Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you still buy a Maruti today?
Yes 346 35.41%
No 631 64.59%
Voters: 977. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2021, 17:08   #166
BHPian

Re: Would you still buy a Maruti today?

Voted No.

Would I buy a Maruti for myself? No, never happenning.

But (and this being a big but (no pun intended here))

If I had to buy a car for my parents / in-laws, it would be a Maruti with eyes closed, why you ask? Because of the simple known and proven fact that they are reliable and service is easy to find! The last thing I want is my senior citizen parents / in-laws deadling with the headache of an unreliable car and multiple visits to a service center!
Old 26th October 2021, 17:14   #167
BHPian

I was refraining myself from posting a comment in this thread. Maruti is clearly loosing its charm among millennials. I upgraded from Wagon R to Nexon. I love Wagon R for its offerings. Truly a "no problem" tall boy. I was considering Brezza as an option as I was looking for CSUV. However power figures of Brezza and premium for 4 speed AT doesn't justified the asking price. No other SUV offerings from Maruti.

IMHO, Maruti considerably lost its aspirational value. Below are the recent purchase among our friends and family:

Honda City -> Creta
Swift -> Creta
Santro -> i20
Wagon R -> Nexon
Wagon R -> Nexon
Wagon R -> Nexon
Swift -> Nexon
Dzire -> Ecosport
Dzire -> Safari
Fiesta -> Kushaq

New purchases:
Amaze
Tiago
Amaze
Nexon
Creta
Seltos
Wagon R
Kwid
Kiger

Surprising only one car from Maruti's stable. Wagon R purchased is intended to use as beater car and he got Corolla for his long drives.

I also feel that brand value of Maruti has also taken beating. People don't see it as prestigious brand. Remember the taxi brand was once associated with Tata. Old school, budget and boring are the terms associated with Maruti now(no offense to owners).

Also there is widespread negativity among public regarding the flimsy build quality of Maruti vehicles. GNCAP ratings and threads like these are not helping either.

Last edited by K_Drive : 26th October 2021 at 17:40.
K_Drive is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 17:15   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
Based on the recent thread by GTO on Maruti and also the poll on what cars BHPians own where Maruti tops the list, I thought it would be nice to know, how many of us would still buy a Maruti today? If yes, what model would you buy from their current line up and why?
No. I would not (I am tempted to say "never")

I have owned an Alto (my first car) and an Ertiga ZDI (own it right now). Maruti, for me, has proven to be neither "low-maintenance" nor "low-cost maintenance". Alas.

Since this is a self-selected group of aficionados, I will submit that I understand the "just for a city runabout" line of reasoning - I was there myself a few years back. But please do consider a good quality, low mileage, ASS-maintained, pre-owned vehicle for the same price as well- and then take the call.
Contrapunto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 17:27   #169
BHPian

Current Marutis are having unexciting engines, poor driving dynamics, steering that does not self centre. On top of all that, they are specifically designed for high mileage and shockingly thin metal builds- compromised safety. The interior switches are from last decade and Maruti will continue to use them over the next decade. Service costs are getting very high as well. I would rather go for Mahindra for their stonking Engines and safe build over Maruti.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 17:33   #170
BHPian

No, nothing in their current line up is exciting enough for me to put my money into.

I remember test driving the 1.6 S-cross when it was launched and absolutely fell in love with it. I wasn't in the market to buy a car at that time so never booked it.
Old 26th October 2021, 17:46   #171
BANNED

Voted YES

The XL6 is a phenomenal value for money. The Swift, WagonR and Dzire are depreciation resistant cars. The Ignis is another good VFM option for people who want a fairly spacious, compact car with high ground clearance.

I'd personally try to avoid a Maruti because I don't want to repeat brands. But, if Maruti are the only carmaker meeting my requirements at the time of upgrading, then I'll take a Maruti.

Moreover, I have some used Maruti's on my recommendation list-
- S-Cross 1.6
- Ignis diesel AMT
- Ciaz diesel hybrid

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 26th October 2021 at 17:47.
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 18:27   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

First I will ask why not? Then say definitely yes. But that does not mean that I will not buy cars from other manufacturers. Maruti will definitely be in my consideration set. I like the S-Cross. I can vouch for Maruti's phenomenal support and service which is very important aspect of car ownership over the years. And you just cannot ignore it. I have experienced it first hand for almotst 20 years now.

Most Maruti cars, despite us having a discussion thread that how it has become expensive, maintaining a maruti is still pocket friendly. Parts are priced reasonably (unless it is SGP) and service charges are reasonable. Also with petrol having crossed the 100 rupee barrier, yes, I will be interested in 'kitna deti hai' thing.
Old 26th October 2021, 18:31   #173
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Despite the tin can build, the low safety standards metal, the fact remains that Maruti
1) has limited competition in below 10 Lac category: at this price point, running costs and maintenance costs wise, Maruti has no competition.
2) above 10 L, Maruti has limited options: till the time the market moves up to that price point, Maruti will continue to rule the roost.

Have had a Maruti in the house since the last 34 years. likely to continue to have one in the house as a city runaround, even if I get some other car for highway runs.
Old 26th October 2021, 18:41   #174
BHPian

I cannot vote, but would have voted Yes.

I have just "upgraded" from a Swift to a Dzire. However, it will serve as the beater car of my house. It ticks most of the boxes for a small, comfortable, and reliable city car which will mostly be driven by a chauffeur.

While I like the Ciaz and the S-Cross, there are no cars in their catalog that meet my purpose as the primary car of the household.
Old 26th October 2021, 18:55   #175
Senior - BHPian

Voted, No as I would not consider a Maruti for myself
However, I am open to recommending a good Maruti option for others
Old 26th October 2021, 19:21   #176
BHPian

Voted a No.

Maruti's lower segment vehicle could be value for money & giving that extra mileage but apart from customer service it does not offer good amount of safety to its occupant.

I would always go with a safer car for my family, rest of the features are secondary items and service issues can happen with any owner irrespective of any brand car he/she owns...
Old 26th October 2021, 19:33   #177
BHPian

Voted No! I wouldn't buy a Maruti Suzuki now with the options we have. During my short stint in India, I went for SX4 Automatic. But that was the only Auto at that time it was sensible and priced rightly. But now, at this situation, I would not. I would prefer Hyundai, Mahindra rather.
Old 26th October 2021, 19:39   #178
Senior - BHPian

If the poll here is any indication, Maruti's market share should be one third or less! But the real world statistics are different!
Old 26th October 2021, 19:49   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted a reluctant No.

Reluctant because...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I like cars like the WagonR (for practicality), S-Presso (cheap city runner), XL6 & Ertiga (2nd-gen is very good), S-Cross (miss the 1.6L diesel though), Ignis & Baleno.
But the fact is...even when I think of a potential new car for the family- we are leaving towards a manual petrol since my elder kid is nearing driving age- the options that spring to mind include Renaults, Nissans, even Hyundais but Maruti hardly features on the list. Somewhere in the race to being the practical, affordable, sensible choice, Maruti has forgotten how to be sexy.

This coming from a family that has owned a '93 Maruti 800 and a '06 Swift- the latter my pride and joy that I drove for a whole 12 years before finally selling it last year! It's not that Maruti has no emotional connect to capitalise on, but they've just lost the plot a bit. Enough has been said on the other thread about how!
Old 26th October 2021, 19:57   #180
bkc
BHPian

Voted Yes!
I'd still buy a Maruti (S-cross) for daily use/highway use. Only if the new 1.5L DDIS / 1.6 DDIS (FIAT) is back in the line-up.

An S-presso for strictly city commute to nearby place.

Reasons for opting maruti :

1) Regular ASS, good rapport with service team.

2) Spares are really fast to arrive or in stock always.

3) Resale! My swift-ZDI can still fetch 5 lacs after 1.2lac kms on odo.

4) Maruti engines are mostly reliable (not exactly toyota but you can relate).

5) Large service network, like first point, if incase, we need support in some other city.

6) Parts sharing, example, intermittent wiper of S-cross ( or sx4) fit my swift.
Gear knob of Ciaz can be fit to many models in lineup.

Reasons going against Maruti:

1) Safety is next to nothing, except for S-cross, which is something solid.

2) No diesel engines now and 1.5 petrol is boring for me.

3) No features, compared to competition.

4) Door rattles in most models.

5) Wind noise / road noise is common.

6) Roofline seems so thin that, during rains, you feel like you're under a tarpaulin.

-Thanks,
BKC

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks