Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you still buy a Maruti today?
Yes 346 35.41%
No 631 64.59%
Voters: 977. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 13:43   #211
BHPian

Re: Would you still buy a Maruti today?

Voted: Yes
if this poll was almost an year ago it would have been a "No".
Almost a year ago i stared looking out for an upgrade from the current Fiat Linea (Petrol, top end, not the Turbo version) which I have been driving for 12 years without a single glitch. Fixed a budget of 15L, mind you that is almost double that I paid for the top end Linea (8.3L on road back in 2009). My requirements were "bigger" (read more space, seats and/or boot) and 'better" (read a more features) apart from auto transmission (I'm done with manual transmission after driving for 20yrs in Bangalore traffic). Maruti and Mahindra were in my blacklist due to their build quality and couldn't think of switching from a tank-like build of Fiat to any of these. TATA moved out of the black list only because I love the Harrier (and Safari), however both were above my budget.
I was keenly eyeing the launch of Skoda Kushaq, which looked like an upgrade as it was an SUV and the looks, fit and finish of Skoda is something I always admired. They disappointed me with their pricing (17L OTR for decent features and 1.0L AT) and every review mentioned the space (or lack of it) in the rear seat, which is something I could not accept after driving the spacious Linea, so now it didn't feel like an upgrade anymore. I love the Ecosport as well, but still not an "upgrade" from Linea.
Interestingly after much deliberation and research the one and only car that fit my requirements and budget is the Maruti XL6, read a lot about it (also on team-BHP) and now I own a Zeta-AT version (Alpa version didn't justify the cost difference). Those who have been crying about the outdated 4-speed TC have to take a TD and experience it, it is butter smooth and the number 4 does not makes any sense or difference, you have power available any time when you press the throttle and power delivery is smooth, that is what finally matters and not which gear it is in or how many gears it has. If you can do 100kmph at less than 2500rpm, what difference does number of gears make. Today I'm a happy Maruti car owner and there is no other car which gives VFM like the XL6, and hey I saved 1.5L from the 15L budget and got a bigger and better car, that's icing on the cake
Too early to talk about service experience though.
B-Taurus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 13:47   #212
Senior - BHPian

I would choose an Ertiga if I were on the lookout for a people mover. It's affordable, well packaged, spacious and looks good. It would fit my family (of 5) to a tee! Comes with a reliable torque converter gear box. Given my running I wouldn't miss the diesel option!
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 13:49   #213
BHPian

Voted for Yes.

May not be aspirational any more but definitely many practical options to choose from.

1. WagonR. Still no car can match the practicality and usefriendliness of this car in the city. 1.2 Kseries made it even better.

2. Ignis. Among my favorite cars in 5-7 lakh rupees bracket. Swift still looks lovely inside out. Wont mind it for city drives.

3. XL6. Comfortable 6 seater? Budget below 14 lakhs? You have the answer.

4. Ciaz. You get a full fledged sedan for the price of CSUVs and even some premium hatchbacks.

5. Scross. Still a good purchase if Crossovers are beyond budget.
Turbokick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 13:52   #214
BHPian

Voted YES !

As an owner of 2nd generation Wagon-R for 11 years and a Baleno for two & half years, I know that owning a car from MSIL stable is a peace of mind for an average middle class car owner.

However, I will also ensure that my future purchases from them have scored at least 4 Stars in GNCAP (currently only Brezza & S-Cross I believe).
Old 27th October 2021, 13:54   #215
BHPian

Voted yes - picked up the Swift Zxi AMT for my parents driving needs (chauffeur driven). They wanted something ONLY from the Maruti stable, small, and did not 'like' the low roofline of the Baleno. I rejected the WagnoR due to lack of adjustable head-rests.

There is no beating the hassle-free service experience of the Maruti cans errr...cars.
But for the record, I was absolutely happy about the drive - using the manual mode makes for a super smooth drive and even while using the auto mode, it is just a matter of learning how to make the AMT behave.

Personally, though, I don't think I will venture near a Maruti again except for a small urban runabout AND if I live in a Tier 2 or below, city.
Old 27th October 2021, 14:50   #216
BHPian

VOTED YES
While many of the current breed of Maruti cars are dated, there is still value for daily or beat car. I own an Alto AMT and Ertiga new gen AT (that replaced a first gen Ertiga Diesel)
I am actually quite a fan of my new Ertiga AT despite it being an old school 4 speed torque converter for simply doing the job in day to day limited driving needs.
I might even replace my Ertiga with XL6 (would love if a facelift happens with a panoramic sunroof )
Old 27th October 2021, 15:22   #217
Senior - BHPian

Today? 'No'.
For me a car is an object with 'Solid build & Good looks'.

Tomorrow if they launch Jimny 5-door, I might reconsider my vote
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 18:22   #218
BHPian

Voting YES, I feel all the 4speed AT + 1.5L engine combo maruti models would make for great cars to use in the city. Ertiga/XL6, Ciaz, Brezza, and the S-Cross.. Fuel efficient, easy to drive, comfortable, and simple cars with maruti's reliability. If I was in the market for a point A-B car with a 10L ball park budget I'd buy one of the cars I've mentioned.
Old 27th October 2021, 22:35   #219
BHPian

Voted Yes. Best beater car with resale value comes from Maruti stable. Got an S-Presso for odd runs and quite happy with it. Plastic cladding and cheap bumpers are great for city drive especially if you are a person who hates seeing scratches on a car.

For the higher segments, I have overlooked Maruti. Maybe the brand snob value never kept to my mark.
kutts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 22:54   #220
Senior - BHPian

Voted No.

Maruti needs to invest more in safety as well as in electric cars. My vote may change if they launch 5 door Jimmy with at least 4 star NCAP rating. Am I asking too much
Old 27th October 2021, 22:54   #221
BHPian

Voted Yes.

I actually bought Ignis (Top end, AMT) last year.
I have a Linea T Jet, but wanted a second car as replacement for an Alto I was having for 13 years and was being used by my better half for daily commute to work. The car never leaves town limits and is extremely unlikely to see a highway in its life. Wife is not an 'enthusiast' and drives only because she has to. She was clear that she wanted a car without manual gear and wanted Bluetooth connectivity, reverse camera etc for convenience. I looked at the options available, including Tiago and Grand i10 etc but finally decided on the Ignis looking at all aspects, including service (must admit service for ANY manufacturer is below par in Pondy).
Maruti, despite shortcomings, is likely to remain the most 'suitable' car for a significant proportion of people in India and in certain situations (or patterns of use). It will be wrong to apply a blanket label of 'unworthiness' on Maruti.
sparameswaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 01:59   #222
BHPian

Voted Yes and specifically because I own the 1st gen Brezza. Neither the Venue, Sonet, Nexon offer the kind of space it offers for 3 people at the rear. I know that it lacks the gizmos, however, it's been a fuss free ownership for the last 5 years.

If I were to upgrade from here, the next option is Harrier/XUV as Seltos has its own share of problems.
Old 28th October 2021, 02:17   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting results.

So even in the enthusiast’s backyard MUL has managed to hold on to a ~35% market share?
Old 28th October 2021, 04:23   #224

I would buy a Maruti but only 2 models and an upcoming model will be considered.
The models are, Scross, Brezza and the Jimny. Reasons:-
1)They are all safe having 4 or 5 star rating.
2)Good reliable petrol engines which can run without issues.
3)Vehicle interiors are decent though not great.
4)Good service centres available and most corners.
5)Good sale services.
6)Indian brand which gets done with the scare of the brand leaving India.
Old 28th October 2021, 10:42   #225
BHPian

Voted yes.

Maruti still has few cars that stand tall on merits - Brezza, Scross, XL6. After owning an RE for the last 7 years, one starts realizing the importance of having a fuss-free ownership experience. Not sure which other brand provides the same at Maruti's pricepoint.

Add to that, I am not a gadget fan (still riding RE Electra) and solid mechanicals are enough for me. Maruti typically has these well covered.

Last edited by warrioraks : 28th October 2021 at 10:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks