edited by srvm : 29th October 2021 at 10:17.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 11:59   #245
BHPian

It is very interesting to note that even in a forum with members as well informed as any, still 35% of people have voted for buying Suzuki cars. Also, a number of naysayers were simply constrained by the fact that there are no options in Suzuki stable that match their Budgets. No wonder they are able to maintain 40%+ market share.
Old 29th October 2021, 12:53   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
It is very interesting to note that even in a forum with members as well informed as any, still 35% of people have voted for buying Suzuki cars. Also, a number of naysayers were simply constrained by the fact that there are no options in Suzuki stable that match their Budgets. No wonder they are able to maintain 40%+ market share.
Yes, economics plays a major role for most of the buyers.

For a well healed buyer better features and safety is of primary considerations as they can afford it. But for the majority of buyers under 5L, a car represents a significant advancement in life and FE of paramount importance.

That is the reason that Maruti will continue to rule at the lower end, till the general standard of living goes up. In that case watch Maruti upgrade its portfolio.

We consider the VW brand to be a premium brand in India. But VW started just like Maruti as a "peoples car" and just as flimsy. Buying a VW in 80's and 90's was for the poor. Look where they are now. So I have confidence that once the buyer puts his money where the mouth is Maruti will give us better features, build and safety, at a cost. Till then expect the same.
Aroy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 12:54   #247
BHPian

The only Maruti cars that constantly grab my attention are the S-Cross and the XL6. There is something about that design philosophy that appeals to me.

However, with that said, I would only consider those two as second options if I were in the market for a car. For me, there's more options elsewhere in the price bracket those two cars occupy.
Old 29th October 2021, 18:22   #248
BHPian

An acquaintance of mine is selling his 14 year old Estillo. He purchased it through the pre owned route, and is using it for the past 10 years. He is satisfied with the car but desires a replacement as the estilo has become too old and is too basic by today's standards.

His budget is Rs 5.50 lacs ex showroom Price in Kerala

Typical usage is a weekend round trip of 100kms and very very rare weekday usage (mainly for travelling together with family). His average annual running is 5000km (Total odo is 94k). He is not a petrol head, is not enthused by performance, handling or driving pleasure. His main criteria is decent FE and a unremarkable (read trouble free) ownership. His kids want an touchscreen ICE with android connectivity (they are too young to be bothered by the brand/model of the car. If they had been a couple of years older, Sonet might have been their choice in the budget). The requirements scream Wagon R. In short he is your friendly neighborhood common man (Don't underestimate the power of the common man)

However even this person has got tired of being in Maruti for more than a decade. So he decided to go for a Santro sportz variant. I did suggest various models like Tiago/Wagon R) in the price range (Stock Touch screen ICE with smartphone connectivity was a must, so no base models of swift/i10 nios/altroz etc)

This purchase choice should remind as a wake up call to Maruti. Its core base is eroding.

However, i decided to vote Yes, as I still see value in the following cars:

S Cross for being very Un-Maruti ish and having a proper AT , though antiquated TC (Unlike Tata Nexon and Mahindra XUV300 at similar price point)

Brezza for being one of the better sub 4 metre CSUV with NA engines and the 4* GNCAP rating. Also it has a proper AT (though antiquated TC) unlike it's direct competitors Xuv 300, Nexon and WR-V (which doesnt even offer AT)

Ertiga for practicality and intelligent space management (it's just as long and expensive as a 4th gen City/Ciaz and can hold more luggage as a 5 seater, and double up as a practical 7 seater)

Spresso for its practicality and seating position in the chaotic urban environment (it's AT is replacing Celerio as the first choice for ladies looking for an easy to drive car )

Ignis for being retro and quirky

Last edited by Voodooblaster : 29th October 2021 at 18:28.
Old 29th October 2021, 22:37   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I have an S-Cross and Maruti has no car that I can upgrade to, so I can't even if I want to.

In case the need for a small automatic comes up, Ignis will definitely be considered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
- S-Cross : Looking at it as a big hatch with good GC and road manners. Also one of the good petrol NA around.
Most importantly its our Transformer

- Ignis : Of late this car has grown on me as a good city car with the K12B.
Voted YES*. The only two cars I'd consider from the current stable are the S-Cross and the Ignis.

While I already own the S-Cross, I'm hoping that they will someday offer an upgraded version with ESP+TC, 6 Airbags and a better AT gearbox with shifters.

As for the Ignis, the brilliant K12 engine deserves a proper AT gearbox. Would make that a perfect city car.

*Conditions Apply
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 11:22   #250
BANNED

Yes for Ignis Brezza LXI S-Cross Zeta Ertiga CNG Xl6.
Others are not at all value for money as they are not safe and feel outdated IMHO.
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 12:01   #251
Senior - BHPian

Been a happy owner of Maruti with multiple cars but I will think twice before buying Maruti as my next car for below reasons

1. Expensive maintenance - Agree on wide network, but service costs are steep(I spend same amount on My Alto K10 as Corolla Altis on general service)

2. Lack of innovation - They always play safe and launch cars with neutral looking design. Their partnership with Toyota too is looking one way deal in india(No badge engineered Toyota cars like A-Cross here)

3. Safety - Becoming increasingly important. Unfortunately Maruti is not alone here. Apart from the likes of Tata and Mahindra who are taking efforts to make their cars 5 star compliant, all other makers are taking shortcuts to launch india specific models. So Maruti, Renault, Hyundai,Kia (and I guess even Skoda and VW new launches ) might compromise of safety in a bid to offer more fuel efficient and cheaper cars.
Old 31st October 2021, 14:56   #252
BHPian

Voted Yes, as I have replaced my 9 years old Swift with S-Cross just 2 weeks back��. Other contender was obvioulsy Seltos but with barely 3 star safety rating, hard suspension along with reported quality issues like brake jams, windscreen cracks and not to mention the LONG waiting period as people are drooling over Creta and Seltos (ignoring safety here as well but we decimate people to choose Marutis), decided to give Seltos a miss and saved a good 3 lakhs (was looking at HTK+).

Safety is and should be among the major deciding factors while selecting a car. But when I thoroughly evaluated Nexon, it was just not practically sound for me. 3 cylinder engine which is noisy, not much fun to drive in city, 6 month service interval (which is a huge inconvenience for people with low running, who barely manage 10k ODO for yearly services too and thats why chose petrol!) and dicey ASS are just not worth the 2 highlights in it, Safety and feature list.

Only safety cannot be the sole crietria while buying as it will not be useful if a 5-star rated car is just sitting in your garage because it is a pain to drive in city or gives poor FE with the soaring petrol prices or it is a headache to get it serviced or repaired. Maruti is leader because it gives practicality to people which is not heavy on the pocket. Still it has long road to travel for safer cars in India.
ontheway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 15:53   #253
BHPian

Probably no, not just because of safety issues but also because I prefer minimalist design rather than flashy design of Maruti cars.
Old 31st October 2021, 21:57   #254
BHPian

Would have voted Yes. We are in the market for a safe, no nonsense city run about with occasional highway drives, with good enough space and high ground clearance, that will last without any issues. It has to be an automatic. These criteria result in just 2 available options, the Brezza and S Cross. Since we already have a SCross, we are buying the Brezza to replace the 2010 Dzire.

In the future though, if this attitude of Maruti continues, namely no concern to safety, outdated gearboxes, old designs, and paper weight builds, it would be extremely hard for anyone to recommend a Maruti.
Old 31st October 2021, 22:04   #255

Yes , I would. Ertiga and XL6 are really good offerings from Maruti and it ticks most of the items in my checklist. I didn't find a decent competitor to XL6 in that price range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks