Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you still buy a Maruti today?
Yes 346 35.41%
No 631 64.59%
Voters: 977. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2021, 20:08   #181
BHPian

Re: Would you still buy a Maruti today?

If I am in the market to buy a new or an used car, I wouldn't buy a Maruti nor its disguized cousins in Toyota.

The values I look for in a car do not match with that offered by Maruti, as simple as that , for the same money cars from Tata tick more boxes than cars from Maruti do.
Old 26th October 2021, 20:16   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If the poll here is any indication, Maruti's market share should be one third or less! But the real world statistics are different!
Probably cos we the bhpians are more aware of all Pros and Cons of a specific Brand or Model. And we are a minority. The majority seldom goes into the nitty gritties while buying a car. For them Maruti still is the cheapest to buy and maintain. Things are changing and people are becoming more conscious about safety but for a real change there is still a long way to go. Plus Maruti still has the best network of service centers in India.
Old 26th October 2021, 20:20   #183

Wasn’t allowed to vote, but I would have hit yes. I currently own 3 Maruti ZXi’s - in order of seniority 2011 SX4, 2014 Ertiga and 2016 Ritz each serving different needs. Apart from the S-Cross, they don’t build cars as good anymore.

S-Cross will possibly replace my Ritz or SX4, later this year - let’s see.
ajay.singh.83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 20:25   #184

No, Firstly my monthly running is 1500+ km and can't afford a petrol vehicle. Maruti does not have a diesel.
As most of us have done, I too started off with Maruti Omni, simply because of its utility value and pocket friendly pricing in early 90s. Went onto to buy a second Omni, totaling to about 7 years.
But once I moved out of Maruti to Ford Ikon, then to Chevrolet optra petrol, optra magnum and back to back hyundai Vernas, i did realize the vast difference in materials used, build quality and safety aspects.
Will never look for a Maruti or recommend one.
pjnayak64 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 20:41   #185
BHPian

No
Last Maruti I bought was in 2007
Have owned M800, Alto, Zen Estilo in past. Was happy with all of them. All crossed 1 lac kms mark without any major repairs and fetched good resale value.
I am over the mass market appeal. Now I prefer performance, reliability and safety over price. Thanks to Tbhp for educating me enough.
Maruti may not offer safety but certainly their cars are reliable and performance is adequate for the price. They are cheap to own, maintain and run.
Had I the finances of 2007 and Team BHP not there, Maruti would have been my obvious choice.
That’s true for most/ many Indians who are either first time buyers or don’t value safety over other parameters.
I never understand the argument that Maruti cars are unsafe. Safety is relative. Compared to a family of four travelling on a bike Maruti car are many many times safer. Imagine a two wheeler and a M800 travelling at 30 kmph hit by a state transport bus at 30 kmph from behind.

Last edited by bravo82in : 26th October 2021 at 21:10. Reason: Content missed
Old 26th October 2021, 20:45   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If the poll here is any indication, Maruti's market share should be one third or less! But the real world statistics are different!
For now.
Hopefully Maruti's continued nonchalance will continue to drive this decline faster, fingers crossed!
Old 26th October 2021, 20:59   #187

As a primary family car, No. As a second low mileage- low maintenance car, YES. I recently purchased an Ignis Alpha Manual and added just a blaupunkt touch screen with two speakers for my wife. Her daily running is 15 kilometers round trip, which is expected to grow to 25 kilometers round trip once kids start going to school on november Ist. The vehicle serves her purpose on two accounts. 1) small and handy inside the city 2) Excellent mileage of above 17 kmpl.
madrasilemon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 21:12   #188
BHPian

Ew, no way. At least for someone like me. Then again, I would be considered as a weirdo enthusiast. The Indian market isn't kind to our likes. The cars that I like are either not in production or the manufacturers that made them have shut shop and run away.

I actually used to like Maruti cars, but that was back in the 2000-s. The last Maruti I really liked was the SX-4 and the most recent one I can tolerate now is the S-Cross 1.6 (which they have been quick to put to pasture). The Maruti now is like the Hero of the passenger car world- content with sticker job specials instead of really innovating or at least staying with the times. Even the stock market finds the company's shares boring. I would rather keep on driving my out of production Ford as long as I can than buying a Celery with a lame AMT.
Old 26th October 2021, 21:53   #189
BHPian

My answer would be Yes and No.

If I had to replace my good ole Maruti 800, it would definitely be a Suzuki Alto 800 Lxi, and nothing else . I need a car which would be as easy to drive and park in the narrow lanes and by-lanes of Calcutta and it's suburbs like my Maruti 800 . I won't be buying something like a Honda Jazz of Hyundai i20.

If I had to replace my Honda City, it would be most definitely be another Honda City ; it won't be a Suzuki Ciaz , or Hyundai Verna or Skoda Rapid etc .

Vehicle models are the deciding factors not brands, as far as I am concerned .
Old 26th October 2021, 21:56   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Only if they launch the Jimny!!!!
Nothing else from their stable will ever work for me.
Only Maruti I ever bought was the Gypsy (MG410W & MG413W). And I would consider buying only the new Jimny/Gypsy if and when it finally arrives.

For service and spares, I still feel Maruti-Suzuki is the best option. Low cost of spares, too. Wish they made some cars or SUVs of standard size, like the Grand Vitara.

Toyota and Nissan, previously big-car makers from Japan, have switched to also making minis and micros, but Suzuki has stuck to its label of makers of tiny cars only. And too many of them !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 22:02   #191

Yes, with conditions apply.
I would prefer a Maruti if am looking for a pre-worshipped car mostly as a city runabout.
Marutis do have very good resale value and availability of spares, ease of service make sense.
If am in the market for a new car mostly no. They do not have top cars in the segments they are catering too.
Old 26th October 2021, 22:59   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
Based on the recent thread by GTO on Maruti and also the poll on what cars BHPians own where Maruti tops the list, I thought it would be nice to know, how many of us would still buy a Maruti today? If yes, what model would you buy from their current line up and why?
No. I don’t believe that is the safest option to carry my family around. 1 km or 1000km of travel in this case is irrelevant for me.
Old 26th October 2021, 23:05   #193
Senior - BHPian

This poll is academic in the big picture. We are a niche 0.01% of the buyer populace that's passionate thoughtful and willing to stand apart from the herd in our decisions.

As the owner of 3 vehicles all of which are discontinued:
Ford aspire
Toyota Yaris
Honda CBR250R

I have a different take now.

I'd love some peace of mind for my next vehicle. My Swift was "unsafe" but in a crash it did just fine and in 9 years overall my experience was painless and peaceful every step of the way.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 23:28   #194
BHPian

A Big No! that's what I voted for and will always do so as long as Suzuki doesn't change its mindset towards the Indian market. "Kitna deti hai" is all that they've been focusing on. They compromise on basic things like left side ORVM. I mean how much revenue would you want to make out of a car at the cost of putting people at risk?
Old 26th October 2021, 23:31   #195
BHPian

Voted YES, not because I am ok with a lesser safety, but I don't filter out a brand altogether, despite having a car meeting my requirements. For eg scross or XL6 are competitive enough products in those segments with may be slightly lesser features, but value for money cars.

Last edited by ChandraSekarMN : 26th October 2021 at 23:31. Reason: Typo errors
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks