Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If in the market for a hatch, would you buy the Palio Stile 1.1?
Yes 12 23.53%
No 39 76.47%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2007, 19:00   #166
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
Time to close this thread I think...
No . Its been ages since we have had such excitement on the forum . Besides the person who started this thread and steeroid still haven't yet had their say.
Old 24th May 2007, 19:03   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
By that logic should we compare the 1.1 to the SRV too? Which is almost twice the price slightly lengthier, wider and shorter than the swift and the palio? You get better comfort, legroom, stability, ride quality the works. When you compare a set of cars basic comparison is with Engine Capacity or Power, type of fuel injected, what class it belongs to? Entry level B or B+ or price. Not just by size alone. Due to which all the cars that I have mentioned fall into one category. And I request you to look at the prices of all these above mentioned cars. And put up the differences here.
The competition with SRV is out of question. SRV is an optra without boot and hence comprehensively rommier, larger and powerful.
There's not much of a difference b/w swift, palio and the getz. If i am getting a B+ segment car for B class money, I call it VFM.

Quote:
Except those who have never owned a car before or are madly obsessed with FIAT badging.
I don't see any reason as to why would you call someone buying a stile 1.1 as madly obsessive, i take an exception to this. Why name someone as madly obsessive. He/she might have different reasons to buy the car apart from reasonable FE and performance and what you and I can think.

Quote:
Amit, i beg to differ on this. You cannot rave and rave about your NA engine being better than the CRdi and how mercs have failures and hence the reason not to get the engine in India. Wonder why they are planning to do so now? Things haven't changed much. Fuel is still adulterated. And I dont see how a manufacture's claim can change so much to say "old fiat FAQ" etc. And what they seemed to have put as FAQ aren't crap. Its what they believed in at that moment and within a short period of time it all seems to have changed.
I think that FAQ is quite old and is of the time when ford was selling the antiquated 1.8 diesel ikon, in the small car b/b+ segment we only had the Indica's 1.4 which is awfully underpowered. At that time the 1.9 63 bhp engine was quite good. Now the competition has changed, you have cars like swift diesel (fiat knows how good that engine is ), fiesta diesel, verna, the market has moved on and so has FIAT. Atmost it can be termed as an oversight, due to lack of better competition.
Old 24th May 2007, 19:23   #168
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The competition with SRV is out of question. SRV is an optra without boot and hence comprehensively rommier, larger and powerful.
There's not much of a difference b/w swift, palio and the getz. If i am getting a B+ segment car for B class money, I call it VFM.
Well, I know it cant be a fair comparison it was actually sarcasm. Just got it up since HR said considering size.

Quote:
I don't see any reason as to why would you call someone buying a stile 1.1 as madly obsessive, i take an exception to this. Why name someone as madly obsessive. He/she might have different reasons to buy the car apart from reasonable FE and performance and what you and I can think.
Well seeing what the stile is capable of (read comparitively low FE to other cars amongst the class and sluggishness) and seeing that one has a lot more cars to choose from, the major factor influencing would be perceptive looks, built like a tank feeling, and the Fiat badge. Unless you can come up with other reasons.

At 990kgs and 9.x kgm I dont see how it could be great at FE. It would have been at 100-150kgs lighter. Or slightly more powerful and torquey.

RX135, thats the most simple and precise answer I have seen on this thread yet .

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 24th May 2007 at 19:30.
Old 24th May 2007, 19:29   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well seeing what the stile is capable of (read comparitively low FE to other cars amongst the class and sluggishness) and seeing that one has a lot more cars to choose from, the major factor influencing would be perceptive looks, built like a tank feeling, and the Fiat badge. Unless you can come up with other reasons.
You can also say all the virtues of old palio in a new better looking shape (though i found the old one better) with better FE and lowered price. How does that sound?
Old 24th May 2007, 19:34   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You can also say all the virtues of old palio in a new better looking shape (though i found the old one better) with better FE and lowered price. How does that sound?
Well at 990kgs, 57bhp and 9.x kgm I really doubt it being great at FE. Yes, I too like the looks of the earlier palio. However the drop in price is going to be important. If it only was slightly more torquey and powerful. Or lighter.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 24th May 2007 at 19:35.
Old 24th May 2007, 20:19   #171
BHPian

Quote:
No . Its been ages since we have had such excitement on the forum . Besides the person who started this thread and steeroid still haven't yet had their say.
Yes..and I am missing ROMS too. Just kidding..

Last edited by Ajay_J : 24th May 2007 at 20:23.
Old 24th May 2007, 20:23   #172
Senior - BHPian

This thread must be the the quickest 0-12pages thread around.

Now here is my two cents.

Before i say a word , (with one hand on the bible) am not a fiat fan or any ---------------hater club which many are in this forum .
  • I own a fiat personally and the association with this car has been a very wonderful experience. I have done around 130000kms and this car is as strong as ever(with a little bit of exaggeration). I have once had a 20K service but usually its near 4K for every 7oookms . Now I know its not related to palio stile but its just a brief note on a Fiats service bill history.
  • As many had pointed out in the thread the new palio is not a well thought after product especially when it comes to interiors(dashboard) , poor brakes and low FE. But I dont see the point in blaming 1.1 for power , if you are for power buy 1.6 . No ones stopping you.
    • Yes I agree the car is priced at a premium , thats a mistake Fiat always made and is still making. Apart from that I dont see anything seriously wrong with the car.
    • The real problem is that this car wasnt enough to resurrect the long lost respect for the brand Fiat .
    • They needed a much stronger product to make a come back statement .
      • Its like this ...imagine you have been flunking your exams for a long time in every subject and soon every one will label you as a looser. From that point if you want to be seen as a winner its not enough that you pass just 4 exams out of 8 . You need to score a 90+ , thats when people will notice and respect you. (the example may be stupid......blame that on my pea nut brains) The point is if they had wanted Indians to respect Fiat again they needed a much stonger product. They had it but they never brought it out . Instead they have brought another Shamu but one who's passed in 4 subjects out of 8 unlike Ramu who had flunked in 6 out of 8. It simply wont work this time.
  • They need a better product like Linea now , make an image for themselves .
Maybe am wrong here, but this is what I feel the real problem is.

**** Please guys stop this Baleno / Fiat / Tata / Crdi fights ! It makes the whole forum a biased report of every car which is exactly against the point of why people are relying on TeamBhp for a review.

Last edited by maxbhp : 24th May 2007 at 20:28.
Old 24th May 2007, 20:38   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
... I fail to see how the Palio is a 'world-class' car seeing as how it is only sold to the third-world. Unless you meant third-world-class car. The Swift, the Corsa Sail, the Getz, now those are truly world-class cars.
Actually the Palio Stile is still sold in other parts of the world, including countries with a better motoring culture and history, like the UK. I guess it comes with a 1.6lit and a lot more horses in those markets, but it is still the same car, model, brand, etc.

Not that I'm defending Fiat here. But I can imagine buyers looking for a petrol car with space and stability, zeroing on the Xeta, and just as they were about to walk away disappointed with the build quality and the looks, spy a very good looking little hatch in the same showroom - Italian - and only Rs. 75K more.

I wonder how the Getz Prime would fare in a face-off with the Palio Stile. Those 4 little pots are going to feel spent and stretched in that car too. Wont feel much world class then, will it ?
Old 24th May 2007, 21:03   #174
BANNED

Just a little doubt. We all know that Fiat and Tata are marketting the cars under one roof. Well almost. However are there separate marketing teams for both the manufacturers? What is the role Fiat is playing in the deal apart from using the Tata showrooms for RR, services, sales etc. Because as you say, the indica being the closest competitor to the 1.1L stile will the tata marketing team suggest the palio or the indica to prospective customers? Wont that eat away the sales further?
Old 24th May 2007, 21:18   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Just a little doubt. We all know that Fiat and Tata are marketting the cars under one roof. Well almost. However are there separate marketing teams for both the manufacturers? What is the role Fiat is playing in the deal apart from using the Tata showrooms for RR, services, sales etc. Because as you say, the indica being the closest competitor to the 1.1L stile will the tata marketing team suggest the palio or the indica to prospective customers? Wont that eat away the sales further?
I think Fiat was getting a really raw deal. The car-pushers in the Tata Showrooms that I've been to, know as much about cars as they know about genetically modified foods i.e. it doesn't really matter what it is that they are selling. There is typically a different person assigned to a model for that day/month/week, but the Tata cars sell not because they are better, or because the sales force is so full of conviction - but simply because they make such fantastic value for money (at least at the time of purchase). I don't think the Tata showroom people push Fiat cars as much as they could, because they need to well, show them off, talk about them, etc. They only talk about the Fiats when prodded. When customers ask about the relatively higher price, they say "People like Fiat because of it's Technology" or some such meaningless stuff - no explanation of build quality, materials, DOHC, etc.
Old 24th May 2007, 21:46   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone with hooks into Fiat India oblige by mailing those intelligent gents this thread?
Old 24th May 2007, 21:51   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Can anyone with hooks into Fiat India oblige by mailing those intelligent gents this thread?
Rapideffect (Manoj) knows some of the esteemed Execs at Fiat India.

Manoj, can you pls do the needful?

Last edited by finneyp : 24th May 2007 at 22:04.
Old 24th May 2007, 22:35   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
It is really unfortunate that because of the biased attitude of some Senior BHPians and some 'Dist' BHPians too, this forum which was supposed to be Forum for all Indian Car lovers is slowly becoming a Forum for Maruti lovers and Fiat haters!
I really wouldn't say that. Team-BHP is known to have a go at any company that's not selling cars that are up to the mark. We've had a go at HM-Mitsubishi for screwing up the Lancer's power, Maruti Suzuki for selling us cars that are past their sell by date, Hyundai for being copycats, Honda for the ugly, overpriced NHC and CRV, Tata for various reasons and even Mercedes Benz for substandard quality. I love the Palio 1.6 for being a pocket rocket, I liked the Palio 1.2 as a steady and safe cruiser, but, with just 57bhp, the Stile 1.1 is just not at par with other cars today. I see no reason why the Stile should be spared.
Old 24th May 2007, 22:40   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
. I see no reason why the Stile should be spared.
That was the main motive behind this thread in the first place.. we dont discriminate against a few car manufacturers.. Dont take things personally here.. It does not matter whether the person is a Senior or a newbie.. if you have a point.. we would love to know about it.

Godfather
Old 24th May 2007, 22:41   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SRV is an optra without boot and hence comprehensively rommier, larger and powerful.
Isint a Palio a Petra without a boot or is it the other way round?

Quote:
Atmost it can be termed as an oversight, due to lack of better competition.
Why not set the trend, like Hyundai did, FYI Hyundai had the Accent/Elantra that time, Skoda had the Octavia 1.9TDi. And if you cant get the technology its fine, why ridicule manufacturers like Mercedes by saying it faces problems?

Quote:
Actually the Palio Stile is still sold in other parts of the world, including countries with a better motoring culture and history, like the UK. I guess it comes with a 1.6lit and a lot more horses in those markets, but it is still the same car, model, brand, etc.
Just check the UK Site, it has ABS/Airbags, has new interiors MKIV, if we get this in India, this thread would not exsist in the first place.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th May 2007 at 00:06. Reason: you've already used the Report Post feature.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks